• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 launch massively down from WD1 in UK.

carlsojo

What were some of the advertised improvements on this game versus the original?

remote control drive cars

pick up cars with a bulldozer/lift

remote control a shitty robot

a drone

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEM_YBvfVlo
Here's the a bunch of the gameplay videos. The dev is like AND YOU JUST PUSH A BUTTON AND YOU BECOME A FORKLIFT AND YOU CAN LIFT UP THE CAR

Not Drake

It looks like it's not that hard to introduce a successful new IP. Maintaining a property and building a franchise seems a lot more challenging. It's pretty damn sad to see these improved sequels (add TF2 and Dishonored 2 on top of WD2) perform poorly. I'm having a blast with Watch Dogs 2 personally.

benzopil

People just bought digital versions because they know this game is amazing and they won't need to trade their discs.

I hope.

Is a sequel selling worse than it's predecessor in the UK really news anymore? (Not to disparage the OP).

Sales over here are down in general. It's a huge drop off though, no doubt about it.

I only made this one because it is a categorically giant drop. We are talking under 1/4th of the original

Maybe I'm one of the few that enjoyed the original but I didn't care for buying the 2nd. Lack of any anticipation for it and probably feeling burned out on open world/Ubi style collectathons means I just didn't care another one got made.

noobie

Banned
So Sony did the right thing by delaying Horizon Zero Dawn and GTS from Holiday 2016 to 2017.

2016 is turning out to be not so friendly so far. i worry for FFXV

Watch Dogs and Titanfall probably saw huge sales because they were new IP and hyped to hell and back. Both also were regarded as very disappointing so it seems like the sequels are taking hits because of it. Word of mouth is going to have to be very good.

Also just thinking of how Destiny 2 is going to perform.

Titanfall was not regarded as disappointing at all.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There goes Watch Dogs 3's happy-go-lucky tone. I expect them to switch gears to try to get back the crowd who liked what the first game promised.

it'll be truly doomed then. watch dogs 2 seems to be received well and a lot of people hate the first one. if they go back to that then good luck to them.

i think watch dogs 1 was way over hyped. i don't think these sales will be anything to worry about. a lot of people will be wary of it but if people are enjoying it hopefully that'll help it in the long run. also maybe more people are going digital? and the game isn't fully released. i'm in the UK and waiting for the PC version.

way too early right now for all the doom and gloom.

ubi is the king of mediocrity, its about time people stop blindly buying their games

Looks as though that's the case now. AC, WD and FC? are all underperforming franchises on a downward spiral.

Ubi needs to come out with something new and refreshing than boring old collectathons.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think that download sales are much higher this time around. Retail is slowly getting insignificant. I can't imagine sales plummeting this much seeing that WD2 is actually better than WD1.

patapuf

Damn, all I'm reading lately is X down, Y down, Z down. This gen started promising, but right now it seems that too few games really wow people. Everything feels so safe, maybe too safe.

Yeah, it feels like a bad Fall period for sales. A lot of sequels see sales decline and new stuff doesn't seem to hit all that hard.

Though the UK market as a whole seems pretty down this year. Not sure if the drops are quite as big in the rest of the world.

benzopil

Looks as though that's the case now. AC, WD and FC? are all underperforming franchises on a downward spiral.

Ubi needs to come out with something new and refreshing than boring old collectathons.
WD2 doesn't even have collectables. Yeah, you can take photos for ScoutX, but it's fun.
WD2 feels new and refreshing already.

It reviewed well and fixed a lot of what people didn't like about the first one. People in the OT saying it's their GOTY, both people that liked WD1 and others that hated it. I have yet to open my copy since I'm waiting for the seamless multiplayer to be reimplemented.

The bad news is this is one of the rare situations where they listened to the complaints and improved the sequel.

Probably too little too late. People seemed burned from the first to be put off by the franchise big time and marketing/hype was none existent. Ubi simply couldn't do an AC and turn the franchise around this time. Which is what they would have needed to do.

