• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Tawpgun

So what if the new enemies had roles in taking you down?

Outside of the occasional carbine, covenant weapons would only strip shields quickly.

What if they had an enemy that was a health shredder and one that was a shield destroyer.

Karl2177

Outside of the occasional carbine, covenant weapons would only strip shields quickly.

What if they had an enemy that was a health shredder and one that was a shield destroyer.

Attack robot dogs. Ship it.

Well that looks like where its headed with these forerunner? enemies. Watcher, so on so forth. Named after their role in battle.

Yes H2 Jackal Snipers were too good. Theres a medium ground though. Theres also ways to make combat more dynamic.

Everything should be explored.

Enemies with hitscan weapons usually make for pretty dull encounters.

What's the point of strafing if the AI can just keep pinging you with their perfect aim no matter how you move?

Just watched the Revolution video heckfu posted. I've got a bad feeling about this one. I'll give it a shot for sure, but the whole time I'm going to be thinking of The Postman and Enslaved.

Enemies with hitscan weapons usually make for pretty dull encounters.

What's the point of strafing if the AI can just keep pinging you with their perfect aim no matter how you move?
Did the enemies in Combat Evolved have hitscan? That's still my favorite campaign, but i have no idea what traits they were given.

Trey

Thinking about changing my gamertag since I've never really been a fan of my current one. I need suggestions.

Something charmander related, obviously.

Uh-oh, you can sense the impending meltdown brewing in the Diablo thread. I hope Blizzard takes their time sorting out the issues, the drama is always fun.

Did the enemies in Combat Evolved have hitscan? That's still my favorite campaign, but i have no idea what traits they were given.
I don't think so. Plasma had travel time I believe.
Pretty much this, except for when Flood use human weapons. I'm not sure if human weapons were hitscan or not in CE, but if they weren't then the travel time would be fast enough as to not make much of a difference. You won't be strafing around bullets any time soon.

Franklinator
Knarflinator
Hamlinator
Metta World Peace of Shit

Hamander
Charsky and Hutch
Charmanticor
SometimesImCharmander
Charmorlockhero
TheCharmanderCleansing

Haha I like all of these.

I'm wanting something with Franklin in it since Franklinator is already taken. Best I can come up with is Franklinaut

CyReN

Love the disc.

tumblr_m41z7uvwAw1qdd8efo1_1280.png

Ramirez

I'm so happy I didn't bother with getting a digital version for midnight playing...I knew the servers would implode. Really interested to see what kind of numbers this game pulls in this new age of COD gaming...

heckfu

Banned
I'm so happy I didn't bother with getting a digital version for midnight playing...I knew the servers would implode. Really interested to see what kind of numbers this game pulls in this new age of COD gaming...

TJ Ramfu.

Alright, I'm done here. Night, folks.

I don't remember any of the guns in Halo 1 being hitscan.
And there's our answer.

The human bullet based weapons must've had a very fast travel time then, no?

I think my point still stands though. I hate fighting Heretic Elite's in FF because it's not dynamic. They just hit you, you can't do anything about it except hide in cover. I don't know if the beam rifle in Halo 2 is hitscan or not, but the same principle applies. You can't dodge the sniper beam, you can't see the shot being fired and retaliate or dodge on the fly, it just happens and you're dead. You just to have to spot and shoot them before they shoot you, it's completely uninteresting.

FyreWulff

And there's our answer.

The human bullet based weapons must've had a very fast travel time then, no?

I think my point still stands though. I hate fighting Heretic Elite's in FF because it's not dynamic. They just hit you, you can't do anything about it except hide in cover. I don't know if the beam rifle in Halo 2 is hitscan or not, but the same principle applies. You can't dodge the sniper beam, you can't see the shot being fired and retaliate or dodge on the fly, it just happens and you're dead. You just to have to spot and shoot them before they shoot you, it's completely uninteresting.

You had to lead everything, hence the silly sound Gearbox added to the PC version to confirm that your bullets were landing, since the player movement + bullet travel time got fucked with when the ping changed.

From what I vaguely remember:

Everything in Halo 1 is not hitscan

Halo 2: BR, Sniper Rifle, etc became hitscan like Quake/TF2 uses it (client was trusted a lot, hence the appearance of Sweep Sniping)
Halo 3: Only the Spartan Laser was technically hitscan in the engine, although the Sniper Rifle was functionally hitscan on everything besides Sandtrap at the greatest distances (Source)
Reach: The DMR, Sniper Rifle. and Magnum all have their bullet travel simulated to the maximum distance in a single frame, so are functionally hitscan, but the host still simulates everything.
4: We have the BR confirmed as hitscan, but we don't know if it's Halo 2 style or Reach style yet.

And yes, the Heretics perfect aim makes them annoying as shit, and their rockets home in on you. And the way they use the GL gives me nightmares.

Just a few moments ago, I stepped outside, ready to head to my final day of classes. Just as I'm about to hop on my bike, the gods unleash rain, thunder and lightning on my small country town.

If there has ever been a clearer message that I don't need classes on Excel, I haven't seen it.

EDIT: Holy shit, that box art is real? I like it.

I think he was banned because of the Halo 4 box art thread, but I could be totally wrong since I can't look up his post history at the monent (on my iPod). So I say my stupid brother monsterfracas owes him a heartfelt apology for making that thread.

Top Bottom