• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Capcom and the Switch: what's going on exactly?

As I've said a bunch, they likely didn't have plans to support the system...like, at all until very recently.
Maybe Nintendo foolishly pitched the NX as a console to Capcom and they nope'd the heck out of there.
I'm guessing they changed their mind and used USFII: The Final Challengers as a way to get MT Framework up and running on Switch so they could port MHXX.

But, yeah. No way they had any concrete plans for Switch support until recently. Things may change if MHXX sells, but they kind of set that up to fail so who knows

It's obvious that MH World will miss the mark and the assets will be reused to make Monster Hunter World Portable for Switch. I'm sure the exclusivity contract with Sony does not pertain to the exact polygons of the games substance, merely the name, that version per se. Same thing happened with Monster Hunter Tri.

You guys are so sad LOL

rjc571

Banned
I feel like Capcpom and most other publishers probably thought the Switch would fail and were caught with their pants down by its success, just like with the Wii.

'Having thier pants down' is a shit excuse and you all know it.

We've had what, almost twenty console launches now? More often than not, being the first in line gives you an outsized reward no matter how that system eventually performs down the line (just look at Bomberman). Many new IPs get established or older ones get more sales than they otherwise would compared to an already established ecosystem. Publishers know this. Many titles got released on the 360, Vita and PS4 early even though their respected predecessors had troubles too. What makes a Nintendo console different? We've had that excuse for the GC, Wii, Wii U and now the Switch.

'Not being ready' is just too convenient of an excuse to wave away no Nintendo console support at this point.

'Having thier pants down' is a shit excuse and you all know it.

We've had what, almost twenty console launches now? More often than not, being the first in line gives you an outsized reward no matter how that system eventually performs down the line (just look at Bomberman). Many new IPs get established or older ones get more sales than they otherwise would compared to an already established ecosystem. Publishers know this. Many titles got released on the 360, Vita and PS4 early even though their respected predecessors had troubles too. What makes a Nintendo console different? We've had that excuse for the GC, Wii, Wii U and now the Switch.

'Not being ready' is just too convenient of an excuse to wave away no Nintendo console support at this point.
Yeah, even if they were being cautious a MHXX port at launch wouldn't of done them any harm.They had one on Wii U that was a launch title and it had cross compatibility with the 3DS one.

Street Fighter also missing launch and being 2 months and a half late is also pretty bad.
Can't we all be patient? Switch only 3 months old, Capcom support is coming.
It's worth discussing. They clearly didn't have much hope for it.

Akainu

I've seen the responses to my last post and I'll just re-iterate, this thread should just be renamed "So, Capcom and videogames: what's going on exactly?". The same arguments here can also be put forward to PS4 and XB1.

Capcom Japan's first original title this generation was Street Fighter V, a game that came out nearly 2 and a half years after the new systems launched. Since then we've had Resident Evil VII + a shit tonne of ports of their old games, with Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen being the latest announcement. Save for those we know that MvC: Infinite and Monster Hunter World are coming soon.

Deep Down and their new Phanta Rei engine are nowhere to be seen either, 4 years since being revealed publicly.

There's nothing going on with Capcom regards to the Switch other than the same thing that happened with PS4 and XB1. They're clearly finding it hard to find the resource to make new titles, throw Switch into the mix and it's going to make it even more difficult for them.

I'm sure the Switch games will come, but y'all should temper your expectations a lil bit I think, especially when Switch isn't even 4 months old yet. It sucks, but unfortunately it's not an issue that's exclusive to the Switch by any means.
Or or or or they just hate the switch and want it to fail.

Some of you people act like they are treating it like the vita.

Defuser

Wouldn't it be safe to say Capcom and plenty of other developers were confused about Switch concept that they didn't know what to do initially which lead to this?

They probably thought Nintendo will carry on the usual console and handheld hardware but what came out was a hybrid so they don't know whether they should do a console title or a portable title.

Usobuko

Banned
All I remember was Japan was slow in transitioning to ps4 too. They made a bunch of ps3/ps4 games to build install base first at the start.

