• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

d+pad

WTA rankings are weird. how is Muguruza no 4 and Aga no 7?

I'm not sure I understand this question. I mean, yes, Aggie is a crafty player, and fun to watch, but she loses all the time, especially at majors. Garbine, on the other hand, won the FO last year, plus she tends to make deeper runs at the majors than Aggie. Given that, their current rankings make perfect sense to me.

That said, this could change soon. Garbine has been losing early a lot this year, and if she does the same at the French, she'll likely drop quite a bit in the rankings.

Of course, some of the same could be said about Aggie. She just doesn't make that many deep runs at tournaments, especially these days.

Sadly, the WTA is a complete mess at the moment. Even Kerber and Pliskova are having a hard time winning tournaments right now. That's why I'm excited about the comebacks of Sharapova and Azarenka. Both are far more capable of winning regularly and consistently than the current crop of contenders.

LuuKyK

Genie peaked for that match. lmao

Great intensity and fight from both. Another tough loss for Maria, but she is playing well.

d+pad

Didn't I say earlier today that Sharapova and Azarenka were the only ones capable of winning regularly and consistently? LOL!

Granted, this was only Sharapova's second tournament and sixth match back, but still.

Honestly, this is more of what I expected from Sharapova in the early part of this comeback. Too many double faults, too many errors, some nerves.

Anyway, good on Bouchard, I guess, even though I can't stand her. What on earth will happen in the world if she somehow upsets Kerber?

Also, now I want to hunt down video footage of the handshake (or lack of?) at the end and both players' after-match pressers XD

LuuKyK

Didn't I say earlier today that Sharapova and Azarenka were the only ones capable of winning regularly and consistently? LOL!

Granted, this was only Sharapova's second tournament and sixth match back, but still.

Honestly, this is more of what I expected from Sharapova in the early part of this comeback. Too many double faults, too many errors, some nerves.

Anyway, good on Bouchard, I guess, even though I can't stand her. What on earth will happen in the world if she somehow upsets Kerber?

Also, now I want to hunt down video footage of the handshake (or lack of?) at the end and both players' after-match pressers XD

Would it really be an upset though considering they played four times and Genie won all four? Lol Genie destroyed Angie 61 62 at the french open.

The handshake was fine.

d+pad

Would it really be an upset though considering they played four times and Genie won all four? Lol Genie destroyed Angie 61 62 at the french open.

The handshake was fine.

Are you kidding me? I would've assumed Genie'd never beaten Angie O_O

Of course, Genie *hadn't* beaten Maria before today, so that means Angie will win tomorrow (or whenever they play) and all will be right with the world.

BTW, what on earth was up with Maria's serve today? Zero aces and 9 doubles? Looks like old Maria may be back :( (This was the first match of her comeback where she hit more doubles than aces.)

Ricker

Great win for Genie,this should help her confidence and all after the awful start to the season...we shall see soon enough as she meets Kerber next lol...

But this was bad for Sharapova because she will also need a wildcard for Wimbledon now, no qualies.

Great win for Genie,this should help her confidence and all after the awful start to the season...we shall see soon enough as she meets Kerber next lol...

But this was bad for Sharapova because she will also need a wildcard for Wimbledon now, no qualies.

Has Wimbledon already selected their wildcards for the main draw?

d+pad

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading (or hearing, on TV) in recent days/weeks that the cutoff for Wimbledon (in terms of direct entry) happens after Rome. So I think it's still possible Sharapova could get into Wimby without a wildcard should she do well in Rome.

Regardless, I have a feeling Wimbledon will give her a wildcard into the main draw. French is more up in the air, as the president of the French tennis assoc. is a vocal critic of doping and the like.

Still, it would seem strange to me if either Slam decides against giving her a wildcard into the main draw. Despite the kind of messy defeat today, Sharapova's shown she's still clearly one of the better/best players in the world. She handily defeated Makarova and Vinci in Stuttgart, beat an in-form Lucic here, and narrowly lost to (should have won against) Mladenovic in Stuttgart, who went on to win the title.

The only reason to not give her a wildcard at this point is if the folks in charge think she needs to continue to be punished. Which is their right, to be honest, but it may not be to their benefit (in terms of lost TV revenue, etc.)...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic in serious trouble with almagro. won the first set 6-1, but now trailing 0-3 in the third.

on the bright side, it is almagro, so it's not that bad until it's like 1-5.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Shit cracks me up.

i

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I had a feeling Paire was going to beat Stan today. More surprised at Zverev beating Cilic, that's a nice win for him.

Hoping Nadal-Kyrgios is a good one.

Top Bottom