• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Nirolak said:
Nah, we have to defeat the Reapers to clear the way for an MMO.

Shepard kills the main Reapers and chases the remaining ones back into dark space, leaving behind a rebuilding galaxy where new adventures await those willing to pay a monthly subscription.

syoaran

Nirolak said:
I also imagine that not saving the Rachni queen means you don't get her as an ally in the final battle as well.

I think it was mentioned briefly in one of the first ME3 interviews that having her as an ally is one of those "careful what you wish for" scenarios. Makes me hopeful that even decisions you made out of the best of intentions could come crashing down on you.

I'm disappointed but not surprised by that story point.

ME2 really let me down after ME1 being one of my favourite games of all time. I really hope the third one has a return to form (storywise), but at this point I'm not making any bets.

syoaran, your spoiler tags are mucked.

Enosh

-Tali is a confirmed squadmate
and sold

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

syoaran

opticalmace said:
I'm disappointed but not surprised by that story point.

ME2 really let me down after ME1 being one of my favourite games of all time. I really hope the third one has a return to form (storywise), but at this point I'm not making any bets.

syoaran, your spoiler tags are mucked.

Just realised!!! Cheers

I think if they finally make a game that doesn't meld the last act into 1-2 zones when its meant to be 4-5 zones, it will be fine. What irked me a lot is that the last act of ME1 was a compression of two completely different levels with different themes.

Anubis

I read this article with a huge pinch of salt when I saw that the picture of ME3 Ashley was accompanied with the caption "New character, or Shepard variant?"

Goon Boon

Banned
Still really hoping that people that start on 3 automatically get the shithouse ending where they lose and reapers win, rewarding people who actually play the trilogy as a trilogy.

Monocle

What's this business about Wrex not being a full time team member? All but the final act of Mass Effect 1 built up Wrex as this super prominent supporting character. He had a poignant backstory that gave him a personal stake in the galactic intrigue that formed the backdrop for Shepard and co.'s adventures. Then in ME2 you don't even get him as a proper squadmate, even if you
didn't pop a cap in his scaly hide
back on Virmire. And now in ME3 he's still going to be stuck on the sidelines? Meh. Maybe he'll end up helping out Shepard in the battle against the Reapers with his Krogan army or whatever, but who cares? I want him as part of my crew on the Normandy so I can recreate my favorite teams from ME1.

I can't say I'm much happier about the news that Cerberus will be working with the Reapers. Barring some major twist, it strikes me as a waste of a side story that had a lot of potential. ME1 dropped all sorts of sinister hints about Cerberus, portraying the organization as a twisted phantom that operated from the shadows, killing some people here, torturing some people there, all for reasons unknown. Then ME2 smashed Cerberus' mystique into glinty little shards with The Illusive Man, who seemed nefarious enough until he turned into Uncle TIM, your prosperous celebrity sponsor, and sent you running thither and yon to bolster a war effort he's now set to undermine in ME3. Sounds like the plot of a video game.

Fortunately, the rest of the info is promising, especially the combat improvements and the confirmation that so much of the original cast is back and playable.

Zomba13

Anubis said:
I read this article with a huge pinch of salt when I saw that the picture of ME3 Ashley was accompanied with the caption "New character, or Shepard variant?"
XD

If Cerberus really are working with the reapers it better be for a good reason (like story wise) and not just a way to have them as enemies. An easy way to have them as enemies would be either (ME2 ending spoilers)
TIM is pissed you blew up the base and wants to hunt you for revenge or they don't need you any more now you've given them the base and they want to eliminate you so you don't mess up their plans

Glad Tali and Garrus are back (squad mates 4 life).
I really don't want that whole working with the reapers thing to be true. I honestly feel spoiled reading that unless it's explained right near the start. It sounds like what would be a twist, like
the collectors being Protheans

Monocle

You know, I'm kind of hoping for a real clit-punching ball-twisting mindstomp of an ending where the Reapers turn out to be benevolent guardians or something of the sort and goody-two-Shep ends up screwing over the entire galaxy. I find it difficult to imagine a more conventional conclusion that would be as satisfying as that, given how Bioware seems to have written themselves into a very boring corner.

Monocle said:
What's this business about Wrex not being a full time team member? All but the final act of Mass Effect 1 built up Wrex as this super prominent supporting character. He had a poignant backstory that gave him a personal stake in the galactic intrigue that formed the backdrop for Shepard and co.'s adventures. Then in ME2 you don't even get him as a proper squadmate, even if you
didn't pop a cap in his scaly hide
back on Virmire. And now in ME3 he's still going to be stuck on the sidelines? Meh. Maybe he'll end up helping out Shepard in the battle against the Reapers with his Krogan army or whatever, but who cares? I want him as part of my crew on the Normandy so I can recreate my favorite teams from ME1.

