• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm kinda mad at Djokovic for not disclosing what his off the court issues have been that have caused his on the court play to be shit for the past 11 months.

This guy destroyed all of his confidence, that's all:

JTAevag.png

Diamond

I'm kinda mad at Djokovic for not disclosing what his off the court issues have been that have caused his on the court play to be shit for the past 11 months.

I don't know about that. If it's really an off court problem, he doesn't HAVE to tell anybody. It's his life.
Plus his declining results began just after his Roland Garros win. It's obvious he lost some of his will to win there. I'm not saying it's just that, but it's certainly a part of the problem.

And yeah, there's Querrey.

Deadman

Nadal hits the ball out and the line judge calls it out. It was well out.

Umpire comes down to look and decides it was in. He was looking at the wrong mark.

Instead of being 4-2 Goffin they replay the point and Nadal ends up winning that game and now the set.

clemenx

Banned
I dont think the blown point affected as much as people are saying (it certainly shouldn't have to Goffin) but it is idiotic not to adjust the technology to clay courts because reasons.

I dont think the blown point affected as much as people are saying (it certainly shouldn't have to Goffin) but it is idiotic not to adjust the technology to clay courts because reasons.

It completely changed the momentum of the match. The game was extended by many more minutes then it should have been. Goffin knew for a fact it was out. The rest of that game is ersatz. It's a terrible thing to have to adjust to.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Chances of Goffin losing the match anyway were probably somewhat high, but who knows what would have happened had he taken the first set? It seemed like he was well on his way to doing so. It very clearly affected him.

RedAssedApe

Banned
lame call. wasn't even close. he didn't even consult the line judge.

nadal should have conceded the point too. judging by his body language he knew it was likely going to land out the second after he hit it.

oti

Banned
lame call. wasn't even close. he didn't even consult the line judge.

nadal should have conceded the point too. judging by his body language he knew it was likely going to land out the second after he hit it.
Nah, it's not for Nadal to overrule the umpire in that situation. Not like he was on the side of the wrong call.

He only won because Federer is having a break. Who would have thought someone could have said that and it be somewhat true.

Well, thats not at all true when you're talking about matches on the clay. His 3-0 record against Nadal this year on hard court means nothing when talking about clay

Ricker

Bouchard lost her 5th straight WTA match today. She's going for Donald Youngs record.

She better snap out of it because I think she will need to qualify for Madrid and Rome...

Sharapova returns tomorrow against Vinci...some players are still upset she got a pass for Stuggart(Cornet and Halep).

d+pad

Sharapova returns tomorrow against Vinci...some players are still upset she got a pass for Stuggart(Cornet and Halep).

It's both hilarious and ridiculous to me that fellow players continue to harp about the fact that tournaments are giving Sharapova wild cards. It is totally within the rules (and within her "rights") for her to ask for wild cards, and it's also within the rules for tourney directors to grant them to her.

I know pretty much all of the other players hate her and wish she had just retired as a result of the doping ruling, but she didn't so now they're all pissed/sad that she's daring to come back.

Anyway, I'm personally really excited about her return to the tour as well as the soon-ish returns of Azarenka and Kvitova. The women's game desperately needs a few players who can win consistently, and I think we'll finally get that--at least from Sharapova and Azarenka--after these ladies get a few tournaments under their belts...

Serena being sidelined from pregnancy really opens the door for not only players who already have titles like Mugaruza, Kerber, Sharapova, Azarenka, Kvitova etc. but also for players who are knocking on the door but still searching for their first title like Wozniaki, Radwanska, Bouchard, Halep etc.

oti

Banned
Serena being sidelined from pregnancy really opens the door for not only players who already have titles like Mugaruza, Kerber, Sharapova, Azarenka, Kvitova etc. but also for players who are knocking on the door but still searching for their first title like Wozniaki, Radwanska, Bouchard, Halep etc.

This is it, Henin/Hingis/Graf!
Come back and win another major!

d+pad

Clijsters, Hingis, and Henin are like the same age as Serena they should all come back. Graff is around the same age as Date-Krumm so its not impossible

I'd love for Graf to come back, but it's pretty obvious she's *very* happily retired. In fact, I doubt she misses the game much at all. I get the feeling she's glad she played the sport and is proud of her accomplishments, but prefers being a wife and mother and philanthropist. Which I think is pretty cool, really. (Too often, retired athletes spend the rest of their lives obsessed with their former glory.)

I'd also love to see Clijsters and Henin again, but I really don't see it happening. And I'm not too sure Henin would do all that well against today's players.

Hingis *for sure* wouldn't do well against today's players, IMO. She's an amazing doubles player, but she didn't even have what was needed to win majors/beat top players during her last comeback, so why would she now?

More seriously, I agree that we could see some very interesting/exciting/surprising Grand Slam winners in the next 12 or so months--and perhaps even after that, should Serena never return, drag her feet on her return, or not return to her former glory.

Personally, I'd love to see Aggie win a Slam, although I think even with Serena gone the stars will have to align for that to happen. Same with Wozniacki, really. Oh, and Halep. All three are just too likely to be bullied by big hitters, especially at the majors.

Aside from Azarenka, Kvitova and Sharapova, I think the likeliest Slam winners in the next year-plus are Kerber, Pliskova and *maybe* Muguruza. Both Kerber and Muguruza really are going to have to get their heads back on straight if they're going to make that happen at the French or Wimbledon, though, as right now they're hot messes--more likely to lose to anyone than to win an entire tournament...

d+pad

This is it, Henin/Hingis/Graf!
Come back and win another major!

