• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God! Nolan's Dark Knight Rises is such a terrible movie!

Alienous

I thought he abandoned the Howard Hughes movie before he even did Batman Begins.

I recall him talking about it prior to The Dark Knight Rises, specifically with Bruce Wayne's reclusiveness being similar to Howard Hughes. I specifically remember that being a passionate interest of his.

TaterTots

Banned
Where does this stuff come from?

Dude wasn't contacted for TDKR after TDK. He chose to come back. After making Inception. And I strongly doubt they had given TDKR any thought while Ledger was still alive.

I left SMH after forty minutes. I'm not going to review it and make shit up for "omg so bad lol" thread boasting.

Yup. I came to post this. Nolan came back on his own because he wanted to. People saying his "vision" was destroyed do not understand that THIS was his vision.

The fight choreography is laughably terrible at times and there are some gaping plot holes but it's far from being anything less than great regardless. It's epic, it wraps up the trilogy in a satisfying way and it contains some of the best Batman moments ever put to film.

Hell, I would argue it's far more enjoyable than Interstellar and Dunkirk but I understand that I'm in the minority there.

Is it that time of month again already? We just need two sticky ot threads, one about dark knight rises and one about batman v superman.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
It's the weakest of his Batman films but I've never thought of it as a bad film whatsoever. Nolan decided to approach it with a unique "disaster movie" sort of angle -- it just turned out hokey-er than what he probably thought. Nevertheless, it's still a superhero movie and overall trilogy that I'd prefer to see than most material these days.

It was kinda messy but I enjoyed it. Opening plane scene in IMAX still one of my favorite theater experiences I've ever had. Took my breath away.

Is it that time of month again already? We just need two sticky ot threads, one about dark knight rises and one about batman v superman.

Well, the dude who kept White Knighting (ha!) for Chris Nolan got banned so maybe we can have a thread that doesn't degrade into petty personal attacks this time.

I watched this about 2 months ago. Really enjoyed it. I've no idea why the "internet" has decided to hate the film. The biggest achievement was cat women. Fantastic performance from Hathaway.

tbm24

I really liked the movie. I saw it opening night, theater played begins and TDK before midnight when they showed Rises. The plot worked for me, Hathaway was amazing, and the shot of Batman in the daylight in the middle of the rebellion against bane was pretty cool to see.

Shauni

With the Dark Knight's "hey, the Patriot Act is necessary to save lives" thing and TDKR framing Occupy Wall St as the bad guys, Chris Nolan has some weird-ass politics.

Well Lucious destroys it at the end, so I took it more like, "We need this at the moment, but it needs not to be abused" type of deal

CryptiK

The worst of TDK trilogy would still be the creme de la creme of the likes of the MCU.
pfft yeah right. Better than Thor 2, Hulk and Iron Man 3 for sure but not even touching the others. DKR isnt even remotely in the league of The Dark Knight.

Caelus

Probably not a popular opinion, but my enjoyment of the Nolan films is dampened by his depiction of Batman - moreso his visual appearance rather than his character, which is fine.

I can't get past how clunky and over-detailed the suit looks, how dumb the growl-y voice is (why would a high-tech superhero not use a voice filter or eye lens?), and how awkward he looks and moves as a whole in all three movies.

VDenter

Banned
It was the worst out of the three movies. But i will take it any day of the week over any of the recent DC garbage that has been released. If you want a truly bad super hero movie look no further than Batman V Super Man or Suicide Squad.

As it stands Rises is not a bad movie its only a disappointing movie when compared to the previous two Nolan Batman films.

Astral Dog

Looking back the plot with the bomb was dumb and Thalia almost ruined the movie by herself. Hathaway was great and Tom Bane did what he could but he was no Joker :'(

shira

fish taco
dac15_surprise.gif

Truant

Hyperbole.

But it should have been a lot better, considering the talent and money put into it. Nolan managed to create a more quotable villain than The Joker, so that's something.

RMI

Banned
I enjoyed it. Actually my second favorite of the trilogy. Bane's plan is not more stupid than using a giant microwave emitter to turn tainted water in the pipes into hallucinogenic gas.

I thought it was a pretty solid movie until the last 20 or so minutes, then it just pulled out all the stops to make me dislike it.

The sudden weak killing off of bane, the reveal of the "true" Villian, and the scene at the end with Alfred looking up to see bruce still alive pretty much ruined the film for me, which is a shame, because for 2.5 hours it's a great successor to TDK.

Tuck

I like it but I recognize the flaws, especially in the back half. The stuff with the police was a bit stupid.

Movie is so quotable, so many awesome lines. Loved the ending.

ascii42

I've always felt you had to suspend your disbelief a little bit to think that the public at large couldn't figure out that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

Gordon, in particular. When he figures it out towards the end of the movie I was like "seriously?" especially given how quickly other people managed to figure it out. Until then I figured it was a "he knew but pretended not to" sort of thing.

rexor0717

I loved it when I saw it in theaters, but really disliked it on rewatch. Probably the biggest shift in opinion I've had with a movie.

Another TDKR bashing thread? We have like a million of those already. TDKR is definitely a "flawed film", but I still think it's a magnificent movie nonetheless. For one thing I always saw it as logical conclusion to his trilogy. Bruce's character journey throughout the film makes sense for a story perspective, yes there are contradiction and it's not always the most concise of tales, but I think it fits well into the narrative.

Also I don't think the performances are terrible. In fact Hardy was a great Bane, even if he was in-name only, and you could barely understand him, but he did bring the physicality and was "rough" in the role, for example.

I thought he abandoned the Howard Hughes movie before he even did Batman Begins.

He abandoned the Howard Hughes film after Scorsese made The Aviator, that was supposed to be his follow-up to Insomnia. In fact Jim Carrey was set to play Howard Hughes.

Budi

Eeeeeh. I don't see it. Calling it mediocre, sure. Terrible, no way. It's still very competent film making and personally I enjoyed Hardy as Bane very much.

Top Bottom