I can't say I'm much happier about the news that Cerberus will be working with the Reapers. Barring some major twist, it strikes me as a waste of a side story that had a lot of potential. ME1 dropped all sorts of sinister hints about Cerberus, portraying the organization as a twisted phantom that operated from the shadows, killing some people here, torturing some people there, all for reasons unknown. Then ME2 smashed Cerberus' mystique into glinty little shards with The Illusive Man, who seemed nefarious enough until he turned into Uncle TIM, your prosperous celebrity sponsor, and sent you running thither and yon to bolster a war effort he's now set to undermine in ME3. Sounds like the plot of a video game.

Fortunately, the rest of the info is promising, especially the combat improvements and the confirmation that so much of the original cast is back and playable.

I guess they are gonna pull a New Vegas and make people show up in the final battle depending if you helped them or not: Rachni, Wrex+Krogan, Mordin+Salarian etc,

Monocle

StevePharma said:
I guess they are gonna pull a New Vegas and make people show up in the final battle depending if you helped them or not: Rachni, Wrex+Krogan, Mordin+Salarian etc,
How depressingly predictable. It would be better if one of the factions you aided betrayed another over old grudges.

Mr_Zombie

Goon Boon said:
Still really hoping that people that start on 3 automatically get the shithouse ending where they lose and reapers win, rewarding people who actually play the trilogy as a trilogy.
That would be glorious, but I doubt they have balls to do that :/

MaddenNFL64

a Master Ninja said:
How are they going to explain this? Just blame everything on "indoctrination"? Have the Illusive Man steal the motivations of Saren?

My guess? That dark energy shit with the stars dying out, and why the Reapers do what they do for millions of years. I bet the Illusive man found out.

Well im in. Im not going to say anything shit about the story until I play it.
Tali is in as full member, so all its good for the moment.

BTW Ive seen one or two people saying they will probably take out nearly all the characters from the first game to put all new. If you read all the info it looks that is not what they are going to do, the no new romance in ME3 even implies that they are going to be very little amount of new squadmates, I say 3 max.

And yes, I hope those that played really badly ME1 and ME2 have a shitty ending, or get the shitty ending if you want as an option by importing a shitty save (nearly all characters dead...)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, no matter how the game turns out, I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's review.

So Miranda won't be in this huh?

Can't wait for all the emails from characters in ME1 and ME2 explaining why they are MIA when the galaxy is being destroyed... :(

Ashsturm

Did Bioware release the accumulated statistics for each characters survival? It must have an effect on who they are bringing back

Tali and Garrus confirmed? YES

I'm not really sure how ME3 will have a story like ME1. I'd like that explained a bit further.

Powers upgrading more than once should be really great, assuming the tree allows for many different approaches.

Typographenia said:
Tali and Garrus confirmed? YES

I'm not really sure how ME3 will have a story like ME1. I'd like that explained a bit further.

Powers upgrading more than once should be really great, assuming the tree allows for many different approaches.
I just assumed that meant there would be more plot development than in ME2 (c.f. ME1), which would be a welcome addition.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'll wait until it hits 20$, which will hopefully happen as quickly as 2, but I'm at least glad they've decided to have a story this time around.

If Walters were fired though, I'd buy it day 1 to celebrate.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Typographenia said:
It has to mean that it actually has a story. ME2 was basically a series of sidequests to meet and then know each character, then completely unrelated to them you had a single plot point: Go fight collectors. Nothing more, really, no development of anything. TIM wants you to be his bitch, the council doesn't believe you, the Reapers want to kill you, everyone else is just completely oblivious, living their lives. It's utterly static until you give the Reapers a reason to come personally.

Though, I didn't mind this because I love sidequests and a space scifi world is best suited to them.

While I can see it either being too complex or having that annoying blind-development-choices thing that BioWare seems to love, there is a possible benefit.

Classes that don't overtly kick ass are pointless in ME2 because you can just pick the squadmates who have what you want. I'm not an engineer? Hey you, send a bot at them! I'm not a biotic? Hey you, kill their shields! Try to be "different" yourself and suddenly your team is redundant.

Allies suck too much at real shooting to pick assault buddies, so they were basically for extending command abilities. Multiple upgrade choices implies more limitations, so your class might actually matter and making your team compliment each other well could be a bit trickier.

