• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Any recommendations on good books to read from the Chaos perspective?

I just read a great short story that was chaos focused. I'll look it up later and let you know which one it was. It was really, really good. It stuck with me.

It was about how war bands are formed, and the exchange of power from warlord to warlord.

Any recommendations on good books to read from the Chaos perspective?

Storm of Iron was a fun read.

On a random note, I watched Dredd the other night, and now I really want an Adeptus Arbites game. That or an IG game that played like Valkaria Chronicles or GRAW.

Ether woudl be lovely.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look into those.

Storm of Iron was a fun read.

On a random note, I watched Dredd the other night, and now I really want an Adeptus Arbites game. That or an IG game that played like Valkaria Chronicles or GRAW.

Ether woudl be lovely.

I've spent so long wanting an 40k open-world RPG that I never stopped to consider how amazing this would be.

Enosh

The emperor on the other hand, genuinely works to uplift the human race, despite what some of he above posters would have you believe because they are confused by his dispassionate and pragmatic attitude. The emperor eliminated religion because it weakened the human race, and expressly forbade that he be worshipped as a god. Horus was so jealous of this that he made a martyr of the Emperor and turned him into the religious figure that neither he nor the Emperor wanted him to be.
well that's all fine and dandy in this world, but 40k is a universe where powerful god like entities are a 100% provable fact and they all want to eat your face, I don't think the "lalalala I'm ignoring you" approach works quite as well there
hell, if anything I'd say the believe in the Emperor is what kept humanity together for the last 10k years

Tacitus_

It all happens because Horus is shown a dystopian vision of the future where the Emperor is venerated as a god, and primarchs like Horus are forgotten or vilified. It is a vision of the current 40k universe. Having just been "abandoned" by the Emperor who had to return to Terra to work on the golden throne, he is led to believe that this is the future the Emperor is trying to create. He rebels to stop this, but it is his rebellion that makes it happen in the first place. Erebus of the Word Bearers did this IIRC which is why Erebus is the biggest dick in 30k.

The emperor on the other hand, genuinely works to uplift the human race, despite what some of he above posters would have you believe because they are confused by his dispassionate and pragmatic attitude. The emperor eliminated religion because it weakened the human race, and expressly forbade that he be worshipped as a god. Horus was so jealous with his suspicion that the Emperor will try to take credit from him, that he made a martyr of the Emperor and turned the Emperor into the religious figure that neither of them wanted.

Worked. Now he needs to feed on hundreds (or was it thousands) of low grade psykers each day just to keep his night lamp on.

well that's all fine and dandy in this world, but 40k is a universe where powerful god like entities are a 100% provable fact and they all want to eat your face, I don't think the "lalalala I'm ignoring you" approach works quite as well there
hell, if anything I'd say the believe in the Emperor is what kept humanity together for the last 10k years
Well first lets not confuse acknowledging the existence of "supernatural" entities with prostrating yourself in devotion to one.

The Imperium was practically utopian in the way that the Emperor was molding it. So much suffering and hate and ignorance comes from the Emperor being worshipped as he is. Maybe the Imperium is only held together by this superstition at this point, but it got that way because of the imperial cult, not in spite of it. Getting rid of the religious crap would eliminate a lot of problems and not really create any new ones. Imperial forces only THINK they get their blessings and power by worshipping him.

Worked. Now he needs to feed on hundreds (or was it thousands) of low grade psykers each day just to keep his night lamp on.
It's not him, it's the Golden Throne. The Golden Throne was a doorway into the webway that the Emperor was creating for mankind. Magnus wrecked it so the Emperor had to focus all his strength and will on holding it closed lest the forces of the warp spill out and engulf terra. All of the sacrificing came later. Like with many things concerning the Imperium, it's unclear whether these psyker sacrifices are the only option, or are even doing anything. The Emperor is completely cut off from the material world and has no way of directing these people.

