• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who have pre-ordered: How was your Switch Pre-order experience?

bomblord1

Banned
Something I was curious about I'm just trying to gauge interest anecdotally through the eyes of fellow gaffers.

Going by some apparently overzealous estimates of interest by some I showed up at Gamestop 1 hour before opening and was the only one there. By the time they opened and everyone was inside there were around 7 people in a 24 allotment store. There were actually about 9 but 2 of them made a bee-line for the 360 games so I'm not sure if they were actually there for the Switch.

Judging by this initial interest I fully expect them to be sold out by the end of the week if not the end of the day seeing as at least 30% of their allotment was gone within a few minutes of opening. So although some of the initial "it will immediately be sold out everywhere" estimates were wrong the interest still seems healthy. I was able to talk to some of the people there and it seems Zelda was what sold it for them and none of them had a negative reaction to the conference which was comforting (I was seriously starting to think I was the only one who enjoyed it).

Something odd that happened and I quote the blue/red joycon version apparently "disappeared from the system" right after they opened. Both workers had it pulled up before hand and neither could find it after. They were able to find the gray one though after the system had apparently refreshed.

Easy peasy.

Locked in pre-orders last night from both Walmart and Best Buy. Looks like both will have it available for pick-up day one.

Friend of mine locked in GameStop this morning, Eastern time.

I've also heard those going to GameStops in person are finding plenty of stock.

jmaine_ph

My local GameStop had 18. I went 30 mins after they opened and traded in 3 games that covered my Switch and Zelda Pre-Order

Stayed up until 4am...but got a Switch and the Master edition Zelda SKU so I'm happy enough.
Kind of want to pre order locally at best buy to get it day one since Amazon is slow to ship anything here, but at least I have that set

Krakn3Dfx

So far so good, Pre-order at Best Buy shortly after the show. No hassle as of yet.

The hassle comes when on 3/2, you get a notice that they took too many pre-orders and will let you know once your system has arrived.

I expect to experience the same hassle myself.

gweemz

Got two easily from Best Buy online but I am worried that they will cancel one/both of them. Gonna go to Gamestop at lunch and hopefully be able to preorder there, so I can cancel one of my Best Buy orders.

Are people running out of switch related topic to discuss? lol

It's like when someone is clearly trying to walk away from you and you try to cram as many words as possible into sentences before they finally walk off

Just a matter of time until Modbot arrives

UCBooties

Got the Neon pre-ordered from GS around 8:15 EST. We'll see if it sticks. Painless so far, but I have no faith I'll actually get it on time.

A lot of F5ing on two different sites until I got through. Got to the order review page on amazon then tried confirming it only to be told it was sold out. Then I got through on EBGames, but goddamn I hate their shipping. Not sure I'm keeping my pre-order though, cause fuck $450.

amazon.ca tried to screw me over, but was still to able to get one, bestbuy.ca went easy

and was the first to get a preorder for the neon switch instore at ebgames

Got one at BB for in store pickup and one on Amazon just to be safe. Super easy. I do feel for the people who weren't able to be up at 3am when Amazon put up the hardware.

oatmeal

Banned
Got it at Best Buy for pick up.

Super annoyed about the Master Edition of Zelda going up in the middle of the night. Ridiculous.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Chrome auto refresh extension on amazon. Went to sleep. It played orchestra music indicating the page changed so I rolled over and clicked preorder and went back to sleep.

All in all 9/10 would go to sleep and roll over to preorder again.

maxcriden

Got one as a backup through Best Buy.

My wife got one outside Atlanta at Gamestop this morning. She got there 1/2 hour early and I think there was one person in line before her and four after.

If they do a midnight launch and we don't go, will they still have the console for you in the morning or is it possible they'll give or sell it to someone else?

Cruxist

Gamestop was smooth, surprisingly. Was hoping for Amazon, but everyone was sold out when I went to check. I hate paying for day one shipping, but I'll survive.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Pre-order experience?
JNDA_f-maxage-0.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
^^^
yeah, kind of a weird thread, lol.

Woke up and found that Amazon pre-orders quickly sold out.

Didn't expect to order one until they got restock, then went to work and checked around. Saw that Gamestop had them up and pre-ordered one with Zelda. Nice to see that this doesn't appear to be at Nintendo Classic Mini levels of insanity...unless some of these sites are taking pre-orders for other shipments coming later on and not saying anything.

Missed amazon by 15 minutes. Strolled into Best Buy when they opened and pre ordered at customer service for in store. Only $50 down. Let me pre order both skus (one for my best friend who is coming home) for $100. Can't complain

LightJak007

Neo Member
I ended up getting 3 Switch consoles, one for a friend, one for my brother and one for me. All of them on different sites (Best Buy, Walmart, and Amazon). Bound to get one on Day One, I think! haha

I wasn't able to get the Master Edition of Zelda though. I ordered the Special Edition instead.

it was fine. I thought amazon would put it up today at 5pm est but refreshed all night just be certain, and lucked out. They were up for an hour so plenty of time for those awake. Sorry to those who werent. After Amiibo, I learned that if you want something, you have to sacrifice sleep in order to be free and stress free. And by free, not really free because I'm a slave to materialistic things lul

I'm surprised that stores already have allotments of units for pre-order rather than a general ability to pre-order the item. Having said that I've never pre-ordered in store before so this may be the normal process no matter what the release date is...

Hyoukokun

Relatively painless as these things go. Went to the Gamestop nearest my office, waited in line for ~30min with 20-30 other people, got my preorder. I suspect they will run out of preorder spots before the end of the day, but I don't think they were out just from the people waiting in line when the door opened.

Went to my local Gamestop (53 Allotment store) an hour early thinking there would be a line. I was the only one there. By the time 10 rolled around someone else showed up. The items weren't even in the system yet, they had to do the preorder by punching in the SKUs manually.

Employees were surprised the price was 300, they thought it would be higher.

Checked amazon after the switch presentation last night, not available. Went to bed. Woke up and tried again, sold out. Fuck!

Luckily Target had some. Wish I didn't have to pay for shipping to get it on release day, would have preferred amazon, but whatever. Target actually says I will get it on the 2nd which doesn't seem right.

bigkrev

Got Walmart and Best Buy with no issues last night, and drove to Gamestop this morning after the gym, and got there 3 minutes after they opened. There were 2 people in the store making preorders, and they were preordering a dozen games and every accessory under the sun, taking 15 minutes each. I got to the register, made my preorder, and was out the door 30 seconds later.

Went to my local Gamestop (53 Allotment store) an hour early thinking there would be a line. I was the only one there. By the time 10 rolled around someone else showed up. The items weren't even in the system yet, they had to do the preorder by punching in the SKUs manually.

Employees were surprised the price was 300, they thought it would be higher.

of course they said this...

Stock is well in supply thankfully.

Went to Gamestop at 8AM, was the only one there, by 9 two others had shown up and by 10 about 10 people in line, they had 34.

I work across the street from the Herald Square NYC Gamestop. Got there ~20 mins before open, was about 10 or 12th in line. By the time they let us in at 10, the line had about doubled, but nothing crazy.

They said they were getting ~40 neon Switch consoles, and ~100 gray. I preordered a neon for $50, threw $5 at another set of Joy-Cons, and $5 for Zelda. They also said they were only getting 23 copies of the Master Edition Zelda:BOTW.

The line was nearly out the door by the time I left.

Top Bottom