Patryn

Interesting to see that, barring the inclusion of Sanders and exclusion of Wrex, the confirmed squad at this point is basically your ME1 squad.

Between that and the whole story thing and Cerberus being evil again, it looks like Bioware is trying really hard to sweep ME2 under the carpet in terms of everything besides combat mechanics.

A Vanguard player can customise their devastating Charge move first to slam people harder, then do more damage, then to reduce the cooldown.

This is good, but they're going to need a fuckton more than that to have "richer RPG features".

Also confirms the shitty charge move returns.

Aegus

Confidence Man said:
This is good, but they're going to need a fuckton more than that to have "richer RPG features".

Charge is awesome.

Kinyou

-Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers
"If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organisation in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are wokring with the Reapers"
2s9bq5i.jpg

Jerk

Banned
Confidence Man said:

Learn to use charge sir!

mission takes you to the Salarian homeworld, the Quarian homeworld, the Asari homeworld, and the human homeworld

Hmm, sounds like "unite the clans" is the plot this time. Still that article (odd Cerberus / Reaper revelation aside) sounds pretty good to me. Combat looks to be improved and most of my favorite squadmates are coming back.

The "no new romances" surprises me a little bit. If only because I would assume that BioWare was bringing in at least half of a new team of characters.

Haha I read the first page and the reactions and I'm just giving up on Bioware, I'm not even angry anymore. This game is going to be so terrible.

Who cares about story or good writing when you can find out what happens when you cheat on your lover, or that Tali is a squadmate again! It also basically confirms that the main missions will be hopping from one species' homeworld to the next recruiting...the new bioware formula.

ME3 sounds pretty...okay. It's kinda sad to see everyone seems to hate this game before it's released. I mean ME2 was pretty great in everything but story, and ME3 seems to be correcting it. Who knows, I don't see why anyone shouldn't have a little faith. Anyways I would rofl if the reapers turned out to be protecting the galaxy. Once a civilization/civilizations get too big they begin to fight and destroy each other and others. The reapers are designed to stop that and act as a big reset button.

Sheppard

Alot of you guys are talking about TIM. I never played the iOS game and only read the pre-mass effect novels. Can someone fill me in as spoilery as possible?

Angry Fork

Was George Lucas hired to take a stab at the story or something? lol @ ME3 plot if that statement is real and isn't a red herring.

Mrbob

Bioware tries to make people think their choices matter from game to game but if you look at their history of attempting this hardly anything carries over. So I'm having a tough time believing any choices from previous ME games will make a huge difference in ME3.

I wish I didn't read the Cerberus spoiler for the berserker rage it gave me, but at the same time I'm glad I did. Can't wait to see how this is going to be explained in game. :/

I know someone referenced Mass Effect being an unplanned trilogy, however I thought Bioware planned on this being 3 games from the start?

Xapati

Sir Garbageman said:
So Miranda won't be in this huh?

Can't wait for all the emails from characters in ME1 and ME2 explaining why they are MIA when the galaxy is being destroyed... :(

I'd be amazed if Miranda doesn't come back. It's still a long time until release, they can't reveal everything.

As for the story, it hasn't really made sense since ME1. ME2 is an amazing game imo but the main plot is a complete clusterfuck. But I don't play Mass Effect for the main plot, I play so I can act like a jerk and punch people in the face.

Still no Miranda, wtf Bioware?

Anyway, the new gameplay elements sound awesome. I hate the idea of Cerberus working for the Reapers though - so lame. Hopefully that isn't the case, or at least it's explained in a somewhat compelling matter and not just "lol indoctrination". After DAII however, I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Typographenia said:
The article states something along the lines of "It's more of a journey with a beginning, middle and end like ME1, rather than the neverending barrage of sidequests ME2 offered."

Confidence Man said:
LeNDX.jpg

Also guys, it's pretty much a no-brainer Miranda will be in. She was one of the poster characters for ME2, after all, and I'm assuming the majority of MaleSheps decided to cheat on Ashley with her. So unless Strahovsky started charging a lot more, we'll definitely be seeing her again.

After playing ME2, should anyone really be giving a shit about the story? It's clear that anything worthwhile is being saved for the inevitable MMO, which I'm not interested in by any measure whatsoever.

f0rk

Ickman3400 said:
It also basically confirms that the main missions will be hopping from one species' homeworld to the next recruiting...the new bioware formula.

Yeah the general outline of the plot is painfully obvious.

Top Bottom