Vena

For a few weeks maybe, but then... good luck with that prediction. With upcoming DQXI, MHW and FFVII: Remake it will be ahead of the PS3 again.

Also, I'm pretty sure, there will be another price drop for PS4 too.

edit: and btw

I don't think you understood what I said. Did you even look at your graph? When Slim/FFXIII launched, the PS3 caught right back up in a matter of weeks. As the PS3 hit its Slim/FFXIII moment, it shredded the gap. (I mean, do you think I haven't seen that plot on a weekly basis?)

What follows is the relevant data:

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 172|   32.130|4.741.902|   21.346|4.807.438|        65.536|
| 173|   27.763|4.769.665|   19.141|4.826.579|        56.914|
| 174|   28.824|4.798.489|   24.046|4.850.625|        52.136|
| 175|   26.481|4.824.970|         |         |              |
| 176|   50.164|4.875.134|         |         |              |
| 177|   50.448|4.925.582|         |         |              |
| 178|   38.877|4.964.459|         |         |              |
| 179|   28.973|4.993.432|         |         |              |
| 180|   25.590|5.019.022|         |         |              |
| 181|   25.629|5.044.651|         |         |              |
| 182|   32.874|5.077.525|         |         |              |
| 183|   26.185|5.103.710|         |         |              |

Except for the coming weeks around which DQXI will be launching in roughly a month's time, the PS3 is going to keep eating away at (the PS4's lead) and then build its lead as its ~average weekly performance was in the range of ~25k-30k + a couple of bolstered release weeks. The PS4 in its dead-summer release calendar/state is (this past week seeing store promotion) straddling 20k.

From there, while DQXI may have a weekly bump, there is *no* large software left for the remainder of the year. MHW that you quote and seem to believe will matter doesn't launch until a nebulous time next year, and FFVIIR is never launching at its current rate and is effectively irrelevant. This is actually the major problem the PS4 faces here on out. It has very little marquee software left to dredge it up from a coma every few months.

And remember, the PS3 was doing this in the shadow of the *peak* of the Wii. The PS4 is struggling to perform as well as a strictly second place system as the lone major home console this generation.

dracula_x

I don't think you understood what I said. Did you even look at your graph? When Slim/FFXIII launched, the PS3 caught right back up in a matter of weeks. As the PS3 hit its Slim/FFXIII moment, it shredded the gap. (I mean, do you think I haven't seen that plot on a weekly basis?)

What follows is the relevant data:

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 172|   32.130|4.741.902|   21.346|4.807.438|        65.536|
| 173|   27.763|4.769.665|   19.141|4.826.579|        56.914|
| 174|   28.824|4.798.489|   24.046|4.850.625|        52.136|
| 175|   26.481|4.824.970|         |         |              |
| 176|   50.164|4.875.134|         |         |              |
| 177|   50.448|4.925.582|         |         |              |
| 178|   38.877|4.964.459|         |         |              |
| 179|   28.973|4.993.432|         |         |              |
| 180|   25.590|5.019.022|         |         |              |
| 181|   25.629|5.044.651|         |         |              |
| 182|   32.874|5.077.525|         |         |              |
| 183|   26.185|5.103.710|         |         |              |

Except for the coming weeks around which DQXI will be launching in roughly a month's time, the PS3 is going to keep eating away at (the PS4's lead) and then build its lead as its ~average weekly performance was in the range of ~25k-30k + a couple of bolstered release weeks. The PS4 in its dead-summer release calendar/state is (this past week seeing store promotion) straddling 20k.

From there, while DQXI may have a weekly bump, there is *no* large software left for the remainder of the year. MHW that you quote and seem to believe will matter doesn't launch until a nebulous time next year, and FFVIIR is never launching at its current rate and is effectively irrelevant. This is actually the major problem the PS4 faces here on out. It has very little marquee software left to dredge it up from a coma every few months.

And remember, the PS3 was doing this in the shadow of the *peak* of the Wii. The PS4 is struggling to perform as well as a strictly second place system as the lone major home console this generation.

Sure :)

I've seen the responses to my last post and I'll just re-iterate, this thread should just be renamed "So, Capcom and videogames: what's going on exactly?". The same arguments here can also be put forward to PS4 and XB1.

