• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Skull And Bones Is Less The Pirate Life And More The Division (Beta Review)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hero-fallback-desktop.jpg

Kotaku has Published a Beta Review for Skull & Bones ,and it doesn't look good

Skull and Bones’ open beta hasn’t sold me on this game being worth the long wait​

An image shows people firing canons on a pirate ship.

Screenshot: Ubisoft / Kotaku

After all the delays, trailers, and start-and-stop hype cycles, Ubisoft’s highly(?) anticipated pirate sim Skull and Bones is in beta. The game was meant to release in 2018, then 2019, but at least now there’s an open beta and your progress will carry over into Skull and Bones when it launches on February 16. So, while this isn’t technically the actual retail game, it’s a good way to see just what all those years of development have made. I want to tell you that this epic saga ends happily. Alas…

Skull and Bones was announced back in 2017 with a 2018 release date. The story of this game, its many delays, and its troubled development has been well documented on Kotaku and elsewhere, so I’m not going to rehash it too much. But basically, this game started as a DLC/spin-off of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (aka the pirate one). Then it morphed into a standalone game that took nearly a decade to complete. Now, in February 2024, I can confidently tell you what Skull and Bones actually is: The Division with pirate ships.

A screenshot shows a boat sailing across the ocean near an island.

Okay, that’s a bit reductive, but truthfully, if you’ve played open-world MMO-looter-shooter The Division or its DC-based sequel, you’ll be familiar with Skull and Bones and its core gameplay loop. You make a character, start off in a small, enclosed area, learn the basics, walk around a public hub populated by other players, do some quests, leave that starting area, and enter the main world—which uses the same basic formula, but on a bigger scale with more systems.

Just like The Division, this public hub is a safe zone where you can’t hurt anyone, which is weird in a game about pirates who we are told are dangerous, but who act a lot more like teenagers in high school—insulting and laughing at you when you initially arrive at the game’s first major port. At one point an NPC threatened to gut me like a fish, but buddy, you can’t even jump in these on-foot areas. I’m not worried about a stabbing.

Sailing the seas and chopping some wood in Skull and Bones

The on-foot stuff isn’t why anybody is here. Outside these safe zones there are NPC ships you can attack and board using combat that feels ripped out of Black Flag—which is fine as the ship fighting in that game was excellent. This is what folks wanted! A whole game based on the pirate ship action in that popular Assassin’s Creed sequel. That’s the whole reason this game even exists, to fulfill that demand. You are all here to become pirates! To sail the seas and conquer enemy vessels, plundering loot and riches as you crash through the ocean waves. Well, sorry, you need to go cut down some trees first.

A screenshot shows a boat near some trees as it cuts them down.

Yeah, Skull and Bones is mainly a game—at least in the first few hours—about collecting resources, cutting down trees, and crafting stuff. And you don’t cut down trees or collect coconuts by walking up to them and punching; instead, you pull your ship up to the shore and a weird mini-game starts. You then have to nail the timing on a moving cursor as it crosses colored zones on a meter. It doesn’t feel good. It doesn’t really make sense. And it definitely doesn’t deliver on the promise of living the life of a pirate. At one point, I cut down one too many acacia trees and my crew yelled at me that the ship was over-encumbered. I don’t remember that in any of my favorite pirate films…

Once I got through some of the fetch quests and built up a small but tough vessel with cannons—I named her The Pimple—I set out to board some ships to complete a contract. Exciting! This is the pirate action I wanted. I found a medium-sized vessel, shot it with some cannon balls, and saw a prompt telling me to board the ship. I hit the button and my crew chucked hooks at the enemy ship. They connected! A cutscene played and I pulled the ship into my ship and then…I got some coconuts, a few chunks of iron, some silver, and a couple of mechanical cogs.

OuterLimits

I will probably give it a try since I love pirate games, but my hype factor is low.

Honestly, I just wish we could get another Sid Meier's Pirates remake.( original 80s, and remake PC/Xbox/Wii versions were excellent).

I play some of the Port Royale games by Kalypso but obviously not the same.

Meicyn

Gold Member
As someone who actively plays The Division 2, the comparison is incredibly dumb. The author admits it’s reductive, but they really undersell just how reductive it is. A player hub where you do resource or equipment management before you go off on quests is looter game 101. You do the same in Diablo, Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, the list goes on.

The Division is a third person cover shooter akin to Gears of War. Bringing it up in a Skull and Bones review is just weird. You may as well compare it to Diablo 4, it makes just as much sense.

Kerotan

It's a good online pirate game but it's mechanically less basic then black flag was in most regards. If anything it's made me thirst for a black flag remake.

As someone who actively plays The Division 2, the comparison is incredibly dumb. The author admits it’s reductive, but they really undersell just how reductive it is. A player hub where you do resource or equipment management before you go off on quests is looter game 101. You do the same in Diablo, Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, the list goes on.

The Division is a third person cover shooter akin to Gears of War. Bringing it up in a Skull and Bones review is just weird. You may as well compare it to Diablo 4, it makes just as much sense.
The thread title had me imagining three pirate ships huddled together behind a concrete bunker, waiting for their skills to cool down.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just a reminder that this game was announced nearly a year before Sea of Thieves came out, and at the time there was a lot of discussion as to which game would be more successful.

Pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Ozriel

M$FT
Just a reminder that this game was announced nearly a year before Sea of Thieves came out, and at the time there was a lot of discussion as to which game would be more successful.

Pretty hilarious in hindsight.

