• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

pr0cs

JB1981 said:
Are all the books good or are some better than others. Which have you read that are good? I'm kind of interested myself.
All of them are good and really fill in the holes of the characters and stories.
Aspho Fields is probably the best of the bunch (and the first book IIRC) so you could try that one and if you like it buy the others.
I am really glad I read Coalition's End before playing Gears 3, the story in gears3 made a lot more sense.

JB1981

BruiserBear said:
I just wanted to say that ICE-T's character in this game was so dumb it stuck out to me as an ugly flaw on this really nice campaign.

You've got this amazing setting in this torn up city, with the dust frozen bodies of the citizens frozen in time. So creepy, so much atmosphere. I'm roaming through there with a growing anticipation of who this mysterious character might be that I'm about to meet. We go up the elevator, we're led into his "office", and it turns out to be this loud mouthed ghetto gangster. He takes my buddy hostage, sends us on an errand, and we return, only to have him cuss us out some more, and then give us the middle finger as he rides off on his ski lift.

Honestly, that entire bit played out like Epic allowed someone to write some fan fic for the game, and they included it. Cheesy characters are a part of the Gears universe, and I'm cool with that, but this character served no other purpose than to give ICE-T some voice work, and make a few people think it's cool that EPIC got ICE-T in their game. Dumb.

Other than that, it was easily the best Gears campaign to me. Wonderful conclusion to the trilogy. But no, I did not even once feel like I might cry. :p

Wow you absolutely nailed why I hated the character. Spot on.

Rimfya

Banned
Why shouldn't you be upset about on disc DLC? They intentionally held back content that they finished creating. I'm wondering how you would act if everything you bought was only 90% complete.

It's like Epic sold you a four bedroom house, gave you keys to two rooms and told you to pay for the others in due time. Also they offered a wide variety of horrible, horrible wall colours to paint with -- at extra cost.

Korosenai

Rimfya said:
Why shouldn't you be upset about on disc DLC? They intentionally held back content that they finished creating. I'm wondering how you would act if everything you bought was only 90% complete.

It's like Epic sold you a four bedroom house, gave you keys to two rooms and told you to pay for the others in due time. Also they offered a wide variety of horrible, horrible wall colours to paint with -- at extra cost.
Its like buying a dvd, and having to pay for the last ten minutes.

Aske

JB1981 said:
Are all the books good or are some better than others. Which have you read that are good? I'm kind of interested myself.

I've only read Aspho Fields and just started Jacinto's Remnant. Given the style of writing and the way Traviss treats the characters I can't imagine any of the books will be poor; but as pr0cs said, Aspho Fields seems to be regarded as the best of them.

Regarding the DLC thing...we need to get over this. No, it's not bad that DLC is included on the disc, because I'd rather unlock it than waste space on my hard drive; but yes, it is disgusting if and when content that would have been included on the disc last gen is deliberately held back to be sold as DLC. Since we have no way of knowing if a given piece of content would have been produced at all if it couldn't be sold as DLC, the best thing to do is accept the reality of the business and decide whether or not to support a game or publisher's method of content delivery on a case-by-case basis. Some people will feel cheated out of features, others will be glad they have the option to buy more content. Neither side of this debate is wrong.

pr0cs

Rimfya said:
You're honestly suggesting that Gears 3 is only 90% complete?
There is a lot of content you get when you buy the game.
They put the content on the disc to save me from having to waste time downloading it. It's my job to decide if I want to pay extra for that content or not.

Lets say they waited a few weeks then put it online as DLC and you'd be happier? Sorry but that's stupid and a waste of time. You have no idea when they finish content so all you do know is what is of value to you or not and if you want to buy it or not.

This is probably the first Gears game that I will not replay. Loved the quality of the visuals, but the overall aesthetic of the game was way less atmospheric than the first 2, the story left many issues unresolved, and the gameplay in the second half of the game was an utter letdown. Running around mindlessly throwing switches reminded me of the "get keycard, open door" gameplay that I had hoped we left behind in the last decade.

