• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales|SPOILER THREAD| Salazar’s Revenge

All my friends who have seen it so far have liked it. I literally can't wait to go see it again.. This time with some rum. When I saw On Stranger Tides I had to almost be blacked out on rum to enjoy it. Such a better experience this time.
Just for the sake of it I accept 4 but the mermaids were the only thing I actually liked about it.

Here I wasn't a huge fan of the heist but enjoyed every other element.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just came back, liked what I saw. So essentially ties up the cast and somewhat brings back the ending of PotC1. Though they never did clarify much on the witch huh?

Also did they essentially just say all of the magic of the sea, from the first movie to the last, was due to the trident? Then what was the end-credits scene for?

Then what was the end-credits scene for?
Davy Jones really whouldn't be on land in Will's house if the regular curse was back

Oh fuck I walked out before this. Was it good?
Cliche scene but the tease works damn well, but can be ignored if a sequel never happens.

Knew a scene was coming so literally the entire credits im mentally saying
"Come on Davy Jones..."
"Davy Jones..."
"Davy Jones..."
"Davy Jones..."
it happened and I was hyped.

Slaythe

I didn't know there was a scene so I left before seeing it.

I also don't want the next film to be a one destination/ one quest only deal.

This works best when they have multiple characters that can shine in multiple set pieces and potentially several goals.

It could work great to have teams in the next film like :

Will and Elisabeth

Jack + Penelope Cruz

Henry and Carina

Probably someone coming back.

Easy way to let everyone shine and have variety. :D

Also I'm pretty sure Calypso said she gave Jack the compass and he gave said compass away a bunch in At World's End and why would Salazar's curse be bound to the compass in the first place.

Slaythe

Also I'm pretty sure, Calypso said she gave Jack the compass and he gave said compass away a bunch in At World's End and why would Salazar's curse be bound to the compass in the first place.

That's literally the worst thing in the movie.

They didn't even try to make sense of it you're supposed to take it at face value lmao.

No the worst thing is that you require 2 chronometers for what Carina was setting out to do. One with an accurate time of a fixed location (in this cas GMT in London) the other set to the time of sunrise at your current location. Otherwise you could only ever check your longitude in the morning.

ZeoVGM

Banned
there is almost 0 impressive shot / scene / action sequence / set piece in the entire movie. There's like 1 if i'm generous.

The reason the movie is disappointing is because it's creatively bankrupt.

This is crazy to me. I spent a good portion of the third act thinking about how inventive and cool the end set pieces were. The bank heist at the beginning was another great set piece. I dunno how those aren't at least a little impressive.

I feel like wrong guidance from Disney (this suffers from a lot of issues you can see in TFA, like trying to be a reboot/remake/sequel all at once and playing the same old beat, except it fails harder)

That's a strange comparison as TFA doesn't fail at all with that. It was a massive success with a few minor flaws like even the greatest movies have.

And they need to move away from Depp, even if they have him as last minute savior, this is fine, or have him as underdog with less screentime, anything but the constant focus on him. It's hurting the movies, it's hurting him (because we are all fed up at this time), etc...

It's always funny when people say this. Because it clearly isn't hurting the movies considering the most Jack-heavy movie in the entire series is the 2nd most successful (OST).

Depp is the franchise. The series would fail without him. And it's been that way since the very first movie. No Jack Sparrow, no Pirates of the Caribbean. That's who the kids are going to the theater to see.

Ok so, here's my fan review.

I love the first movie, I love the second movie which I thought was one of the best adventure movie we've gotten in recent years, third one was a letdown but had some impressive setpieces, 4th one was a disaster.

5th one is...

A waste. A gigantic waste.

First of all, let me start by saying that the photography is pathetic, and that there is almost 0 impressive shot / scene / action sequence / set piece in the entire movie. There's like 1 if i'm generous.

That being said, it doesn't make a movie "bad" even though you'd expect Pirates to have this to make up for other potential shortcomings.

So we're left with the story, main plot, and the characters.

The main plot is absolutely awful, and full of convenience. Like "oh, so all the relevant characters end up at the same place at the exact same time, and this item somehow has magical powers that are never explained and interact with somebody that's super far just for the sake of moving the plot forward".

It's insanely cringe worthy how little effort is put into making this story logical and organic.