That’s a polite way of saying that the entire thread was overrun with fanboys crowing that it would kill Sea of Thieves.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Yea, that's kind of the problem. Especially with Ubi games. They all start feeling the same, even if their gameplay is different. The overall structure is identical and fatigue sets in way quicker. I remember playing Division 2 and Far Cry 5 back to back and felt this. Yea one was FPS and one was TPS and one was online and one was SP but the games were structured and played very similar.

It also makes me wonder why they needed ten years to make this game, if its overall structure ("gameplay loop") is identical to what Ubisoft has done like 10 times.

Bond007

I actually put the time into the beta and maxed out what i could over the weekend.
Fun game, i guess i can sorta see the Division correlation.

I put aside the negativity to play it for myself. Will buy it- just not right away, just because of UbiSoft sales track record. Def a month tops- i look forward to getting back and building up the fleet.

Last edited:

Allandor

How do you make a pirate game where you can't even board the other ships yourself to get into hand-to-hand combat to steal the other ships loot.

That is literally one of the main points of being a pirate...
Ever played the original pirates?
Had to boot the OC of my sister with the floppy at this time around. You could hire men and buy ... well was it food? (I don't remember that much I guess).
But yes, that doesn't seem to be the game if their trailers.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How do you make a pirate game where you can't even board the other ships yourself to get into hand-to-hand combat to steal the other ships loot.

How do you know they didn't prototype that and found out it just couldn't work in a MP setting? You're rendering two arenas for multiple players at one time (the ship to ship and then on board combat); I know nothing about game development, but I can't imagine that would be an easy thing to do (or something they themselves didn't think of).

. . .at the end of the day, the game is a hero-shooter (no idea where people are getting "looter" from) with the ships as classes. At it's most fundamental level, sure it shares the same DNA as other class based multiplayer offerings, but it at least does so in a new-ish setting.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I'll wait for reviews to see where it goes, but the two days I played during the open beta had me coming back to it. Maybe it's the calming sea.. Definitely see myself investing time on and off playing it. That price is steep though.

Z O N E

How do you know they didn't prototype that and found out it just couldn't work in a MP setting? You're rendering two arenas for multiple players at one time (the ship to ship and then on board combat); I know nothing about game development, but I can't imagine that would be an easy thing to do (or something they themselves didn't think of).

. . .at the end of the day, the game is a hero-shooter (no idea where people are getting "looter" from) with the ships as classes. At it's most fundamental level, sure it shares the same DNA as other class based multiplayer offerings, but it at least does so in a new-ish setting.

There's a game that literally lets you do that... it's called Sea of Thieves.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tip to UBI.

Dont make force UBI Singapore take lead making a game just because the Singapore government is giving subsidies. Dont chase money and assume the employee pool will sort itself out after the bag of cash is received. Employee pool first to make a product, executing the business plan and funding later. If you dont have the people to begin with it'll be an uphill battle right from the get go no matter how much money is thrown around.

Article from 3 years ago about dev hell.

Last edited:

Hudo

How the fuck did they fuck this project up so badly? They just needed to take what was in AC4, strip away the assassin stuff (which was shoehorned in anyway), expand on it with content and maybe a fleet management metagame or so. Maybe be able to romance some governor's daughter or so (hello, Sid Meier's Pirates!) and put that shit out.
Would've been a far better game with a lot less dev time.

One of the worst clusterfucks of a project I have seen in gaming.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
There's a game that literally lets you do that... it's called Sea of Thieves.

SOT has nowhere near the amount of NPC participants (does it even have NPC's as routine) and just general combat design that AC:BF had (which is clearly the "ship boarding" combat folks are looking for).

. . .and again, we have no idea whether or not they actually tried to make this work and simply couldn't (the sentiment seems to be that they just didn't bother to think about it, which is just absurd).

You can board other ships in assassin’s creed:eek:dyssey. It’s fun, I dint know why they didn’t include it.

I played a few hours of the open beta. I wanted to like it. But, I found the quest structure unclear. I couldn’t figure out how to get the crowbar at first. The resource gathering mini game isn’t great and wouldn’t always trigger when I sailed near them. Sailing felt slow, but at least combat was ok.

I was walking on an island and talked to a vendor. Game froze up my Xbox so I rebooted and uninstalled. I might try it again if it ever hits the $5 bargain bin sale or gets a ton of updates. But for now, it’s just not that good.

Every High Profile Ubisoft game is exactly the same. They, like Bethesda, only know one formula.
Fixed. The 2D Rayman teams, The Mario Rabbids team, and the Steep/Rider’s Republic teams have been making fun games.

It’s going to be upsetting one day when one of the above teams are closed/let go because of the AC/Far Cry teams constant screwups.

StereoVsn

Yep, I mean the first thing you think about a pirate game is that you need to do resource gathering. Like seriously!?

Why couldn’t Ubi just do Black Flag 2? 😞

First I did some major naval combat in a seemingly indestructible speed car-boat hybrid, then I had a shark follow my boat, and then I could throw an insane amount of spears at it while it circled and jump-attacked my boat. Then I shut down the game.

Haven't started it since.

iHaunter

Fixed. The 2D Rayman teams, The Mario Rabbids team, and the Steep/Rider’s Republic teams have been making fun games.

It’s going to be upsetting one day when one of the above teams are closed/let go because of the AC/Far Cry teams constant screwups.
I should've said the AAA teams. I do like Rayman.

Alebrije

Saw some videos of it's gameplay and still can not believe this Game Will release at that price.

Just naval combats where You can not board the other ship just fire your guns on it.

Your character can.not swim

The way You get resources is boring

It's a half Baked concept , only if you are a super lover of sea combat will like it.

Of You want to play as a pirate just get Blackflag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom