• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
I'll buy it even more if it's a train wreck, honestly.
Just to say I experienced it.
It kind of sounds cool though. What if there's an online co op where you start out in different parts of a planet, working as a single player (metroid mode). Each one has to finish certain parts for the others to move on, then everyone meets up and flies into space for an amazing on rail mode culminating in a huge boss fight? Sounds damn cool.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
How about this.
Metroid takes place on the subscreen. Starfox takes place on the main screen.
You play both games. AT THE SAME TIME.

filler

Banned
what if the game is meant to be played both ways at the same time? one person controls Samus on the main screen, with the wiimote and nunchuk. the other controls Fox on the upad. Best console coop ever!

boiled goose

good with gravy
I am imagining it now.

Retro is working on a Metroid game with space combat sections.

Miyamoto comes over and says, hmmm, I have an idea. Let's put Star fox in this!
Just like they did to Rare with Dinosaur planet.

A part of me still believes that someone higher up forced retro to put the waggle controls in DKCR. No way the developers would use this and not even include other control options given that even buttons on the wiimote and wiimote+nunchuck are unused.

If this abortion of an idea is true, I will be part of the meltdowns.

As a huge fan of BOTH star fox and metroid, this is not a game I want, even if it ends up being fun.
It might be the first time a game becomes an anti system seller haha.

AntMurda

It's a techdemo. ;)

I believe he's trying to say that this rumour is made up and they used the Battle Mii demo as an inspiration.

Rumor is absolutely nonsensical. But calling everything a "tech demo ;)" is meme. Tech demos wouldn't have a producer from the Software Development Group of EAD handling it, as Eguchi presented himself during the demonstation.

Battle Mii is a work in progress to whatever it ends up being or stuffed into. Maybe a full blown smash brothers spinoff in the third person shooting world, or maybe a mini-game stuffed into the next Wii U Play.

BurntPork

Banned
How about this.
Metroid takes place on the subscreen. Starfox takes place on the main screen.
You play both games. AT THE SAME TIME.

njkZa.jpg

Sadist

Rumor is absolutely nonsensical. But calling everything a "tech demo ;)" is meme. Tech demos wouldn't have a producer from the Software Development Group of EAD handling it, as Eguchi presented himself during the demonstation.

Battle Mii is a work in progress to whatever it ends up being or stuffed into. Maybe a full blown smash brothers spinoff in the third person shooting world, or maybe a mini-game stuffed into the next Wii U Play.
Or that. :p

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I am in shock. Absolute shock at the amount of people that believe that rumor. Wow.

Someone take a list of names down for future laughs.

Metroid-Star Fox Fusion Saga. I feel like we are in the old IGN Boards!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What graphical features are you talking about? kinda curious.

I am in shock. Absolute shock at the amount of people that believe that rumor. Wow.

Someone take a list of names down for future laughs.

Metroid-Star Fox Fusion Saga. I feel like we are in the old IGN Boards!

Only an awesome hint about Nintendo's launch lineup can save us.

japtor

All this talk about Mario reminded me of this old image I have saved:

lduzG.gif
But Daisy is the better princess.
It's just a megabit isn't it? Or near enough.
The difference is base 10 vs base 2 or something. Like "kilo"/"mega"/etc are 1000x vs 1024x (the latter is technically "kebi"/"mebi"/etc iirc). It's why a 1TB drive ends up formatting to 900something GB in a computer (...other than OS X cause Apple switched it up a few years back).
Oh, so Nintendo's chip design crew isn't quite dead yet? That's good to know (doesn't rule out that certain aspects might be licensed though). They designed some pretty cool concepts back in the early Gamecube days, but most of the engineers (almost all of them former Silicon Graphics staff) left the company around 2001 if I remember correctly. But then again, I know better than to underestimate Nintendo, and they're damn good at covering their tracks.
What are the ArtX people at AMD up to? Hell is there any indication at all about what AMD team is working on it?
What's interesting on the Metroid/Star Fox rumor is that bg said it wasn't an existing IP.

Has he spoken about this???

And yes, I count that as an exisitng IP even if it's two mashed together.
And didn't he say something about appealing to dudebros or something? Gameplay wise it could work...but I don't see Star Fox having mass appeal.