The other problem is that the heroes only have one goal. So instead of going on an adventure to pick up pieces or passing trials to reach their ultimate goal (like any good adventure movie), you.... end up watching them on the sea doing basically nothing for the whole movie. The only time they land on an island is for a 5 minutes joke sequence, which wasn't bad but what a letdown.

Ok so... the characters then ?

They look really good. Everybody looks great in the movie, they're all pretty, they have all aged well, the newcomers are beautiful.

Yeah that's all I have. They are extremely bland versions of Will and Elisabeth, the actors are okay, honestly nobody could have done better with this script.

Jack Sparrow : They do exactly what not to do. Instead of trying to show a different aspect of Jack and allowing the audience to breath a little from Depp (both character and actor) so that maybe we end up missing him, he is thrown in your face permanently with unfunny scenes. Not to Depp's fault, once again, the script. He does have a few cool and funny scenes overall, quantity over quality.

Everybody searches for him, AGAIN, he is responsible for everything in the world, he has people hating him wherever he goes, the problem is that the convenience issues I mentioned above makes the Jack situation insufferable.

Barbossa was alright. One big reveal hurt by convenience once again. (one chance in a million... except those happen 47 times in the same hour so you can only suspend your disbelief for so long)

Ok so now, THAT BEING SAID.

I sound really negative and really it's because I'm disappointed.

I still love the Pirates world. I still love the concept of the characters. At times, the movie really works and makes you wonder why they didn't write competently the whole time.

The reason the movie is disappointing is because it's creatively bankrupt. But that's the writers' fault. Let me write the movie and I guarantee it wouldn't have any of those problems. And I can't be the only writer that could do something great with the Pirates settings.

I feel like wrong guidance from Disney (this suffers from a lot of issues you can see in TFA, like trying to be a reboot/remake/sequel all at once and playing the same old beat, except it fails harder) and bad writers led to this.

ALL IN ALL, the movie leaves you in a place where... I feel like I wouldn't be against another movie, but it has to be good.

And they need to move away from Depp, even if they have him as last minute savior, this is fine, or have him as underdog with less screentime, anything but the constant focus on him. It's hurting the movies, it's hurting him (because we are all fed up at this time), etc...

SO, it's not an offensively bad movie, just except really bad "convenient" writing, if you can tolerate that, then it's pretty okay. A shame it doesn't have eye candy or mind blowing scenes like the previous Pirates.

I don't want this to die, because even if this one is disappointing, there really isn't anything quite like it out there.

They just need creative writers. :(
I was going to write impressions, but you nailed it 100%.

Slaythe

This is crazy to me. I spent a good portion of the third act thinking about how inventive and cool the end set pieces were. The bank heist at the beginning was another great set piece. I dunno how those aren't at least a little impressive.

Well I disagree.

The bank thing looked pretty bland and looked extremely fake.

As for the third arc, the colors and bad photography made reading the action at night really confusing, and the editing was all over the place.

I guess that was an okay sequence, but I wasn't impressed by it.

I certainly wasn't at the finale either. It could have been but what they made of it was pretty generic so it didn't feel special to me.

I mean, sorry if I didn't feel impressed, I don't exactly control that.

Overall it felt like worse versions of what we had seen in previous Pirates movies.

That's a strange comparison as TFA doesn't fail at all with that. It was a massive success with a few minor flaws like even the greatest movies have.

TFA was a success thanks to its novelties (and insane marketing campaign). Certainly not thanks to its rehash of episode IV.
Anyway once the honeymoon passed, many people (me included) have had a slightly less glowing view of that movie, not that it was bad. I didn't say TFA failed as a movie. I said it failed at trying to play the same old beat because it didn't have the charm or impact of the original when it tried to emulate it, it shined elsewhere.

At least it did for me.

It's always funny when people say this. Because it clearly isn't hurting the movies considering the most Jack-heavy movie in the entire series is the 2nd most successful (OST).

Depp is the franchise. The series would fail without him. And it's been that way since the very first movie. No Jack Sparrow, no Pirates of the Caribbean. That's who the kids are going to the theater to see.

That doesn't mean he has to be the reason everything in the world happens. Plus, lassitude exists. Especially when they write him the exact same way, with the same old jokes, and bringing nothing new to the table.

