• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

antonz

You'd also presumably not be using one if Nintendo designed it, so it's sort of a catch-22.

VW-OhSnap.gif

Pikma

Banned
I can't fucking believe this is happening, I just... can't... I mean, WTF Ubisoft, I can't believe I blindly trusted these shitheads until today.... that's one of the shittiest moves I've seen in all my gaming life, I just don't have enough words for this, I just... no I can't believe it.

Nintendo rebranded Dinosaur Planet to Star Fox, and then moved it to GameCube. Moved Eternal Darkness as well. As a Nintendo 64 owner, I could have been displeased with that. (As it turns out, I wasn't. I didn't get interested in either game until they were released.) Nintendo delayed and then moved that Zelda Whatever from GameCube to Wii and slapped on some motion controls. Super Paper Mario got moved. GameCube owners could have been agitated. Nintendo moves games between release periods and even systems. Apparently with frequency. That's Dave's point from earlier, I don't see how it is disputable. Let's tar and feather them? No, of course not. They're just business moves.

I had another point, I think I forgot it.

Oh, right. How many posts have there been over the years decrying late ports? "No wonder it didn't sell." How many posts were there about Wii U games in the launch window? If we were to, I don't know, match those posts against posts about Rayman and how a simultaneous launch is now somehow stupid, would we see some overlap, I wonder? Just musing. I have better things to do than go digging through post histories.

I mean, let's be real here. I don't believe for one second any of this "outrage" has anything to do with those poor overworked and under appreciated developers. Are you kidding? You don't know those people from Adam. The game moved. That's life.

Chindogg

Is this Dave guy serious or a joke character?

Its Brera's other account. He liked talking to himself and making random absurd statements, usually straight hating on Nintendo.

Since he's banned now I'm assuming he's moved full time to his other account.

Edit: Reading more of his posts. The Pikmin 3 hating confirms its Brera's other account.

nbthedude

I can't fucking believe this is happening, I just... can't... I mean, WTF Ubisoft, I can't believe I blindly trusted these shitheads until today.... that's one of the shittiest moves I've seen in all my gaming life, I just don't have enough words for this, I just... no I can't believe it.

I hope post like these are parodies.

Dude, a game was delayed because of strategic marketing decisons. That is all that happened.

The Development Talent that is used to make the Rayman games would be better served going elsewhere. This is Ubisofts top team being relegated to crap status with how they are being treated.
They deserve to be working under a better company.
Maybe they should be the one's to decide that. They can leave the company at any time.

My point is this: If you want to boycott the game, fine. But before you do, you should think about what message you're trying to send, whether or not your actions communicate that message, and what the consequences of that are. In this case, it's probably a more effective strategy to email or message Ubisoft and explain why you're angry which I'm sure some people are doing.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is there a way to boycott the publisher but not the developer?

*sigh*

Lynd7

Nintendo rebranded Dinosaur Planet to Star Fox, and then moved it to GameCube. Moved Eternal Darkness as well. As a Nintendo 64 owner, I could have been displeased with that. (As it turns out, I wasn't. I didn't get interested in either game until they were released.) Nintendo delayed and then moved that Zelda Whatever from GameCube to Wii and slapped on some motion controls. Super Paper Mario got moved. GameCube owners could have been agitated. Nintendo moves games between release periods and even systems. Apparently with frequency. That's Dave's point from earlier, I don't see how it is disputable. Let's tar and feather them? No, of course not. They're just business moves.

Oh, right. How many posts have there been over the years decrying late ports? "No wonder it didn't sell." How many posts were there about Wii U games in the launch window? If we were to, I don't know, match those posts against posts about Rayman and how a simultaneous launch is now somehow stupid, would we see some overlap, I wonder? Just musing. I have better things to do than go digging through post histories.

I mean, let's be real here. I don't believe for one second any of this "outrage" has anything to do with those poor overworked and under appreciated developers. Are you kidding? You don't know those people from Adam. The game moved. That's life.

Difference is this game is done and is just going to be sitting there until the ports catch up..

Is there a way to boycott the publisher but not the developer?

*sigh*

Buy the game used and send the money you saved directly to the lead developer's house. That individual, being saintly and such, will disperse the funds to the team. It's probably a bigger cut than they would get normally, anyway.

Difference is this game is done and is just going to be sitting there until the ports catch up..

Yeah, and?

Its Brera's other account. He liked talking to himself and making random absurd statements, usually straight hating on Nintendo.

Edit: Reading more of his posts. The Pikmin 3 hating confirms its Brera's other account.

Two people can't share a mutual love of Brad Mad Ox and a dislike of current Nintendo policies?

nbthedude

Why on earth does that matter? Movies, books, albums, etc. all have marketing strategic release dates. It would be stupid to just dump shit out as soon as it was done for every product.