Yeah I can see all those "tech demos" showing up as either included games (like the 3DS has) or some mini game compilation. They looked too polished as at least mini games to not be put out in some form.

HylianTom

Banned
The funny event I'm waiting for?

What happens if this StarTroid game actually sells well? More specifically, how does GAF react on NPD night? Hahaha..!

Penguin

The funny event I'm waiting for?

What happens if this StarTroid game actually sells well? More specifically, how does GAF react on NPD night? Hahaha..!

I imagine.. it will be a gif of someone uncorking a champagne bottle that pings around the room before hitting someone in the eye..

Causing them to back up into a table that has the cake, which flips in the air and lands on someone's head

wsippel

Banned
What are the ArtX people at AMD up to? Hell is there any indication at all about what AMD team is working on it?
It's really fucking hard to find out who's working on this thing. I know that parts of are done by AMD Hyderabad, and I know that at least one dude who worked on the Wii is still there and working on Wii U, but that's pretty much it. Most of the ArtX people left ATI/ AMD years ago.

Oh, so Nintendo's chip design crew isn't quite dead yet? That's good to know (doesn't rule out that certain aspects might be licensed though). They designed some pretty cool concepts back in the early Gamecube days, but most of the engineers (almost all of them former Silicon Graphics staff) left the company around 2001 if I remember correctly. But then again, I know better than to underestimate Nintendo, and they're damn good at covering their tracks.

They must have got some new blood in. And you're right certain aspects might be licensed, but for the functions we've been talking about we can rule that out. I am definitely ready to learn about them and see them put in action.

Well, they've been working on it for years, and likely even before that, they had eyes out on everything.
Nintendo, while seemingly behind in certain areas, do like to stay up to date with technology. They really like to push their own agenda is the problem.
However, the Wii U is a unique case for them. They'll be designing a system more for other companies than themselves. I think we'll see a repeat of the GameCube in more ways than one (as far as tech goes, mind you), and I think it'll be a really "revolutionary" approach to a lot of problems we can't quite wrap our heads around.

I agree that direction has had both a positive and negative impact on Nintendo in the past. And hopefully their flexibility will go a long way with Wii U. I also agree that what they may have come up with may have found ways to address certain things that would have only been accomplished through brute force/raw power.

Has BG commented on this rumor yet? I know he said he had some inkling on what kind of game it was, if not the theme.

I was about to comment on it actually. But like Ace said I don't know what it is. But I do know what it isn't. Metroid x Star Fox wouldn't fit the bill.

I made a comment just now.

XD

HylianTom

Banned
Oh about IGN btw... Nintendo shoukd forget about E3 :(

IGN link here

Hmm. Very interesting. Looks like Nintendo should taunt the idea that they are going to have the "best" version of Assassin's Creed 3.

And the headliner about PS4 and 720 tells me that people don't believe those other console makers' claims that they aren't unveiling their new machines. I could see LOTS of disappointment and anger if we don't hear anything in this arena.

The problem is whether people can get the slow, solitary exploration thing out of their heads, and allow Metroid to have faster action packed gameplay.
Yeah, let's just get rid of every single thing that makes the game Metroid...why not just make it 100% Starfox then?

But the truth of the matter is the sci fi world that Retro creates. There's no fucking company right now that understands Metroid better than Retro Studios. And everyone was dead wrong when they said a first person perspective wouldn't work for Metroid.

In the words of Nibel "Let the masters work".
Keep in mind that Retro was totally against making the game first-person, and the game's producer even quit over Nintendo's decision to force them to go that route. Retro made an awesome game, but they aren't the ones who made that particular decision.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh about IGN btw... Nintendo shoukd forget about E3 :(

IGN and co cannot into logic. Sony have said they are not showing the PS4. Business don't joke about these things and Sony is in no position to be joking around.

And they better hope Microsoft isn't a repeat of the last two years if they want to "win" E3, but I guess just being Microsoft and showing someone climbing up a cliff face for 10 minutes is considered winning just because it is from CoD.

Konami will be a no show so no one wins. We all lose.