I truly believe that Pokemon Sun & Moon will be the only big franchise games this Autumn that won't be down from its predecessor

T-0800

Watch Dogs and Titanfall probably saw huge sales because they were new IP and hyped to hell and back. Both also were regarded as very disappointing so it seems like the sequels are taking hits because of it. Word of mouth is going to have to be very good.

Also just thinking of how Destiny 2 is going to perform.

Destiny 2 will be big.

WD2 doesn't even have collectables. Yeah, you can take photos for ScoutX, but it's fun.
WD2 feels new and refreshing already.

Fair enough but if people aren't aware and are put off my the name/gameplay of the original a sequel that had poor marketing wasn't going to bring people back in.

They'd have been better off scrapping the WD branding and coming out with a whole new IP at that point.

Animator

I got the first one day one but have no interest in buying this one even though it sounds like an improvement over the first. It just failed to generate any interest from me.

Gaming in general is in decline?

Or...

UK consumers are feeling the pinch as wages have stayed more or less stagnant for the last 15 years but cost of living has risen substantially in that time. So even though the 'economy' seems just about ok, the economy only represents the rich, big business. The common man here is worse off each year that passes. That's capitalism for you. So people are perhaps spending money on other things more important than games, and that could be other products as high-street sales were up last week compared to last year or something.

Watch Dog 1 was the Assassin's Creed of Gen 8. A pretty looking game with barely no alternatives on Gen 8 machines (and a huge Gen 7 install base). Now it's Gen 8 only with loads of competition. Even with better reviews it was a given that it would drop saleswise in xomparison with WD1.

Mrbob

Now matter how much better WD2 is I'm not interested in playing UBISoft The Game once more.

Can't say I'm surprised by lack of sales. Uninspiring first game and no hype for sequel.

Social

Let's also not forget that Watch Dogs 2 happens to feature a black protagonist. This probably really affects sales.

Over on the forums for Steam, a streaming service through which people will be able to play the game this fall, though, nearly every single conversation about Watch_Dogs 2 was about Marcus’ race. In the now-closed thread titled “Shoehorned black character why can’t we be Aiden?” hundreds of disgruntled fans vented their frustrations about how “implausible” it would be for a black person to live in San Francisco.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/watch-dogs-2-and-the-steam-users-who-hate-black-people/

http://n4g.com/news/1918066/racist-gamers-are-pissed-off-with-watch-dogs-2s-black-protagonist

Strings

Mario x Rabbids is clearly going to be the next great idea that puts them on top!

Let's also not forget that Watch Dogs 2 happens to feature a black protagonist. This probably really affects sales.

Eugh, do we have to go there? Especially with Mafia 3 as the immediate counterpoint?

It's obviously racism, not the shitty first game /s.

dracula_x

Fifa, Maffia 3, Battlefield performed better.

Other sequels that did well this year are Doom, Dark Souls 3, Forza Horizon 3, Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted 4.

Not sure about Doom. It was heavily discounted after launch (like $20-30 off). They even released demo, which means a lot in these days :)

Necro900

Ubisoft open world fatigue + not exactly an excellent track record = this

Also, people are not buying full price "more of the same" titles anymore, I think.

They will go out of their way and spend 60 bucks on something completely new and "unknown" (see NMS) rather than pay full price for the latest assassin's creed or watch dogs, which they know will be 30% to 50% less in three months anyway.

As for me, I really can't think of a more unappealing title right now.
It doesn't help that I hated basically everything they showed since the reveal, as it looked like a game built from the ground up to be edgy, kewl and, of course, iconic.

Not surprised. Went to a few shops this weekend and every store had wd2 as the 'number one' selling game in the chart, yet loads on the shelf. Bf1 and gta5 on the other hand seemed to be flying off the shelves. Lucky to see any in stock anywhere.

In fairness I think gta 5 finally had a price drop but even so, that game has crazy longevity, amazing.

Top Bottom