• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

??IV 3D remake to DS

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this cinematic rpg shit is what ruined the genre for me for awhile, I cant stomach RPGs that are too cutscene driven (well I did enjoy DDS1/2 but that's because the gameplay was rocking) anymore, making watch me watch 30-40 minutes cutscenes is not my idea of fun.

gimme my mute main characters, let me name my characters, let me ****ing role play you know, gimme choices, gimme multiples endings based on my choices etc... etc...

oh and this thread is about DQ4/FF4 possible remakes, keep the FF7 talk out of this plz :)

Eteric Rice

RevenantKioku said:
I like good game play. And good stat systems. And even failing all that give me a moderately interesting story and maybe I'll grant you a few points. FFXII failed on so many accounts it's not even worth me getting back into. That said, if the LB is retooled enough for FFXIIi, I'll probably bite. Third time buying FFXII...I'm such a whore. :D

I'm...I'm trying to draw the correlation but no...it's just not there.
Okay, why is FF7 not "made" to be a portable RPG? Why wouldn't Xenosaga work on the PSP? You know, a system you can PUT TO SLEEP IN THE MIDDLE OF LONGASS CUTSCENES IF YOU NEEDED TO!

How to make ANY RPG portable.

Step 1: Add quick save.

Done!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TheJollyCorner said:
it's because of Kawazu... isn't it? :D
Kawazu is on my "I <3 you but seriously guy, c'mon" list until new SaGa is announced.

Avalon

Tabris said:
BTW, Dragon Quarter is my 5th favorite RPG of this generation and how wasn't it cinematic? It was pretty focused on the story. I mean the whole game is modeled towards re-playing to get those SOL's to further the story/learn more.

Because it wasn't? It was about dungeon crawling and strategic battling. Everything else was a neat little bonus. The SOL system rewarded you for playing well, it was part of the gameplay. It wasn't just something that happened without any effort on the players side.

Error said:
this cinematic rpg shit is what ruined the genre for me awhile, I cant stomach RPGs that are too cutscene driven (well I did enjoy DDS1/2 but that's because the gameplay was rocking) anymore, making watch me watch 30-40 minutes cutscenes is not my idea of fun.

gimme my mute main characters, let me name my characters, let me ****ing role play you know, gimme choices, gimme multiples endings based on my choices etc... etc...

oh and this thread is about DQ4/FF4 possible remakes, keep the FF7 talk out of this plz

**** YES. There are so many things in modern RPGs that do everything to keep the player from being immersed.

Tabris

Okay, why is FF7 not "made" to be a portable RPG? Why wouldn't Xenosaga work on the PSP? You know, a system you can PUT TO SLEEP IN THE MIDDLE OF LONGASS CUTSCENES IF YOU NEEDED TO!

How long is your commute? Do you commute over an hour? If so, a cinematic RPG would be awesome for your portable. If not, then I don't understand the point. Portable gameplay is all about short sessions. I mean imagine you are playing, Sephiroth is coming down to kill Aeris (btw, Sephiroth kills Aeris) and your train stop arrives. It doesn't make any sense experiencing any cinematic RPG like that. Including a FFVI remake imo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This whole "portable" RPG thing is kind of bunk. I mean, we discuss games well-suited for portability in any other genre, but here all you have to do is add quick save and we're good to go?

Look at Valkyrie Profile on PSP. The game opens with a 40 minute cutscene basically. There's not a lot of room to make that game portable. I played it mainly at my desk. That's an example of an RPG that doesn't work well in the portable space.

FFIV on GBA, with fast battles, 0 load times, and essentially no cutscenes worked, conversely, extremely well.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Tabris said:
How long is your commute? Do you commute over an hour? If so, a cinematic RPG would be awesome for your portable. If not, then I don't understand the point. Portable gameplay is all about short sessions. I mean imagine you are playing, Sephiroth is coming down to kill Aeris (btw, Sephiroth kills Aeris) and your train stop arrives. It doesn't make any sense experiencing any cinematic RPG like that. Including FFVI imo.
Then I pause, go on with life, and come back later.
Do you read books? What happens if you get to a good part, but oh no! You're train has arrived at it's destination!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RevenantKioku said:
Do you read books? What happens if you get to a good part, but oh no! You're train has arrived at it's destination!

I have never cracked out my copy of War and Peace for 10 minute bus rides!

RevenantKioku

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I have never cracked out my copy of War and Peace for 10 minute bus rides!
Maybe you should! It's like quick little Tolstoy orgasms.

