• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

EatChildren said:
So lets keep a running tab of the retconning and invalidation of past events that the writers are now guilty of;

- Reapers flying back to the galaxy invalidates the entire events of Mass Effect.
- Udina is canon councillor for no reason.
- Events of Arrival basically meaningless.
- Humans and Turians could talk to one another in the First Contact War, and referred to each other by race name.
- TIM and co visit Illium right after the war without any wonder or mystery to this new alien world, nor any odd reactions from the locals who have only just learned of humans existing.
- TIM is now working for the Reapers, invalidating all of the events of Mass Effect 2.

Not 100% sure, but I read something about one of the later ME2 novels having Tim talk about the data they got from the Collector base, implying that whether they keep it or not is irrelevant.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Not 100% sure, but I read something about one of the later ME2 novels having Tim talk about the data they got from the Collector base, implying that whether they keep it or not is irrelevant.

From memory the third book doesn't imply where he could the Reaper tech from, so it could have been from the Sovereign remains.

But this is the same book that, for no reason, states Udina as the councillor, so it wouldn't be surprised me of they forced "AND HE GOT IT FROM THE COLLECTOR BASE WHICH YOU SAVED BY THE WAY". Because that seems to be the trend.

Jerk

Banned
Nirolak said:
Is it just me, or do the reaperized enemies and the combat strategies surrounding them sound EXACTLY like Dead Space?

No, it is most certainly not just you.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
miladesn said:
It actually explains why they are working with the Reapers in the article,

Actually from the article it was just speculation from the writer, nothing said from Bioware.

FStop7

Banned
Danielsan said:
Cerberus brings you back from the dead to fight the reapers. Now they are working with the reapers. Amazing writing right there...

I am guessing that they ended up being indoctrinated by the collector base if intact or some other artifact if the base was destroyed. So it basically invalidates your final decision from ME2. Which isn't really a surprise, but honestly - just how fucking dumb is Cerberus? They are the Keystone Kops of secret organizations. They literally fuck -everything they do- up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FStop7 said:
I am guessing that they ended up being indoctrinated by the collector base if intact or some other artifact if the base was destroyed. So it basically invalidates your final decision from ME2. Which isn't really a surprise, but honestly - just how fucking dumb is Cerberus? They are the Keystone Kops of secret organizations. They literally fuck -everything they do- up.

The comic Evolution, which is canon, already has TIM as at least partially indoctrinated, so I figure they'll just ride off that.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
miladesn said:
yeah, but that's not bad excuse...

Well considering that Bioware have been tigtly sealed about Cerberus's motives, and no other preview knows the true reason yet. I doubt it's something simple as that when they are being careful with specific spoilers this time around. I'm leaning more that TIM has his own reasons and just stalling time for whatever plan he has that does (or doesn't) getting Shepard, and not indoctrinated by the Reaper's will because that will be too anti-climatic to both the story and the character itself. Even the evolution comic he didn't come under the reaper spell but does have some kind of connection (with the visions he had) so I am sure that'll come to play in this chapter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here are a few more quotes from the article about combat.

"To deal with the last few elites, Shepard [using the freezing concussion shot] freezes them solid to hold them still, then lines up sniper shots exactly through the eye-slits in their shields."

"Put a shield in front of an enemy, and suddenly the ability of the engineer class to place a combat drone behind someone and blow it up gains a new significance. Namely, knocking a guy on his face and shooting him in the head."

"Shepard commando-rolls out of the elite's way - a new move, by the way - and sneaks behind a partition running alongside the main corridor. Liara springs out of cover and pins the elite with a biotic singularity, while Garrus snipes him from cover. Neither kills the elite, but now Shepard is behind him. Rather than fire, he lashes out with his omni-tool, which emits a blade of flame that cuts through the elite's exposed back. He drops."

The reason for it is probably something stupid like the "Reapers have assured as that humanity will be spared as their new puppet species and all those non Cerberus humans suck, so they can die anyway."

