• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

The eye rendering was pretty good in the earlier shots, and is now significantly worse.

(I've been prone to looking at eye rendering in detail since seeing an in-depth presentation on UE4's eye shading)

For Real.

I superimposed the old eyes on the new face. Nothing wrong with the model, it's just the new eyes are really off.

Old Eyes + New Face
me-aoldeyesxxaw7.jpg

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I feel like I am taking crazy pills when people say that the faces or facial animations look good. They look like amateurish, frankly. Considering Asari are supposed to be the beacons of beauty, why have they all looked fat faced? Almost every character shown looks boring and unattractive.

You're absolutely insane if you think people are only complaining because the women aren't attractive. The guys look not great either, but the comparison between model and in-game is far, far closer objectively for Scott.

Griss

Exactly graphics are the least of my concern. That preview shreds everything but the graphics.

Thanks for saving me some money. That is an evisceration.

and then contrast to ME3

They've absolutely gone backwards here, somehow. In a quest for higher facial animation fidelity they seem to have created a new system that's either bugged or has so many moving parts that it creates serious uncanny valley effects.

The Jack animation there is perfectly acceptable - I barely notice it, and can tell what she's emoting. The Ryder one... just doesn't look human.

Laiza

For Real.

I superimposed the old eyes on the new face. Nothing wrong with the model, it's just the new eyes are really off.

Old Eyes + New Face
me-aoldeyesxxaw7.jpg
Some proper shadowing, more prominent reflections, and some color sure do make a HUGE difference.

Is it too much to hope for them to patch it down the line?
The answer is yes.

Erimriv

I'll play it on XB1, if it looks as good as The Witcher 3 at 900p then Im more than happy. If Battlefield 1 looks good at 60 fps then how can this game look bad at half the framerate? I haven't watched gameplays.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There is a great deal to be said for what is happening around the eyes, and when the game is in motion, the more natural movement of the lips. I should also point out that I could make the same comparison with male character models. None of this is to say that the downgrade is worth worrying about, but the final quality does leave a lot to be desired.
I mean this is down to CDPR going the extra mile and handcrafting a shit ton of the conversations after using procedurally generated animation as a starting point, and ofc their models are just wow, this is better screen of a random npc
CDPR was and still remains next level. Still I think ME:A based on the footage today and Shinobi's screenshots.

Wedzi

Banned
I'm curious if Bioware using Frost Bite instead of the usual Unreal Engine for their games affected facial animations in anyway? Granted I don't think Bioware's facial animations have ever been great but they made pretty good progress going from ME 1 - 3. What advantages/disadvantages does Frost Bite give over Unreal? Really curious especially since EA wants to make Frost Bite their all encompassing engine for everything.

Tonky

I'm curious if Bioware using Frost Bite instead of the usual Unreal Engine for their games affected facial animations in anyway? Granted I don't think Bioware's facial animations have ever been great but they made pretty good progress going from ME 1 - 3. What advantages/disadvantages does Frost Bite give over Unreal? Really curious especially since EA wants to make Frost Bite their all encompassing engine for everything.
I would say no because it actually looks like a step back from DA: I, which also ran on Frostbite.

Zackat

I was actually gonna ask that. I remember Mirror's Edge: Catalyst being fine though? idk

Crossing Eden

Actually they chose Frostbite on their own, they were actively looking for engines to replace the one they had used last gen. They chose Frostbite because it was WAY better than their engine at terrain creation and came out the box with PBR support for way higher graphical fidelity. Thing is like with any engine they had to make a ton of optimizations and changes to suit their needs for an RPG since it was first and foremost engine designed to make FPS games.

I was actually gonna ask that. I remember Mirror's Edge: Catalyst being fine though? idk
Actually i've always felt like facial animation is the weakest part of the games rendered in frostbite but that may just be uncanny valley since it looks so good.

sgs2008

The game is not exactly a graphical power house. It never rly looked amazing to begin with,was expecting more from the engine

Phamit

Dragon Age Inquisition wasn't top notch either in that regard, but it worked much better there. I don't know what the Mass Effect Team did, if they used DAI basis or developed something new for the facial animations, but it didn't worked out

Laiza

I mean this is down to CDPR going the extra mile and handcrafting a shit ton of the conversations after using procedurally generated animation as a starting point, and ofc their models are just wow, this is better screen of a random npc

CDPR was and still remains next level. Still I think ME:A based on the footage today and Shinobi's screenshots.
Even their hair pales in comparison to what Epic is doing with Paragon, though:
Wish we could get hair like this in every game. At least until the day stuff like TressFX and Nvidia Gameworks hair become doable with better results.

honestly what's bothering me the most and I know that people are tired of hearing about it, but the recent romance video really shows how jarring the facial animations are:

JPyfwh1

ciqoQeU

The ones in Mass Effect 1 and DA:I were less jarring. Maybe it's the eyes or the animation structure in the face, it just seems less believable I guess?
I think they try to do more on the animation, trying to make it more expressive but it's not there yet so we come up with lots of weird derpy faces, while in the previous games, the face are very stiff, but at least it won't get the really weird face expression.

Lime

I see the game engine hasnt changed much

New engine and new team, they're just reusing the same animations from ME1-3 apparently. I just saw the famous cross-arms-lean-back pose by Ryder and the lean-back on left-leg-with-hanging-arms.

PMyBG0z

That animation bug you see is also replicated in ME3 if you reload between holstered and non-holstered weaponry.

Fanuilos

I think they try to do more on the animation, trying to make it more expressive but it's not there yet so we come up with lots of weird derpy faces, while in the previous games, the face are very stiff, but at least it won't get the really weird face expression.

Yeah, it looks like most of the animation is in the jaw, particularly the lower jaw, and eyebrows while the rest of the face remains stationary. Not a great look or all that immersive.

Crossing Eden

Even their hair pales in comparison to what Epic is doing with Paragon, though:

Wish we could get hair like this in every game. At least until the day stuff like TressFX and Nvidia Gameworks hair become doable with better results.
I mean that's because UE4 is a powerhouse and is insanely flexible with different game types.

I see the game engine hasnt changed much
It's a completely different one actually.

New engine and new team, they're just reusing the same animations from ME1-3 apparently. I just saw the famous cross-arms-lean-back pose by Ryder and the lean-back on left-leg-with-hanging-arms.

PMyBG0z

That animation bug you see is also replicated in ME3 if you reload between holstered and non-holstered weaponry.
Yea I just watched the romance video and surprisingly they're reusing a shit ton of animations from the original trilogy:

that's pretty surprising to see actually.

Top Bottom