• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns' Ending Teases the Future of Metroid (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

About bloody time, but unless we're getting a Fusion remake, I'm pretty sure the X are basically dead as a species, since Samus basically glassed SR-388 by colony-dropping it (and if the colony drop didn't do the job, the Federation would've finished it via orbital bombardment - they may be crazy enough to try and make more Metroids, but you'd think even they know the X are not worth fucking with, but morally questionable governments/corporations aren't known for drawing lines in sci-fi).

Though, finally meeting actual live Chozo is gonna be big as far as the series goes.

Also, lul at Samus not fucking around when it comes to Ridley despite the game being supervised by Sakamoto. Maybe Nintendo is finally reeling him in?

The whole point of glassing SR388 was to stop the Federation from messing with the X. The whole reason Samus rebelled and launched the base was because Adam told her they were coming to capture the X.

In short. Yes they are that stupid.

MechaX

The whole point of glassing SR388 was to stop the Federation from messing with the X. The whole reason Samus rebelled and launched the base was because Adam told her they were coming to capture the X.

I don't remember how the exact convo went, but I think the Federation was definitely thinking they could tame shit like the SA-X as well. With that mindset, what's the worth of Metroids when you can have 30+ SA-X's?

But yeah, they definitely were that stupid.

Oh, fuck, yeah, now I remember, they REALLY wanted to get their hands on the SA-X. I can understand why, the prospect of an army of Samuses would make any government/military official who doesn't know any better utterly drool. But they should also be aware of how practically impossible it is to keep the X contained, nevermind controlled.

Tuck

I hope this leads to new villains for the franchise. Ridley and the space pirates desperately need a break.

RRockman

Banned
Chozo 1: We need to study the X (I will use it to take over the galaxy).

Chozo 2: Nah fuck it, just create these jellyfish that suck the energy out of everything to do it! (I will use them to take over the galaxy)

Chozo 3: Wait guys, what if I inject a human being with our DNA and give her the Power Suit we've been testing? She can be the protector of the galaxy, like a female space Superman.

And #3 was never heard from again.

Lol

That said, not sure how much of a fight a Chozo warrior would put up against Samus.

Zero Mission already canonized Old Bird and Gray Voice. The former dies of age, the latter is killed by MB and Ridley.

Old Bird is alive long after the event of SR388 as is Gray Voice.

Ah! I forgot all about that. Guess that's because of how long I've been out of the game.

And I think If the Chozo has been active in secret this whole time then they should have superior armor and weapons right?

I would actually love if the reason for Samus being depowered and stuck in an unfamiliar environment in Metroid V is because she attempted to take on one of those guys and she gets rekt and thrown down a deep hole.

Would make recollecting your powers for a rematch very interesting.

Teuoxton

More connections to the Zero Mission manga? Awesome!
It's good to see that concept art of Chozo armor is sorta close to Gray Voice in battle gear:
latest
latest

Cerium

And I think If the Chozo has been active in secret this whole time then they should have superior armor and weapons right?

If the warrior faction wiped out the scientist faction, it's possible that their tech has stagnated.

Although the big bad looks like he has a version of Samus' arm cannon while all the other warrior Chozo are wielding the stick guns from the manga.

Ezalc

You know this could be a good way to continue the series after fusion and for Samus to get an upgraded suit again.

After Fusion she's on the run from the federation when she gets wind of some long lost chozo remnants or bird like aliens somewhere. Out of options she decides to check it out and finds them and starts helping them out with some random task. As the game progresses the task they had her do starts becoming more obvious that it is evil in nature and she gets suspicious of their motives. After some event, she confronts them and defeats many of the evil chozo while stealing one of their upgraded powersuits.

In the meantime you got Sylux watching all this shit go down and reporting to the federation what's going on.

Game ends with Samus defeating a sizeable force of the Chozo but not all because they do some gonna blow up the planet shit and escape in the confusion while Samus tries to get off planet to do the same.

Now you got the last few evil Chozo, Sylux and the Federation gunning for Samus. In a moment of desperation she turns to the other species she has helped like the Luminoth to try to find some shelter to plan the next move.

Nice to have some wild ass fan theories. Still, it'd be interesting if they found a way to merge everything into one line and continue this thing of Samus being hunted and outgunned in exile while trying to find a way to deal with all of these bitter motherfuckers gunning for the Queen.

Dmax3901

Yeah this lore has made me way more excited for Metroid Prime 4/the next 3DS Metroid (if they go down that path).

To me it appears the figure at the end has staged some sort of coup (love how he has an arm cannon). Given the absence of the Chozo on SR388 and the rest of the galaxy, perhaps he's taken the army/survivors to some new planet and gone radio silent to rebuild their society or create new Metroids as you say.

Imagine, as Samus, accidentally discovering this hidden Chozo homeworld, but it's not the Chozo she remembers from her youth. And having this badass evil Chozo with an arm cannon as a dark samus type figure.

You know this could be a good way to continue the series after fusion and for Samus to get an upgraded suit again.

After Fusion she's on the run from the federation when she gets wind of some long lost chozo remnants or bird like aliens somewhere. Out of options she decides to check it out and finds them and starts helping them out with some random task. As the game progresses the task they had her do starts becoming more obvious that it is evil in nature and she gets suspicious of their motives. After some event, she confronts them and defeats many of the evil chozo while stealing one of their upgraded powersuits.

In the meantime you got Sylux watching all this shit go down and reporting to the federation what's going on.

