• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

Volimar

Seth Balmore said:
I wanna see her being introduced smoking a cigar and putting on her best tuff gurl act when suddenly Bernie calmly comes in, snatches the cigar from her mouth and puts it out under her awesome kitty fur boots.

Then the DLC will carry on to star the one, the only, the Boomer Lady, the awesome Sergeant McFuckyo'shitup, THE Bernie Mataki. Awwwwwww yeah.

I do think a Bernie/Alex storyline is rife with character growth opportunities. Boomer Lady has really taken a kind of mother role, and I think Alex can benefit a lot from that.

Otherwise she'll come off as a slightly more acidic Sam.

Kimosabae

Banned
AdamMPSP said:
Man, I disagree with this so much, both concerning Lost and Gears 3. You might think you want the "ANSWERS," but the writers are giving you the answers that are important and the answers that matter to the story they're interested in telling.

IMO, the more abstract any expression - the better. I will argue that anyone that can't appreciate this approach, lacks imagination. People need to learn to appreciate things that simply speak - not just speak TO them.

*edit*

Well, maybe not "The more the better", but, many elements in expressions benefit more from at least some ambiguity rather than none.

That said, Myrrah's presentation is simply such a big question that it's surprising it wasn't answered in the campaign. Then again, that's what makes it interesting.

razu

BruiserBear said:
Cheesy characters are a part of the Gears universe, and I'm cool with that, but this character served no other purpose than to give ICE-T some voice work, and make a few people think it's cool that EPIC got ICE-T in their game. Dumb.

To be fair, I thought it was SUPERCOOL that Ice-T was in the game. But, what was even cooler was that someone at my work who had played through the game, and is of a similar, Ice-T relevant age, completely didn't realise it was Ice-T. Money well spent...!

Jacob4815

CliffyB said:
EDIT: And no, we're not going to answer everything. Creatives often leave certain questions unanswered so they can answer them later or let the hive mind of the internet to figure it out. The Gearspedia has already solved a lot of these questions.

Cliff, can you tell us if the upcoming DLC will give new answers?
I'm a big fan of the whole Gears of War storyline, I loved it after GOW2, but GOW3 story left me so... confused and disappointed. :(
Mainly about the Queen and Adam.

And what are the questions solved by Gearspedia?
I need for clarification, because i really, really LOVE these games... Gears 3 is a gameplay masterpiece...

Thanks!

NullPointer said:
I think its because for once you really see Marcus as truly damaged in this game, both inside and out. He's just completely worn out.
Agreed. At the end of the game is the first time you see Marcus NOT fighting for something in the entire series. Since he was busted out of jail, he's always been fighting for his life/planet. Always. Not doing snowboard mini-games, not doing sidequest, not not sharing a moment of triumph (that last longer than a few minutes before something else needs to be done).
He's definitely lost more from this war than he had when it began, but at least for now he can hold onto what is left.

That's my little character study of the ending. :)

Dug

Banned
So was the Griffin levels added at the last minute or was he planned as being a character the entire time?

Grisby

NullPointer said:
I think its because for once you really see Marcus as truly damaged in this game, both inside and out. He's just completely worn out.

Yeah, that was nice. Got the good, "Where do you go from here?" sense.

Volimar

Grisby said:
Yeah, that was nice. Got the good, "Where do you go from here?" sense.

I started to enjoy it till my brother said "Guess where he's putting Anya's hand."

I guarantee you cannot unsee. Hope I ruined it for you guys as much as he did for me.

BrokenBox said:
Gears really isn't that serious. I think people in this thread are hyperbole-ing.

thisisgafdude
This irks me. You say it's not serious and that those who say it is are wrong, without actually backing up this statement. So please tell me how Gears does not attempt to be serious. Hell, it seems the dude's at Epic think it's serious. They sure aren't selling the games as parodies, not when they put serious backing behind their narrative or talk about how things like Dom and Maria are supposed to impact the player?

Kimosabae

Banned
If "seriousness" is defined as an artistic interpretation/approximation attempt at reality; with Gear's male character models, gratuitous violence and B movie dialogue - it doesn't make a good case for itself.

Anything can be taken as seriously as an individual is willing to invest him/herself in it. Doesn't necessarily mean it deserves (or needs) that arbitrary label.

Proelite

Cliffyb, sp dlc with onyx guards npcs please. Just fought against like 20 of them in beast mode and would like to see them featured more in the game.

my only real major gripe with game is the whole "we have to get to the sub, but it doesnt have fuel so we have to go here to get fuel...ok couldn't get fuel there, so let's go here....wait can't get fuel there either....oh well maybe there is fuel where the sub is"

maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the team leave both fuel missions...fuel less? so thats 1/3 of the game that really didn't need to happen...plus Dom dying?

jackdoe

GodfatherX said:
my only real major gripe with game is the whole "we have to get to the sub, but it doesnt have fuel so we have to go here to get fuel...ok couldn't get fuel there, so let's go here....wait can't get fuel there either....oh well maybe there is fuel where the sub is"

maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the team leave both fuel missions...fuel less? so thats 1/3 of the game that really didn't need to happen...plus Dom dying?
It definitely feels that way and it's a complaint that has been brought up. It could easily have been rectified with a couple of tweaks to the story, i.e. they actually ARE successful at Mercy and get the fuel, pass through Char on the way to the sub, and skip over the fuel fetch quest at the sub station.

Kimosabae said:
Anything can be taken as seriously as an individual is willing to invest him/herself in it. Doesn't necessarily mean it deserves (or needs) that arbitrary label.
I don't want to invest into Gear's story. The problem is I think the game wants you to and that's a problem. The b-level dialogue (which is just bad, no excuses), violence, and style clash with what the game wants to presents it self as in it's narrative. That's what I'm saying is it's main problem.

Grisby

Volimar said:
I started to enjoy it till my brother said "Guess where he's putting Anya's hand."

I guarantee you cannot unsee. Hope I ruined it for you guys as much as he did for me.
Aw, you dick.
aw0Es.gif

Nah, Marcus needed that lovin after 3 games and countless books of built up tension.

ultron87

Beat it.

I think I was most invested in seeing if Carmine lived or died.

Lack of mild explanation of the Locust and the Queen was annoying. I am sure that is a common complaint.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Can anyone explain the hurricane machine? Why was there a hurricane machine? What was it for?

I feel like I'm completely missing something.

Volimar

K2Valor said:
Can anyone explain the hurricane machine? Why was there a hurricane machine? What was it for?

I feel like I'm completely missing something.

It was to camouflage/protect the island from invasion. Although it does seem technologically a leap higher than most of the tech on Sera. It's going to end up being another "How come I can't cloak like Jack can?" question.

I'll add that I was brought out of the experience a bit when I saw the turrets on the outside of the sub. The drag that they must have produced....completely impractical. If you're going to have turrets have them imbedded in the main body of the sub at least.

jackdoe

Volimar said:
It was to camouflage/protect the island from invasion. Although it does seem technologically a leap higher than most of the tech on Sera. It's going to end up being another "How come I can't cloak like Jack can?" question.
I don't know. The hurricane tech actually seems pretty tame when compared to the Hammer of Dawn. Now, Jack's cloaking tech. That's completely overpowered and begs the question: why didn't the island use the tech to hide itself?

prophecy0

Volimar said:

I'll add that I was brought out of the experience a bit when I saw the turrets on the outside of the sub. The drag that they must have produced....completely impractical. If you're going to have turrets have them imbedded in the main body of the sub at least.

I think in the books it is stated that Jack's cloaking tech is both experimental and one-of-a-kind. I could very well be misremembering though.

I admittedly haven't read this entire thread, but two plot holes that bothered me that I was hoping someone could clarify are:

1) How the hell did Anya and Sam get from the busted up Sovereign all the way to Anvil Gate so quickly? An entire act of the game is devoted to breaking into a locust base in order to steal an airship to fly to Anvil Gate, yet when you arrive Sam and Anya are already there.

2) How were all of the COG's vehicles still running at the end of the game? In the ending cutscene it shows a few imulsion drilling platforms basically blowing up, yet the king ravens seem to be running just fine. Does Adam's magic machine only affect unrefined imulsion?

Volimar

jackdoe said:
I don't know. The hurricane tech actually seems pretty tame when compared to the Hammer of Dawn. Now, Jack's cloaking tech. That's completely overpowered and begs the question: why didn't the island use the tech to hide itself?

I rationalized to myself that the cloaking field is probably toxic to living tissue, so only inorganic materials can be cloaked. Makes sense, even if it was never stated as such.

Volimar

prophecy0 said:
1) How the hell did Anya and Sam get from the busted up Sovereign all the way to Anvil Gate so quickly? An entire act of the game is devoted to breaking into a locust base in order to steal an airship to fly to Anvil Gate, yet when you arrive Sam and Anya are already there.

2) How were all of the COG's vehicles still running at the end of the game? In the ending cutscene it shows a few imulsion drilling platforms basically blowing up, yet the king ravens seem to be running just fine. Does Adam's magic machine only affect unrefined emulsion?

1). Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Although Sam was leading the way and it was her hometown. She probably knew of a wormhole that led straight there but didn't tell the guys because they left her behind...

2. The refined thing is the popular rationalization. Though you have to figure that there is still some immulsion in some storage tank somewhere on the surface or buried under the sunken remains of the Hollow that escaped being neutralized...