Aske

elguerosinfe said:
This is probably the first Gears game that I will not replay. Loved the quality of the visuals, but the overall aesthetic of the game was way less atmospheric than the first 2, the story left many issues unresolved, and the gameplay in the second half of the game was an utter letdown. Running around mindlessly throwing switches reminded me of the "get keycard, open door" gameplay that I had hoped we left behind in the last decade.

I don't give a damn what I'm doing when I'm moving from point A to point B in Gears, as long as I'm fighting huge numbers of Theron guards. The game had a few lulls (mostly when I had to fight the Lambent), but it there were some incredible battles throughout; certainly better than anything in Gears 2. Securing the station at the beginning of Act 5 was up there with the best encounters in Gears 1. The same goes for all of the last few chapters after you shut down the Maelstrom. I actually think the game gets progressively better as you work through the campaign; so I certainly don't prefer the first half to the second.

Replaying Gears 1 right now, and yep, it's still my favourite of the three games. Almost every fight is unique and memorable, especially on Insane. The whole campaign is a testament to magnificent level design. Finally found that last set of COG tags too. This is the six or seventh time I've played it, so...

20111002-q7t4pppxwutpgc6jk51ff7c5px.jpg

Aske said:
Replaying Gears 1 right now, and yep, it's still my favourite of the three games. Almost every fight is unique and memorable, especially on Insane. The whole campaign is a testament to magnificent level design. Finally found that last set of COG tags too. This is the six or seventh time I've played it, so...
Agreed on this. The first Gears was all about smaller, more focused encounters. There was more danger and less room to slip up. Solo on insane was fucking magnificent. Gears 2 and 3 widened the scope so much more that they're really tailored for the big cinematic battles, story and co-op.

They're all good in their own way, but Gears 1 holds the crown for me.

Rimfya

Banned
pr0cs said:
You're honestly suggesting that Gears 3 is only 90% complete?
There is a lot of content you get when you buy the game.
They put the content on the disc to save me from having to waste time downloading it. It's my job to decide if I want to pay extra for that content or not.

Lets say they waited a few weeks then put it online as DLC and you'd be happier? Sorry but that's stupid and a waste of time. You have no idea when they finish content so all you do know is what is of value to you or not and if you want to buy it or not.
If I was aware they held back finished work as DLC, no I wouldn't be happier.

I would've thought the decision for customers to buy DLC would be built on the trust that been established since its inception that it is wholly new work, created post-release.

I don't think Gears was 90% complete in terms of gameplay or polish, but there's no argument now that it's not content complete.

Epic did an actually great job of supporting Gears 2 post-release. They also did a massive job with what is actually available to you on disc when you buy it. But it's money grubbing and to me a breech of trust to withhold content for extra money.

Imagine if Epic made Tetris.

MedIC86

Finished it today, campaign was cool....but the ending was imo not epic enough for the conclusion of this trilogy. Also, i understand they cant explain everything but i really wanted to know more about the queen.

DatBreh

Banned
Rimfya said:
If I was aware they held back finished work as DLC, no I wouldn't be happier.

I would've thought the decision for customers to buy DLC would be built on the trust that been established since its inception that it is wholly new work, created post-release.

I don't think Gears was 90% complete in terms of gameplay or polish, but there's no argument now that it's not content complete.

Epic did an actually great job of supporting Gears 2 post-release. They also did a massive job with what is actually available to you on disc when you buy it. But it's money grubbing and to me a breech of trust to withhold content for extra money.

Imagine if Epic made Tetris.

The thing is, if companies waited until after release to begin work on DLC then it would be released well after most people were done with the game. Do you know how long it takes to create new content, test it, get it certified by MS, and then released on the system? Most of the DLC you see with any game was developed simultaneously with the main game.

On another note, the thing i loved about the original Gears that i feel is lost here is the emergence holes. In the original you had to determine if you were going to make a push to close that hole early or just deal with having to fight extra locust for a while.

zlatko

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
I know what woman you're talking about and I thought she was suspicious too. But if she's Myrrah, how can you explain that memorial bust saying she died peacefully in her apartment at 78?

BTW, I picked up a collectible in Act 4 that also mentioned her. It was a magazine that spoke about her sudden disappearance at the age of 30-something (can't recall exact number). So if that bust is telling the truth, we know she spent ~40 years in Azura, ergo we know Azura was built at least ~40 years ago...

Pendulam Wars ended 15 years before Gears of War 1 right? The wars themselves last 79 years. Azura could have been built at any point during that.

As for it explaining she died peacefully at 78, I pointed out we still don't know how exactly Locust came to be, what Azura people did with dead bodies, if she REALLY died peacefully in her apartment, etc. There's a lot of mystery surrounding this woman, but it'd be more odd to see them toss in two collectibles about a woman, and have a statue head of her that has the same facial features as the Queen, then have these laid out for no reason at all.

Just finished it, here's a couple of thoughts:

Visually very impressive, virtually no load times or visible texture pop-in (a major problem with earlier UE3 games, including the Gears ones). Fantastic lighting and a surprising variety in locales. Anyone who says this game is "all brown" has not played it.

I would have preferred Baird and Cole to be on the team for most of the game as opposed to disapearing. Heck, Carmine would have been better than Jace and Anya, his happy-go-lucky banter would have lightened up several moments that were just a tad too serious.

Great campaign, though. Longer than Gears 2, yet much more varied.

AkuMifune

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I would have preferred Baird and Cole to be on the team for most of the game as opposed to disapearing. Heck, Carmine would have been better than Jace and Anya, his happy-go-lucky banter would have lightened up several moments that were just a tad too serious.

Agreed. Though I understand they wanted to expand the cast a bit, I feel like it's too late for that when you're in the final push of the campaign. Just give me as many of the core characters as possible. Really enjoyed the game overall, and enjoying Arcade mode a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Not enjoying Insane, but that's to be expected.

zlatko

Banned
It's a shame Jace wasn't given much thought or love in Gears 3, because after reading all of his info from Gearspedia he definitely is an interesting character, but it never comes across in the campaign. :(

LiK

zlatko said:
It's a shame Jace wasn't given much thought or love in Gears 3, because after reading all of his info from Gearspedia he definitely is an interesting character, but it never comes across in the campaign. :(
I was replaying campaign on coop over last week and Jace makes alot of quips about what's going on. I dont see why people think he's completely devoid of personality.

Grisby

zlatko said:

Yeah, I agree. I really liked the voice actor for him.

zlatko

Banned
LiK said:
I was replaying campaign on coop over last week and Jace makes alot of quips about what's going on. I dont see why people think he's completely devoid of personality.

He's quips aren't even in too line with the character he is in the novel work from what I was reading. In the stuff I read he's a guy trying to find hope or something to believe in, because after seeing his parents murdered by the Locust on e-day he isn't filled with much of it. He was also shown as a bit reckless when he tries to rush a Brumak at one point in one of the comics or books. Jace is also shown to be a kind man and even hooks up with one of the women who are in the birthing places in the Gears lore, and tries to bring her back to Jacinto yet she refuses.

I guarantee that 99% of people don't even realize Jace is missing a big chunk of his left ear.

All Gears 3 campaign shows is some young buck with a lack of personality. Hell even Bernie comes off better realized in her small cameo than he does. :/

Still rock him 24/7 in multi though. :D

mocoworm

I finished this on Hardcore last night. I loved it. Some of the battles were immense. Gears 1 was good, possibly the best... but this comes very close.

mocoworm said:
I finished this on Hardcore last night. I loved it. Some of the battles were immense. Gears 1 was good, possibly the best... but this comes very close.
Gears 1 would probably be my favorite if it weren't for that flashlight car highway shit and the Hammerburst were more fun.