Sadist

And the headliner about PS4 and 720 tells me that people don't believe those other console makers' claims that they aren't unveiling their new machines. I could see LOTS of disappointment and anger if we don't hear anything in this arena.
Well just take quick look at the comment section of the article. It will look a lot like that.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I also notice that IGN hasn't yet reported the Aliens will look best on Wii U thing....

BY2K

Membero Americo
Like I said in the other thread, the guys expecting Sony to win E3 are in for disappointment, just saying.

(Not that I know anything about it.)

Like I said in the other thread, the guys expecting Sony to win E3 are in for disappointment, just saying.

(Not that I know anything about it.)

If they come out swinging with the Vita, they may have a slim chance.

It's those who think Microsoft will come out on top who are deluded, IMO.

IGN's demographic... I mean, I hate being all holier-than-thou-art, and they're as entitled to their tastes as we to ours, but MAN, do they have terrible, base taste.

Well, it makes sense.
They've driven away all Nintendo fans and most intelligent readers with their awful articles and troll podcasts.

I honestly don't even know anyone who goes to IGN. Seriously, they use to be so good in the late 90s and early 2000s. But now with so many sources of news, IGN is bottom of the barrell.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
They're talking about that PS Quadruple, the PS Quadruple. They ain't talking about that Wii U. Well, regardless of these next generation systems' attendance at E3, there will be much talk about next generation and what it holds in terms of graphics and processing power. Unreal Engine 4 will surely raise a lot of eyebrows (I expect what shown at E3 to be way more impressive than these recent screens). How Wii U will fit in is anyone's guess, and frankly speaking there has been so much going on lately with the specs of Wii U I can hardly constrain myself; if the hardware (not just the Wii U Remote) can be explained in one way or another come E3 I will be most satisfied.

These recent IGN surveys are kinda interesting to examine, but they mainly speak for just IGN. It would be nice to have corresponding surveys for Gamasutra, Gamesindustry.biz, GameTrailers, MCV etc. as well. I suppose someone could wip up a SurveyMonkey survey for GAF, but if I'm not mistaken voting and list threads aren't allowed.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Hm, I wouldn't mind fighting a bunch of space pirate baddies in Samus' gunship: "What Metroid Can Learn From Star Fox." That would be better than a complete crossover.

I didn't expect this to be the rumor, that's for sure. Um, it sounds like either:

A terrible idea that could have been saved by only using one series instead of both.

or

A terrible idea that could turn out surprisingly amazing.

Roo

And people thought Retro making a new DKCR or a Zelda games was a waste of talent.
If this shit about Metroid and Starfox becomes true
I can't wait to see you guys crying your hearts out wishing it was a DKCR or Zelda game

the sad part is... I'll be crawling in the dirt with you guys :(

TheNatural

My Member!
Serious question here: why are third parties so damn retarded with the game choices they make on what to bring to a new platform?

Perfect example is this talk of the Aliens game. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, it might be actually pretty good. But isn't from the same exact developer, coming Borderlands 2 in the fall? Probably as a game franchise, one that has a lot more notoriety?

I could say the same about companies like THQ and Ubi Soft. Instead of the new Future Soldier game or whatever, Ubi Soft is bringing over a version of a free to play PC game? THQ is bring Darksiders 2 over. It's best selling original game franchise is Saints Row, and they just had a new one come out last year and have an expansion to that game coming out this fall. Did it ever occur to them to, I don't know, maybe bring THAT GAME over in a GOTY edition for Wii U?

This is the same shit that happened with the Wii. Rockstar brought a Bully port over, and fucking Manhunt 2 and wondered why it didn't sell. You could have expended LESS effort to made an upgraded port or collection of the old GTA games for Wii and sold a TON more.

This is the sort of logic that seems to escape these companies, then they wonder why their bottom line is atrocious. Look at last year, Sonic fits Nintendo systems like a glove - but they made a new Sonic game and it didn't even come out on Wii because apparently in it's design stage it wouldn't fit the power of the Wii. So you're telling me your design was so closed that you intentionally cut off your best selling version of the game and didn't have that in mind when you made it?

The lunacy just boggles the mind. It's amazing to me how horrible the planning is for these companies that they just need to move their fingers to make a successful game on the console, and instead they chop off their arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom