• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Fox was always kind of Half baked. I find it funny that with what Rare did with SFA the Star Fox universe now draws huge parallels to Star Wars. I would love to see a Star Fox game that draws from all of those elements to make a huge space opera type game.

I've said it before, but give me Star Fox: Rogue Squadron Edition and I'll die a happy man.

Happier if I ever get to play Pikmin 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Kirby Air Ride 2.

Also sorry if this is off-topic, but does anyone know if 3DS is theoretically capable of UE3? I doubt it would be much of an indication of whether WIi U is capable of UE4, but I just wonder...

Discomurf

Morning gents...

We have a little bit of actual Wii U news:

Ubisoft has just announced Avengers: Battle for the Earth for Wii U and Kinect. According to the details revealed in the press release, the game is currently in development at Ubisoft Quebec Studio.

source

Interesting that its also been announced for Kinect. Could the game utilize the controller camera?

Morning gents...

Ubisoft has just announced Avengers: Battle for the Earth for Wii U and Kinect. According to the details revealed in the press release, the game is currently in development at Ubisoft Quebec Studio.

source

Interesting that its also been announced for Kinect. Could the game utilize the controller camera?
Wii U pad as Captain America's shield!

That's about as much imagination as I am capable of.

Morning gents...

source

In before NDAs were a lie.

watershed

Banned
Morning gents...

source

Not that I care at all about this game but its nice to have another officially confirmed title. But why wii u and kinect?

Nibel

I expected Avengers being developed by SEGA like the other Marvel titles - maybe Ubisoft is going to develop a game the movie deserves

Penguin

Morning gents...

source

This.. is a fighting game.. with motion?

Discomurf

Cant find the actual release but here's a little bit more:

“Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth” will focus on such characters as Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk and Thor battling an invasion of the Skrull alien race.

The motion-control action game will feature more than 20 characters from the Marvel universe and would be based on the long-running comic series, not the recent film. No release date was announced.

darthdago

We've had interviews from developers/publishers who have danced around the subject. So many people have just assumed its Nintendo and worst case scenario.

mmhhh, but iirc it was the talk in thread 1 or 2 that ppl also guessed Nintendo is in panic mode (so end up in best case scenario)
I still think they are in kind of a Nintendo-panic-mode...

Nibel

It's being developed by UbiSoft Quebec - they brought us Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations! Oh, and The Black Eyed Peace: The Experience

darthdago

I expected Avengers being developed by SEGA like the other Marvel titles - maybe Ubisoft is going to develop a game the movie deserves

hahahaha, that one was a good one...(only think about their movie/games so far and am not impressed so much)

but who knows maybe they will surprise me (because they have some good developers)

Discomurf

This Avengers announcement got me thinking...

The controller standing up in its stand/hub could act as a Kinect type camera. When used in conjunction with the Wii remote this could provide some pretty advanced motion control possibilities.

watershed

Banned

The controller standing up in its stand/hub could act as a Kinect type camera. When used in conjunction with the Wii remote this could provide some pretty advanced motion control possibilities.
I'd love for something like this to be true. I want more advanced motion controls next gen.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously though, why the hell is this Avengers game not under NDA?
Have Ubisoft goofed (again)?

That sounds awesome. It's the kind of creative thinking I'd like to see from Wii U developers, but I'm not holding my breath.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
One (sort-of) bright side to the length of guek's ban is that he'll return right as the Wii U launch hype is getting crazy. Should add to the happy vibes here. We should throw a nice welcome-back party for him. :)

watershed

Banned
I just saw the wii u golf patent. Thats the kind of advanced motion controls I mentioned earlier but I wonder if it actually makes a difference for gameplay and the accuracy of the controls? I hope so.

What is your definition of 'only slightly more power'? To me, if Wii U is even 2-3 times 360 on the bullshit scale, it's slightly more powerful, because of diminishing returns. It's isn't meant to be a disparaging comment. I'd be happy with that boost. But it still wouldn't put it in the same league as medium-to-high end PCs already on the market, nor do I think it is realistic to expect Sony and Microsoft to bring out new machines in that range. That's all.

Now people who are writing off the Wii U merely on the basis of the Wii and how it lacked horsepower compared to other consoles... meh.

I am personally expecting WiiU to have a GPU that is around 1TFlop. I don't know where that puts the WiiU in terms of bullshit multiplier, but I consider it more that slightly powerful than current gen.

How that turns out when we think of diminishing returns might not be that impressive though to the casual user if the WiiU can't handle DX11 features, but that extra boost should be able to render all current gen without any of the sacrifices made to frame rate and screen tearing.

When people say only slightly more powerful than xbox360, it more often than not comes across as meaning no visual boost to rendering capabilities. Which I just don't understand.

But this is all speculation and it all comes down to what kind of GPU wiiU has. We don't know much but the main point is people are just expecting little improve, which seems to be guided by a bias than known facts.

And i don't expect ms and Sony next gen systems to be super powerful.

Discomurf

but does not open...??

hasn't launched yet, but the url went out with the press release.

more info:

"The idea that we're making a motion-control version of `The Avengers' is a unique proposition if you compare that to superhero games of the past," said Tony Key, Ubisoft's vice president of sales and marketing. "This is the perfect type of game for that because these characters are very action oriented. They're always fighting and throwing things."

Day one Upad in TV confirmed.

On the homebrew and or LAN scene, do you think developers would add a feature that would allow WiiU to display multiple screens for multiplayer games?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The 3 retail games announced for U since last year's E3 have been Ubi, right? ACIII, Rayman, & this?
Rayman wasn't announced for Wii U, and Assassin's Creed was sort-of announced last year. So this is Ubisoft's only new Wii U announcement since E3, but it was quickly retracted.

The other retail announcement since then was Project Cars. Don't know how they're getting away with that one.

Rayman wasn't announced for Wii U, and Assassin's Creed was sort-of announced last year. So this is Ubisoft's only new Wii U announcement since E3, but it was quickly retracted.

The other retail announcement since then was Project Cars. Don't know how they're getting away with that one.

Good point on AC. By annouced I meant to include "leaked" :p
Is CARS retail? Thought it was download-only for some reason...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't the rumored GPU that WiiU dev kits were using are 1TFlop?
Rumours were that it was a customised GPU based on the RV700 series. That places it anywhere between 300 GFLOPs and a teraflop.
For every secret UbiSoft leaks out BG&E2 gets delayed by another year.

I'm wondering if an NDA for Wii U DD games has been lifted, especially with the recent Gaijin Games tease.

Good point on AC. By annouced I meant to include "leaked" :p
Is CARS retail? Thought it was download-only for some reason...
I'd say so. It's going to be a very content-rich game and could easily sell well at full price.

BurntPork

Banned
You really need to stop treating this as a fact.

We have heard nothing official about its power. Only rumors.
To be fair, it's pretty much impossible that the GPU isn't more modern than current consoles. That's pretty much common sense. There's no logical reason for 2005 tech to be used. No, not even cost.

Discomurf

has this been posted?

trash if old

large.jpg

source:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120115595.pdf

HeySeuss

Interesting.. FTA:

Why the disparity?

Probably because 1-the system will probably be released in November, and 2-Nintendo will probably stay with the way they only release a few downloadable titles a week like they do now. Also, it could be a clue that their EShop won't be ready at launch like the 3DS.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
maybe Wii U will come out in December.
Nintendo launching before year's end but missing Black Friday? Yeah, not going to happen.

It is very encouraging to see an indie developer that could easily port their PC platformer to something like Xbox Live targeting Wii U above any other consoles. Maybe Nintendo really is turning around its poor policies regarding small developers with Wii U. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom