• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft crosses 300 million copies sold as it prepares to celebrate its 15th anniversary

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

• The last official metric we had for Minecraft's sales was 238 million copies sold, back in April 2021.
  • During Minecraft Live 2023, Mojang Studios finally confirmed a new number — Minecraft recently crossed a staggering 300 million unique copies sold.
  • The update comes as Minecraft prepares to celebrate its 15-year anniversary in 2024.
  • Mojang has teased Minecraft's 15th Anniversary Celebration, with more surprises and reveals to come next year.

As we mark our 15th year, we at Minecraft want to express our gratitude to our passionate Minecraft community. It is our community’s creativity and dedication that has helped shape this world into something extraordinary," said Kayleen Walters, head of franchise development at Mojang Studios. "As we kick off this milestone year, we eagerly look forward to honoring and celebrating your contributions, stories and adventures. Thank you for 15 amazing years of crafting, building and exploring together. Stay tuned for more updates and surprises in 2024!"

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I’ve bought it 7 times :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Same boat. Never made it past the opening tutorial.
200w.gif

Mowcno

When the 238 million was announced 133 million of that was from the mobile version. I wonder if pocket edition still makes up the majority of all sales for this 300 million.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm not a fan of the survival mode, but I love creative mode. If you have the time and patience, you can really create whatever you like.

I've created a full size cathedral, huge ancient Greek labyrinths, and massive sprawling medieval cities complete with giant castles, city walls, churches etc etc. The only limit in creative mode is your own imagination.

near

Gold Member
It's insane that I still don't know what this game actually is and refuse to care. However, 300 million is ridiculously impressive.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I bought it like twice, once on Switch the other on PC, the Java version is the best with the most mods, more stable than bedrock. A fun game when i'm in the mood to go spelunking in caves. The game is like Skyrim, better with mods. Unlike Skyrim though the base game is actually good.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Got it for free because someone here made a thread years ago after finding out if you downloaded the demo, the game was free. Sound lad.

nemiroff

Gold Member
All those billions and Mojang still can't make a solid spinoff (they also obviously failed at finding a solid partner to help them).

Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft Legends.., like a bland lager.

Frustrated Will Ferrell GIF

Disclaimer: Minecraft is awesome!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
All those billions and Mojang still can't make a solid spinoff (they also obviously failed at finding a solid partner to help them).

if it were up to me they'd be working on a sequel by now, or at least a major overhaul update. Minecraft's in need of a lot of new weapons. and enemy types. and bosses. and armors. and materials. and biomes. and.... EVERYTHING. It needs an overhaul on EVERYTHING. the game needs more content, it looks so similar to how it was 10 years ago. Meanwhile Terraria is just evolving and getting more content and systems every single update.

Last edited:

Hey, you can take that back. I love dungeons. Legends alright, had fun playing with my daughter tho

Rockondevil

Deserved. I still love the game and started back in Alpha. Though these days I only really play a mod pack once a year because none of my friends play anymore.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've bought it maybe 6 or 7 times. Couple of Java editions, couple of mobile, couple of standard PC, switch version mainly for my kids. Also have it through gamepass and then the kids have education edition on their school iPads.

Denton

I remember checking the old stats page decade ago being impressed about the sales

when a game appeals to kids and enters zeitgeist, there is no stopping it

Notch sold it for pennies

Last edited:

Holammer

I bought it only once and it was just before Notch increased the price and I put it a couple of 100's of hours innit.
I understand there's an ongoing account migration going on because they're closing down Mojang accounts and moving to Microsoft accounts. Meh, if I fancy playing it? I'll just get an old java version and play that.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Hey, you can take that back. I love dungeons. Legends alright, had fun playing with my daughter tho
Yeah I get it, had fun playing coop with my son too. But hello, 300 million copies? Billions of dollars in profit? And all they can muster is mediocrity..? Barely a 7/10..? Nah, contextually not acceptable.

Top Bottom