• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hyrule Castle was the only place that let me bomb a wall down like old times.

So this is after twilight princess, yeah?

Deconfirmed, by a stone tablet found along Zora's River.

History of the Zora, Part Five
The Sage Princess Ruto
As told by King Dorephan

Long, long ago... in a past more distant than even the Great Calamity or the creation of the Divine Beast Vah Ruta...

There was a Zora Princess named Ruto.

We know that she was an attendant to the Zora patron deity and that she was a fair and lively girl, beloved to all. Around the same time, an evil man with designs on ruling the world appeared, bringing disaster upon Zora's Domain. It is said that Ruto then awoke as a sage, facing this foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend. Her achievements are remembered not only by the Zora, they are also forever etched in the history of Hyrule.
The Divine Beast Vah Ruta, built ages later to face off against Calamity Ganon was named in honor of Ruto. That the Zora princess—my sweet daughter Mipha—was chosen to pilot Ruta is surely the work of fate.

The battle with Ganon depicted here does not occur whatsoever in the Child Timeline, as Ganondorf is instead subdued and sentenced to execution (before being banished to the Twilight Realm). Ruto is never awakened as a sage. Additionally, Hero of Time Link isn't recognised as a hero in the Child Timeline since he only faced Ganon and succeeded in the Adult Timeline.

More interestingly, the tablet seems to also confirm that the first battle against Calamity Ganon 10,000 years ago occurred well after the time of OoT (and presumably other games).

Zekes!

BotW to me feels like it's purposefully removed from the other games in the series. Like there's references to other games and such (as there would be), but it feels like a fresh
Sheikah
slate in some ways.

Galava

BotW to me feels like it's purposefully removed from the other games in the series. Like there's references to other games and such (as there would be), but it feels like a fresh
Sheikah
slate in some ways.

Yeah, seems like up until now there have been all this timelines in one universe and that now we are experiencing some kind of "new universe" in which the events of past games happened in a different way or didn't happen at all. A new unified timeline that doesn't actually rely on past games.

So my idea is that the new timeline could look a bit like this.

SS --------------> OoT --------> TP --------------------> Creation of Sheika Tech -> Ganon defeated with the beasts and guardians ------> Sheika tribe vanished --> Technology is forgotten -------- 10,000 years -------> Discovery of ancient technology --> Calamity Ganon destroys Hyrule -- 100 years --> BotW

It follows the adult timeline.
Didn't include MM because it seems it didn't really happen in reality and that was CT.
We can add WW if needed, but the outcome needs to be that Hyrule is restored instead of sunk in that case.

Fact check me please. :p

RetroMG

Sheikah
slate in some ways.

Definitely. I almost feel like it's a reboot. The funny thing about BotW is, when I think about the things I love about Zelda, (Long, involved dungeons, epic story, gradually gaining more items to become more powerful) Breath of the Wild does none of those things well. And yet, I love it. I can't stop playing it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm sure I'll be shot down on this one, but part of me wonders if this isn't just "inspired" by the 1st Zelda game but is rather a re-imagining/remake/reboot of it, but with tons of stuff from other games added simply to take into account all of the stuff that's been added to the franchise since Zelda 1 (like the various races of Hyrule, the ruins of the Temple of Time, Koroks etc.). Like, for example

1) The first NPC you interact with directly (not telepathically) is an old man, just like Zelda 1 (he's even in the shade under a rock rather than just out in the sunlight to make it almost like a nod to how Zelda 1's old man is in a cave)
2) The focus on unguided exploration in an (at the time) massive world.
3) The emphasis on hidden out of the way shrines that aren't obviously sign-posted (in the same way that many caves in Zelda 1 were discovered by burning random trees or pushing random rocks)
4) The way the proper dungeons in BotW are very samey in the way that Zelda 1s dungeons are all pretty samey too (outside of color swaps they all basically follow the same pattern in Zelda 1).
5) The placement of the Master Sword is more in line with the location of A Link to the Past, which is in the same timeline as the Zelda 1 and 2 that come after it.

Hell, in the ending Zelda specifically refers to Link as the "Hero of Hyrule" which is a nod to the Link from Zelda 1 and 2.

If not that, I wonder if it's the equivilent to a Zelda 1 but for a different timeline, like the TP timeline. Maybe it takes place in that timeline, but at the time that Zelda 1 takes place during its timeline?

