• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

sikkinixx

They lost a $60 sale from me. In September when I'm broke as shit from not working for two months, and GTA is about to start droppin' I sure as fuck won't be paying full price for a Ubisoft hey-it'll-drop-to-$30-by-Christmas game.

Kariodude

Banned
Ubisoft used to be under my list of good video game companies. Sure, they pumped out Assassin's Creed games with reckless disregard, but most of their stuff was good quality and they didn't seem to be intentionally screwing over their fans. I'm still going to buy it, I'm just disappointed in the company.

Since it's so close to release, is it possible there are even copies of the game sitting in warehouses or in the back of game stores already? It'd be pretty funny to see 5 or 10 copies pop up on ebay.

I dunno, man.. Origins really struggled to find an audience, and now that people are excited about a sequel to a wonderful original game that is itself a resurgence of gameplay from a bygone era... we want less people to play it? Why?

Plus, isn't the WiiU underperforming as a console? Same thing happened in the early days of the PS3 - I don't think anybody should be surprised that companies want to make money off investments. I suppose the outrage is coming out of the previously stated exclusivity - but were there a lot of people that bought their WiiU for Legends?

Have you read any of the posts? Almost everyone is upset not because it's being launched on other consoles, but because they delay a finished game 2 weeks before release just so they can port it to other consoles. Most people already had their pre-orders in and were expecting to play this game in 2 weeks. It's bush league of Ubisoft to handle the situation this way.

This is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy if Wii U owners boycott the game and at the same time PS360 owners buy it because they want to play it.

I've had the game preordered since it went up and I'm not cancelling. As shitty as this move is it serves no one to boycott the game, especially if it's as good as Origins. What do you think Ubi will learn from that aside from not making any more Wii U games?

Linkhero1

Effective at what though? Sending a message that this isn't ok? Because if that's the case, boycotting the game will be far more effective at getting the studio shut down/ which will hurt the developers/ which is what you're upset about.

If you're boycotting it because it's delayed then that's a different case altogether. It will be a little more effective though it's just as likely the message you send is "I don't want these types of games so why are you bothering to make them".

The ONLY effective way to communicate your message is to communicate your message. Believe it or not, Twitter is very effective at this.
What you're saying makes plenty of sense but you can't blame people for not buying it. The reason is already pretty clear to Ubisoft. If they've disregarded the UPlay channel and all the messages sent to them then it's management's fault at which point it becomes Ubisofts fault for ignoring our messages. Me not buying the game results because of timing. I'm planning on choosing to buy GTA V and Windwaker HD so I won't have room for it at the time. At which point I'll end up buying it at a bargain price.

I'm sure Ubisoft has already gotten the message through every possible social networking forum. At this point it's up to them to decide what to do.

As far as strategic decisions go, is it really more strategic to pit your game against a big release? If there is some competition between one and the other, you're not maximizing your returns.

It sounds kinda stupid rather than clever.

I give these publishers more credit than armchair analysts on a messageboard. (I don't particularly like the direction they're taking the industry regarding content delivery, but that's another thread entirely.)

Fact is the majority of game sales happen in the 4th quarter, and really start picking up around the end of the 3rd. Positioning your game into that window, all things held equal, is generally a good thing to do. If that's when people are spending their money, get your game out there. Can some games craft successes earlier in the year? Certainly.

The other fact is that, in general and as discussed all over this forum today and in the past, late ports generally do not fare as well as you think they would. Whether that is inefficient marketing, perhaps the hint of being yesterday's news, competition from the previous version being a lower price when the other ports hit, you name it. Whatever it is, those ports' sales are hampered.

Oh, you're also dealing with a small Wii U userbase and a platform not generating a lot of buzz at the moment.

Ubisoft did the math. They undoubtedly ran the models. They're betting that the 3rd/4th quarter and the releasing simultaneously to considerably larger userbases will in fact be more than enough to offset any competition they feel from games such as GTA, Madden, etc. They might be wrong, of course, and we'll never really know.

This is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy if Wii U owners boycott the game and at the same time PS360 owners buy it because they want to play it.

I've had the game preordered since it went up and I'm not cancelling. As shitty as this move is it serves no one to boycott the game, especially if it's as good as Origins. What do you thing Ubi will learn from that aside from not making any more Wii U games?

Right, and if the internet didn't exist they could have done this with very few people knowing. I haven't ordered yet but I still plan to get it. I haven't fully decided if I was jumping in at the full price point or waiting to see if it would decrease though, but I think the game's worth it at the full price point.

I'll probably buy it on PC, so I'm being treated worse than almost everybody. Yet you don't see me using expletives towards a company.

F*** Ubisoft is very immature.

Tizoc

As hype I am for the PS3 ver., I'll only get the digital ver. if its going for $30 at launch.
I personally don't like buying PS3 games if their total size is like 5 GBs or less.

What you're saying makes plenty of sense but you can't blame people for not buying it. The reason is already pretty clear to Ubisoft. If they've disregarded the UPlay channel and all the messages sent to them then it's management's fault at which point it becomes Ubisofts fault for ignoring our messages. Me not buying the game results because of timing. I'm planning on choosing to buy GTA V and Windwaker HD so I won't have room for it at the time. At which point I'll end up buying it at a bargain price.

I'm sure Ubisoft has already gotten the message through every possible social networking forum. At this point it's up to them to decide what to do.
I don't blame people. Putting it up against GTA is a ballsy move and a lot of people in that cross market are only going to be able to afford one. That's a perfectly valid reason to be pissed and not buy it.

Any other reason is perfectly valid as well since it's your money. I just want people to realize what they're trying to achieve may not be lining up with their actions.

Alcibiades

As disappointing and cruel as this is, I wonder if Ubisoft isn't thinking after all this reaction "ingrateful snots! we give 'em a mature launch exclusive how quickly they forget"

For Wii U owners this is a real punch in the gut, but to be fair to Ubisoft they have given the device pretty good support considering how poorly EA has treated the system.

Katzii

Surely the better way to go about this would be to not boycott Rayman Legends, but rather to buy it on WiiU if that's something you have (and possibly boycott all of their other games)?

I will still be getting this, and it will be on the WiiU, but my purchase of it could well be delayed.

...If they still do a near-simultaneous worldwide release.

zoukka

Not boycotting such an important game in many ways.

Still not buying anything else from ubisoft though. If you want to kick them in the balls, skip their annual Asscreed or something. Not the only 2D fullhd eyegasm game.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Hope everyone calling for a boycott of the game and Ubisoft also did the same thing when Nintendo pulled a similar (arguably worse) stunt with Twilight Princess.

Yeah I'm still bitter about that bullshit delay.

Hope everyone calling for a boycott of the game and Ubisoft also did the same thing when Nintendo pulled a similar (arguably worse) stunt with Twilight Princess.

I tried this argument, they aren't having it.

Tunic

Sounds like Ubisoft is extremely cheap and doesn't want to do marketing campaigns for separate releases. What a damn shame! I was very much looking forward to the Wii U release.

Foffy

Banned
On one hand, I can understand the corporate politics and the staff being just as pissed as we are. On the other, I'm not a mat for companies to walk over with. I will make my voice heard with my money.

I will not be purchasing this game unless I can get a new copy at $20. I was going to buy a Wii U later this month just for this game, and you are out of your mind to assume I will spit out $60 when you're holding a version of a game hostage for six-to-seven months. Corporate politics does not negate my choices as a consumer, and as far as I'm concerned, this matter cannot be excused as a full price purchase anymore when Ubisoft decides it's finally time to release the game.

Total Ubisoft bullshit. I'm boycotting this game.
I'm not super pissed and I won't be doing some kind of active boycott of the game, but I doubt I'll actually buy it in September with all the other big games coming out. I would've bought it this month just to have something new for the Wii U. Ubisoft done fucked up here but I'm not going to bitch and moan.

OryoN

Not sure I totally buy this buy this cop-out, but it doesn't matter anyway. Like I said in another thread...

Whether people boycott the game or not makes no difference.

The sales of the game will be screwed by a more natural process. This fall, Rayman Legends will be a side-show attraction - at best - even on Wii U, and especially on PS360.