Tabris

Error said:
this cinematic rpg shit is what ruined the genre for me awhile, I cant stomach RPGs that are too cutscene driven (well I did enjoy DDS1/2 but that's because the gameplay was rocking) anymore, making watch me watch 30-40 minutes cutscenes is not my idea of fun.

oh and this thread is about DQ4/FF4 possible remakes, keep the FF7 talk out of this plz :)

Incase you didn't think about how ironic your post was, let me refresh you... FFIV had a vocal main character, you had no choices at all, no roleplaying at all, you couldn't play the game differently and had the exact same ending on every play through.

You were put on a set path to play the game how it was designed. A story from point A to point B played the same exact way each time. Isn't this the same as new cinematic RPGs but instead of pressing A to scroll through text you just watch it now?

RevenantKioku

Tabris said:
Incase you didn't think about how ironic your post was, let me refresh you... FFIV had a vocal main character, you had no choices at all, no roleplaying at all, you couldn't play the game differently and had the exact same ending on every play through.

You were put on a set path to play the game how it was designed. A story from point A to point B played the same exact way each time. Isn't this the same as new cinematic RPGs but instead of pressing A to scroll through text you just watch it now?
This is ironic because...he wasn't talking about FFIV?

Tabris

RevenantKioku said:

I don't read novels on the bus because I take a 10 minute skytrain ride, so I read the paper instead (short bursts), but I used to take a 45 minute skytrain ride and the difference is when you are reading, you are following along with it and know where it's proceeding

With a cinematic RPG, you don't know when the story will progress. It's gameplay that's then interupted by the story, then back to gameplay.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
RevenantKioku said:
The connection is where I'd like to play neither of them on a portable...

*runs*

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This whole "portable" RPG thing is kind of bunk. I mean, we discuss games well-suited for portability in any other genre, but here all you have to do is add quick save and we're good to go?

Look at Valkyrie Profile on PSP. The game opens with a 40 minute cutscene basically. There's not a lot of room to make that game portable. I played it mainly at my desk. That's an example of an RPG that doesn't work well in the portable space.

FFIV on GBA, with fast battles, 0 load times, and essentially no cutscenes worked, conversely, extremely well.
I agree. I think RPGs like Valkyrie Profile should be played on a TV instead of a 4" screen, while games like FFIV or DQ really lend them-selves to portables.

Error

Tabris said:

my last comment has NOTHING to do with the rest of the post, I was trying to get this thread back on rails.

RevenantKioku

Tabris said:
With a cinematic RPG, you don't know when the story will progress. It's gameplay that's then interupted by the story, then back to gameplay.
Well, then we're stonewalled at the point that I can take a break even while Sephiroth is mid-thrust, and you can't.

Tabris

Error said:
my last comment has NOTHING to do with the rest of the post, I was trying to get this thread back on rails.

...but you're talking about cinematic RPGs ruining the genre and you want games like *all those attributes*. Well I brought it back to the RPG in the subject's question, to bring it back on rails, FFIV has none of those attributes. It's point A to point B, gameplay broken up by story scenes. Exact same as the cinematic RPGs you are saying ruined the genre. What's the difference between a story scene where you press A to read text for 20 minutes versus a story scene where you watch the story for 20 minutes?

Why are you in this thread if you don't like games like this? Because calling out cinematic games for not having those attributes is calling out FFIV for the exact same thing.

I love FFIV, it was my second RPG played where I actually knew it was an RPG and what I was supposed to be doing (I had played DW and FF on NES but that was above my head back then). I want it to get the best treatment ever if it's going to be a remake. It's a fantastic game!

Error

Tabris said:
...but you're talking about cinematic RPGs ruining the industry and you want games like *all those attributes*. Well I brought it back to the RPG in the subject's question, to bring it back on rails, FFIV has none of those attributes. It's point A to point B, gameplay broken up by story scenes. Exact same as the cinematic RPGs you are saying ruined the industry. What's the difference between a story scene where you press A to read text for 20 minutes versus a story scene where you watch the story for 20 minutes?
where did I say cinematics rpgs ruined the industry? you should go back and read my post again.

Tabris said:
Why are you in this thread if you don't like games like this? Because calling out cinematic games for not having those attributes is calling out FFIV for the exact same thing.
maybe because the rumour of a DQ4 remake for DS makes me excited? maybe just maybe :)

RevenantKioku

Tabris said:
...but you're talking about cinematic RPGs ruining the industry and you want games like *all those attributes*. Well I brought it back to the RPG in the subject's question, to bring it back on rails, FFIV has none of those attributes. It's point A to point B, gameplay broken up by story scenes. Exact same as the cinematic RPGs you are saying ruined the industry. What's the difference between a story scene where you press A to read text for 20 minutes versus a story scene where you watch the story for 20 minutes?
vagina.png

Why are you in this thread if you don't like games like this?
Maybe you didn't notice, but this thread is also leaning towards that it's not FFIV, but DQIV. And I know for a fact Error is a DQIV humping fanboi.