The Zelda canon is hard. >>;

cyba89

It's been over ten years since Twilight Princess and we still don't have a new Ganondorf design.
Smash will have to use that old one forever.

watershed

Banned
To me this game is at the current end of the timeline. This world of Hyrule has a history that encompasses basically all previous games. Calamity Ganon in particular seems to be a creature that has obsorbed so many different technologies and cultures. I love the mix of magic and tech in Ganon's design that, to me, suggests a long history.

Astral Dog

It's been over ten years since Twilight Princess and we still don't have a new Ganondorf design.
Smash will have to use that old one forever.
That always seemed a bit off to me,because i think the Zelda team should not be (even) more creatively limited to come up with a new Ganondorf design for Super Smash Bros. (Toon Ganon is amazing but he wouldn't fit for example)

I think Link could work well with his new Wild design while having a different green costune as option.

And Ganondorf,actually it was not long ago he recieved a new look too.fuck the canon.
_t0LgcdEOCgNUJSv4w19pyg74F2BybgBeIKa4FJpbtAZN_TAD3uXt343mgFr-_5Qin1vqW4BxRGfnRWDAXUvtnsNMml1qorPtTJEIjMUXlBJAMc2M1F2yO6kYrJQtfYaHpjBij3EvMQTnKh5OCLc-71cWHMTrxCFcTqVOf0iG_ZENb6rRGQyplfbOslonL7AXGNm5ywu-A=w347-h424-nc

13ruce

Banned
That always seemed a bit off to me,because i think the Zelda team should not be (even) more creatively limited to come up with a new Ganondorf design for Super Smash Bros. (Toon Ganon is amazing but he wouldn't fit for example)

I think Link could work well with his new Wild design while having a different green costune as option.

And Ganondorf,actually it was not long ago he recieved a new look too.fuck the canon.
_t0LgcdEOCgNUJSv4w19pyg74F2BybgBeIKa4FJpbtAZN_TAD3uXt343mgFr-_5Qin1vqW4BxRGfnRWDAXUvtnsNMml1qorPtTJEIjMUXlBJAMc2M1F2yO6kYrJQtfYaHpjBij3EvMQTnKh5OCLc-71cWHMTrxCFcTqVOf0iG_ZENb6rRGQyplfbOslonL7AXGNm5ywu-A=w347-h424-nc

That's TP Ganondorf with grown out hair honestly:p
But yeah badass Hyrule Warriors is canon for me.

Astral Dog

That's TP Ganondorf with grown out hair honestly:p
But yeah badass Hyrule Warriors is canon for me.
Yeah well they can have it as a new costume at least ;) with moves inspired from HW in the next Smash.

and Calamity Ganon had the same face but even longer hair

klier

Guys, how do I find the Lord of the Mountain mount again when I fail taming it the first time? I scared it off and now it's gone :(

Crayolan

Guys, how do I find the Lord of the Mountain mount again when I fail taming it the first time? I scared it off and now it's gone :(

Get the shrine nearby and just hope you see the green haze on top of Mt. Satori in the future. When you do see it again, teleport back there and try to approach from above. Pretty sure you need 3 stamina wheels (stamina healing food can be used to cheat though).

Alienous

Finished it.

Disappointed that I didn't get to see Ganondorf, especially considering how the Gerudo are portrayed in the Breath of the Wild aesthetic. The in-game explanation is that the 'Ganon' force that persists through reincarnations decided "Nah", right? I guess that makes sense.

Hyrule Castle, as an area, was a little disappointing - but maybe I screwed that up for myself by taking the advice to a traveller and approaching the building from the back.

EDIT:

On the Final Boss - I'm glad it wasn't hard. I'm glad they didn't even attempt to make it difficult. I find that a difficult final boss can kill the momentum of an ending. I much prefer something that attempts an emotional context, and I think Breath of the Wild did a good job there. Scale, spectacle, triumph.

klier

Get the shrine nearby and just hope you see the green haze on top of Mt. Satori in the future. When you do see it again, teleport back there and try to approach from above. Pretty sure you need 3 stamina wheels (stamina healing food can be used to cheat though).

Thanks!

Anteo

So anyone remembers, way before release there was talk about one quest saying something about the hero of time?

Im searching for it but I cant find anything, I remember there was some discussion about it here on gaf. Im wondering if the script of the game changed near the end and thats why we ended up with that +10,000 years number.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So anyone remembers, way before release there was talk about one quest saying something about the hero of time?

