• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of Stupid Idioms

Raining cats and dogs, clouds have silver lining, etc. what are common idioms you know but annoy you everyone you read or hear them?

Mine is "having your cake and eating it too." Even now I still don't know what this is supposed to mean. If I'm gonna have cake then I'm gonna fucking eat it. What's the point of having the cake but not eating it? Fuck this shit.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Don't feed them after midnight"

So, what, I can't feed them at 6am before I go to work? How about 9am? When's the cut-off point?!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
if you eat the cake you dont have it anymore. its not hard

Manu

Raining cats and dogs, clouds have silver lining, etc. what are common idioms you know but annoy you everyone you read or hear them?

Mine is "having your cake and eating it too." Even now I still don't know what this is supposed to mean. If I'm gonna have cake then I'm gonna fucking eat it. What's the point of having the cake but not eating it? Fuck this shit.

The point is that you can't simultaneously eat the whole cake and continue to own it.

Mine is "everything happens for a reason." Well, ain't that fucking helpful. Thanks.

Steel

Banned
You only live once.

It's liking how a cake looks, but also wanting to eat it. That's what it's supposed to mean.

Yeah still doesn't make sense. In order to eat the cake, you have to have it in your possession. You can't eat it without having it.

Figgles

The point is that you can't simultaneously eat the whole cake and continue to own it.

Mine is "everything happens for a reason." Well, ain't that fucking helpful. Thanks.

This is just spiritual mumbo jumbo. People think there is a higher purpose to the shit they have to put up with, so they lie to themselves.

Yeah still doesn't make sense. In order to eat the cake, you have to have it in your possession. You can't eat it without having it.
The saying makes absolute sense, but is easier to understand when you reverse it:

You can't eat your cake, and have it too

As explained already, it's expressing that once you eat it, it's gone and you don't continue to have it. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

zeemumu

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."

Unless you're a saiyan or it's a vaccine that usually doesn't apply.

But then why is it used in arguments? If you have something you're going to logically use it. Yet people keep using the term likes it's a bad thing. If I have food in my possession I'm gonna eat it, what's the purpose of the idiom?

But then why is it used in arguments? If you have something you're going to logically use it. Yet people keep using the term likes it's a bad thing. If I have food in my possession I'm gonna eat it, what's the purpose of the idiom?
You don't seem to be reading any of the replies that people are making to you.

ChrisD

This is some massive overthinking lol.
It's when you, say... Random, off the top of my head and probably makes no sense, but say you want to hold onto your money.. But you also want Item X. You can't have Item X, which would involve spending money, AND keep your money. You've got to make a choice, you can't have your cake (the money) and eat it (spend it), too.

It's often used (or at least, I've often seen it used) when people can't make up their mind, or say they want both. But you can't do that.

Wvrs

I've taught English as a foreign language, and phrasal verbs are some idiomatic bullshit.

"put up with" whhaaaaatt.

Mr.Ock

it's basically used to describe a either-or situation; the italian equivalent is "you can't have a cask full of wine and your wife drunk", which is also kind of sexist i guess?

Dime a dozen. I'm not even American and I know this.

It's actually called a Daim now mate

Daim-Wrapper-Small.jpg

Not sure if it's an idiom but "The point is moot" annoys me because the word moot means open to debate whereas people use it to mean 'not worth debating'.

For people who say: "Those are just the bad apples."

The full idiom is "one bad apple spoils the bunch." You're arguing for your opposition's point. You played yourself.

retroman

Here's a Dutch one:

"...en dat is het hele eieren eten"

The literal translation is "...and that is how the eggs are eaten", which basically has the same meaning as "...and that's the way the cookie crumbles".

As if the English version didn't already sound stupid enough.

televator

"Freedom isn't free." Says the bumper sticker on the lifted truck of some privileged ass red neck. Yeah, I know sometimes your arm must get tired from whipping the slave class into doing all the work you enjoy the fruits of.

it's basically used to describe a either-or situation; the italian equivalent is "you can't have a cask full of wine and your wife drunk", which is also kind of sexist i guess?

Sexist but it makes more sense. "Having your cake and eating it too" is a logical statement, so having it as an example of fallacy is stupid.

Not sure if it's an idiom but "The point is moot" annoys me because the word moot means open to debate whereas people use it to mean 'not worth debating'.
no....
From dictionary.com

of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic:
In practical terms, the issue of her application is moot because the deadline has passed.

Actually I think Moot means the debated topic is only theoretical and not practical. It's still wrong but at least that way you can see how it was bastardized

no....
From dictionary.com

of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic:
In practical terms, the issue of her application is moot because the deadline has passed.

Why did you skip the first definition?

Actually I think Moot means the debated topic is only theoretical and not practical. It's still wrong but at least that way you can see how it was bastardized

I understand why it's bastardized.

VegiHam

Sexist but it makes more sense. "Having your cake and eating it too" is a logical statement, so having it as an example of fallacy is stupid.

You're ignoring the too. It isn't:
Step one) have cake,
Step two) eat cake,
output) cake gone.

It's:
Step one) eat cake,
output) still got cake though fuck you magic cake.

You gotta chose either eating cake or having the cake for some other time.

Top Bottom