Rimfya

Banned
Something I only thought of today: Why didn't Adam Fenix launch the anti-imulsion weapon a long time ago? Or have I already forgotten something we needed to get to him before it would work...

jackdoe

Volimar said:
1). Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Although Sam was leading the way and it was her hometown. She probably knew of a wormhole that led straight there but didn't tell the guys because they left her behind...
I doubt it. Sam gave Cole specific instructions. I don't think that would slip her mind.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rimfya said:
Something I only thought of today: Why didn't Adam Fenix launch the anti-imulsion weapon a long time ago? Or have I already forgotten something we needed to get to him before it would work...
Because even when he used it now it still wasn't done and had side affects (killing all of the locust unintentionally)? Plus isn't Myyrah the one who tasked him to create it the entire time? Only when she got desperate and reckless is when Adam Fenix sped up the process (events between Gears 2 and 3 where the Locust are forced out).

joat217

Neo Member
I just noticed something, is this the first time, in any franchise, that
most of its content or property(in gears's case characters) come together in the very end.
from the regular games to expanded?

Proelite

joat217 said:
I just noticed something, is this the first time, in any franchise, that
most of its content or property(in gears's case characters) come together in the very end.
from the regular games to expanded?

Not sure what you are talking about.

Korosenai

Dug said:
I'm sorry, and I don't care how anyone spins it, but paying for on disc dlc is just completely stupid.

3 maps and all of those characters are already finished and on the disc. It's just completely stupid. GoW3 has already sold 3 million copies in the first week, how much more money do they want?

/rant

All I wanted to know was what were the sires? what was that that whole slow as hell lab level in Gears2 all about? and why did the Queen look human?

They ignored those points in favour of 3 hours looking for fuel.

Look it up on a wiki? Damn.

The rest was excellent though and I personally loved Sam's voice.

Volimar

NubInaTub said:
I'm sorry, and I don't care how anyone spins it, but paying for on disc dlc is just completely stupid.

3 maps and all of those characters are already finished and on the disc. It's just completely stupid. GoW3 has already sold 3 million copies in the first week, how much more money do they want?

/rant

Seems okay to me. We already got a bigger campaign, expanded multiplayer, improved horde mode, all new beast mode, more characters, more weapons (like it or not), and unlockable character and weapon skins. I'd have preferred more maps at launch, and I'm a little pissy that they dangled Bernie in front of us in a reveal months ago and now she's all of a sudden "Always intended to be dlc" but I can get over it. I'm not buying dlc unless it adds something worthwhile though.

IdreamofHIME said:
All I wanted to know was what were the sires? what was that that whole slow as hell lab level in Gears2 all about? and why did the Queen look human?
They were miners who were effected my imulsion, I think (though if I remember correctly, they more resembled locust than humans and were nothing like the lambent humans...)

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
jackdoe said:
Bullshit. Lost writers pretty much fucked up the complete final season, treading water, and either not answering questions they spent years building up (those definitely qualify as IMPORTANT QUESTIONS) or answering them poorly, with poorly made episodes. They wasted most of the final season on stupid bullshit and wrapped it up in the most unsatisfactory way possible. And when fan theories are more interesting than what the Lost writers gave us, then it becomes a problem.

That said, Gears does this to an extent, but nowhere to the point that Lost did it.

Exactly.

It is not good writing to dangle mysteries in front of the audience and never resolve them. (Apart from when the mystery is the key driver, like Marcellus Wallace's suitcase)

It's especially frustrating when you set up something like the Sires which immediately sets the minds of the audience racing with questions "Who set up this lab? What did Adam Fenix have to do with it? Is there a connection between humans and Locust?" To then never have these questions answered in the followup leaves a very unsatisfying feeling. Sames for human face queen.

mocoworm

jackdoe said:
Bullshit. Lost writers pretty much fucked up the complete final season, treading water, and either not answering questions they spent years building up (those definitely qualify as IMPORTANT QUESTIONS) or answering them poorly, with poorly made episodes. They wasted most of the final season on stupid bullshit and wrapped it up in the most unsatisfactory way possible.

I couldn't disagree more.

mocoworm

GodfatherX said:

No spoiler tags ?

Rimfya

Banned
LOL oh boy. Characters and maps on disc.

I think I will never live to see another game which completely demonstrates both everything awesome, and everything totally deplorable about video games.

Guess Epic had faith in MS new disc encryption to try and get away with this.

mocoworm

NubInaTub said:

I can't believe that this still happens. If the content is on your disc that you paid for, then it is yours. The audacity to think that people will put up for this is shocking. Although, in reality, we do. Which kind of turns the tables on us.

Acidote

Volimar said:

I saw that myself the very first time I saw the ending. My mind is fucked up.

Malo

Banned
Just beat the campaign and it was the best of the gears games. That being said, the final boss was an absolute bitch to kill. It took my friend and I over an hour to beat.

Apdiddy

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I wonder if Gears of War universe and Bulletstorm are somehow connected. There was a location named "Serrano" (like an ocean) in Gears 3 and General Serrano was the main villain in Bulletstorm. It's more than likely a coincidence.

And I'm glad that the Locust Queen wasn't Marcus' mother: that would have been way too easy of an answer and I'm glad it's more complicated than that. Hopefully, if there is a prequel game, more of her origin is explained or she's a scientist that gives players information.

I think I may install BioShock and play through that after playing Gears 3. Chairman Prescott is almost like Andrew Ryan.....

Top Bottom