• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk (1-4b) SideScroller |OT|

Eccocid

Looks cool gonna get is soon..but...
i wish it was en expansion pack for monsters game bohoh i love it os much i need more PJ Monsters levels for playing co-op ;;

MrPliskin

Banned
Eccocid said:
Looks cool gonna get is soon..but...
i wish it was en expansion pack for monsters game bohoh i love it os much i need more PJ Monsters levels for playing co-op ;;
Check out the free Facebook game. It's a big enough departure to make it interesting.

HiVision

Himself said:
I need a demo. This looks fun. I thought the same thing about PJS2 which for the most part wasn't terribly fun.

There will be a demo in a few weeks. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have fun with PJS2, it might worth a re-look because we did patch it with some nice features such as checkpoints and being able to take a break from a level. Also, remember to have fun with the spin attack (spin and then R3) as the game is balanced towards people who have played PJS1 and who can get to grasps with that move.

Himself

HiVision said:
There will be a demo in a few weeks. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have fun with PJS2, it might worth a re-look because we did patch it with some nice features such as checkpoints and being able to take a break from a level. Also, remember to have fun with the spin attack (spin and then R3) as the game is balanced towards people who have played PJS1 and who can get to grasps with that move.

I would by no means call PJS2 a bad game. I just felt the levels were a bit too long and the pace of the game was a bit too slow for my particular tastes. I'm just naturally more inclined toward the hectic style of shooters. So in this case I would say PJS2 is actually a pretty damn good game, just not for me. Definitely looking forward to a demo!

Adam J.

This game inspired me to go back and play PJS2 which I initially didn't enjoy. Not sure if it was the patch, but I'm really getting back into it and having a blast.

I promised myself I'd beat PJS2 before I bought Shooter, but it looks so awesome. I'll probably break down and get it this weekend.

Shearie

HiVision said:
Since we're on the topic of PJS2, I never finished the game even though I think it's great because the turtle boss was hard as hell and whenever I went back to the game after I turned the system off, I had to replay the whole level again to get back to the boss which sucked badly. You mentioned the taking a break from a level feature you added, does that mean I can start back at the last checkpoint whenever I get back to the game?

Himself

Ken Masters said:
I suck at these type of games so I'll wait for the $5 sale

If this is a well-designed shooter you will always get just a bit further each time you play. I suck at them too. Despite their intimidating difficulty, shmups are one of the fairest genres out there as you learn from your mistakes. ...Not that I'm a pro or anything so maybe I shouldn't be giving a pep talk...

spats said:
I'm getting a bit tired of fake retro vector graphics. Looks like Gravity Crash and TerRover. Thenagain it has HFB's music and is made by Q-Games...

Same here. I plan to get this, but I hate the fake vector graphics. I would have been happier if they kept it PixelJunk Shooter style.

HiVision

Shearie said:
Since we're on the topic of PJS2, I never finished the game even though I think it's great because the turtle boss was hard as hell and whenever I went back to the game after I turned the system off, I had to replay the whole level again to get back to the boss which sucked badly. You mentioned the taking a break from a level feature you added, does that mean I can start back at the last checkpoint whenever I get back to the game?

Yes, that's exactly what we added. So you can restart right before the final boss screen now, even if you power down the ps3.

Shearie

HiVision said:
Yes, that's exactly what we added. So you can restart right before the final boss screen now, even if you power down the ps3.
Sounds good. Gonna go back and finish the game now.

ChryZ

I've bought the game last night and finished it on normal in one sitting. I loved every second so far and will be back for more. The music is awesome, especially the "last level" tune fucking rocks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh god. I was ambling along playing Dark Souls, thinking this 'crush' of games wasn't going to affect me - mostly just Uncharted 3. But Dark Souls is sucking up all my time, Uncharted is next week (!), Battlefield 3 looks too beautiful to ignore, and now this. Aaargh. Still haven't finished Shooter 2.

Can't resist though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Last Level is composed of pure concentrated awesome. I honestly feel that whoever was in charge of it should get some kind of medal for visual engineering and imagination as it's literally unlike anything I've seen before in anything ever - and hell knows I've seen enough scene demos to feel qualified to make this statement.

Also, the music there is completely sublime. HFB is a verifiable musical genius, and I need that song right now. Since the game can save videos of your playthroughs, I'm going to record that last level and have it loop in the background as a screensaver.

JoeFenix said:
I started uploading some score runs on youtube, might be of some help to people who want to get a feel for the scoring system!

www.youtube.com/joefenix
How did you make it to say Q-games in the bottom lower corner?

kassatsu

Banned
Lord Error said:
The Last Level is composed of pure concentrated awesome. I honestly feel that whoever was in charge of it should get some kind of medal for visual engineering and imagination as it's literally unlike anything I've seen before in anything ever - and hell knows I've seen enough scene demos to feel qualified to make this statement.

Also, the music there is completely sublime. HFB is a verifiable musical genius, and I need that song right now. Since the game can save videos of your playthroughs, I'm going to record that last level and have it loop in the background as a screensaver.

How did you make it to say Q-games in the bottom lower corner?
He uploaded via the game. It has youtube support.

JoeFenix

Lord Error said:
Ah OK, so the video encoding adds the logo.

Actualy the game engine displays the logo while you are recording in-game.