I wasn't to wowed by this installment. I felt... meh through most of the game. The highlights being the first entry into the deadlands, char (the environment evoked the intended emotion), and the entire last act for me. So while this part I didn't find the best out of the trilogy, it is still a pretty good entry that ended on a high note.

bumpkin

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Just finished it, here's a couple of thoughts:

Visually very impressive, virtually no load times or visible texture pop-in (a major problem with earlier UE3 games, including the Gears ones). Fantastic lighting and a surprising variety in locales. Anyone who says this game is "all brown" has not played it.

Great campaign, though. Longer than Gears 2, yet much more varied.
The only section of the campaign I could have done without was the two errands for submarine fuel/parts. They should have had you do one while another team did the other; having to actually *do* both annoyed me.

Finished the campaign today. It's a good looking game and a solid shooter but I found this one to be the most boring. The dialogue is just as stupid as ever. Your not suppose to but I laughed when Madworld started playing. And I hope Ice T was suppose to be a joke because his scenes were flat out horrible. On the plus side I liked the final boss unlike the stupid General Ramm battle from the first game. Overall the first is still the best even though I didn't play that one until after Gears 2.

Beat this just a while ago as well. I loved it, but somehow the atmosphere of destruction and despair was gone. I felt more like the world had gone to shit, and things were looking grim, in Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 then I did in GoW3.

Also, Baird (who I usually like) was annoying as shit.

Third: I loved Dom's death. When he was at the grave, I said to my party: "Is it too obvious he's going to be the one to die at the end of this game?" It wasn't obvious he was going to die so soon. Well-played and unexpected. I always felt like they handled the characters reactions to his death throughout the game much better than most games/films/TV shows.

Majanew

Banned
I didn't like how Carmine just disappeared the entire game just to show up at the end in the chopper and get quickly shot down. They had time to involve him more, but he just felt tacked on like they just got the results of the voting if he lived or died. Dom's death was actually kinda sad. Mad World was a nice touch.

And...dat lighting. Dayum, Epic.

Majanew said:
I didn't like how Carmine just disappeared the entire game just to show up at the end in the chopper and get quickly shot down. They had time to involve him more, but he just felt tacked on like they just got the results of the voting if he lived or died. Dom's death was actually kinda sad. Mad World was a nice touch.

And...dat lighting. Dayum, Epic.
Yeah. Carmine felt very tacked on. He was supposed to be tough and baddass (I think), but I liked Carmine from GoW2 ten times more.

zlatko

Banned
I agree with people saying Gears 1 is still the best campaign. That original concept of some survival horror, the atmosphere, and the all around flow of the game was a genuine treat, and it felt like it naturally flowed out of the developers. Gears2/3 were both trying to be raising bars instead of just focusing on what made the first so good and elevating that.

I also think that EPIC wrote themselves into a corner getting rid of the Kryll, because they were a BIG part of making the atmosphere tense in Gears 1.

This said Gears 3 is still a wonderful way to end the trilogy, and it's just a shame Gears 2 ended up the way it did.

Satchel

Banned
Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
What? Single player games these days max out at about 8 hours. A lot take less then that even. Not saying Gears 3 isn't a bit longer. Seems like it took me 9 or 10 hours.

So how long did you take to beat Street Fighter 2 back in the 90s? Because I paid $120AU and I was done with the game pretty quickly. What about Sonic the Hedgehog? How long was that one for you?

Seriously, games have more content now than EVER, and we're paying less money for them (at least in Asutralia we are).

Back on topic though.

Can't believe Dom died. Was genuinely taken aback by that one. Glad buying that Save Carmine avatar shirt paid off.

Fou-Lu

Finished campaign today and leave it feeling disappointed. Firstly because of the lack of mystery solving; secondly because of the lack of Cole and Baird; thirdly because of how errand ridden the game felt.