There's nothing we can do to change that process. Let those "higher ups" roll back the clock on this one. I certainly won't be spending money on Rayman if there's something else I want more. That's the way it works for any console owner.

Sorry, but there's no bailing out of this one - for either side. There's enough 'got-f*cked' to go aorund. Let the same higher ups fix what they broke.

Ubisoft used to be under my list of good video game companies. Sure, they pumped out Assassin's Creed games with reckless disregard, but most of their stuff was good quality and they didn't seem to be intentionally screwing over their fans. I'm still going to buy it, I'm just disappointed in the company.

Since it's so close to release, is it possible there are even copies of the game sitting in warehouses or in the back of game stores already? It'd be pretty funny to see 5 or 10 copies pop up on ebay.

They just opened their game up to infinitely more fans. How is that screwing them over?

Maybe some Rayman fans wanted to play it in 2 weeks?

So delaying the game in order to market the title to an even larger fanbase equates to screwing them over? Sorry Nintendo fans, you gotta work a lot harder to convince me of this conspiracy. I'm leaning towards business decision instead of willful screwjob.

Hmm could be perhaps fans wanted to play the game in about 2 weeks, not in 7 months? Seems like something to feel screwed over to me.

To me "screwed over" would mean they cancelled the Wii U version and moved the whole thing to a rival console. As it is all they did was delay it. It will still be the great game you envisioned it to be when it releases in September. And on top of that Ubisoft will probably be able to market it more and hopefully make a lot more money off of it. In the meantime, you can play something else. Delays are nothing new.

So delaying the game in order to market the title to an even larger fanbase equates to screwing them over? Sorry Nintendo fans, you gotta work a lot harder to convince me of this conspiracy. I'm leaning towards business decision instead of willful screwjob.

Is it your position that a business decision can never screw anyone over? If not, then why do you consider them mutually exclusive here?

Weren't people pretty pissed about that? The even worse part is no widescreen for no apparent reason.

?oe?oe

Rayman fans don't exist on Nintendo consoles? Please...

Is it your position that a business decision can never screw anyone over? If not, then why do you consider them mutually exclusive here?

No, it's my position that delaying a game isn't screwing you. Is it your position that a delay = screwing? Ubisoft is a business. Businesses make decisions in the hope of improving their business. Whether ultimately they'll be right or not, their decision today was obviously made to improve the sales outlook of their property. To view what happened today as some nefarious plot to screw Wii U owners is just downright stupid.

If you don't mind, quote where I implied that.

Wow.

That's the kind of stuff that sucks the most, right there.

Are we really at the "Wont someone please think about the children" stage?

Huff

Banned

Pretty sure origins sold more on the wii than the other consoles.

Doesn't mean that Ubi doesn't think that the ps3/360/wiiu launch would outsell an early wiiu launch + delayed ps360 launch

Pretty sure origins sold more on the wii than the other consoles.

Doesn't mean that Ubi doesn't think that the ps3/360/wiiu launch would outsell an early wiiu launch + delayed ps360 launch

Didn't they say it sold the most worldwide on PS3, then 360, and then Wii?

Xater

So Ubisoft has not only been shitty tithe people wanting to play it this month but to the devs as well? Amazing!

farnham

Banned
Sorry for the dev but i hope he understands that a lot oof nintendofans that wanted to get it in february will not get it in september. Either because they are pissed or because they are busy playin other things (insert wiiu has no games)

Anyways i will buy it day one.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I give these publishers more credit than armchair analysts on a messageboard.
Nice non discussion with 'ya.
(I don't particularly like the direction they're taking the industry regarding content delivery, but that's another thread entirely.)
No, that must be brilliant as well. You're getting confused.

Fact is the majority of game sales happen in the 4th quarter, and really start picking up around the end of the 3rd. Positioning your game into that window, all things held equal, is generally a good thing to do.

That depends. The more games coming out means that the games that appear then have a harder time gaining a foothold and Rayman's a tenuous enough IP as it is.

It was from some interview with one of their guys last year. I can't remember where. It was the one where they said the game was actually profitable for them. I remember thinking it was weird that the game sold the most on PS3. I wouldn't doubt it either, especially given the sales of the digital versions on both 360 and PS3. 9.99 at one point.

Top Bottom