• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

??IV 3D remake to DS

Jonnyram said:
I don't think they did - I think both are coming...

That'd be highly interesting, and it'd be nice to have a non-hackportjob but this would be, let's say an extremely new development.

Because there's something else in addition.

Dragona Akehi said:
That'd be highly interesting, and it'd be nice to have a non-hackportjob but this would be, let's say an extremely new development.

Because there's something else in addition.
ungggh you are a horrific cocktease

Baryn

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
It would look better.
Uh huh

finalfantasyiiipic2xn9.jpg

The FFIII engine works for FFIII, but I don't think it would do FFIV's vast scope justice.

Catchpenny said:
Have you taken a look at FFVII this decade? Ugly, ugly game.
So how is translating it onto weaker 3D hardware with lower resolution supposed to qualify it for a remake?

Eteric Rice

Baryn said:
Uh huh

finalfantasyiiipic2xn9.jpg

The FFIII engine works for FFIII, but I don't think it would do FFIV's vast scope justice.

So how is translating it onto weaker 3D hardware with lower resolution supposed to qualify it for a remake?

Actually, the DS has games that look a lot better than most Playstation games. Dragon Quest IX is a good example of what they could do with it, now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Baryn said:

If the NDS is a weaker hardware than the PS1, it sure has a hard time showing it.

StevieP

Banned
Baryn said:

Uh... the DS has 2 CPUs available to it (66mhz ARM9, 33mhz ARM7). The PSX had a 33mhz RISC CPU, not to mention about half the usable RAM. Aside from the lower resolution, you don't have much of an argument here.

An FFVII remake on the DS, aside from its lower resolution/compressed FMVs, would have the potential of looking a lot better on the DS than it did on the PSX.

StevieP

Banned
jett said:
FFIV deserves better than a FFIII-style 3d remake on the DS.

Yeah, Square should sink a massive budget into it and make it on the PS3. I think all 3 million of Sony's worldwide userbase would buy another FF remake.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
VS looks better than anything on DS, but it is an end-of-life title that is literally brimming with style.

That opening cutscene, man...that STILL looks good. It's just so stylized.

DS' biggest problem-- for me-- remains its lack of texture filtering. It easily outclasses the PSone in other areas, but when the textures look like they do, it is difficult to really see the forest for the trees.

jjasper

StevieP said:
Yeah, Square should sink a massive budget into it and make it on the PS3. I think all 3 million of Sony's worldwide userbase would buy another FF remake.

Sure what about psp/wii/360. All of which would be better than having it on the ds

StevieP

Banned
jjasper said:
Sure what about psp/wii/360. All of which would be better than having it on the ds

I highly doubt FF remakes are going to be given any sort of substantial budget or marketing push at this point. Even a well-coveted FFVII remake would be doubtful going to any consoles. I mean... aren't people sick of FF yet? A minimum 10-15 million dollar budget for that kinda multiplatform development is out of the question, I'd think, at this point.

DS' biggest problem-- for me-- remains its lack of texture filtering. It easily outclasses the PSone in other areas, but when the textures look like they do, it is difficult to really see the forest for the trees.

What kind of texture filtering did the PS1 have? The DS hardware outclasses the PS1 in almost every important way - nostalgia notwithstanding. It's point texture filtering is its weakness, sure, but blocky textures were quite at home on the PSX as well.

jett

D-Member
StevieP said:
Yeah, Square should sink a massive budget into it and make it on the PS3.

A next-gen remake of FF4 with a massive budget would be a dream come true, it's my favorite rpg ever. :rock

john tv

FFIV doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering they just released an FFIV remake on GBA less than two years ago. Not entirely out of the question, but...

DQIV, on the other hand, sounds very possible. I put my money here.

Y2Kev

StevieP said:
What kind of texture filtering did the PS1 have? The DS hardware outclasses the PS1 in almost every important way - nostalgia notwithstanding. It's point texture filtering is its weakness, sure, but blocky textures were quite at home on the PSX as well.