Also the ending was just.... anti-climatic.

Hell; I plowed through both Gears 1 and Gears 2 in a single day; Gears 3 took me a couple of weeks.

Gameplay was great. Ending was shit.
Who was the queen? Was she a human who joined the locust cause? What were the things in the lab in gears 2? What was up with the locust? So what if they were driven from their caverns, they could've lived peacefully with the humans. Adam seemed to be genuinely sorry - were the originally peaceful locust always controlled by the lambent and thus driven mad?
How the fuck did no-one see that Imulsion was alive before? y'know, look at your fuel under the microscope.
Was this stuff planned since gears 1? I'm gonna say no.
Ugh. So disappointing.
I'm gonna say Dom's death was handled pretty well tho. You could see his suicidal tendencies growing by the time they visited the village. Him looking at the grave, taking off his cog tags.

edit: sam's band-aid bothers me for some reason. who the fuck wears band-aids in the face, seriously? apart from nelly. reminds me of brink. ugh.
i'd play as her in MP but i just can't get over the band-aid.

Marco1

Didn't like the ending, to many unanswered questions but I'm hoping that's Epic s plan.
To answer all those questions with DLC missions and maybe a nextbox gears 4.

razu

Aske said:

The cool thing about gears 1 was the pressure of shutting the sink holes with grenades. First you had to find them, then you had to jump out of cover to get grenades. Then you had to switch out of your main weapon to attempt to close the holes.

In 3, you sit behind cover the whole time, shoot enemies with the never-ending lancer, occasionally pointing up a bit to pop pods.

That's not as cool.

And nothing came close to the original Berserker encounter. Or the kryll, or working your way through the train carriages, or the creaky wooden floorboard bit, or RAAM..., (the character, not the final battle, that was as bad as this final battle, I never finished it on insane without glitching him out on some scenery).

However, 3 is a great game.

We didn't have to sit through vehicles that can't shoot and drive at the same time. Or bastard mine carts.

And it really felt like living through an action movie.

I do prefer just picking up COG tags though. It's purer than picking up all this random crap.

And 1 had better MP maps... :(

But 3 plays better in mp...! And still has *good* maps. Just nothing with the atmosphere of Subway or Mansion. And as for people saying Hotel is the same as Mansion... where's upstairs...? Also, it's huge. Where's all the twisty bits? It's all open.

3 definitely has better lighting... but, then does it look or feel better...? 1 felt miserable. A nasty, rainy shithole of a place. 3 feels kind of okay. Well, except from the destroyed shithole city bit...

I dunno. 1 is fantastic, and so is 3. 1 was probably a bit more raw, and a bit more cool. 3 still has that awesome feel to it when you're in mp, switching between weapons, reloading as you slide into cover. I've never played anything that makes soldiers and weapons feel as real. When you're dead, and so have the time to take it in, watching someone switch from shotgun to sniper, reload, hear the old case hit the ground, hear them grunt and their feet crunch as they pull into cover... it's brilliant. And it's now a familiar feeling, and I can't get that anywhere else.

So. Very good, almost perfect. Room for improvement in the next game. Reboot please, and a totally stark, gritty environment for me please!!! And rain, cheers!

Aske

razu said:
The cool thing about gears 1 was the pressure of shutting the sink holes with grenades. First you had to find them, then you had to jump out of cover to get grenades. Then you had to switch out of your main weapon to attempt to close the holes.

So true. I really miss sealing grub holes. There are a few in Gears 2, but it's not the same; and the stalks in Gears 3 are nowhere near as fun. 'Shoot nodules to destroy large immobile threat' is a pretty old gaming staple, whereas 'toss grenade into sinkhole without getting head blown off' felt totally unique.

I'm halfway through Gears 2 now. I'm appreciating so many aspects of the game, but I can see why I didn't feel compelled to replay the campaign more than twice until now. It just doesn't have that never-ending thrill of magnificent combat that Gears 1 has. As Epic says, it doesn't have the Gears 1 hourglass effect, and it's such a shame because the environments are incredible and there are so many good ideas. But there are too many big, shallow events; and too few tight, memorable battles.