Tacitus_

It's not him, it's the Golden Throne. The Golden Throne was a doorway into the webway that the Emperor was creating for mankind. Magnus wrecked it so the Emperor had to focus all his strength and will on holding it closed lest the forces of the warp spill out and engulf terra. All of the sacrificing came later. Like with many things concerning the Imperium, it's unclear whether these psyker sacrifices are the only option, or are even doing anything. The Emperor is completely cut off from the material world and has no way of directing these people.

The Astronomican, actually. The fancy night lamp of the Imperium that allows it to function requires up to hundred psykers to die, as it drains them of... something.

dan2026

I never understood how the Emeror can absorb hundreds of psykers a day without the Imperium running out of psykers.

Even though the Imperium is xboxhuge, surely their is a limited number of psykers.

The Astronomican, actually. The fancy night lamp of the Imperium that allows it to function requires up to hundred psykers to die, as it drains them of... something.

So is the Emperor actually behind the Astronomican, or is that more superstition?

I'm confused by exactly how much power he still wields while interred.

I never understood how the Emeror can absorb hundreds of psykers a day without the Imperium running out of psykers.

Even though the Imperium is xboxhuge, surely their is a limited number of psykers.

Thousands of psykers a day culled from billions of Imperium worlds seems like a drop in the bucket to me.

Tacitus_

The Imperium throws away millions of guardsmen each day. They've got no shortage of manpower.

So is the Emperor actually behind the Astronomican, or is that more superstition?

Well the wiki says this:
The Astronomican is powered by ten thousand psykers trained by the organisation; the omnipotent will of the Emperor constantly directs this energy across around fifty thousand light years of the galaxy. Although the Emperor does not provide the energy of the beacon, only he has the psychic power to handle such immense energy and direct it across the galaxy.

Some achieve a mystic state, gaining the status of Chosen. It is these Chosen who are eventually called to serve in the Chamber of the Astronomican. Here they fuel the Astronomican beacon with their psychic energies; as their powers are drained the Chosen slowly fade and die. Up to one hundred Psykers die each day powering the Astronomnican

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

He created the astro-lighthousethingy. According to some Empy is the most powerful psyker in the galaxy. Before Mangus dah Red sent a psychic message which broke all the barriers between the material world and chaos, Empy had enough psychic ability to fight along side his Primarchs in the Great Crusade, run the new Imperium he had created, and power the Astromonicomicon (whatever the hell it's called) from where ever he was. Now, he needs all his psyker ability to hold back chaos.

It's ironic because had the Emperor created a stable webway portal he was going to have Mangus power it by sitting on the golden throne. Not sure if I can see which is better: daemon prince or door man?

Meteorain

The problem I see with the whole Emperor not being a God (God-God, not a Warp-God) is that there are saints and shit running around the Imperium. Hell even in the first 3 books
Euphrati Keeler somehow managed to channel some of the Emperor's power by invoking it
which sort of even leaves the reader in a state of not knowing which is truly correct.

Yes the Emperor the pre-eminent psyker in the 40k Universe. I don't know why the Eldar insult his powers, not even Eldrad Ulthran compares to him. He single handedly:
- Provides the Astronomicon for the entire Imperium
- Holds Chaos at bay
- Prevents the souls of men from being consumed by Chaos
- Astropaths exist solely because of him and his ability to impart powers to them
- Powers living saints
- Guides other psykers through his tarot
- Gets more powerful the more humans die as their souls become part of his warp presence.

Leunam

With the Legion of the Damned you at least have some explanation as to how they operate. But then you have St. Celestine and her twin brother The Sanguinor...

Tacitus_

The problem I see with the whole Emperor not being a God (God-God, not a Warp-God) is that there are saints and shit running around the Imperium. Hell even in the first 3 books
Euphrati Keeler somehow managed to channel some of the Emperor's power by invoking it
which sort of even leaves the reader in a state of not knowing which is truly correct.