Honestly given the size of the current WiiU userbase, you should be glad they aren't sending the game to die and want to try to effectively market and release all 3 versions to give it a real shot.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Buy the game used and send the money you saved directly to the lead developer's house. That individual, being saintly and such, will disperse the funds to the team. It's probably a bigger cut than they would get normally, anyway.

Yeah, and?
That scenario doesn't help the devs at their jobs.

Anyways, one thing I have never entirely understood is why late releases/ports can't sell as well as the original version? Is it partly because games media won't cover a game that is "teh old"?

I'm part of that overlap, but I justify it because there is nothing out there for the Wii U. I find that makes it a completely different situation and an opportunity for Ubisoft to establish a "system seller". Legends certainly appears to use the tablet more skillfully than any other Wii U title; certainly with more depth than what Nintendo has shown.

It's a PR opportunity - release it as scheduled on the Wii U - happy Wii U owners, happy Nintendo, maybe new system adopters for Nintendo too.. then the game gets released later on the other systems - those people who do not adopt are happy, and this won't hurt sales, especially with the level of polish and praise the title will receive.

It's an "evergreen" opportunity. This doesn't happen for companies not named Nintendo, Valve, or Blizzard. Legends would have basically a year to be adopted nearly uncontested.

Movies are delayed all the time and finished months before they're released. To suggest it isn't just as common with video games is silly. This is just a time where Ubisoft have done a poor job hiding it due to the change in plans. If they had decided this in November they could just give the old "tightening the graphics on level 3" excuse and you'd all just buy it.

based on rayman origins, no one was really going to buy this game anyway

I disagree. There's so much positive reception to Origins [and Jungle Run, which is the best non-word phone game I've played] even after it seemed to have bad sales, Ubisoft said it was also profitable despite the fast price cuts. They know how to budget.

Legends is more likely to sell because of the Origins community and critical reaction, and because it has a tangible goal compared to Origins.

Legends has dragons - people understand this better than snoring so loud that you wake up the dead, they kidnap a bunch of faries, and have to collect their teeth and lumas.. who exist in the game for whatever reason.

Legends restructures. You rescue the blue things, you can care or not care about the lumas similar to Mario coins, and you have an idea of what you're trying to achieve [it evidently involves dragons].

Linkhero1

Maybe they should be the one's to decide that. They can leave the company at any time.

My point is this: If you want to boycott the game, fine. But before you do, you should think about what message you're trying to send, whether or not your actions communicate that message, and what the consequences of that are. In this case, it's probably a more effective strategy to email or message Ubisoft and explain why you're angry which I'm sure some people are doing.
I'm not angry but upset. I've tried emailing companies before but those go no where and I doubt they'll change their mind. The most effective way is with my wallet at this point.

BillyBats

Banned

Are you really THIS upset? Man. I just can't believe people are this busted up over a Rayman game. Maybe Mario, Zelda, but Rayman?

Anyways, one thing I have never entirely understood is why late releases/ports can't sell as well as the original version? Is it partly because games media won't cover a game that is "teh old"?

On a serious note, I don't particularly understand it either, but I will not argue that it seems to prove true. Just as I don't particularly understand why game sales are generally so ridiculously front-loaded, and yet I also know it to be true. Seems that if the game was good 6 months ago on platform A, it would still be good for owners on platform B. Oh well. I might not understand it, but I can accept the reality of it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Read past words and get the point. All he's really saying is this is a business move that is not altogether uncommon. Some publishers do it under the cover of darkness, others in the shining light. They all just want to put the games in best position to maximize revenue.

So they're holding off to... Crush GTA5?

With Rayman Legends.

Sounds like a Ralph vs Goliath situation more than canny financial maneuvering.

Oh look Im famous lol xD Got a bunch of yeahs for that. Maybe should do something else. A play with words with no swearwords.

Would they mod UBIShaft?

AzaK

This is why crunches are bullshit. These poor fuckers had to work their arses off only to be told it's delayed 6 months.

Are you really THIS upset? Man. I just can't believe people are this busted up over a Rayman game. Maybe Mario, Zelda, but Rayman?

If I had to pick a game I bought the Wii U for it was Legends. Mario sure didn't excite me, and Nintendoland is really only good for having a group of people playing together. My primary purchase was to have a second Wii in the house, though. I'm personally not very upset, admittedly disappointed, but I can understand those who are. I'm very interested as to the PR and decision process around this though.

Gahiggidy

Oh Miiverse...

gzyde.jpg

Took a good 10 minutes to get modded, too.

:lol - I think it'd be hilarious if for some reason Nintendo's moderating efforts in the UPlay section curiously fell far, far behind schedule.