You're kind of missing my point. First, I stand by what I said about Vagrant Story. It's not nostalgia. I just replayed the game.

The larger point is that the DS does outclass the PSone in most areas, like pushable polygons and effects in hardware and such, but without filtering, I find it hard to really see any huge improvement. As I mentioned, VS stands up to anything on the platform thus far, but I also mentioned that one caveat: it's a late-life playstation game by a fantastically capable team. Remaking FFVII on DS would be, to me, a nearly lateral movement graphically.

Of course, they could tinker with the gameplay.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
john tv said:
FFIV doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering they just released an FFIV remake on GBA less than two years ago. Not entirely out of the question, but...

DQIV, on the other hand, sounds very possible. I put my money here.

That would make more sense.. but this is still SE we are talking about.. if they announced FFIV again I wouldn't be shocked.. :lol

StevieP

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
You're kind of missing my point. First, I stand by what I said about Vagrant Story. It's not nostalgia. I just replayed the game.

The larger point is that the DS does outclass the PSone in most areas, like pushable polygons and effects in hardware and such, but without filtering, I find it hard to really see any huge improvement. As I mentioned, VS stands up to anything on the platform thus far, but I also mentioned that one caveat: it's a late-life playstation game by a fantastically capable team. Remaking FFVII on DS would be, to me, a nearly lateral movement graphically.

Of course, they could tinker with the gameplay.

vs_11.jpg

You're right, there are a lot of DS games that look much worse than Vagrant story. But an equally talented team on the DS COULD do better.

However, I fully agree with you that FFVII-R on the DS wouldn't represent a massive over the PSX version, unless the team is REALLY good (and has a proper budget)... but at this point, Square doesn't care much about how far improved their remakes are. As great as the GBA releases are, many of them also represent near-lateral improvements.

Y2Kev

I don't understand what you're attempting to say with 1 photo blown up to 640x480. I'm pretty sure the game didn't run at that resolution. I might be wrong though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QXXjW_5gxCA

Is a better cross section of the game.

I don't even want to argue this. :) Think what you like.

ethelred said:
That is correct. There's no reason to think such a thing would happen -- no evidence to suggest anything of the sort. Kitase, the producer in charge of the series, has made his development priorities well know, and they don't align towards the DS.

Meanwhile, Square Enix has already engaged in several PSX/PS2 ports/remakes, and they've been for the PSP, not the DS. It's easier, cheaper, a better form of media for these particular conversions, it would enable them to add content to the game instead of struggling to get it all in, it's a better system, the ports have been financially viable, there's more than a substantial userbase there and one more aligned towards the audience this particular game needs (it is already getting CC: FFVII, after all).

There's no reason to suggest Kitase's suddenly going to dramatically change course in his handling of the Compilation of FFVII, no reason to suggest the company will relieve him of this aspect of control (not as long as he continues to be the most successful producer in there next to Horii), no reason to suggest the PSX-->PSP ports will suddenly switch to PSX-->DS (when there are numerous reasons why that would not be a sensible or reasonable course of action).

But hey, I guess in a world full of purple skies and rainbowy sunshine all sorts of crazy things can happen.

You genuinely dislike Nintendo, don't you?

StevieP

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't even want to argue this. :) Think what you like.

vagrantstory_7.jpg

Would you prefer another character close-up at 320x240? Point being, as pretty as the game was in its time, the DS is capable of besting it. It's alll in the developers and how well they can use the hardware.

You genuinely dislike Nintendo, don't you?

Nah, it's ethereld. Sorta like a crankier, less sarcastic AniHawk.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
StevieP said:
The DS hardware outclasses the PS1 in almost every important way
That depends on what you define as outclassing. PS1 had a faster GPU then DS (and without the weirdo limitations). May not be much in light of more primitive featureset - but I'm not the one talking about "outclassing".

Hell, people argued for 6 years about GC vs XBox even though the latter had 2-3x performance advantage in just about everything as well as featureset advantage. So it's all relative, really.

