• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry...me too, common movie lines that annoy you

TheDanger

Banned
God I can't stand this it's so overused and predictable in every show/movie, post other common lines that annoy you.

Keym

COME WITH ME, THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN

Cue a 2 hour off-screen drive where nothing happens until they reach their destination

I don't recall the last time I saw a movie with the example you've givenx but it sounds like two characters reconciling. It's better than two characters staring at each other then nodding.

Verelios

'We're alike, you and I' or conversely 'We're not so different'

Fuck you, I didn't watch 2 hours of this shit for you to pontificate bull with the antagonist.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
– How do I know I can trust you?
– You can't.

And they go "oh, that's bad-ass I guess" and follow them to the end of the world.

Sheroking

"You have to trust me" followed by formerly sceptical people doing crazy shit.

Conversely, characters who SEE crazy unexplainable stuff for themselves and then espouse some unreasonably skeptical viewpoints during high tension moments.

"You're crazy/that's crazy". Otherwise known as half the conversations between Jack and Locke on LOST.

Piers

Anime characters that just say character's name in one line... Is it common in Japan?

Ah, Kursosaki kun!
Oh, Orihime!

Both: Chad!
Chad: Oh, Kurosaki, Orhime!

The classic "Are you okay?" after a dangerous situation is always boring though. In real life, that's fine. But it fills like filler in media.

Two superheroes yap at each other about some domestic bullshit whilst fighting badguys
'Oh like the time you and X went loco in Y?'
'Don't remind me'
They tag team a robot or alien or whatever the fuck
'You owe me for that!'
'Yeah, and what about that time in Z?!'
'I had that under control!'
Big bad appears, genero death face magoo
'Someone got out the wrong side of bed this morning!'
Sparrows headbutts wall

pbayne

More a movie trailer line but if i hear "in a world" or "the world is changing" i just immediately lose interest.

Anime characters that just say character's name in one line... Is it common in Japan?

lol yep, it would be so odd to hear someone talk like that.

Two superheroes yap at each other about some domestic bullshit whilst fighting badguys
'Oh like the time you and X went loco in Y?'
'Don't remind me'
They tag team a robot or alien or whatever the fuck
'You owe me for that!'
'Yeah, and what about that time in Z?!'
'I had that under control!'
Big bad appears, genero death face magoo
'Someone got out the wrong side of bed this morning!'
Sparrows headbutts wall

oh god, that is rough

Wensih

Or just repeat the last few words of whatever the person just said, Dougie style.

It's just lazy filler when they have to put a quick line in a character's mouth.

Dougie Style? You could write a term paper on the use of repetition in Lynch's dialogue. Dougie exemplifies it best, but almost every exchange has a repetitive back and forth where information is repeated twice.

Not so much a common line, but more like a hand to hand combat trope that's always bugged me in TV and movies.

Good Guy vs Bad Guy, the fight almost always goes like:

1. Fight starts evenly between GG and BG
  2. GG appears to be getting the upper hand
  3. BG gets in a solid but non-lethal blow to GG and we're meant to think this could suddenly go badly (cut to the arm, a few good punches in, etc). This is usually accompanied with some sort of monologuing on the part of BG.
  4. GG musters willpower (with a speech?), beats up BG and saves the day
TV shows fall back on this so often it's like a standard cut and paste into any script, and almost any time I watch something I'm completely disengaged by the fight scenes. I recently started watching Black Sails and this is pretty much every single sword fight or duel involving main characters. There are some exceptions to the rule; Daredevil comes to mind, where the main character really DOES get fucked up in fights.

In big blockbuster movies this can pretty much be applied to the entire latter third of a movie.

Mediking

Not so much a common line, but more like a hand to hand combat trope that's always bugged me in TV and movies.

Good Guy vs Bad Guy, the fight almost always goes like:

1. Fight starts evenly between GG and BG
  2. GG appears to be getting the upper hand
  3. BG gets in a solid but non-lethal blow to GG and we're meant to think this could suddenly go badly (cut to the arm, a few good punches in, etc). This is usually accompanied with some sort of monologuing on the part of BG.
  4. GG musters willpower (with a speech?), beats up BG and saves the day
TV shows fall back on this so often it's like a standard cut and paste into any script, and almost any time I watch something I'm completely disengaged by the fight scenes. I recently started watching Black Sails and this is pretty much every single sword fight or duel involving main characters. There are some exceptions to the rule; Daredevil comes to mind, where the main character really DOES get fucked up in fights.

In big blockbuster movies this can pretty much be applied to the entire latter third of a movie.

This is actually another one that is really cool and not annoying, in my opinion...

120v

Part where two characters confront each other, have some fundamental disagreement, one turns their back, walks away... cue 10 second silence... and then "but wait!"

seriously this is in every fucking script now

jmood88

'We're alike, you and I' or conversely 'We're not so different'

Fuck you, I didn't watch 2 hours of this shit for you to pontificate bull with the antagonist.
I hate this so much and I don't understand why writers can't come up with a different way to say that line, or just not have characters explicitly say that they're similar.

"Let's split up."

Because the director/writer at that point is screaming at you something bad it going to happen at that point.

Top Bottom