• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 launch massively down from WD1 in UK.

sjay1994

Watch Dogs 1 sold so much I find it hard to believe they'll just drop the franchise like that without giving it one more try.

So did the original red steel. Then again, most of the red steel creatives are on for honor now. Probably some aspects of watch dogs might carry over to something new. But if the sales are abysmal, the chances of a third are really low.

Behlel

Watch Dogs and Titanfall probably saw huge sales because they were new IP and hyped to hell and back. Both also were regarded as very disappointing so it seems like the sequels are taking hits because of it. Word of mouth is going to have to be very good.

Also just thinking of how Destiny 2 is going to perform.
Destiny is a total different story because all the expansion have made very good number and the fanbase is happy with the game (the total opposite for the division, aka the destiny killer lolz ).

Son Of D

FFXV and Pokemon are the last major releases right? I know TLG is next month but that seems to be quite niche. Curious to see how those two fare.

Also, these threads always are about the UK.

Is it because they release their numbers first? Or is the UK just stopped buying games?
UK release numbers on Mondays.

So did the original red steel. Then again, most of the red steel creatives are on for honor now. Probably some aspects of watch dogs might carry over to something new. But if the sales are abysmal, the chances of a third are really low.

Yeah but Ass Creed Syndicate sold low as hell too and they are still making another one. Red Steel didn't sell nearly as well as Watch Dogs 1.

LiamR

A lot of spiteful people in this thread who haven't played the game and just wanted it to fail for no good reason. That's a shame.

Watch Dogs did suck, but the sequel is much improved and deserves better.

Mr. Tibbs

Let's also not forget that Watch Dogs 2 happens to feature a black protagonist. This probably really affects sales.
Eurogamer:
Mafia 3 has scored a huge opening week in the UK charts, with sales up 58.7 per cent on Mafia 2.

Washington Post:
The risk paid off: 2K Games’ parent company, Take Two Interactive, reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in 2K Games's history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold and shipped more than 4.5 million copies digitally and to retailers in its first week, the company said.

VentureBeat:
“Total consumer spend on software, hardware, and accessories grew by 6 percent compared to October 2015,” NPD analyst Sam Naji said in a statement. “The release of popular titles such as Battlefield 1, Mafia III, and Gears of War 4 helped to increase software spending by one-third, offsetting declines in spending elsewhere.”

A lot of spiteful people in this thread who haven't played the game and just wanted it to fail for no good reason. That's a shame.

Watch Dogs did suck, but the sequel is much improved and deserves better.

+ 1

Actively wanting a game to fail isn't good for the industry.

Watch Dogs is a somewhat fundamentally flawed concept. It's a superhero game with lame superpowers. It's not that such an idea couldn't be fun to play. It's that it is very hard to market it. As a result it comes off as a pale GTA pretender.

Yeah, but those mid budget games people are hoping for? The big publishers will keep not making them. Because mid budget games are not what the big pubs (or whoever will replace them) do.

I don't think we'll ever go back to the variety at retail in the PS2 days. If you want that, you'll have to go digital. Just like now. In fact, if there's one thing a crash will do, it's establish digital as the default way to buy videogames.

Oh I'm perfectly happy with the games that are out there, I know where to find great mid-budget stuff. Nintendo, handhelds, japanese games, indies.

I wouldn't miss the current western AAA space and would be curious as to what would replace it though.

sjay1994

Yeah but Ass Creed Syndicate sold low as hell too and they are revamping it for the next release. Red Steel didn't sell nearly as well as Watch Dogs 1.

Yeah, but AC is a long running franchise. Its almost 10 years old, while Watch dogs is only 2.

There is more interest from a company standpoint to try to save something that sold well in the past, opposed to something that doesn't and it still young.

I have less money than I used to, I didn't like the first game and in general I'm getting annoyed by open world titles.

I have no reason to get the game, no matter how much it has improved.

Jumeira

Banned
The hipster hacker thing really is off putting for me, extreme desperation to look cool. And Ubi open world taint doesn't help.

Titanfall 1 opened at No 1 with around 900k in the US and Titanfall 2 opened at 9th and has to be around 50-150k. This is not a UK thing, we just get weekly reports from UK is all. TF2 has been 22nd and 23rd on most played Xbox One games.

