• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After playing RE5...is forced co-op really a necessary gaming trend?

Paracelsus

Level design is what I don't like of this game. It's just one "map" after another, a fight after another, there's no mansion/lab/city/facility to explore, no secret to unveal. Totally boring design slave of the coop mode. It's not like I miss enigmas that much, it's just that going alone through the whole game is boring for me. I'm waiting for my friend to go with the second playthrough, otherwise I'd just file the game on the shelf forever.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Haeleos said:
No it's not. You are saying you hate that Resident Evil 5 has co-op, I'm saying the game having co-op has nothing to do with the single player game. You SHOULD be able to enjoy the single player game without having to worry about co-op, but co-op should still be available for those who want to play it.

But it DOES affect the single player, that's my whole point. It affects how the game is designed, how it plays out, it doesn't matter if the AI is a genius or stupid. I don't want to have to waste my time wondering what my partner is doing, what items/ammo they're wasting or how they plan to get themselves killed. It's fucking annoying to me, so I dislike how it's shoe-horned into RE5, the latest in a series of games that decidedly do NOT feature this predominantly. The only one that even came slightly close to this was RE0 and not surprisingly, it's my second least favorite of the series (with RE5 taking the crown as of today).

I said I hate that Resident Evil 5 was designed for co-op to be the main way to play the game, with single player being largely secondary, even if I didn't put all of those words together in that exact sentence.

RurouniZel said:
My definition of "force co-op" is a game that is clearly designed to be played with another person, with playing single player as a secondary feature. This is especially annoying when it's thrown in a series that has long been predominantly single player.

I don't think there's anything wrong with online co-op. But it does not belong in Resident Evil 5.

Majmun

thetrin said:
Co-op isn't the issue here. Crappy crappy AI is the issue. They could have given you no co-op and still had Sheva in there. This isn't the first time two characters have been fighting side by side in an RE game.

Co-op in RE0 is different. You can control both characters and both characters can go to different locations.

I don't get why people complain about co-op in games. Co-op makes everything more fun. Though, I guess if you don't have any friends, co-op is hard to appreciate.

The co-op concept seems to always be the same these days: shoot at things together. Lots of things

Pretty tiring imo.

MoxManiac

thetrin said:
Co-op isn't the issue here. Crappy crappy AI is the issue. They could have given you no co-op and still had Sheva in there. This isn't the first time two characters have been fighting side by side in an RE game.

I don't get why people complain about co-op in games. Co-op makes everything more fun. Though, I guess if you don't have any friends, co-op is hard to appreciate.

I dunno, the co-op focus had it's effect on the overall design. The areas are much more streamlined and straightforward now.

Mamesj

Banned
The game is also too actiony to have RE0 style co-op. Having the other guy just sit there and do nothing while you're shooting zombies with guns off motorcycles would be awkward.

Some games have areas where you need two people to access. There's a sign there that says "need a partner to access this." Like in LBP. RE5 could have had that in the sections where you give Sheva a boost.

Dthomp

I think the better question here is why would some of you say you'd skip this game if it didn't have co-op? That sounds completely moronic skipping games because you lack the ability to play a game by yourself and need some other guy playing with you. Sad

Gaogaogao

no, I really just want better single player games. please continue designing single player games without a co op mindset around having 2 characters. I think it would be better with resident evil specifically with just one character, it does make things more tense and harder to manage, which is why the controls are the way they are.

Zefah said:
There are plenty of people who bought the game because it was so co-op centric, but there are also people like me, who even though they are long time fans of the series, have still not bought the game because they don't really intend to play it cooperatively.
I'm in this boat. I've been a fan of RE since RE2 hit the N64 but 5 will not be finding it's way into my collection due in part to the co-op design. I'm also in the boat with those who don't have enough time or serious gaming friends to be able to regularly play a game co-op and I've found playing with strangers more hassle than it's worth usually. I also prefer the old advantage of video games, I can play them whenever and however I want. Although I should add from what I've played and read of RE5, co-op isn't the only reason I'm skipping it. I wouldn't buy it even if Sheva "insta-death" Alomar was absent from the single player mode. Yeah I know I'm missing the story but I can either read it online or get the cliff notes version in UC3.

That being said, I'm not going to ape the co-op fans in here and insist every game be single player only and co-op should only be a secondary option since that's what I prefer. The problem isn't that co-op games exist, but that they seem to be increasingly crowding out good old fashion well written story based single player games. Even long-time single player based interconnected franchises aren't immune. It's not like single player only games aren't selling anymore or as others have said with a little more effort the two couldn't be better blended.

fernoca

I'm the opposite..
fernoca on 3/13/09 said:
Been a fan of the series since day one with the Resident Evil game in the large case and the 'The Punisher'-like Chris in the cover..

And..HOLY ****!! (FUCK!) .. :p
Awesome game so far...incredible visuals, great sound/music..each chapter looks and feels different than the previous one (starting 3-1 right now)...tons of extras..darn..and that's single player only for now.; plus to top it all constant teases to the overall Resident Evil storyline, and even the loading screens reminding you what happened in the previous years (only game I wish loading screens were longer.. :p )

Overall exceeded my expectations, thought after the demo I was going to find the game boring and play the first chapter and then go to sleep since I've only slept like 4 hours between yesterday and today (thanks to working at 5AM...).

Co-op to me, never felt forced..heck,loved it and always saw it as an extra rather than the main focus, and still managed to love every aspect of the game...
fernoca on 3/15/09 said:
Just finished it!
17 (hours) 49 (minutes)..[though half was single player, the other half was co-op with a friend doing some of the chapters all over again]

Right with the REmake as my favorite Resident Evil game! Amazing game!!!
Heck, just started the game again on Veteran..and Sheva kicks some nice ass in Atack Mode with a a Magnum with Infinite Ammo.. :lol ..and like when I played it on normal, I playing it on Single player..if I end playing it in Co-op, well that's another story..I'm just glad that the option is there.

It was quite great not only playing co-op basically the entire game with a long time friend, but playing it with the one that introduced me to the Resident Evil games over 10 years ago. :) (and he loved every aspect of the game too; he just started collecting all 30 emblems, because he wants to unlock all items mostly Sheva's 2nd alt..which says a lot considering that he;s the kind of gamer that when he finishes a game, never touches it again)

diss

Banned
I hate bits like in Gears of War 2 where you had to shoot the reavers before they bombed the satellite array. It was particularly annoying on the harder difficulties because the reavers take so much more damage and AI Dom refuses to man the other turret.

I like it when AI Sheva, or AI Dom can revive me sometimes when I go down.

In a more perhaps... unusual opinion, I like that I can just put Sheva to work on the turrets
when fighting Irving on the boat
while I kick back and press A and X every now and then. Yes that's right, I'm too lazy to actually play the game bitches!

Amir0x

Banned
I wouldn't have enjoyed the game as much without co-op and now want co-op in all future Resident Evil installments and will be disappointed if it isn't included so... it's fine by me.

Resident Evil 4's fun for me wasn't gained from horror or the sense of isolation - it was from fine tuned action gameplay married to its tweaked control and perspective changes. Resident Evil 5 builds upon that framework and elevates it to a out-and-out action game with cursory horror elements. I don't mind that at all, since that's what I prefer.

I know there's some people who hate co-op and think "IT'S NOT RESIDENT EVIL IF YOU'RE NOT ALONE WITNESSING THE GENERIC HORRORS AND REALLY CRAPPY PUZZLES", but I only care what I want in games and RE5 is what I want.

Bring on the Resident Evil "reboot", though... :)

Top Bottom