• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the next evolution for controllers?(talking ergonomics)

The 360 pad was pretty junk IMO.

The left analog stick is in the wrong place for starters, most menus start from the top and you work your way down. With the stick in that position, the distance between analog stick and Dpad down was too far.

The shoulder bumpers are poorly located and not easy to intentionally hit.

The dpad was poorly implemented.

The home button was too large.

The face button's were too hard.

The love people have for this controller escapes me. This and the GameCube controller are severely over rated. My opinion obviously.

what-if-sony-stuck-with-the-ps3s-boomerang-controller-20081201033209544-000.jpg

seriously though, I wanna try this.

Do you wear it around your waist?

GLAMr

1_16632.jpg

-Split
-wired or wireless options
-different sizes/shapes to suit player
-mechanical options
-30 years of BC, no Horizon on forwards compatibility
-options for any price point

KB + mouse is king :D

Dualshock 4, Xbone controller and Steam Controller are all comfy AF. Switch pro controller looks great too. If they're causing discomfort, maybe you're playing for too long? Sitting for hours on end is bad for you.

Split controls. No other way to go. How can you ever go back to sitting hunched over or like a T-Rex after being able to sit in any position you want which full controls? Split controllers is the only way enjoyable play games for me now!

HenryEen

Banned
1_16632.jpg

-Split
-wired or wireless options
-different sizes/shapes to suit player
-mechanical options
-30 years of BC, no Horizon on forwards compatibility
-options for any price point

KB + mouse is king :D

Dualshock 4, Xbone controller and Steam Controller are all comfy AF. Switch pro controller looks great too. If they're causing discomfort, maybe you're playing for too long? Sitting for hours on end is bad for you.

Am I weird for preferring to use controllers for turn based RPG, 3rd person action game, platformers ? I don't think I can play Dark Souls using M+K....

How can they have perfected the controller when the dpad is literally fucking trash? In 2017 there's quite a few 2D games and that controller flat out blows for almost all of them.

Xbone Elite shits on the 360 pad in every way possible.

I'm more talking about layout and ergonomics. The Xbox One controller is basically a 360 controller with a better d-pad (proving my point).

GLAMr

Am I weird for preferring to use controllers for turn based RPG, 3rd person action game, platformers ? I don't think I can play Dark Souls using M+K....
No, you're weird for entirely different reasons :D

Some things definitely are better on a controller. Particularly for something like a fighter or a Souls-like, I prefer a solid controller to grip rather than a split setup like Joycons or WiiMote/Nunchuck. I feel having a single, rigid input device to grip helps me feel focused and grounded.

Top Bottom