• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry...me too, common movie lines that annoy you

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
"There is nothing we can do."
"There's still something I must do."

"I knew you would return, brother."

"You and I, we are not that different."

"One day, perhaps, you will understand."

"I have lived too long to not know this day would come."

"The pride of men slaughtering each other in the name of their so-called God."

"We will atone for our sins in time."

"My kind are no more evil than yours."

"I have always known."

"Men were never meant to live this life."

"There shall come a day when all our burdens will end, brother. Maybe then, we shall know true peace."

These are all quotes from the ending of The Order: 1886.

Anarion07

Not necessarily a line, but rather a lack of a line.

People just don't say goodbye or bye on the phone, they just hang up. Like wtf.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
(Something strange, terrible, or incredible happens to Main character)

Side Character (who main character has no reason not to trust): "What happened?"

Maim Character: "... Nothing... Let's keep going like nothing happened"

(Cue terrible event that happens as a result of not communicating)

NEO0MJ

'We're alike, you and I' or conversely 'We're not so different'

Fuck you, I didn't watch 2 hours of this shit for you to pontificate bull with the antagonist.

I feel that the last few times I heard this it was thrown in as a joke. But maybe that's because I've been avoiding the sort of movie that would use such a line.

TS-08

I guess I don't understand OP's own example. It's a pretty basic exchange and one that I've experienced several times in real life.

"English, please?" in response to technobabble. I have this just searing irrational hatred for that cliché. It's fucking terrible.

Chozoman

Banned
"My bad"

"That's going to leave a mark"

"It's finally over/This is the end."
"No, it's only the beginning"

"What I needed was right in front of me all along"

this is a great thread, you guys have lots of good examples

that said I want that say that some of "no time to explain" or "it's complicated" stuff is not laziness, it's brevity/efficiency. Movies longer than 2 hours are lame now, and when big movies actually are longer than 2 hours these days it's just to fit more metal-crushing wubs in(see: Transformers). I think focus groups decided they don't like things explained or taking a break for char development, stuff has gotta MOVE. So that's what you get. Goofy char dev during action scenes like in Marvel movies, or "no time to explain."

aravuus

Anime characters that just say character's name in one line... Is it common in Japan?

Fucking this. Much more annoying than the other examples itt cause this is everywhere in manga and anime.

What about that nod and grunt that every female character in every piece of Japanese media does?

Followed by slowly closing and opening her eyes?

For some reason I have no idea what this one is about, though. Can't remember any grunting and nodding women.

zeemumu

The average human only uses about 10% of their brain

Everything you know is about to change

You're dealing with powers beyond your control

hobozero

The only thing that drives me nuts is when characters discuss their plan during the operation itself, because the director wanted to save time and not show the planning meeting. I can understand not showing planning, it removes suspense, etc., but NO ONE goes over the entire details of their plan WHILE DOING IT.

emb

Anime characters that just say character's name in one line... Is it common in Japan?
Was going to say this too. Seems like I do hear it in American films now and then, but definitely more often in Japanese games and in anime. It's out of control.

Duffk1ng

Every horror movie.

Hello, is there anyone there?

But... say you weren't in a horror movie, isn't that at least a moderately logical thing to say? Like you're in a supposedly empty place at night and hear a floorboard creak or something. Either someone replies and hey everything's good, or they don't and you take a look?

Or is this after the character has watched all their friends get brutally murdered and already knows there are Bad Things On the Loose?

A storm's coming.

hqdefault.jpg

I know.

Ogodei

It's a language thing. Just saying the other person's name carries more emotional weight in Japan than it does in western languages. Why that is i'm not exactly sure (possibly related to why Japanese so often make a direct reference to the subject of a sentence).

L Thammy

I can't stand when people in movies say "the", "a", or "an". They're ridiculously overused, sometimes every other line has them.

Apoc29

Every Ninja Turtles/Transformers whatever the fuck when danger approaches and only one character in a team notices...

"Um...guys?"

Shredderi

Elaborating on the "we're the same you and I" thing. I actually have more distaste for "I'm NOTHING like YOU" rebuttal from the protagonist. In some cases the characters truly are like each other, different sides of the same coin and I get that the protag will have a distaste and hate for the villain but I would welcome the ability to accept the fact that they sometimes are a lot like their villain. It doesn't mean they're as bad as the villain or anything, that's not usually the point.

Dice//

Banned
YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH THIS

....Oh, but I already have
(90% of the time, they actually haven't)

You have to tell someone something important over the phone like a hidden explosive, but you preface it with a long ass rambling like "listen, you need to listen!" and the other as no patience and hangs up.

Top Bottom