I don't know what they mean by "more like ME1 in story". ME1's story to me was more about exploration(or the feeling of it), some idea of realism, and more of an investigation then a race to save something. If the Reapers are on the attack from the beginning, I think it will kind of hard to do something that dosen't seem like the pressure is on. Can't be running around while the universe is on the brink of destruction.

EatChildren said:
So lets keep a running tab of the retconning and invalidation of past events that the writers are now guilty of;

- Reapers flying back to the galaxy invalidates the entire events of Mass Effect.
- Humans and Turians could talk to one another in the First Contact War, and referred to each other by race name.
- TIM and co visit Illium right after the war without any wonder or mystery to this new alien world, nor any odd reactions from the locals who have only just learned of humans existing.
- TIM is now working for the Reapers, invalidating all of the events of Mass Effect 2.
:(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No series of any medium ever has a good story unless it is all planned from the beginning. Mass Effect is following the typical unplanned trilogy format.

Part 1: Do something interesting
Part 2: Make it better in every way except story, replacing plot fundamentals with irrelevant reasons to fight a lot and introducing a lot of pointless characters.
Part 3: Try way too hard to make it a bombastic superending, forgetting the subtlety that encapsulates what fans love most about the series.

You know it will happen. I'm sure it will be fun, and it will be stylish, but overall everyone will feel like it got too "noisy" and the ending too obvious. The first will be known for best story, the second for best gameplay, and the third for trying too hard and not being very clever.

EatChildren

Rahxephon91 said:
I don't know what they mean by "more like ME1 in story". ME1's story to me was more about exploration(or the feeling of it), some idea of realism, and more of an investigation then a race to save something. If the Reapers are on the attack from the beginning, I think it will kind of hard to do something that dosen't seem like the pressure is on. Can't be running around while the universe is on the brink of destruction.

They mean a more focused structure and progression. ME2's 'story' was basically 'DEFEAT THE COLLECTORS', with majority of substance focused on recruiting the characters. As a main plot there wasn't much there as they wanted to focus on the individual stories of each squad mate, that as a whole weren't related to the actual Collector threat.

ME1 on the other hand always kept the focus on the main plot with no real extensions. Every main mission would reveal new insight into the core story, and progress it further.

That seems to be what they want to do with ME3. There's a main plot there that has it's own progression and connection to all main missions, rather than main missions being a series if disconnected missions like the squadmate recruitment in ME2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dice said:
No series of any medium ever has a good story unless it is all planned from the beginning. Mass Effect is following the typical unplanned trilogy format.

Part 1: Do something interesting
Part 2: Make it better in every way except story, replacing plot fundamentals with irrelevant reasons to fight a lot and introducing a lot of pointless characters.
Part 3: Try way too hard to make it a bombastic superending, forgetting the subtlety that encapsulates what fans love most about the series.

You know it will happen. I'm sure it will be fun, and it will be stylish, but overall everyone will feel like it got too "noisy" and the ending too obvious. The first will be known for best story, the second for best gameplay, and the third for trying too hard and not being very clever.
To make something more generic than the combat in Mass Effect 2, they would basically need to fail every single improvement they're attempting with Mass Effect 3.

Jarmel

Banned
Nirolak said:
"Shepard commando-rolls out of the elite's way - a new move, by the way - and sneaks behind a partition running alongside the main corridor. Liara springs out of cover and pins the elite with a biotic singularity, while Garrus snipes him from cover. Neither kills the elite, but now Shepard is behind him. Rather than fire, he lashes out with his omni-tool, which emits a blade of flame that cuts through the elite's exposed back. He drops."

Ok that flaming sword sounds great. "I just penetrated you with my flaming sword of doom".

Dice

Nirolak said:
To make something more generic than the combat in Mass Effect 2, they would basically need to fail every single improvement they're attempting with Mass Effect 3.
Not more generic, just trying too hard. You know, like Unreal Tournament vs Quake 3. Quake 3 is better because it's more classy, it doesn't try too hard.

kuYuri

Liking the sound of all these details. Glad Tali is confirmed.