And now you've got me thinking about how lovely it would be for Graf to come back, win another major, and tie Serena for Slam singles wins--you know, just to make things even more interesting should Serena return after giving birth XD

I'm convinced this year's Wimbledon women's draw is going to be a complete mess with Serena out. Few have any form and even those who do (Pliskova, Konta) aren't necessary going to do well on grass. Looking forward to it greatly.

I'm convinced this year's Wimbledon women's draw is going to be a complete mess with Serena out. Few have any form and even those who do (Pliskova, Konta) aren't necessary going to do well on grass. Looking forward to it greatly.

Chances of an unseeded player winning Wimbledon on the womens side will probably be the highest it has ever been. I would put it at 10%

Pironkova def. V. Williams in the final :)

I mean, Sharapova will be unseeded at Wimbledon as well. Due to her layoff being drug suspension related, her points were not protected and she won't be able to be top 30 in time for Wimbledon.

Speaking of Sharapova, she just won her first set against Vinci. This is her first competitive match in over a year

Ricker

I mean, Sharapova will be unseeded at Wimbledon as well. Due to her layoff being drug suspension related, her points were not protected and she won't be able to be top 30 in time for Wimbledon.

Speaking of Sharapova, she just won her first set against Vinci. This is her first competitive match in over a year

Yep,its almost like she never left ;) ...I am sure she has been playing somewhere on her own private tennis court during her suspension lol...

d+pad

I was kidding--mostly--about Pironkova.

Still, someone like her, who does surprisingly well on grass but nowhere else, could surprise at Wimbledon. Same with players like Lisicki (what's up with her these days, anyway?) and, uh, I can't think of any others at the moment.

And, yes, you're right about Sharapova. I'm not sure I can see her *quite* being back to form enough in time to win Wimbledon, but who knows? Same could be true of Kvitova if she's back in time for the French (which I'm doubting at the moment).

Back to Sharapova, good for her for taking that close first set against Vinci! She had to fight through her last couple of service games, too. Hopefully that'll give her confidence moving forward. At the very least, hopefully she goes on to win this match!

d+pad

Yep,its almost like she never left ;) ...I am sure she has been playing somewhere on her own private tennis court during her suspension lol...

Going by her Instagram account, she basically trained throughout the layoff. Started right from the beginning of the ban, actually.

Say what you want about her, but you can't say she isn't dedicated...

Edit: Sharapova won! 7-5, 6-3. Wish I could've watched it. Checking out the score on line as it happened made it seem like a nice tussle. Also, she ended with 11 aces, 3 doubles, and broke Vinci at love to take the second set and match. Next up: Makarova.

LuuKyK

So good to have Masha back! She was missed.

Despite being rusty and kind of slow, which was expected after 15 months not playing, I think she played very well. Her serve was very good.

d+pad

So good to have Masha back! She was missed.

Despite being rusty and kind of slow, which was expected after 15 months not playing, I think she played very well. Her serve was very good.

Oh, yeah, definitely a bit rusty and slow, but even then she ended with 11 aces, 39 winners and only 21 errors. Kind of amazing, really.

Makarova in the next round should be a much sterner test--assuming Makarova keeps her cool (she doesn't always). She's certainly a good server and hitter, and I wouldn't be shocked if Sharapova stumbles against her.

BTW, did anyone else see that Genie has blasted Sharapova in the Canadian media, saying that Sharapova's a cheater and never should've been allowed to play the sport again? Ha! I have a feeling Sharapova will remember that remark should they ever play again...

Oh, yeah, definitely a bit rusty and slow, but even then she ended with 11 aces, 39 winners and only 21 errors. Kind of amazing, really.

Makarova in the next round should be a much sterner test--assuming Makarova keeps her cool (she doesn't always). She's certainly a good server and hitter, and I wouldn't be shocked if Sharapova stumbles against her.

BTW, did anyone else see that Genie has blasted Sharapova in the Canadian media, saying that Sharapova's a cheater and never should've been allowed to play the sport again? Ha! I have a feeling Sharapova will remember that remark should they ever play again...

Genie needs to just shut her mouth and start winning matches. Something she hasn't done in months (unless you count the 2 ITF matches she won)

LuuKyK

Genie really should start paying more attetion to her carreer though, which seems to be about as over as it gets. I like her, but girl...

Also, Maria destroyed the journalists that tried to throw passive-aggressive question at her in the post match conference (her answer to that guy from The Sun omg). She really gives no fucks. :lol

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a Bouchard fan, but she's right. Sharapova should never have been allowed near the sport again.

d+pad

I'm not a Bouchard fan, but she's right. Sharapova should never have been allowed near the sport again.

Because a drug she legally took for 10 years suddenly joined the "banned" list for no other reason than "too many athletes are taking this drug right now"? (It's never been proven to help athletes in any way, as far as I'm aware.)

Regardless, you're allowed to your opinion. I am glad you have no say in whether or not Sharapova is allowed to play the sport professionally, though :)

Also, Maria destroyed the journalists that tried to throw passive-aggressive question at her in the post match conference (her answer to that guy from The Sun omg). She really gives no fucks. :lol

Can you link to this? I'd *love* to read/hear it XD

Top Bottom