Capcom Japan's first original title this generation was Street Fighter V, a game that came out nearly 2 and a half years after the new systems launched. Since then we've had Resident Evil VII + a shit tonne of ports of their old games, with Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen being the latest announcement. Save for those we know that MvC: Infinite and Monster Hunter World are coming soon.

Deep Down and their new Phanta Rei engine are nowhere to be seen either, 4 years since being revealed publicly.

There's nothing going on with Capcom regards to the Switch other than the same thing that happened with PS4 and XB1. They're clearly finding it hard to find the resource to make new titles, throw Switch into the mix and it's going to make it even more difficult for them.

I'm sure the Switch games will come, but y'all should temper your expectations a lil bit I think, especially when Switch isn't even 4 months old yet. It sucks, but unfortunately it's not an issue that's exclusive to the Switch by any means.
I'll agree with that. Theres already been multiple threads created about capcom in general lately that most people probably voiced their opinion about their decisions in the past 2 weeks. I think we're just really confused on what theyre doing.

Koppai

I would say wait for Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show where all the cool Japanese games get announced.i think they just aren't ready to show anything for Switch yet.

We get that capcom is fairly inept, but if they're having trouble with this HD development doubling
deep
down on it doesn't seem particularly smart...though it's capcom we're talking about

Well, it's Capcom's loss if they don't support Switch. I was one of the naysayers, pretty shocked at how well Switch is doing. It's certainly the hot thing right now and likely to continue in Japan.

le.phat

That's why the one piece of hardware that is capable of doing both is ignored. Yup that was a good decision.

Maybe they can't get it running on switch? Anyway, I'm pretty positive that the global current gen console market + PC market are massively bigger then the current ( or potential future ) switch market. So how was this a bad decision?

MoonFrog

Hmmm...what's the announcement/release/localization cycle like with AA anyway? They just released the second period one on 3DS; when should we be hearing about the next game?

As to MH, presumably the XX team is working on something again and MatrixMan.EXE is adamant it is Switch MH (which he/she presents as knowledge? Or is it speculation? Unclear on that...).

Resident Evil has a lot of history on Nintendo, so it'll be curious whether the series, going forward, skips the device.

Neoxon

I would say wait for Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show where all the cool Japanese games get announced.i think they just aren't ready to show anything for Switch yet.
I'd go as far as to say wait until next year. Unless Capcom pulls something crazy like putting AA7 on mobile first & actively avoid the Switch, I'm not sure if we should go into Doomsday Mode.

HotHamBoy

Man, people have some RIDICULOUS expectations for 3rd Party and Switch.

The Wii was cheap to develop for and motion controls were hot, the Wii was hot. Third party sold like shit.

The Wii U was a massive flop, but it had parity with the latest home consoles, which were the PS3 and 360 in 2012. It got some third party support that sold like shit.

So the Switch is doing better than expected and people expect third party devs to shit out a game in in the next 6 months for a console that isn't nearly as powerful as an XB1?

And it IS getting a lot of tgird party support, but it's mainly from indies. That's not a bad thing. Capcom isn't really putting out the smaller downloadable titles tgis gen like they did last gen so they don't have much to port because, again, the system is weak.

antonz

The Wii was cheap to develop for and motion controls were hot, the Wii was hot. Third party sold like shit.

The Wii U was a massive flop, but it had parity with the latest home consoles, which were the PS3 and 360 in 2012. It got some third party support that sold like shit.

So the Switch is doing better than expected and people expect third party devs to shit out a game in in the next 6 months for a console that isn't nearly as powerful as an XB1?

The Wii had a fantastic software attach rate and third parties sold quite well. The myth that the Wii did horrible just never dies.

Wii U sucked and yeah it did bad so the Timid reception of Switch was to be expected. That said Japanese 3rd Party is already in process of jumping on board but like you said it doesn't happen overnight.

HotHamBoy

9:1 is shitty?

Some of you just love making shit up about the Wii.

For third party??

Well, maybe I'm wrong about how well third party sold on Wii (i swear i've read that before) but I stand by the fact that those games were laegely PS2 ports and shovelware and was cheap to develip for.