Could've been a latent psyker.

diamount

Banned
So, what are the most popular theories for when the Tau were protected from an exterminates. Something about a warp storm shielding the planet and like 20k years later, they advance so goddamn fast.

Tacitus_

Apparently he powers
saints

Pfft, propaganda of the Ecclesiarchy.

So, what are the most popular theories for when the Tau were protected from an exterminates. Something about a warp storm shielding the planet and like 20k years later, they advance so goddamn fast.

Discovered on 789.M35. They had mastered stone tools by then. After a warpstorm that lasted for 6k years, they had railguns and mecha. Warp can interfere with normal time flow so it may have taken longer inside.

Azih

Wasn't it the Emprahs rigid atheism that actually left the Primarchs vulnerable to the whisperings of Chaos as they had idea that they existed? Horus and Fulgrim at least were corrupted by Chaotic rituals/artifacts that they completely failed to recognize anyway.

Tacitus_

Wasn't it the Emprahs rigid atheism that actually left the Primarchs vulnerable to the whisperings of Chaos as they had idea that they existed? Horus and Fulgrim at least were corrupted by Chaotic rituals/artifacts that they completely failed to recognize anyway.

Yeah and Lorgar of the Word Bearers got pissy after the Emprah shamed him publicly for worshiping him and after one chaos worshiper showed him the existence of the chaos gods he decided to worship them instead since they liked being revered.

Meteorain

They were aware of the Warp and how it could do queer things to you, but not really about powerful beings that lived in it. Plus the inherent flaws in the Primarchs are what led to their downfall. Look at Angron, that dumb fuck has 0 brains, he would definitely convert for more strength. Lorgar NEEDS something to worship so that's him gone. Mortarion was already a borderline Nurgleite. Magnus loved his sorcery. Perturabo was always a moody little bitch.

Azih

They were aware of the Warp and how it could do queer things to you, but not really about powerful beings that lived in it. Plus the inherent flaws in the Primarchs are what led to their downfall. Look at Angron, that dumb fuck has 0 brains, he would definitely convert for more strength. Lorgar NEEDS something to worship so that's him gone. Mortarion was already a borderline Nurgleite. Magnus loved his sorcery. Perturabo was always a moody little bitch.

Horus and Fulgrim though were perfectly fine until the whispers started working on 'em. It isn't a smart thing to be an atheist in a world in which god like beings exist.

Enosh

Well first lets not confuse acknowledging the existence of "supernatural" entities with prostrating yourself in devotion to one.

The Imperium was practically utopian in the way that the Emperor was molding it. So much suffering and hate and ignorance comes from the Emperor being worshipped as he is. Maybe the Imperium is only held together by this superstition at this point, but it got that way because of the imperial cult, not in spite of it. Getting rid of the religious crap would eliminate a lot of problems and not really create any new ones. Imperial forces only THINK they get their blessings and power by worshipping him.
well not having hate or ignorance is all fine and nice but this is a universe where one unchecked psyker can fuck up a planet of billions
killing women because people mistakenly belie they were a witch in our universe=bad
killing a woman because she actually is a damn witch and can spawn a million demons that will kill/rape/plague/mind fuck everyone = eeh lets go with morally grey, besides they usually aren't immediately killed but rather monitored and kept in check

iirc wasn't there some story about when they first started appearing (might just read it on some wiki so take this with a grain of salt, but doesn't sound implausible), some worlds were intolerant and had them killed while others were progressive and tolerant and left them alone and the latter worlds got fucked by Chaos while the former were okay

again this isn't a universe where the emperors "lets all go atheist and worship nothing, there are no god don't think about them" is rather misguided to say the least, because actual gods exist

like some post before said, the primarch got fucked because they didn't really have an idea about wtf they are dealing with, iirc Fulgrim though the demon whispering is just his own thoughts, if the Emperor took 5 mins to explain Chaos and why that shit is bad for everyone they maybe wouldn't get corrupted
or they would get corrupted sooner so meh

and the last part is also debatable, the Emperor is a being with magical powers that lived for some 45k, so declaring everything attributed to hit to just be superstition is a rather extreme position

Meteorain

Horus and Fulgrim though were perfectly fine until the whispers started working on 'em.