Manjimaru said:
DQ4 on DS ?
Where's the logic ?

DQ4 => PSX => DS
DQ5 => PS2 => DS ?
DQ6 => DS ?
DQ7 => Wii
And :
DQ9 =>DS
DQ10=>Wii
I wouldn't think about the future porting until this is official. And when it is, we should have the answer right there.

FFVII is Kitase's. Kawazu's got the earlier games, but Kitase still controls VII and its world, especially as the game is at the core of an active, ongoing compilation project.

just to note, the only FF ports/remakes Kawazu ever had anything to do with were the initial WSC releases of FF1&2. He wasn't involved with any of the later PS1/GBA/DS/PSP stuff.

also, Kitase worked on FFV and VI Advance.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Thermite said:
I have never played Final Fantasy IV so I'm definitely going to purchase this.
But there is nothing to purchase! :O
:(
DQVII portable plz.

ethelred

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:

I understand that, but what alternative did he have? He couldn't very well have ported SNES games to the PSP. Square Enix knows better than that.

Tobor

ethelred said:
I understand that, but what alternative did he have? He couldn't very well have ported SNES games to the PSP. Square Enix knows better than that.

Sounds like someone woke up on the sarcastic side of the bed this morning. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Does Kitase wield any power behind the board of management? I understand he is a producer and all but judging by the way Square Enix has been running lately I don't think we'll see a FFVII remake on PSP if Kitase has no decision making power when it comes to the "original" FF's on console or handheld due to the amount of $$$ involved. Each iteration or remake has come out first on the leading platform at that current time (not counting FFI, II and IV for Wonderswan, we all know why).

May be a slight chance for a PS3 remake due to the demo that they showed awhile back but I think the greenlight for it all depends on whether FFXIII can lift some boats up from the bottom of the ocean.

For those of you wanting a FFVII remake on DS, you may as well just go and play the damn thing on PS1 because that's what the end product will finish up like.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Rufus said:
Women.

JOKING! OK?!
The fear is strong in this one.
ethelred said:
GBA ports of WSC games are being ported to the PSP. How does that make your cherry feel?
speedpop said:
For those of you wanting a FFVII remake on DS, you may as well just go and play the damn thing on PS1 because that's what the end product will finish up like.
I tried, but the PS1, she's not as portable as she could have been. ****ing morans who designed this thing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Manjimaru said:
DQ4 on DS ?
Where's the logic ?

DQ4 => PSX => DS
DQ5 => PS2 => DS ?
DQ6 => DS ?
DQ7 => Wii
And :
DQ9 =>DS
DQ10=>Wii

logic?

Well first of all keeping DQ very Nintendo centered (if X does indeed come to Wii after IX goes to DS) also FFIV just had a remake... so even for Square it might be too much beating of that horse we all love

RevenantKioku said:
The fear is strong in this one.

As it should be

duckroll

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
just to note, the only FF ports/remakes Kawazu ever had anything to do with were the initial WSC releases of FF1&2. He wasn't involved with any of the later PS1/GBA/DS/PSP stuff.

What did Kitase do on FFV and VI Advance? I know tht Nomura did new sprites for them, but as far as I know Tokita's team was doing all the ports and stuff. Poor guy, but hey he directed Bouncer so.... :)

duckroll said:
What did Kitase do on FFV and VI Advance? I know tht Nomura did new sprites for them, but as far as I know Tokita's team was doing all the ports and stuff. Poor guy, but hey he directed Bouncer so.... :)

"Send Tokita to the iron maiden!"

linsivvi

SE should just make FFVIIr multiplatform to pimp the maximum amount of money. They know this is their biggest cash cow among all cash cows.

Tabris

Hmmm, I rather it have on the Wii personally if it were to go to a Nintendo system. I think a game like IV needs a cinematic facelift as it's more story driven than III. No job system, just a traditional RPG with an engaging story.

I mean how awesome would the scene where you find out the secret about Golbez/Cecil be with voice acting and 3d realistic graphics? Very awesome is the answer.

Top Bottom