EatChildren said:

I don't see what's the problem here, other than Udina being a dick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This preview mentions that 70% of people weren't faithful to their ME1 romance. :lol

They reconfirm that this will come back to bite them.

Dice

Nirolak said:
This preview mentions that 70% of people weren't faithful to their ME1 romance. :lol
Well if they didn't pimp their genetically engineered space babe so much...

Yes, Team Liara FTW.

EatChildren

Strider2K99 said:
I don't see what's the problem here, other than Udina being a dick.

Because the way it is written in is completely unnecessary. They seem to have wanted to seperate Anderson from the council for whatever position he'll have in Mass Effect 3, and the ending of the third book sets this up nicely by
having him resign

But that reasoning would have worked regardless of his position. Instead, both the third book and one of the free comics from Walters go out of their way to establish Udina as the councillor for no good reason, when they could have just let it be and have Udina take Anderson's place.

Despite male Shep being 'standard', along with all the renegade choices, the game and story still functions to a certain extent regardless of your gender or choices. The books and the comics go out of their way to avoid referencing any material that might clash with player choices.

Except the Udina thing. It's literally like the forgot the choice was there.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
-Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers
"If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organisation in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are wokring with the Reapers"

Are you fucking kidding me? Can't wait to see how they try to justify that.

Mr_Zombie

Nirolak said:

You know, this is kind of unfair. How could you not be unfaithful, when the one you romanced in ME1 was either:

1) ass because you haven't called them since the attack on Normandy (because being dead for two years is obviously no excuse) and that you work with the evil organization now (that it resurrected you and is the only party interested in saving human race from Collectors is unimportant);

2) completely uninterested in you at the time because she devoted herself to hunt Shadow Broker;

So it's them that didn't want to continue the relationship, not Shepard :/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This preview mentions that 70% of people weren't faithful to their ME1 romance, and that this will come back to bite them.
Oh bullshit, like you were even in a relationship at that point. You get revived from the fucking dead!

EatChildren

Pankaks said:

As I said early, I expect they'll try and rope in what happened to TIM in the comic Evolution, which is the most recent Mass Effect story...thing.

In it you see TIM's backstory, and it shows that he came in contact with some Reaper marker thing that turns people into husks. He, for whatever reason, only got kinda huskified, which is what gave him the funky eyes we see in Mass Effect 2. According to the comic it also gave him visions, and he could hear the Reapers.

I figure since Walters and co are quite happy half arsing plot details and sweeping canon under the rug they'll just go "OH THE ILLUSIVE MAN IS NOW FULLY INDOCTRINATED AND SO ARE ALL HIS FOLLOWERS" and run with it.

Pankaks said:

They've already laid the groundwork in one of those comics, he's been partly indoctrinated by a reaper device that Saren forced him to interact with. (I think it was Saren)

Chinner

Banned
More and more it looks like Mass Effect 1 was a one-off. Oh well, at least we'll get Gears of War 4: In space and with lots of dialog.

IoCaster

Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers
"If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organization in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are working with the Reapers"

Downward spiral of dumb and so predictable. I guess all of the competent writers got airlifted to Austin to work on SW:TOR. The transition BioWare --> EA/BroWare is seemingly a fait accompli. :(

Chinner said:
More and more it looks like Mass Effect 1 was a one-off. Oh well, at least we'll get Gears of War 4: In space and with lots of dialog.

Thought that was pretty obvious after ME2. So much wasted potential and a loss of what was originally a great new IP that needed a few basic tweaks to be perfect. :/

Nirolak said:

Good thing I accidentally never got into another relationship. :p

mxgt

Banned
I can't believe I'm not at all hyped for this game after how much I enjoyed the first and second games.

I just have this lingering feeling that it's going to be a dud like Dragon Age 2.

EatChildren said:

The retconning in the novels was such a stupid move. As such, I've decided no longer to view them as canon, except perhaps Revelation and Ascension.

The only redeemable things here are perhaps Anderson being councilor: I bet it'll be explained in ME3 by Anderson saying "I just got fed up with them, and left them to rot"-if he was a Councilor.