Game ends with Samus defeating a sizeable force of the Chozo but not all because they do some gonna blow up the planet shit and escape in the confusion while Samus tries to get off planet to do the same.

Now you got the last few evil Chozo, Sylux and the Federation gunning for Samus. In a moment of desperation she turns to the other species she has helped like the Luminoth to try to find some shelter to plan the next move.

Nice to have some wild ass fan theories. Still, it'd be interesting if they found a way to merge everything into one line and continue this thing of Samus being hunted and outgunned in exile while trying to find a way to deal with all of these bitter motherfuckers gunning for the Queen.

Doesn't Sylux hate the Federation too? Why would he be reporting to them?

Ezalc

I dunno I haven't actually played the metroid games where he appears hahaha. If anything it could be even better that way, do a dumb enemy of my enemy is my friend plot. Having Sylux as a third enemy could be interesting.

Smeags

Ridley finally gets his due as a final boss!

(Too bad the fight seemed like a total pushover. The player was hit... twice? Ill take what I can get!)

#ridleyforsmash

daedalius

Awesome, wish I had a 3ds to play it on, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the new prime game.

Hopefully this lore is integrated with it.

Cerium

Ridley finally gets his due as a final boss!

(Too bad the fight seemed like a total pushover. The player was hit... twice? Ill take what I can get!)

#ridleyforsmash

Player in the video had 100% of the powerups and is good at the game.

As someone who's only played the 2D games, does the Prime trilogy end with a nice wrap up? I wonder if Metroid Prime 4 might only be called that for the sake of establishing a connection to that style of gameplay, but with a continuation of the original series' story. I'd be cool with an evil Chozo villain.

As someone who's only played the 2D games, does the Prime trilogy end with a nice wrap up? I wonder if Metroid Prime 4 might only be called that for the sake of establishing a connection to that style of gameplay, but with a continuation of the original series' story. I'd be cool with an evil Chozo villain.
Metroid Prime 3 has a pretty conclusive ending.

In my head or I sorta consider the GFed from Sakamoto games to be a different one than in Prime. I like the Prime federation, but Sakamoto's just seem like idiots that want to use "insert game here's deadly and uncontrollable new being" for vaguely nefarious purposes. Maybe I just played Prime 3 at the perfect point in my life, but I seem to be in the minority when it comes to liking the GFed.

Though Anthony deserves to return. I remember you Anthony

Feffe

Guys those are amazing ideas, but how do you integrate them in a game which is all about being alone on a planet full of wildlife?

Sylux is Prime stuff, he/she will never appear in a Sakamoto's Metroid.

We basically have two ongoing story arc, the Prime series between Metroid I and II and whatever you want to call the Other M-Fusion-Metroid V arc.

NewGame

Banned
I'm not really happy with this general and humanic abstraction of the Chozo. Looks like a dumb hollywood plot writ large.

Where's the damn post fusion Samus vs The Feds game?

About the fight with
Ridley...it's pretty neat how he's actually partially in his Meta Ridley form. It's probably the most explicit reference to the Prime series Sakamoto has ever done in any of his games and it's a neat little way to explain his transition back into his organic appearence seen in Super Metroid.

I know this plot would probably carry over into whatever the next side scrolling Metroid is, but man it would be cool if the main villains in Prime 4 were a rogue group of Chozo. And it would be cool to see Samus' upgraded suits being more ancient in design as she gathers tech from their various strongholds.

Feffe

About the fight with
Ridley...it's pretty neat how he's actually partially in his Meta Ridley form. It's probably the most explicit reference to the Prime series Sakamoto has ever done in any of his games and it's a neat little way to explain his transition back into his organic appearence seen in Super Metroid.
Yeah, we also somehow saw its genesis at the end of Zero Mission :)

As much as the extra cutscene makes me yearn for a Fusion remake, I just want to see where Metroid goes on after that game

It's been long overdue for a sequel

Then again THE ATMOSPHERE AND EERIE NATURE OF FUSION WOULD BE SO AMAZING IN HD

Metroid Prime 3 has a pretty conclusive ending.
Well except for when we see Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters watching everything and stalking Samus during one of the secret endings.

Also I think an evil chozo that was a villain for the series and Samus nemesis would be a good change for Metroid V. Although they've done the evil and corrupt GF plot twice now so hopefully that goes somewhere.

I find the Metroid universe and story interesting but there aren't that many entries in the series. They release sporadically and there are so many gaps in between releases that it's hard to care. Not too mention when Sakamato released other m and sent Metroid Prime into an alternate universe that is not part of the main canon series.

Ezalc

Guys those are amazing ideas, but how do you integrate them in a game which is all about being alone on a planet full of wildlife?

Sylux is Prime stuff, he/she will never appear in a Sakamoto's Metroid.

We basically have two ongoing story arc, the Prime series between Metroid I and II and whatever you want to call the Other M-Fusion-Metroid V arc.

Sure but doesn't one of the 2d metroid games end with some mysterious ship chasing after Samus?

jrDev

So I just realized with them making Metroid Prime 4, this means Metroid hasn't moved forward chronologically in years and more years to come..,

So I just realized with them making Metroid Prime 4, this means Metroid hasn't moved forward chronologically in years and more years to come..,
Sakamoto relegated the Prime series to an alternate universe so that Other M could work in the timeline. At this point, Prime is telling a completely different story than the 2D Metroids.

Top Bottom