If I felt it, chances are I won't be the only one. They are milking their cash cow and at some point it will stop giving milk, that's why I suggested that they toned him down so that people crave for him again.

I even said it was fine if he remained the hero, which it is. But there needs to be a better balance. Especially with the old cast reunited.

he gave said compass away a bunch in At World's End and why would Salazar's curse be bound to the compass in the first place.
They said if you betray the compass it unleashes your worst fear,
. Salazar has compass can find his way out of Devil's Triangle
. Jack betrays the compass by trading it for a drink, Salazar is released.

I don't recall AWE vividly but when he gave it away was it actually for a bad reason or just a hand off?

RocknRola

Soo....this was a movie.... felt like kind of a bigger downgrade than Pirates 4 :S

Ah well. I still enjoy the world and music, and it was kinda fun seeing some old faces return (and some old plot points being 100% solved for once). Though, given the ending and what happened just before it, I have no idea how they'll continue the story (should more movies be made).

Temp_User

Watching this film makes me realize . . . . this must be what non-comic book movie fans feel when they say CMB fatigue. I wouldnt know since im a comic book fan and i wear my CMB blinders high and proud.

I got my money's worth in the theaters, mind you but its like eating in a 5-star restaurant only to order cheeseburgers and fries. Its delicious but eh . . . .

Salazar's Revenge treads too many familiar ground. Some parts I enjoy like seeing Will and Elizabeth Swan but some parts like the plot point of Jack again getting powerful artifacts and again, a powerful captain from his past wants his head gets tedious and eye-rollingly convenient at this point.

Jack's broken compass thing releasing Salazar of all things was way too convenient for me.

I wish Carina was not Barbossa's kid. She seems too young. Still, I wouldnt mind her being Barbossa's grandchildren and she has a message or something to give to his deadbeat grandfather from her parents. I think her motivations for getting involved with the pirates was weak and filled with lucky circumstances.

Javier Bardem was pretty great as an evil, supernatural pirate hunter Salazar. The actors who portrayed Henry and Carina were fine for their roles too especially the girl. They just dont have much to work on. I get that Jack Sparrow doesn't get much characterization as he is more of an archetype rather than an actual character in this movies but i was waiting for him to say something meaningful like "human are not cargo, mate" from the At World's End. I hope its not cut. His sense of jealousy though seeing Will and Elizabeth together was great.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was expecting a battle between the Dutchman's crew against Salazar's, pretty disappointed they didn't give us that.

Who would win I wonder.

Soo....this was a movie.... felt like kind of a bigger downgrade than Pirates 4 :S

Ah well. I still enjoy the world and music, and it was kinda fun seeing some old faces return (and some old plot points being 100% solved for once). Though, given the ending and what happened just before it, I have no idea how they'll continue the story (should more movies be made).

Did you see the credit scene?

I was expecting a battle between the Dutchman's crew against Salazar's, pretty disappointed they didn't give us that.

Who would win I wonder.

Yeah I thought Will's son getting messed up would lead to the Dutchman showing up for a fight.

Fliesen

Enough time has passed since Pirates 4 and they're obviously throwing out all the non-Jack characters.
So, is this movie less convoluted than previous iterations?

I watched part 1 on TV just two days ago, and that's such a good, straightforward ghost-pirate flick.

MIght as well give this one a chance.

They said if you betray the compass it unleashes your worst fear,
. Salazar has compass can find his way out of Devil's Triangle
. Jack betrays the compass by trading it for a drink, Salazar is released.

I don't recall AWE vividly but when he gave it away was it actually for a bad reason or just a hand off?
He gave it to Will and I think tossed it to Beckett on at least one occasion. If the compass can read intent, then Jack obviously had plans to get it back the way he looked at it. He had picked up a gold coin at that point, the bartender asked for silver which might have tripped Jack up.

Salazar knew of the compass and the conditions somehow despite only seeing Jack twirl it around once.
Enough time has passed since Pirates 4 and they're obviously throwing out all the non-Jack characters.
So, is this movie less convoluted than previous iterations?

I watched part 1 on TV just two days ago, and that's such a good, straightforward ghost-pirate flick.

MIght as well give this one a chance.
Not at all there's about a dozen circumstances that have to play together perfectly for everything to go down as it did. Not including stuff that never got explained at all.

RocknRola

Did you see the credit scene?