Well that poor bastard Fulgrim didn't even want to be a bad guy, he's got the whole
trapped in his own body can't do anything
syndrome.

well not having hate or ignorance is all fine and nice but this is a universe where one unchecked psyker can fuck up a planet of billions
killing women because people mistakenly belie they were a witch in our universe=bad
killing a woman because she actually is a damn witch and can spawn a million demons that will kill/rape/plague/mind fuck everyone = eeh lets go with morally grey, besides they usually aren't immediately killed but rather monitored and kept in check

iirc wasn't there some story about when they first started appearing (might just read it on some wiki so take this with a grain of salt, but doesn't sound implausible), some worlds were intolerant and had them killed while others were progressive and tolerant and left them alone and the latter worlds got fucked by Chaos while the former were okay

again this isn't a universe where the emperors "lets all go atheist and worship nothing, there are no god don't think about them" is rather misguided to say the least, because actual gods exist
None of this caution requires a religion to work. Humanity can still achieve its potential through the Emperor's secularism while acknowledging that pyskers and warp entities are dangerous, just as water is wet. One does not rely on the other.

and the last part is also debatable, the Emperor is a being with magical powers that lived for some 45k, so declaring everything attributed to hit to just be superstition is a rather extreme position
I said they only think they are helped by him as a reward for their religious devotion to him. I didn't say that they aren't helped by him. Obviously I would have to be right or the Emperor has completely contradictory views on this after getting in the chair, despite his original views being completely vindicated with the passage of time,

Karakand

Void Stalker, Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver are a trilogy about a Night Lords warband. Not your typical "hurr chaos chaos blood main kill", but a bunch of renegades trying to survive a garbage galaxy.

Well there IS Uzas. ;)

Blood Reaver is probably my favorite 40K thing ever, it even opens with a hilarious grimdark scene that you can only laugh at because it's so ridiculous. Truly the complete 40K experience.

Then it was followed up with Void Stalker's
hey let's have the Eldar hit the reset button JUST AS PLANNED
. -_-

Soul Hunter had some cool dynamics, and I liked it a lot before I read Blood Reaver, but now I'm kinda eh on it. Dat ending fight with
Malcharion
and the
dreadnought version
of the
Blood Angel captain
he bested during the Battle of Terra, though. Sogood.

It all happens because Horus is shown a dystopian vision of the future where the Emperor is venerated as a god, and primarchs like Horus are forgotten or vilified. It is a vision of the current 40k universe. Having just been "abandoned" by the Emperor who had to return to Terra to work on the golden throne, he is led to believe that this is the future the Emperor is trying to create. He rebels to stop this, but it is his rebellion that makes it happen in the first place. Erebus of the Word Bearers did this IIRC which is why Erebus is the biggest dick in 30k.

Hmmm I think we view the event differently. You see Horus as instrumental in it, but it seemed inevitable to me with or without his fall given the material conditions that shaped Angron, Curze, Lorgar, El'Jonson (THAT'S A JOKE VILIX) and Magnus' lives.

e: On a tangential note, Rogal Dorn remarks in The Crimson Fist that the Imperium is in some ways fortunate that Horus is the leader of the rebellion because he will waste the initiative gained at Istvaan V by doing his patented "strike at the head" and charge straight to Terra which the Imperium has the possibility of emerging victorious from whereas someone like Curze would have simply bled the Imperium dry by fighting a multifront, non-committed war, though given how cocked up the Thramas Crusade ended up being he might have been a little too confident in that particular brother.

Tacitus_

Hmmm I think we view the event differently. You see Horus as instrumental in it, but it seemed inevitable to me with or without his fall given the material conditions that shaped Angron, Curze, Lorgar, Magnus' lives.