Is that what you want? More last gen ports like Skyrim? Yippy.

Umm no.

Pokemaniac

The Wii had a shitty software attache rate

The average Wii owner bought ~9 games. That's pretty much the same as the PS3 and 360 attach rates.

HotHamBoy

The average Wii owner bought ~9 games. That's pretty much the same as the PS3 and 360 attach rates.

Buy were they Nintendo games or 3rd party?

The average person buys 9 games and im guessing among them you would find:

Zelda Twilight Princess
Warioware Smooth Moves
Metroid Prime 3
Wii Play
Wii Party
NSMBW
Wii Sports Resort
Mario Party 8
Mario Kart Wii
Smash Bros Brawl
Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Wii Fit
Animal Crossing City Folk
DKC Returns
The New Play style games

And...

Just Dance
Madden
Fifa
Call of Duty
Carnival Games

Edit:

So yeah, pretty much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

Compare to the best selling 360 software:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_360_video_games

The ratio of third party sales on those two lists speaks for itself.

What's the point in trying to say the Wii didn't sell many 3rd party games at this point? Capcom heavily supported the 3DS and moved tens of millions of software units on that platform. That's what makes it weird that they're not on board with the Switch, regardless of some decade-old spin about the Wii.

HotHamBoy

not like there was much to sell from third parties. the meager support it did get sold fine.

Wii got a lot of third party support and Capcim was one of its best supporters.

From the beginning with Zack and Wiki, with strong Resident Evil ports, with the exclusive Tatsunoko vs Capcom, etc, some really great shit.

What's the point in trying to say the Wii didn't sell many 3rd party games at this point? Capcom heavily supported the 3DS and moved tens of millions of software units on that platform. That's what makes it weird that they're not on board with the Switch, regardless of some decade-old spin about the Wii.

So my personal theory is that the DS and the 3DS (less so) were relatively cheap handhelds to buy and to develop for. Third party has always sold well on Nintendo handhelds.

Switch, while having a portable mode, has been very strongly sold as a home console first and foremost. It's $300. It's more expensive to develop for than 3DS and DS were.

Remember than last gen saw a significant increase in the length of development cycles. The Switch has those resource costs that DS and 3DS did not.

Neonep

I feel like Capcpom and most other publishers probably thought the Switch would fail and were caught with their pants down by its success, just like with the Wii.

If that's what had to happen for us to get Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, so be it....

It's obvious that MH World will miss the mark and the assets will be reused to make Monster Hunter World Portable for Switch. I'm sure the exclusivity contract with Sony does not pertain to the exact polygons of the games substance, merely the name, that version per se. Same thing happened with Monster Hunter Tri.

There is no exclusivity contract with Sony. Stahp.

They gave Vita better support.

This is a lie. In its near 6 years of life, Vita barely received any support from Capcom. The Switch is 3 months old. Let's not be disingenuous now just to spin this "Capcom hates the Switch" narrative.

Isn't Capcom in a DIRE state right now? They can barely support current gen consoles. Pretty much all of their major console entries for this gen have been a mix of ports, 1st party funded, and fairly lower budget titles. They probably didn't want to take any risks until they knew it had a solid install base.

So my personal theory is that the DS and the 3DS (less so) were relatively cheap handhelds to buy and to develop for. Third party has always sold well on Nintendo handhelds.

Switch, while having a portable mode, has been very strongly sold as a home console first and foremost. It's $300. It's more expensive to develop for than 3DS and DS were.

Remember than last gen saw a significant increase in the length of development cycles. The Switch has those resource costs that DS and 3DS did not.

It being $300 and marketed as a console doesn't seem like it should be too great of a barrier for Capcom. It's the only current gen handheld on the market. Publishers that heavily supported the 3DS should logically support the Switch as well, as that's where past and current 3DS owners will be migrating over the next few years. I'd lump Vita in there too, since displaced Vita owners won't really have anywhere else to go once support there ends.

Also, just because the Switch is an HD console with higher specs than previous Nintendo machines doesn't mean developers need to take full advantage of that. Cheaper handheld-like games can still exist on the platform. If there's market space for indies, there's market space for budget games from major publishers too.