Yeah I thought Will's son getting messed up would lead to the Dutchman showing up for a fight.

Credit or post-credit? I stayed for a while expecting something, but after some 6-7 minutes the people I was with started leaving so I went as well.

I recall him (Jack)
saying he had a meeting beyond the horizon, whatever that was supposed to mean,[/B
] but that was it.

RocknRola

Oh yeah I was so disappointed Will didn't show up to save his son.

Like... come on.

That was also kinda weird. Wasn't Davy Jones back in the 2nd and 3rd movies kinda crazy powerful? Surely, even if he couldn't really "save the day" he could have helped!

Slaythe

Awww, damnit! I missed that :(

Davy Jones enters Will's house, Will wakes up but nobody is there... on the floor you see a puddle and barnacles.

We don't know yet what it means.

We gotta stop making excuses for TFA's success.

It was a great movie. It's as simple as that.

I didn't say it was a bad movie.

There are also a lot of great movies that flop at the box office so I don't get what you're implying.

Disney's recent management and their marketing is the reason the movies keep performing the way they do.

And that includes Pirates 4. (A non great movie)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Oh yeah I was so disappointed Will didn't show up to save his son.

Like... come on.

That was also kinda weird. Wasn't Davy Jones back in the 2nd and 3rd movies kinda crazy powerful? Surely, even if he couldn't really "save the day" he could have helped!

Probably because the Dutchman would mess up the Silent Mary's pretty badly. Tho I don't know, hmmm, the Mary got that teeth thingy and living giant statues, lol.

RocknRola

Davy Jones enters Will's house, Will wakes up but nobody is there... on the floor you see a puddle and barnacles.

We don't know yet what it means.

I didn't say it was a bad movie.

There are also a lot of great movies that flop at the box office so I don't get what you're implying.

Disney's recent management and their marketing is the reason the movies keep performing the way they do.

And that includes Pirates 4. (A non great movie)

Much oblidged! :) Wonder what that means.
Probably that Neptune is actually a chump and fails miserably at breaking anything for long :v

Probably because the Dutchman would mess up the Silent Mary's pretty badly. Tho I don't know, hmmm, the Mary got that teeth thingy and living giant statues, lol.

That would have been a cool fight to witness! The Dutchman basically cleaned house in movies 2 and 3, much like the Silent Mary did in this one.

RocknRola

Well see I'm excited at the idea of Will Elisabeth full force in another movie.

This movie has to not flop but I don't see it earning crazy numbers. China maybe ?

The theater I saw this on yesterday, on it's public premiere here in short, had me, my friends (+3) and some 2 guys on the whole room. By comparison, I only saw AWE in it's 3rd week, at the same place, and it still had a half full room.

Soo...yeah... I guess the hype, after the 4th one, just isn't quite the same.

This movie sucked.

It sucked because of so much wasted potential and because it was just generally bad. The only person who felt like they were giving it their all was the villain, but even he struggled with the awfully clunky dialog.

The not Will and Elizabeth are so bland and cliched that every time they talked I groaned. None of the jokes landed home runs, the action sequences felt dull. There were plot points that didn't really go anywhere.

The editing was atrocious. I laughed during some of the fight scenes just because of how awful it was. Comparisons to Taken 3's jumping over a fence scene are definatley there.

This all sucks because like King Arthur, there are hints that this could have been really good. However it feels like disney just weren't after that with this film. Instead they wanted a film they could make money off of and they have it. However this will be the breaking point. Even my partner, who finds things to enjoy about even this film, said she wouldn't watch another, unless she heard some very good things about it.

I mean for crying out loud, aside from one naval battle at the beginning, I don't think think cannons are even used except once, in the entire film. It honestly feels that Disney didn't want the film to be too violent, so forced cuts to show nothing to the point it became laughable.

Just because this is a movie for kids, does not mean it has to be stupid. I saw kids falling asleep during the film!

I can't stand movies like this, because its obvious that whatever creativity that was in the script or idea for the film, was killed so that they wouldn't have to take a risk and just make money.

So far This and Life and my biggest disappointments of the year.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The theater I saw this on yesterday, on it's public premiere here in short, had me, my friends (+3) and some 2 guys on the whole room. By comparison, I only saw AWE in it's 3rd week, at the same place, and it still had a half full room.