As for Watch Dogs, its quite similar to Titanfall, incredible hype from events and shows before the consoles launched that is hard to replicate and seemingly next to no marketing dollars for the sequels.

Only thing I've seen for Watch Dogs 2 is a couple of dull dev playthroughs. Watch Dogs 1 well its not even several orders of magnitude more.

I also think the marketing spends on these games is a reason why they're down (not the only reason)

with Titanfall 2 and Watchdogs, there was probably half or a quarter the marketing for both titles, i think that has affected the sales.

Games like No Mans Sky, Mafia 3, Uncharted 4e tc got their sales, but also had massive marketing campaigns here in the UK.

Thats one reason Destiny 2 will do well, Activision, will market the shit out of it.

Also interesting that two fo the biggest bombs WD and TF both had massive first party marketing deals - Sony and Microsoft both helped hype them up, and people ask why companies do marketing deals.

+ 1

Actively wanting a game to fail isn't good for the industry.

Between this and the recent failure of Assassin's Creed Ubisoft might actually be motivated get creative with their software development and stop using virtual tourism as a crutch. Also I didn't actively root the game fail, but I can't say I'm disappointed.

Floex

I thought it would do better but not unexpected. Like people say the first burnt a lot of people, for me I was open to giving it a second chance but as soon as that marketing started... it was just embarrassing. It felt like try hard the game, when you have a show like Mr Robot and the cyberwarfare you have today, you a fantastic concept to be made around. Instead they played to the lowest common denominator.

Putty

Down or not, i'm loving it 8)

Maybe now's the time publishers look beyond Q4 to release their titles....For me personally i'd love the whole year to be averaged out rather than be Q4 heavy....No lulls...always something just around the corner....titles given a bit more time to eek out a good performance....

I'd like to think download sales are way up.

They're certainly going to be up by a significant proportion since WD1 launched, but nowhere near enough to make up for this massive drop in retail sales. It's probably in the 30% region, putting the total still around 115,000 for the UK. And also, we get fucked on digital pricing here in the UK so I wouldn't be surprised if the actual digital percentage for UK download stores is a lot lower than 30%. That figure seems to be standard for North America, where digital pricing matches retail stores. It's fucking £55 on PSN, while it can be bought online for £40 (probably cheaper) and on the high street for £42.

sjay1994

I thought it would do better but not unexpected. Like people say the first burnt a lot of people, for me I was open to giving it a second chance but as soon as that marketing started... it was just embarrassing. It felt like try hard the game, when you have a show like Mr Robot and the cyberwarfare you have today, you a fantastic concept to be made around. Instead they played to the lowest common denominator.

I knew it wouldn't sell as well as the first, but the fact the sales are so abysmal kinda sucks. I understand why it is, the "hispter hacker tone" is pretty niche and feels like a parody. I was pretty against it, but it did win me over eventually as I played.

Its a lighter tone, and I think that works better for an open world game.

But still, I totally understand if people are turned off by the games tone. Despite all the improvements to the game, I knew from the get go the tone would probably the make or break in terms of reviews and probably sales.

Chris1

They're certainly going to be up by a significant proportion since WD1 launched, but nowhere near enough to make up for this massive drop in retail sales. It's probably in the 30% region, putting the total still around 115,000 for the UK. And also, we get fucked on digital pricing here in the UK so I wouldn't be surprised if the actual digital percentage for UK download stores is a lot lower than 30%. That figure seems to be standard for North America, where digital pricing matches retail stores. It's fucking £55 on PSN, while it can be bought online for £40 (probably cheaper) and on the high street for £42.
it's actually higher than 30% in America. The average worldwide is 30 brought down by places like the UK.

I don't see how that's so surprising, this whole hipsterness theme was very unappealing to a lot of people.
This is me. Liked the first one and was buying the second until I saw it. Way too hipster for me.

DocSeuss

Pretty sure the game's sales are down either because:

A) the first game damaged its own brand because it was just plain bad

B) It seems as though the sales of many major releases have been down in the UK across the board.

patapuf

Oh I'm perfectly happy with the games that are out there, I know where to find great mid-budget stuff. Nintendo, handhelds, japanese games, indies.