Magnus only fell to chaos because the Emprah is a dick who sent the Space Wolves to bitchslap him because he defied his order to not contact him psychically. While his message wrecked Emprahs pet project in the Webway, he was trying to warn him of the Heresy. Then the Space Wolves come knocking and he needs to turn to Chaos in order to save his legion.

*note: haven't read Prospero Burns nor Thousand Sons yet.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, apparently, Nurgle weddings are a thing. In Deviantart anyway.

l2nrZyV.jpg

Imagine the wedding night.

Karakand

Magnus only fell to chaos because the Emprah is a dick who sent the Space Wolves to bitchslap him because he defied his order to not contact him psychically. While his message wrecked Emprahs pet project in the Webway, he was trying to warn him of the Heresy. Then the Space Wolves come knocking and he needs to turn to Chaos in order to save his legion.

Being a powerful psyker raised on a planet settled by psyker refugees who had a permissive attitude towards the regulation of psykers as a result of their background sort of damns you to be flippant about the Warp, imo.

Showaddy

I thought Nurgle was supposed to look more grotesque then that.

Something more grotesque than a Great Unclean One at least.

lol that's just some random follower, this is what Nurgle is supposed to look like.

Also Nurgle's actually a pretty decent guy (by the standards of Chaos Gods); he saved Isha, the Goddess of Healing & Fertility, from Slaanesh and sort of took her as his 'partner'.

Tacitus_

Being a powerful psyker raised on a planet settled by psyker refugees who had a permissive attitude towards the regulation of psykers as a result of their background sort of damns you to be flippant about the Warp, imo.

He might've fallen later, but before the Space Wolves came to fuck his shit up, he was decidedly loyal.

Karakand

He might've fallen later, but before the Space Wolves came to fuck his shit up, he was decidedly loyal.

Well, not loyal enough to abide the judgment of the Council of Nikea. ;)

I was making a deterministic argument, not one based on the lore as it allegedly happened. I apologize if there was any confusion created on my part. As it allegedly happened, the Burning of Prospero was the event that pushed him to Chaos.

lol that's just some random follower, this is what Nurgle is supposed to look like.

Also Nurgle's actually a pretty decent guy (by the standards of Chaos Gods); he saved Isha, the Goddess of Healing & Fertility, from Slaanesh and sort of took her as his 'partner'.

Also not Nurgle tho. Those are Great Unclean Ones, greater daemons of Nurgle.

Edit: And Nurgle keeps Isha in a cage and uses her to test his diseases and poxes. Not a whole lot "nice" about that.

Showaddy

Also not Nurgle tho. Those are Great Unclean Ones, greater daemons of Nurgle.

Edit: And Nurgle keeps Isha in a cage and uses her to test his diseases and poxes. Not a whole lot "nice" about that.

Nice from his point of view I suppose, only one thing he can give her as the Lord of Disease :p

Vhalyar

Well not quite. The Emperor wanted Magnus brought back for punishement. Horus instead convinces Leman to murder the hell out of the Thousand Sons.

So chalk this one up to Horus, though the Emperor is a big retard when it comes to dealing with the Primarchs.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Wasn't Russ only suppose to bring Magnus back to the emperor but the reason why the space wolves attacked Magnus was because Horus gave them false orders to?

Tacitus_

Well not quite. The Emperor wanted Magnus brought back for punishement. Horus instead convinces Leman to murder the hell out of the Thousand Sons.

So chalk this one up to Horus, though the Emperor is a big retard when it comes to dealing with the Primarchs.

Horus did that? Oh deary me, I thought it was just Russ acting up.

Vhalyar

Horus did that? Oh deary me, I thought it was just Russ acting up.

He was specifically worried about those two legions more than the others, since Magnus would have countered his own use of the warp and Leman is Leman and that's bad news to anyone not named Angron.

Top Bottom