What the hell is up with the Sires? I'd totally forgotten about them. Preserved Locust ancestors found in a cave...okay, I'm with you. But future of the human race? And the facility studying them is doing some kind of experiments on people? I have no idea what's up with that. I hope there's a better explanation than "because Niles was crazy."

What a great game. I basically finished it in one sitting tonight.

For as much as people mock the "ten shitloads" dialogue and how dudebro it is etc, it's kinda amazing the range of emotions I felt throughout this game. It doesn't have the best writing, it's not Citizen Kane and it definitely won't evoke the same feelings in everyone, but over the course of the three Gears games I've become really attached to a lot of these characters. Moreso than that, I've really fallen in love with the planet of Sera - the fact so many areas are beautifully constructed, with intricate architecture and a somewhat gothic atmosphere, just makes it more sad when you look at what the last seventeen years of war have done to the planet. I loved in the first chapter when you switch perspective to Cole you get to take in all of the abandoned buildings, playgrounds and streets. It really set the tone and several other moments throughout the game capitalised on that.

I really like how all 3 games have had a pretty drastically different direction. The first game was all about learning about the Locust, defending the last pockets of civilisation and trying to put an end to one single threat. The second then focused on the humans bringing the fight to the Locust, invading their home and learning a lot about their civilisation whilst expanding the threat somewhat as the Lambent are introduced. Now, in the third, all of that seems somewhat trivial. It's no longer about ugly humanoids attacking the entire race, you're literally seeing the planet being ripped apart by Imulsion and it does feel like the human race is going to come to an end.

I have to say the Dom death scene was really, really well done too. I expected Dizzy to eat a bullet when the "Brothers to the End" achievement popped up and I think it was really gutsy to kill Dom off, especially so early into the game. Very few deaths take me by surprise and it didn't feel out of place at all - he finally seemed at peace with himself and that's what made the death so meaningful. I especially liked the touch of having the music to "Mad World" kick in, also, as it was one of few moments that really did capture the feeling of that advert perfectly. I'd go so far as to say it's now one of my favourite cutscenes in gaming history, period. Furthermore, I loved that after his death, unlike in Gears 2 when Maria dies and you just go straight back into the action, this time you spend a good 5 - 10 minutes walking through this desolate city looking at these people in the postures they died in. It really kept the dark nature of his sacrifice going. I also liked that all of the characters took his death with them to the end of the game - I expected it to be almost forgotten by the final cutscene.

In regards to closure I think I was more satisfied than a lot of people judging by the posts I've skimmed over in this thread. I didn't need to know the origins of the Locust (I had just assumed they had always been underground) and I didn't want a "Marcus, I am your mother" moment, either. I am pretty curious about why the Locust Queen has such a human appearance, but I don't think it was a huge oversight not to explain that. Maybe it's better that it isn't explained. I thought that the fact there was such a relatively easy solution to kill all of the enemies was a bit disappointing, but I'm not sure how else you could wipe them out, honestly. I was hoping the CD that Adam gave to Baird would be explored before the end... they focused on that so I thought it would have some significant exposition on it.

I think the closure for me is provided mostly by the COGs. Dom is dead, Marcus has seen his father again and has Anya, Cole has revisited his past and had one last moment of glory, Baird and Aussie chick have something blooming, etc etc. I didn't want to see a cutscene a decade later showing Sera re-built, I was happy with the knowledge that the characters I've spent time with over the last three games just had a potential future, as Adam points out. There was a lot of restraint there for Epic to end it and not throw something in after the credits.