As for the events in Evolution... Those never happened. Never. I dunno who wrote Evolution, but he or she should be ashamed of himself.

In any case, I'm still hyped for this game. Going through an ME1/2 playthrough for exactly this reason. I went with the "Don't care who becomes Councilor"-route in ME1, and then the bastards still make me choose in ME2. I'd always had Anderson in the council, so this time I picked Udina. It makes a lot more sense, when you think about it: Udina being the ass-kissing Council member and Anderson his reluctant aide.

EatChildren

So apparently Hudson had this to say;

While there is indeed an article in PC Gamer, keep in mind unless the article says "Casey Hudson said..." or similar, what they are writing is their take on the information they have seen (this applies to ALL media/magazines/websites, etc). Don't get too worked up on any one item until you hear it confirmed by BioWare someplace.

So the whole "Cerberus working for the Reapers" thing might be wrong. Hopefully.

Kyaw

WTF Cerberus working with Reapers....

Fuck you Bioware. And stop spoiling so much of your game. :(
Keep these reveals more or less to gameplay elements, locations or squad mates.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't know why anybody is surprised at this silly plot twist. BioWare stopped being subtle storytellers a long time ago, they gave TIM those eyes for a reason and it was immediately obvious this would happen. They've been taking the easy way out with their narratives for years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:
So apparently Hudson had this to say;

So the whole "Cerberus working for the Reapers" thing might be wrong. Hopefully.
That part of the paragraph definitely sounds like it came straight from BioWare.

Their guess as to the reason why Cerberus joined the Reapers is the part preceded by "probably".

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
At one point Shepard will have the choice to change allegiance to work for the Reapers. This is inevitable.

And/or the Reapers will be able to fuck with his implants and get him to do crazy shit.

Kyaw

Or can we join the Reapers and take over humanity and other races?
Might be possible with Bioware's writing...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ushojax said:
I don't know why anybody is surprised at this silly plot twist. BioWare stopped being subtle storytellers a long time ago, they gave TIM those eyes for a reason and it was immediately obvious this would happen. They've been taking the easy way out with their narratives for years.

I kept waiting for the bomb to drop and for the "betraying Shepard" twist to happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
industrian said:
At one point Shepard will have the choice to change allegiance to work for the Reapers. This is inevitable.

And/or the Reapers will be able to fuck with his implants and get him to do crazy shit.
Kyaw said:
Or can we join the Reapers and take over humanity and other races?
Might be possible with Bioware's writing...
Nah, we have to defeat the Reapers to clear the way for an MMO.

Casey Hudson said:
“A lot of people say that they want to see an MMO, I think that kind of makes sense for this universe. Part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving. I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”
We've already won over the analysts to boot.

Gamasutra said:
While Electronic Arts has invested millions into making Star Wars: The Old Republic an online powerhouse, Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey said that an MMO based on BioWare's Mass Effect could bring in even more money for the publisher.

"Looking forward, we believe BioWare could develop an MMO based on their highly successful Mass Effect franchise, which should have a considerably better (relative StarWars MMO) margin profile, given the dilutive nature of the LucasArts royalty," Hickey said in a recent investor note.

Kyaw

Bah, just get the SWTOR out and we will talk about ME MMO.

Also im guessing Cerberus' motivations are still about humanity's survival and safety within the inter-galactic space?

Nirolak said:
That part of the paragraph definitely sounds like it came straight from BioWare.

Their guess as to the reason why Cerberus joined the Reapers is the part preceded by "probably".
It doesn't really sound like it came from BioWare, though. They speculate on the reasons, a bit, saying "it seems like the pro-human organization fell for the same trick Saren did in ME1." If the "Cerberus is working for the Reapers"-bit turns out to be accurate, I guess that is the only (semi-)logical explanation: the Reapers promise to spare those who aid them, and TIM's stupid enough to believe them.

If this involves me convincing TIM to shoot himself in the head at the end, that would truly be a sight to behold.

Top Bottom