I wish more games had a youtube upload feature, I love it!

JoeFenix

Himself said:
Awesome music. I like the WipEout style robotic female announcements. This is all starting to look too good to resist much longer for my broke ass.

Yeah, I love the stereotypical Asian accent that they put on it. It's fun to spam weapon switches!

kassatsu

Banned
Just beat Brutal. That was a challenge :)

3 visual style cheat codes (Need to beat it on Brutal for entry to work)

Enter these on title screen:

Super Pixelated: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → O X
Gray-scale: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → X O
Inverted: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ L1 R1 L1 R1 X O

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kassatsu said:

2 visual style cheat codes (dunno if you have to win on brutal for this to work)

Super Pixelated: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right O X
Gray-scale: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right X O
Oh crap the end of last level visual mode is one of those, I was really hoping for that. Hope it works without beating brutal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hard mode visuals are not that great IMO, at least on level 1 that I've played. That's probably my only visual complaint about the game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If it weren't for check points, this game would be way too frustrating to complete. I'm not feeling why they thought blending your ship color, your bullets, enemy ships, enemy bullets all nearly the same color. My wife was watching me play this and mentioned how confusing it was to just watch...

I'm mostly enjoying the game. I started up on Normal and dying a lot. The boss battle on 1-4 was pretty fun. But yeah the colors make the game artificially hard it feels like.

wouwie

Just finished the game on normal and enjoyed it a lot. It's polished, visually very nice, has awesome music and it's smooth and fun to play. The last stage had neat visual filters and effects. Also, i started playing the first sectors on hard and i love the new colors.

Going to replay some levels and try to finish it on hard now. Great game!

Draft

This game is great. Is the soundtrack available anywhere? It's like some ultra bizarre remix of a Samurai Champloo soundtrack.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Draft said:
This game is great. Is the soundtrack available anywhere? It's like some ultra bizarre remix of a Samurai Champloo soundtrack.

Really, I don't enjoy the soundtrack as much. It's just a rehash/remix of Pixeljunk Shooter music. I enjoyed it in that game, but I didn't want to hear it again (I didn't play PJ2). I mean it was good the first time I heard it, wasn't too much of a fan this time around.

... I definitely think the best parts of this game so far as the boss battles, and I've only played the first two. But I really enjoy them significantly more than the normal stages of the game. Mostly because everything is so focused and there isn't a lot of color blending that occurs on the stages.

I love the visual style of it all, but doesn't it bother anyone else how everything is the just the different shades of the same color? Granted my eyes are starting to get better at focusing on my ship, the enemies, the enemy projectiles, but still I feel like it's making the game more difficult than it would be to just have them all different colors.

Mostly enjoying this game. I'm on 3-1 playing on normal and looking forward to attempting the game on Hard for the trophy.

Draft

It's the first time I've heard any of it.

At first, the monochromatic color scheme was a little irritating because enemies, bullets and the environment all sort of blend together. However, after about an hour I was pretty used to the game's look and now it's easy to distinguish between the environment, enemies and bullets.

Himself

I didn't have any trouble with the color scheme at all. The only time I got effed was when things would suddenly pop out of the walls and instakilled me.

My biggest complaint is the amount of shots it takes to kill the enemies. Takes too damn many and it slows down the game. I also had to get used to the hit box being the entire ship as opposed to some invisible dot like in most Japanese shmups which was another thing that kinda slowed the game down a bit.

I had a good time with the game on normal. The last stage was incredibly cool and I'm looking forward to playing through on hard.

Did the ending not make much sense to anyone else? Maybe since it was 1 in the morning and I was bleary eyed when i beat it, I wasn't quite sure what was going on.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Himself said:
I didn't have any trouble with the color scheme at all. The only time I got effed was when things would suddenly pop out of the walls and instakilled me.

My biggest complaint is the amount of shots it takes to kill the enemies. Takes too damn many and it slows down the game. I also had to get used to the hit box being the entire ship as opposed to some invisible dot like in most Japanese shmups which was another thing that kinda slowed the game down a bit.

I had a good time with the game on normal. The last stage was incredibly cool and I'm looking forward to playing through on hard.

Did the ending not make much sense to anyone else? Maybe since it was 1 in the morning and I was bleary eyed when i beat it, I wasn't quite sure what was going on.
The ending only makes sense
if you've played Shooter 1 and 2.

kassatsu

Banned
Himself said:

The ending cutscene changes a little bit on every difficulty. Just the last part. When you beat it on brutal you know that the shooter series of pixeljunk games are over.

kassatsu said:
The ending cutscene changes a little bit on every difficulty. Just the last part. When you beat it on brutal you know that the shooter series of pixeljunk games are over.

I pray for pixeljunk platformer

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kassatsu said:

2 visual style cheat codes (Need to beat it on Brutal for entry to work)

Super Pixelated: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right O X
Gray-scale: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right X O

ahah awesome.

By the way, this is the most visually advanced retro-looking game I have ever seen. Two little details impressed me more than anything:

1) The distortion around the edges of the faked tube display (easily noticeable during the credits if you fire close to the edges - you see the distorted bullets trajectory)

2) If you look close enough, you can see the horizontal scanlines ffs!

sarcoa

Ken Masters said:
I pray for pixeljunk platformer
Psn_pixeljunk_eden_icon.png

Top Bottom