Im searching for it but I cant find anything, I remember there was some discussion about it here on gaf. Im wondering if the script of the game changed near the end and thats why we ended up with that +10,000 years number.
Could be the brief reference to him in the Zora tablet.

Tagg9

Dang, I think I went into the final battle too overpowered. I had fully upgraded armor, about 30 meals that fully restored my hearts plus gave me extra hearts, had the best weapons in the game, etc. There was no challenge because of that - if he hit me a few times, I just ate a meal and kept on going. For that reason alone, I'd have to say it's probably the worst final boss fight in a ToZ game for me.

I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo could have done to make it more difficult, but I'll be interested to see what the harder difficultly mode does when the DLC is released later this year.

watershed

Banned
Dang, I think I went into the final battle too overpowered. I had fully upgraded armor, about 30 meals that fully restored my hearts plus gave me extra hearts, had the best weapons in the game, etc. There was no challenge because of that - if he hit me a few times, I just ate a meal and kept on going. For that reason alone, I'd have to say it's probably the worst final boss fight in a ToZ game for me.

I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo could have done to make it more difficult, but I'll be interested to see what the harder difficultly mode does when the DLC is released later this year.

If you don't defeat the divine beasts you would have to fight all 4 other Ganon forms and Calamity Ganon with a full health bar not to mention not have the 4 abilities which can all be useful there.

For me the battle was all about spectacle not difficulty and it was very satisfying from that perspective though I see what you mean as well. I personally don't like very hard final bosses. I like the idea of the journey being harder than the conclusion.

Anth0ny

Just got all the shrines. My final side quest was the one with all the little girl birds singing a song. Adorable. And they actually sang a nice little song at the end there when I discovered the shrine.

And then the shrine was a straight up Snake Eater tribute. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Best shrine.

I also dyed the Green Tunic blue immediately. Zora Tunic all day baby.

SolVanderlyn

Just got all the shrines. My final side quest was the one with all the little girl birds singing a song. Adorable. And they actually sang a nice little song at the end there when I discovered the shrine.

And then the shrine was a straight up Snake Eater tribute. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Best shrine.

I also dyed the Green Tunic blue immediately. Zora Tunic all day baby.
Zora Tunic? You're Blue Link now.

I can't wait to dye my hat yellow and my tunic light blue.

blue-mail.jpg

Or my hat purple and my tunic red.

It shall be as it was in the beginning.

link_to_the_past_vector_alter_by_plague52x-d5zm81p.jpg

watershed

Banned
For those of you who have beaten the game, how cool looking is Calamity Ganon? I love his look. Ganon has become something else all together, and the mix of weird tech and magic is fantastic. I thought Beat Ganon was a little uninspired though.

Theorymon

For those of you who have beaten the game, how cool looking is Calamity Ganon? I love his look. Ganon has become something else all together, and the mix of weird tech and magic is fantastic. I thought Beat Ganon was a little uninspired though.

While I had a really easy time with the fight (might be more on me though, since I beat all the shrines before I faced Ganon lol), but I did think Calamity Ganon's design was actually rather chilling. It was clear to me that Ganon lost any semblance of humanity it once had. Granted, the game's bestiary said Ganon's reincarnation was interrupted, so maybe that vile thing was basically just a Ganon embryo of sorts? Still creepy though!

By the way, are there any interesting bits of lore you guys have found just sorta randomly? Stuff like the Zora texts that mention Ruto, or the backstory that Kass gives you after you do all of his shrine quests that basically flat out says "Zelda is in love with Link"? I'm interested to see if there's more stuff along the lines of that!

Ms.Galaxy

Calamity Ganon horrified me the first time I saw it, looked like it belonged in a horror game at first. Fantastic design if I must say, first time since Giygas that I ever felt legitimately threatened by a Nintendo villain just by seer presence alone.

Moff

I expected Ganon to be a real pushover after the divine beast bosses, I had all 120 shrines and a 4 star tunic of the wild and he still beat me to pulp, twice my full life basically. and I farmed silver lynels easily midway through the game. I think he was really tough. Beast Gagnon didn't to anything of course, but I see that fight just as an epic sendoff, after the intense calamity fight I was actually glad.

Loved the design of both, I also didn't mind we never got a Ganondorf, I imagine his human form has been lost ages ago, which might also explain why there are no male gerudos around, maybe Ganon needed to die first? I'm not good at zelda lore, though and don't even start with the separate timelines.