... and this is just the story/environments I'm talking about. There's also the fact it's one of the best paced, balanced, exciting and varied action games I've played outside of Uncharted. You're constantly being pushed into new encounters with new enemies, using different weapons and tactics, rewarded for experimentation etc etc. There was basically no moments in the game I felt bored, perhaps other than the submarine segment which lacked tension and was too long. That's it, though - one sequence in a 6/7 hour game. Better yet, there was absolutely zero driving sequences. I'm so grateful they actually listened to the people who called those moments in 1 and 2 shit. I suppose this isn't really the thread for that sort of discussion, though.

I don't know where I want them to go for a Gears 4 as I definitely feel that re-visiting Sera after this moment would be a bit problematic. You could always have pockets of Locust survive, I suppose, but would that be exciting now? I don't think so. The people have been pushed to the very edge of what they can survive and for another threat to pop up just seems too much. The obvious choice would be a prequel, but again I don't know if that could satisfy, either. The Pendulum Wars was just a war between humans, correct? It would feel odd fighting other humans in a Gears game and I don't think it would be nearly as exciting.

Since Gears has been one of the best new IPs to come out of this generation I would trust Epic and Cliffy to do that again, to be honest. Start fresh - new characters, new world, new enemies. I don't think that's likely since Gears is such a massive brand, but hey.

Regardless, 1-3 have been so good I have faith that they'll do any future titles right.

Bit of a rambling post but I had high expectations and it blew me away. Can't wait to play it again on Insane in co-op!

Vincent Alexander said:
Beat this just a while ago as well. I loved it, but somehow the atmosphere of destruction and despair was gone. I felt more like the world had gone to shit, and things were looking grim, in Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 then I did in GoW3.

this. i just couldn't help but to feel like the world i was in was not the same as gears 1 and 2. the change in art direction really, really bugged me. i'm not sure why epic made that decision. maybe cliffyb could chime in on that?

i did think it was fucking awesome how the locust came flying up out of the ground in this one. i also agree with the earlier poster about missing the gameplay mechanic of closing the grub holes in this one.

anyway, overall it was cool. i'm fine with the story as i never expect much from games in that department. i'm assuming they left the backstory of the queen unexplained for future games...

I felt like Gears 2 was better paced. It was a roller coaster ride and I never wanted to let go of the controller. I think in Gears 3 Act 2-4 got bogged down quite a bit (reminded me of Gears 1 in a way), they probably could've cut 5 chapters easily and shortened a bunch more (especially the parts where you have to do 3 things like destroy 3 catapults or destroy 3 gas barges or something).

I get that they wanted to slow it down to show emotion but I think there was a bit too much meandering around which didn't advance the story (such as cutting through locust territory and chasing down the barge for a ride). In Gears 1 everything was new to you and in Gears 2 it was just exciting moment to moment.

Say what you want about the lack of story or personality in Gears 1 & 2 but there was just a lot to discover and they threw in a bunch of intrigue by not totally telling you what was going on and keeping you guessing, and you really didn't know what you were going to be doing in the next few Chapters. In Gears 3 it was really straight forward-- get the disc decrypted, find transport to Adam Fenix, and then go there and get him. I will say Gears 3 did a better just in making the people real but I think they just could've done a better job overall.

Also think both Gears 1 & Gears 2 did a better job in wrapping up the final Act. Once you got there you just wanted to finish the fight, and it was relatively quick. Act 5 was just a little too long for my liking here.

Finally, I think that there was some rough spots with hardcore difficulty that they could've smoothed out. Sometimes your AI just seems like they get dumbed down on purpose so that YOU have to defeat a boss yourself. And other times certain fights are unfair and its really down to luck.

---

Now as far as the actual story, they really didn't answer much. They could easily make another trilogy with the amount of questions they left unanswered. What were the locust doing with people like Dom's wife and Tai? What is the origin of the locust? Is it possible that they are mutated humans? And why did Myrrah look human and not die from Adam's weapon? Seems like she may have been fully human at one point or is some sort of human/locus hybrid.