I wouldn't miss the current western AAA space and would be curious as to what would replace it though.

It's just that crashes are usually bad for an industry. Not some cleansing force of good.

The big money parts of an industry will always be much more cynical and safe unless it's really small (which it was during the first few crashes).

Just came in here to say I told you so, and then leave in a really cool way without looking back at you again.

IBR6m.gif

Personally think that's a shame,the original was poor on so many levels,while the sequel is a huge improvement over it.Oh well,it is what it is.Doubt a third will appear,unless US/Worldwide numbers are strong

Watch Dogs and Titanfall probably saw huge sales because they were new IP and hyped to hell and back. Both also were regarded as very disappointing so it seems like the sequels are taking hits because of it. Word of mouth is going to have to be very good.

Also just thinking of how Destiny 2 is going to perform.

I really don't think Destiny 2 will get hit by this trend of sequels performing below par. It has a very loyal fanbase and seems to have really strong player retention. Also, the expansions seem to have been pretty successful so far.

I have high expectations of Destiny 2.

Despite the critical disappointment, the retention and awareness of Destiny remains very strong despite lack of a HUGE major leap forward update. I think it's probably the only one in the Class of 2014 Disappointments that came out weak but didn't lose its player base and managed to retained the core audience it built.

If marketed well, I think it can sell better than Destiny 1 which sold gangbusters.

Look man, I'm beginning to feel there's no point in me being here any more. Any time I go into a topic to reply I scroll down and see a comment from you, and it's basically the same thing I was going to say but articulated better.

This is what happens when you try to create a yearly franchise out of a bland game. It didn't help that the wd1 downgrade left a bad taste.

Watch Dogs 1 was two and a half years ago.

Auctopus

It's no surprise the first one was so hyped and pretty much the first real next gen game we all saw, it was a let down from the hype and people felt burned. Add in all the other games out you can see why it's bombed compared to the first.

Second post nails it. It's not a huge surprise, the good reviews will mean it will have legs.

KHlover

Banned
FFXV and Pokemon are the last major releases right? I know TLG is next month but that seems to be quite niche. Curious to see how those two fare.

UK release numbers on Mondays.
Pokemon Sun/Moon is Nintendo's most preordered game ever and they already shipped 10mil copies to retailers, so it seems their holiday will be quite successful - WW at least. Will be interesting to see how it fairs in GB specifically tho, I agree.

barybll

Banned
I don't see how that's so surprising, this whole hipsterness theme was very unappealing to a lot of people.

This was me

The entire flair of WD2 just sounded like a desperate attempt of appealing to teenagers or the "lol so random!" audience
Like an old guy who dress up as a 16 year old boy and say "hey fellow teens"

It was extremely unappealing to me

Theorry

Not really surprise. The first one was way to overhyped. Everybody bought it and it didnt live up to the hype. So people gonna be more cautious and not gonna buy it on release. Should do better over time after good reviews and good worth of mouth.

US data will be interesting. I could imagine this SF hacker hipster style being a much harder sell in Europe.

If Watch Dogs 2 has proven anything it's that "hipster" truly has lost all meaning.

I watched Angry Joe look at skinny jeans and he went on to complain about it being way too "hipster".

Just came in here to say I told you so, and then leave in a really cool way without looking back at you again.

IBR6m.gif

Yeah man, I'm really surprised by this, so please feel free to get all in my face with the 'told you so's. I know we didn't make an avatar bet, but if you can find a good pick of Seagal taking someone down and squeeze that down to a little thumbnail image I'm happy to wear it until Christmas.

Personally think that's a shame,the original was poor on so many levels,while the sequel is a huge improvement over it.Oh well,it is what it is.Doubt a third will appear,unless US/Worldwide numbers are strong

I'm pretty sure there would be a third regardless of how this one did. Watch Dogs 1 sold over 10 million copies which is incredible for a new IP, and even if WD2's sales are ultimately disappointing they would probably make a third game leaning heavily on the more serious ImcyberBatman po-faced nonsense of the first game.

You might have a point if this was the only big sequel to crash and burn, but almost every major AAA sequel has opened down on its predecessor in the UK over the last year. I doubt the race of the protagonist has anything to do with its sales outside of a small but vocal racist corner of the internet.

Top Bottom