• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ranger X

Looks like Minecraft 1.10 pre-release is out. It would appear Mojang is turning back towards more frequent, smaller updates like in the good ol' days. I welcome the change.

They probably noticed the game slowing down like selling only 50 637 copies per day instead of 50 843 and that triggered the alarm really.

So I guess the current nether won't be affected and new areas that are explored will have the magma blocks in it? Same for fossils in the overworld? I'm not sure how it works when they add blocks or change the world generation rules.

Fuchsdh

So I guess the current nether won't be affected and new areas that are explored will have the magma blocks in it? Same for fossils in the overworld? I'm not sure how it works when they add blocks or change the world generation rules.

Yeah, we'll have to venture out a bit further to get that stuff. But both are craftable, so it's not a major issue to obtain in Survival even on our server.

Fuchsdh

More gold in mesa biomes!

Kinda neat but there really aren't many uses for gold soooo, meh? I guess now getting ore for beacon pyramids will be a lot easier without an iron farm.

Good for rails, and golden apples. Wish they made golden armor more differentiated (in general some sort of regraded scaling or higher end-game for armor would be nice; as is it's probably easier to just get iron armor than bother with leather, for instance.)

It appears our gold farm in the nether is broken, sadly.

After checking out some of the mesa around -4500, 7200 that hasn't been generated prior to 1.10, I've decided to start a custom biome project. I want to dig all the way down to bedrock, loosely following the river and then build the walls back up with clay to create something similar to the Grand Canyon. It'll be a massive project but will look amazing if I can pull it off.

Depending on how much gold I find I might be replacing some of my beacon pyramids with gold blocks so I can return some blocks back to the iron farm. I'm guessing I've taken more than anyone, haha.

HeeHo

Not that many of you play on console, but on the PS4 version, I make an effort to always play in Survival so that the leaderboards are active and achievements unlock.

But they are so effed. I have a mob farm and I have probably killed about 2-3k each of the typical mobs (zombies, creepers, skeletons..), but my leaderboards say I have only killed like a hundred each and that I have killed 65,000 slimes... Wtf...

I also have a gold farm built and have killed plenty of zombie pigmen in the regular world but my leaderboards are saying like 1 or 2 kills. Weird. I don't think this will ever get fixed though.

Sarcasm

Not that many of you play on console, but on the PS4 version, I make an effort to always play in Survival so that the leaderboards are active and achievements unlock.

But they are so effed. I have a mob farm and I have probably killed about 2-3k each of the typical mobs (zombies, creepers, skeletons..), but my leaderboards say I have only killed like a hundred each and that I have killed 65,000 slimes... Wtf...

I also have a gold farm built and have killed plenty of zombie pigmen in the regular world but my leaderboards are saying like 1 or 2 kills. Weird. I don't think this will ever get fixed though.

Are you killing things by hand or a contraption? Like a squeezing by block manipulation?

1xVAgnp.png

UdRL2St.png

Just some shots using BSL Standard v52

belushy

Banned
I've been wanting to get back into this. Wonder if I've been raided lolol Still stuck in the old spawn from like 1.8 I think

HeeHo

Are you killing things by hand or a contraption? Like a squeezing by block manipulation?

I didn't think anyone would respond. I am getting them down to a heart (by dropping them through a mob farm) and killing them by sword.

I used to really like tracking my stats on the leaderboard and this has taken the steam out of it for sure. They should just do a global reset. It says I have mined 65,000 obsidian too. I mean, I made a gold farm but that didn't even take a 1000 obsidian.

Grinchy

Banned
I always come back to this game and am blown away by how awesome the game looks with shaders:

BlackandwhiteOptimisticJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

GloriousAmusingAsiaticwildass-size_restricted.gif

I haven't even really started finding out which resource pack I like best with it. All of them end up looking awesome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I always come back to this game and am blown away by how awesome the game looks with shaders

Yeah I’m odd, I still just play it non-modded and with stock textures. Now and then I’ll replace the glass with more clear versions…

Speaking of coming back to the game, I decided to abandon my three year old world and start a brand new one for 1.10, man I’d forgotten how cool this game is when starting out with nothing. Built myself a rough pyramid base at spawn and now I’m carving out a mountain base at a far off extreme hills area next to large lakes. Need to find lots of stuff yet like horses, saddles, a mesa biome, etc. Gonna set off in search of a snow biome soon to seek out some polar bears!

Ranger X

I always come back to this game and am blown away by how awesome the game looks with shaders:

BlackandwhiteOptimisticJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

GloriousAmusingAsiaticwildass-size_restricted.gif

I haven't even really started finding out which resource pack I like best with it. All of them end up looking awesome.

Personally I never liked any modifications or skins for the game. It always mess the artstyle or look odd. I dunno. It leaves my body temperature at 37.
:)

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I’m odd, I still just play it non-modded and with stock textures. Now and then I’ll replace the glass with more clear versions…

Personally I never liked any modifications or skins for the game. It always mess the artstyle or look odd. I dunno. It leaves my body temperature at 37.
:)

lol I'm definitely one of the people who played "vanilla only" for a long time. I didn't like mods and only tolerated one or two resource packs. But now, when I turn the shaders off, the game just looks horrifically basic. It's tough to go from lily pads riding waves in the water to everything looking so bland.

Welp. someone finally did it. Even though many thought it was impossible, some crazy geniuses figured it out.