MikeHaggar said:
this. i just couldn't help but to feel like the world i was in was not the same as gears 1 and 2. the change in art direction really, really bugged me. i'm not sure why epic made that decision. maybe cliffyb could chime in on that?
I think it still felt like the same world... you were just seeing a different side to it. The area around the stadium, the Imulsion pumping town that was deserted, the city that was destroyed by the Hammer of Dawn etc all felt like areas that could've fit into Gears 1, albeit with added sunshine.

I admit it is a bit jarring to suddenly get these vibrant colours in the game, but it wasn't so jarring it didn't feel like a Gears game. If anything it made the environments seem more dark and depressing because of the juxtaposition of the two. Whereas in Gears 1 and 2 these areas were destroyed in a rather bleak world, here you get to see that Sera can be a beautiful planet that has been torn apart by the wars.

abracadaver

How did the locust jump that high from their holes ? It looked good but made no sense.
Should have saved that for the lambent or make a new very agile locust type to do that.

Acidote

OMG hahahaha!
Insane Act IV chapters 2 & 3

I touched the chicken with the red kinda piratey hat in the room before Griffins', and in the next chapter I kicked the ammo stack that's over two boxes and a barrel, and then some kind of "ship" made of ammo boxes with the pirate hat chicken piloting it came and dropped a few chicken launchers for me. Air support! And then it flew away like a jet.

Ricker

What an awesome game...I was sure Dom would come back to save a situation or something,or even a little something after the credit roll...some great action sets and wonderful graphics,great stuff.

delta25

Banned
How in gods name do you beat the part in act 3 where you have to defend yourself from the gas barge that shoots the boom shots and drops off the "queen's guard", I'm on insane by the way.

Help me gears gaf

Carnby

scar tissue said:
Gameplay was great. Ending was shit.
Who was the queen? Was she a human who joined the locust cause? What were the things in the lab in gears 2? What was up with the locust? So what if they were driven from their caverns, they could've lived peacefully with the humans. Adam seemed to be genuinely sorry - were the originally peaceful locust always controlled by the lambent and thus driven mad?
How the fuck did no-one see that Imulsion was alive before? y'know, look at your fuel under the microscope.
Was this stuff planned since gears 1? I'm gonna say no.
Ugh. So disappointing.
I'm gonna say Dom's death was handled pretty well tho. You could see his suicidal tendencies growing by the time they visited the village. Him looking at the grave, taking off his cog tags.

edit: sam's band-aid bothers me for some reason. who the fuck wears band-aids in the face, seriously? apart from nelly. reminds me of brink. ugh.
i'd play as her in MP but i just can't get over the band-aid.

Everything about this piece of shit character annoyed me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Finished it last night on Hardcore.

Gameplay, graphics, and sound were all top-notch. It's been a long time since a 360 game has made me drop my jaw at graphics, but this one did it. The lighting in particular is off the charts. That blast from Myrrah's beetle, how it lit up everything, and set shit on fire, was amazing. I'd love to hear the story behind how that was programmed to work.

The story was good, but not great. I, too, was shocked at how early Dom's death came. After the grave scene I expected it, just not so quickly. I felt the ball was really dropped on explaining why the Queen looked human, but like others I expect this to be a future storyline in another game.

About the only thing that really annoyed me from a design perspective was the reliance on cover. Yes, I know it's an integral part of the gameplay, but it felt like the levels were designed around it, not to just include it. What I mean is, you have a long hallway, free of debris, so you know you aren't facing a fire fight there! Yet, you come to a long hallway, with conveniently placed boxes, overturned tables, etc. and sure as hell you start preparing yourself because you know some baddies are right around the corner. This took me out of the game so much because it was obvious where the battles were going to be fought.

Overall though, it's a great game, and despite my little nitpicks I loved it. The ending was satisfying (minus the lack of Queen data), and I look forward to rejoining the universe someday in the future, be it a prequel or something set further in time (because there's no way the pulse wiped out ALL of the Locust...)

Top Bottom