SolVanderlyn

I was expecting a fight against either his blue boar form or some weird gaseous thing like the spirit circling Hyrule Castle, so it surprised me in a very good way.

It was

200w.webp

Followed by

200.webp

With a final conclusion of

3346f60.gif

Crayolan

I thought it was really bold of Nintendo to make him into some sort of incomplete abomination. I loved how terrifying and intimidating he looked, thought it was one of the creepiest things in any Zelda game. Probably my favorite Ganon design since OoT.

Dark Beast Ganon just looked lame in comparison.

Anth0ny

I thought it looked terrible. Forgettable pink blob of ugliness. Worse Ganon design, easily.

Also they should have let us dye our hair pink in this game.

daedalius

Is there a wave arena you can get loot out of anywhere? There was the 50 level cave in TP, I think, and I enjoyed it.

I want something like bloody palace from DMC

watershed

Banned
One thing that is interesting to think about from a story/lore perspective is that the Hylians, Sheikah and champions of 10,000 years ago not only had full knowledge of Ganon but they also had a really developed (and successful) method of dealing with him. They build all the guardians to fight him, along with the divine beasts, along with Zelda and Link. They had a plan and great technology built to defeat Ganon unlike in past Zelda games where it seems like you are stitching together a desperate plan with very little support or trying to adhere to a myth that few remember.

Edit: Even the shrines were built specifically to train Link.

Rixxan

Thought the game continued after beating ganon? Saw the credits and got hit with a "The End" but my last autosave is before fighting him

Ms.Galaxy

One thing that is interesting to think about from a story/lore perspective is that the Hylians, Sheikah and champions of 10,000 years ago not only had full knowledge of Ganon but they also had a really developed (and successful) method of dealing with him. They build all the guardians to fight him, along with the divine beasts, along with Zelda and Link. They had a plan and great technology built to defeat Ganon unlike in past Zelda games where it seems like you are stitching together a desperate plan with very little support or trying to adhere to a myth that few remember.

Edit: Even the shrines were built specifically to train Link.

After the countless amount of times Ganon apparently attacked, I figure that his return is always seen as inevitable and the Hyrulians treat the return of Ganon as a coming hurricane. Makes sense that they started preparing a better strategy to combat and defend themselves from it. And hey, 10,000 years since the last Ganon attack, they clearly know how to deal with him now.

Ultimadrago

Just finished the game. Great Nintendo world, but real letdown of a story. Link shows more emotions with Great Fairy upgrades than with Princess Zelda and the Champions. What the hell?

Still the best Zelda in years, but man, I wish the effort of a backbone for the story was actually there. There were glimpses, but it really failed to setup the Champions or the new era of friends at all. Prince Sidon and the Zora portion were an exception relatively. The English voiceacting and delivery for the most part was also bad.

The game overall was very good though. Kudos to this Switch launch game! This is the quality of game that launches are made for, even in absence of much else.

watershed

Banned
Question: What do I do with the flying dragon(s)? I defeated/released the one that was poisoned with malice. The other(s?) just seem to fly around. They're cool but I don't know what to do with them.

Also, I am now a guardian slaying master. It's so fun to feel OP compared to these things that would initially blast me to death instantly.

Fandangox

Question: What do I do with the flying dragon(s)? I defeated/released the one that was poisoned with malice. The other(s?) just seem to fly around. They're cool but I don't know what to do with them.

Also, I am not a guardian slaying master. It's so fun to feel OP compared to these things that would initially blast me to death instantly.

You are supposed to hit them with arrows in specific places to get drops out of them. You can sell those drops, but they are used to Upgrade some of Link's equipment. There's also a quest related to each of those dragon's drops.

Ok guys, I'm not sure if this has come up in any of the previous pages but uh, just what is up with the Great Fairy Rank 4 shenanigans? I busted out laughing in the middle of the night when it happened the first time, just looking around my room at nobody saying "what just happened??"

PrimeBeef

After the countless amount of times Ganon apparently attacked, I figure that his return is always seen as inevitable and the Hyrulians treat the return of Ganon as a coming hurricane. Makes sense that they started preparing a better strategy to combat and defend themselves from it. And hey, 10,000 years since the last Ganon attack, they clearly know how to deal with him now.
They knew back then, 10,000 years ago. It was all legend and myth to the present kingdom until Ganon showed up seemingly out of nowhere. 100 years ago they had no clue.

I wonder if they plan on doing a game set in the 10,000 year span with no threat of Ganon.

Top Bottom