There is no exclusivity contract with Sony. Stahp.

This is a lie. In its near 6 years of life, Vita barely received any support from Capcom. The Switch is 3 months old. Let's not be disingenuous now just to spin this "Capcom hates the Switch" narrative.

At the beginning they gave the Vita UMVC and SVT how is that not better than USF2?

HotHamBoy

It being $300 and marketed as a console doesn't seem like it should be too great of a barrier for Capcom. It's the only current gen handheld on the market. Publishers that heavily supported the 3DS should logically support the Switch as well, as that's where past and current 3DS owners will be migrating over the next few years. I'd lump Vita in there too, since displaced Vita owners won't really have anywhere else to go once support there ends.

Also, just because the Switch is an HD console with higher specs than previous Nintendo machines doesn't mean developers need to take full advantage of that. Cheaper handheld-like games can still exist on the platform. If there's market space for indies, there's market space for budget games from major publishers too.

Seems like Capcom hasn't been able to do much without first party partnerships this gen.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I also want to add to others that have been saying this. I do not at all buy that Capcom didn't know what the Switch was very early on. Capcom is a company that has gotten Nintendo to make hardware revisions and to put out attachments to hardware! Are people really going to say Capcom wasn't among the first to know what the Switch, then NX, was? That they would very likely wouldn't have been among the first to get the first version of the dev kit? That they weren't asked for their input during the design? There are only a handful of companies Nintendo would look to and accept design input from and they're all Japanese and likely have a large influence when it comes to game sales on Nintendo hardware. Capcom would be one of those few due to the position they had on the DS and 3DS with Monster Hunter. I do not at all buy that they didn't have enough time and didn't know what Nintendo was making nor that they didn't realize it's potential as a new system that was portable.

People keep talking about how Capcom wants to do MH in HD. The Switch is a damn HD system!!! It's Nintendo's second!!!
This comment perfectly sums it up.

Anoxida

I am confused by this response.

It makes sense since u clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you should have a look into how much some western ips actually sells in Japan nowadays. There's more 200k+ titles releasing this year than DQXI.

On topic: Seems like Capcom didnt believe in the project. Cant really blame them it turned out better both in practice and sales wise than the majority of us thought. If world sells well I dont think main series will return to nintendo. They'll release sidegames for nintendo consoles instead.

Estoc

If you want to sell a franchise to an international audience, reaching as many as possible, you'd likely want to put the game on the platforms that already have a lot of users, not a growing one, not matter how strong the growth is.

I believe this is pure business, nothing dramatic, Occam's razor and that. Capcom merely feels that MH World is a more worthy investment (as a reach out to the West) than localisation of MHXX Switch. MHXX Switch release could also cannibalise(is that the word?) their MH World sales.

I'm sure once Switch's number is up, Capcom will be more than happy to make games for Nintendo. I still believe MH is best on portable, especially in Japan, even if I'm cautiously optimistic about MH World(being a PC gamer and all).

At the beginning they gave the Vita UMVC and SVT how is that not better than USF2?

In a shorter amount of time, people (in Japan) are getting USF2 and MHXX.

Their Vita support more or less ended with those games as well outside of MH Frontier and that really shitty port of Revelations 2. That was all the system got in 6 years. Switch is 3 months old so I think it's a bit premature to say "the vita had better Capcom support".

Lelou

I'm mostly curious about the future of Ace Attorney.

I really don't want it to be mobile.....

I don't get it.
It seems that capcom what to throw away this brand but on the same time, the team working on it are really really passionate.

Looking back to PW vs PL, i never seen a better crossover in my entire life and probably even the best phoenix wright i played, i still hope that point and click adventure will have a future somewhere..

ramparter

Banned

Very good point imo.

I'll be very very surprised if there isn't a P version of MHW in ~2019

That's what I'm starting to think too. MHW will do ok, just like the original MH did in its time. Then we'll get a portable version a year after with local multiplayer and downgraded visuals that'll sale like crazy in Japan.

Still that's far away and hypothetical. I want more from Capcom than Monster Hunter.

Top Bottom