Pikma

Banned
I hope post like these are parodies.

Dude, a game was delayed because of strategic marketing decisons. That is all that happened.

Well, I had a very bad day and that's just how I feel right now, sorry for being passionate about my hobby in an enthusiast forum, won't happen again, I promise.

Also, Strategic marketing decision sure is a nice name for lying. And I'm not even talking about the exclusivity thing, that didn't bother me at all, what bothers me is how they purposedly held back the game just so they could make more money, "companies only care about money, news at eleven", I know that and to me that doesn't justify shit, I would gladly give my money to a company that remotely cares about their costumers but that's just me I guess. How hard for them would have been to think"...But we told our costumers that the game was almost finished and we have people working overtime for months now, let's respect that and put out the game, ports can come out when they're ready"?.

It's not like Ubisoft were short of money.

And yeah, I'm a Rayman fan.

I don't have a Sylus, but if he were really that poor, I'd probably get him to consider other careers. Also I generally don't like owning people.

So they're holding off to... Crush GTA5?

With Rayman Legends.

Sounds like a Ralph vs Goliath situation more than canny financial maneuvering.

More like they're holding off because they are not afraid of GTA and have no reason to be. GTA has its audience. It's certainly a big audience. But it's nowhere near a majority audience. Rayman also has its audience. It's a small audience. There's some overlap for sure. How much? Would some of that overlap only buy one of the games? Yeah, probably. Would those 1-game buyers likely split for GTA more often than Rayman? Again, yeah, probably. And then never return to buy Rayman later? Again, yeah, for some... probably. Enough to really carve into potential sales? On that one, I rather doubt.

I feel for the dev having to take that news, but I'm insta-buying this game assuming it's as drm free, other than Steam, and delicious as Origins.

Just started playing Origins for the first time and it is indeed glorious.

lenovox1

It's not my job to pity the developers, grow some balls and stand up to the higher ups within the publisher. Don't cry to us, I'm not their friend They want my money? Well, they ain't getting it now. Simple as that.

I hope you've already been torn to shreds, but these people aren't in a union. They have no power. They can't make the kind of demands that you're suggesting they make.

I'm not angry but upset. I've tried emailing companies before but those go no where and I doubt they'll change their mind. The most effective way is with my wallet at this point.
Effective at what though? Sending a message that this isn't ok? Because if that's the case, boycotting the game will be far more effective at getting the studio shut down/ which will hurt the developers/ which is what you're upset about.

If you're boycotting it because it's delayed then that's a different case altogether. It will be a little more effective though it's just as likely the message you send is "I don't want these types of games so why are you bothering to make them".

The ONLY effective way to communicate your message is to communicate your message. Believe it or not, Twitter is very effective at this.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You've got to really feel bad for the developers. It's obvious they really wanted people to get their hands on the game in the upcoming weeks.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

This is a rather wild accusation.

Lynd7

Thing is they wouldn't likely do this to wait for a Wii U port.. No way they would hold over a major release on the 360/PS3 etc.

JABEE

I wonder what the costs related to delaying a game 6 months?

Is this because Ubisoft couldn't reasonably justify two separate ad-buys for this game? If they launched the WiiU version now, it would have meant having to come up with the money to support two launches.

I wonder if Ubisoft tried to get Nintendo to help out in co-marketing and Nintendo didn't bite. After they missed the first launch window, there was no way to financially justify launching the skus at two separate times. I have to imagine Ubisoft would put out a finished game if it made sense financially. An upgraded PS3/360 sku launching later isn't important enough in terms of moving systems for Sony or Microsoft to kick up a fuss about.

nbthedude

I feel for the dev having to take that news, but I'm insta-buying this game assuming it's as drm free, other than Steam, and delicious as Origins.

Just started playing Origins for the first time and it is indeed glorious.

Wait. PC release confirmed? If so, day one from me too.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
More like they're holding off because they are not afraid of GTA and have no reason to be. GTA has its audience. It's certainly a big audience. But it's nowhere near a majority audience. Rayman also has its audience. It's a small audience. There's some overlap for sure. How much? Would some of that overlap only buy one of the games? Yeah, probably. Would those 1-game buyers likely split for GTA more often than Rayman? Again, yeah, probably. And then never return to buy Rayman later? Again, yeah, for some... probably. Enough to really carve into potential sales? On that one, I rather doubt.

As far as strategic decisions go, is it really more strategic to pit your game against a big release? If there is some competition between one and the other, you're not maximizing your returns.

It sounds kinda stupid rather than clever.

Vandiger

Great I get to pick up a cool game on 360/PS3, whats not to love? My way of just signing off before moving on to the HD beasts.

Top Bottom