A no-mods, no-command-blocks, redstone-only Automatic Tunnel Bore machine

Set it off and a series of sticky pistons, slime blocks, and redstone blocks inchworm their way down the tunnel, grab the stone, and bring it back to the control room. There, separate slime block machines collect the stone from the drill head, put it all into a conveyor, and push it in to a room containing a Wither. Using snowballs, the Wither is goaded into destroying the blocks the conveyor pushes, dropping them in to hoppers to be sent along to chests. And the best part is, anytime the drill runs into a malfunction and stops working, they have a beacon that changes colors, so even when they're far away above ground, they can be alerted that the drill is broken. It's insane.

Fuchsdh

Welp. someone finally did it. Even though many thought it was impossible, some crazy geniuses figured it out.

Set it off and a series of sticky pistons, slime blocks, and redstone blocks inchworm their way down the tunnel, grab the stone, and bring it back to the control room. There, separate slime block machines collect the stone from the drill head, put it all into a conveyor, and push it in to a room containing a Wither. Using snowballs, the Wither is goaded into destroying the blocks the conveyor pushes, dropping them in to hoppers to be sent along to chests. And the best part is, anytime the drill runs into a malfunction and stops working, they have a beacon that changes colors, so even when they're far away above ground, they can be alerted that the drill is broken. It's insane.
That is some serious wizardry. Too bad it wouldn't be worth setting up for our tunnel needs :)

Ranger X

LORD, finally the machine that will save me from digging in Minecraft!

Najaf

Playing on console. Quick question.

How was it supposed to know how to build the nether portal? I had heard about the nether and ultimately had to look it up online but had played blind up to that point. Just wondered where I was supposed to find that info in game. I can't believe one would be expected to randomly put blocks into that shape and light it.

Ranger X

How was it supposed to know how to build the nether portal? I had heard about the nether and ultimately had to look it up online but had played blind up to that point. Just wondered where I was supposed to find that info in game. I can't believe one would be expected to randomly put blocks into that shape and light it.

yeah its sort a secret. (well, there's no secret on the internet but you know what I mean)

zer0das

Banned

They're generated as part of the world, so eventually you'd stumble upon them. Although worlds are smaller in the console game, sooo I suppose you might not.

-Minsc-

Hey everyone,

Four years and five months, it has been that long since I hopped on the NeoCRAFT server and was blown away. I wander around old spawn and see this blonde haired fellow named CharmingCharlie building a massive rail system. The scale of things was beyond anything I imagined in my single player world. Dome City and Sky City, they were sights to behold. Wandering out and about in the world and stumbling upon some groups castle, it was quite an experience.

I came into NeoCRAFT shortly before I went in to have surgery on my jaw, this was at a time in my life when I was most certainly less sure of myself. Minecraft, like many games before, gave me a virtual online world to escape into. Over time I became the guy who keeps our world here running. I wanted to do it and the people who didn't handed over the keys.

These past couple years I've stepped more and more into the background. Now it's time for me to begin the process of passing the keys to somebody else as my heart is no longer in it. Since there has been no one like me asking to take on the job I open the floor to the community to see who's interested in taking on the role of admin. I have the server paid up for the next three months so I'll continue keeping watch on the place until then. After that I leave the place in your hands.

That guy who sometimes chats from the console,

Minsc

Mengy

Man Minsc I’d love to do it, but honestly I just don’t have the time right now. I’ve barely had any time to play Minecraft at all this year even, there’s so much on the server that I’ve not even seen yet.

I wish I could just retire early and have lots of free time, LOL.

Fuchsdh

I mean, I'm probably the one playing on it most often so I'm fine taking on the financial cost next go 'round.

And real men make the time, Mengy. Especially when there are happy maps to show you where to go :p

Mengy

And real men make the time, Mengy. Especially when there are happy maps to show you where to go :p

Yeah, if I was a real man I’d break up with my girlfriend and enjoy my new abundance of free time and money!!!! Sometimes I wonder if my life has gotten overly complicated….

-Minsc-

Man Minsc I’d love to do it, but honestly I just don’t have the time right now. I’ve barely had any time to play Minecraft at all this year even, there’s so much on the server that I’ve not even seen yet.

I wish I could just retire early and have lots of free time, LOL.

Minecraft doesn't put food on the table or a roof over our heads (for me at least). If I really wanted to keep going I'd surely find a way.

Yeah, if I was a real man I’d break up with my girlfriend and enjoy my new abundance of free time and money!!!! Sometimes I wonder if my life has gotten overly complicated….

The grass is always greener.

Nice to see I know how to bring people out of the woodwork.

Brandwin

My son (age 5) has been talking about Minecraft lately. Not sure if it's friends/cousins who have brought it up, commercials or toys he sees at stores, but how complex would this be for a five year old who doesn't play many games other than on a tablet? I was thinking of grabbing it, but I wasn't sure how much reading etc is involved. Thanks!

EDIT: I figured I could get it on PS4 or maybe a tablet. Not sure.

Fuchsdh

My son (age 5) has been talking about Minecraft lately. Not sure if it's friends/cousins who have brought it up, commercials or toys he sees at stores, but how complex would this be for a five year old who doesn't play many games other than on a tablet? I was thinking of grabbing it, but I wasn't sure how much reading etc is involved. Thanks!

EDIT: I figured I could get it on PS4 or maybe a tablet. Not sure.

Shouldn't be too complex. The language is simple and most instructions are graphic-driven (crafting recipes and the like.)

Top Bottom