Soo...yeah... I guess the hype, after the 4th one, just isn't quite the same.

Eh, I don't think Pirates movies have ever been the type to get huge Marvel-like crowds on Thursday nights. My theater for On Stranger Tides was only like half full too, the same as tonight.

It'll depend on the international audience, just as it did for OST.

Boss Doggie

How did the witch get the compass anyway? That was super contrived, "I have my ways" lol

Also Salazar wasn't bound by the compass per se, but more on the compass's promise to Jack

with that said, I wonder why the original owner wasn't lucky

Boss Doggie

Also, why was it called Salazar's Revenge in other countries (like mine)? It's not like Dead Man Tell No Tales isn't an unknown saying, and it fits the movie more. And trailers used that name here too.

How did the witch get the compass anyway? That was super contrived, "I have my ways" lol

Also Salazar wasn't bound by the compass per se, but more on the compass's promise to Jack

with that said, I wonder why the original owner wasn't lucky

Then how did Salazar know of the compass, jack's promise and the terms of his release being tied to both? The movie is just full of plotholes, including this scene where Tia Dalma says to Jack "the compass you bartered from me, it cannot lead you to this?".

Also I'm pretty sure Calypso said she gave Jack the compass and he gave said compass away a bunch in At World's End and why would Salazar's curse be bound to the compass in the first place.
This was so insane. Like, I rolled them my eyes so they almost fell out of my head when the compass freed Salazar from the Devil's Triangle. And it happened again when Salazar just knew that the compass would do that if it was "betrayed"

The whole first half of the movie practically revolves around the compass. It's like the creative team here thought the thing was this intriguing mystery that everyone wanted to unravel.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Then how did Salazar know of the compass, jack's promise and the terms of his release being tied to both? The movie is just full of plotholes, including this scene where Tia Dalma says to Jack "the compass you bartered from me, it cannot lead you to this?".

Salazar knowing of the compass is certainly a plot hole. (Was Jack waving it around when he was taunting Salazar in the flashback?)

As for the Tia Dalma thing, you can just assume that Jack lost the compass at some point before getting it back from Tia Dalma. It comes off as a bit of a retcon but after looking at the PotC Wiki, it turns out there was a series of young Jack Sparrow novels that show him having the compass as a teenager. And they actually came out after Dead Man's Chest, which means after that scene.

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Sparrow's_compass

This was so insane. Like, I rolled them my eyes so they almost fell out of my head when the compass freed Salazar from the Devil's Triangle. And it happened again when Salazar just knew that the compass would do that if it was "betrayed"

The whole first half of the movie practically revolves around the compass. It's like the creative team here thought the thing was this intriguing mystery that everyone wanted to unravel.

To be honest at first this didn't bother me. I thought they were going to focus on Jacks alcoholism and the betrayal of the compass, was because he choose booze over it. The rest of the film was going to force Jack to recognise his destructive tendecies and force him to redeem himself while overcoming them.

Then the next scene had him with his pants off as the joke.

ZeoVGM

Banned
To be honest at first this didn't bother me. I thought they were going to focus on Jacks alcoholism and the betrayal of the compass, was because he choose booze over it. The rest of the film was going to force Jack to recognise his destructive tendecies and force him to redeem himself while overcoming them.

Please tell me you didn't actually think that.

The way Jack is written in this movie also totally undermines Salazar. So the compass unleashes what the owner fears the most if betrayed. Sure. Fine. Whatever. But then drunk Jack basically no sells Salazar.

Another random note: is the ship Barbossa has in the beginning supposed to be the Queen Anne's Revenge? If so, I feel like he could have put up a good fight based on how the sword could control every facet of the ship. If it isn't... why the hell would he command a different ship? lol

Also, why was it called Salazar's Revenge in other countries (like mine)? It's not like Dead Man Tell No Tales isn't an unknown saying, and it fits the movie more. And trailers used that name here too.
I believe trademark/translation issues. Zootopia had similar issues where it needed a different title for some international territories.

One other thing: Why was Will getting all barnacle-y anyway? I thought they explained that Davy Jones became that way because he abandoned his duty guiding people who died on the sea to the afterlife.
Will probably did his duty, so why does he have a "curse"? And now that it is broken...who guides all those souls then?

The movies keep contradicting themselves on the logic of all these things. =/

Top Bottom