Tabris

Error said:
where did I say cinematics rpgs ruined the industry? you should go back and read my post again.

Re-worded industry to genre which is what I meant in the first place.

Also that's great if you like DQIV. I think that would be a better fit for the DS and mainly because DQ9 is coming out on the DS. I'm always a fan of a single franchise being released on a single platform. DQ4 was the first one with a party of 4 right? or was that 3? It's been a long time.

It would be awesome if they did some kind of your save from this game gets you this in the other game. Like Suikoden > Suikoden II > Suikoden III or Arc the Lad. Those are awesome. Or like Golden Sun! (password system)

KTallguy

Banned
Tabris said:
How long is your commute? Do you commute over an hour? If so, a cinematic RPG would be awesome for your portable. If not, then I don't understand the point. Portable gameplay is all about short sessions. I mean imagine you are playing, Sephiroth is coming down to kill Aeris (btw, Sephiroth kills Aeris) and your train stop arrives. It doesn't make any sense experiencing any cinematic RPG like that. Including a FFVI remake imo.

How about pausing the cinematic? Putting the PSP/DS on sleep mode? Having an option to repeat the cutscene if in sleep mode? Etc. etc. etc.

Oh sorry, I forgot that cinematic handheld games are strictly forbidden!!

Oh and BTW I commute by bus and train every day, and I have to change from a bus to a train. So when I have to transfer, guess what? I pause my game !

ethelred

oh my god what the **** is wrong with you people?

This is like a mirror image of that awful, awful Dissidia thread from last night.

RevenantKioku

Tabris, my fragile ego needs confirmation that you cannot stop when Sephiroth is mid-thrust.

Tabris

RevenantKioku said:
Tabris, my fragile ego needs confirmation that you cannot stop when Sephiroth is mid-thrust.

Oh, of course not, I would have to experience the full scene to understand the human flaws of each character involved before I could continue on. :)

In all semi-joking aside (I do think the game has a couple really interesting dynamic characters that deal with some more human situations/feelings/thoughts than the traditional save the world, but that's spread over the entire story), I just wouldn't want to be really into a story and have to put the game into sleep, and go to work for 8hrs. Same reason I can't play a game like that at home for 30 minutes before heading out.

tnw

Banned
RevenantKioku said:

sephiroth? mid-thrust?

wait?! what are you implying? are you telling me sephiroth kills someone?

Y2Kevbug11 said:

FF4 Advance's battles were a little on the slow side due to the port-side bug(s).

And Tabris, I'm not following you. You didn't seem to care about FF6 getting a serious aesthetic upgrade, and now you're wanting one for FF4. (At least in terms of voice acting and well-proportioned models.)

cvxfreak

jj984jj said:
Lies, Capcom doesn't use roman numerals in their Biohazard series.

Oh, but they do now! See, in Japanese, Umbrella Chronicles is written it KATAKANA! So in Japan it'll be Biohazard IV DS Edition!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
Oh, but they do now! See, in Japanese, Umbrella Chronicles is written it KATAKANA! So in Japan it'll be Biohazard IV DS Edition!
Oh that's right! I forgot they were changing it up for non-gamers! Now they'll think it's a FF title and buy it, Capcom is so smart. Weapon changes on the touch screen is going to be sweet!

Comic

So, to summarize the thread...

It's FF4 remake!

Maybe not!

Does that mean it's DQ4?

No, it's really FF4.

I don't think so.

Hey guys, maybe both?

What about Ogre Battle? It could be a remake of Ogre Battle!

FF7 on a HANDHOLD?!?! It's more likely than you think.

Guys, cinematic rpgs suck.

No way, they're awesome! But not on a handhold.

I can pause my games anytime.

I can too, but I don't enjoy it.

Okay guys, what just happened? Where is this thread going?

I don't know anymore.

So, to summarize the thread....

FFIV? Booooring, same old useless thing once again...
DQIV? Booooring, DQIV is as old as FFI,II,III... why not DQV & DQVI? They've never been released outside Japan and they're much more modern the DQ1-4...

Nibelung Valesti said:
FFIV? Booooring, same old useless thing once again...
DQIV? Booooring, DQIV is as old as FFI,II,III... why not DQV & DQVI? They've never been released outside Japan and they're much more modern the DQ1-4...

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom