• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu |Import OT| - Can You Xanadu?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I bought the game this morning and it's really scratching that Persona itch. You can see well where it got inspiration from, but I'm really positive about it.

yeah overall regardless of the heavy influence it is a good game i do believe. will be getting back to finishing it after i clear utawarerumono off the list.

though as others have mentioned if one was expecting more action than story they may be a little let down.

Fhoenix

Finished chapter 5. The first chapter where something slightly exciting finally happens. Our team makes
a contract with Kyuubei
defeats
the evil majo
and becomes
proper mahou shoujo
. Pachi pachi.

So I am gonna go and make an educated guess about who the mastermind is (even though there is not much of an evil plan to speak of so far)
It's Saeki-sensei! He has glasses. And we all know that glasses are evil. Also he was helping with rearranging the books in the library.
Yes, speaking with NPCs ones again reveals the plot twist! If there is a plot twist. I hope there is a plot twist. This plot is too predictable.

Also sale numbers are out
http://gematsu.com/2015/10/media-create-sales-92815-10415

Parakeetman

New patch out 1.02 (20 megs)

CRVNaPdUsAAx07z.jpg

「東亰ザナドゥ」アップデートファイルVer.1.02配信中!
「オートメッセージ機能」を追加、トロフィー「SSSランカー」を取得できないことがある不具合を修正など

Fixes include Auto message function, fixed issue with being unable to obtain the SSS Ranker trophy and other fixes

Gu4n

New patch out 1.02 (20 megs)

CRVNaPdUsAAx07z.jpg

「東亰ザナドゥ」アップデートファイルVer.1.02配信中!
「オートメッセージ機能」を追加、トロフィー「SSSランカー」を取得できないことがある不具合を修正など

Fixes include Auto message function, fixed issue with being unable to obtain the SSS Ranker trophy and other fixes
It also fixes the easy money-making method through trade. I tried it last night, but selling the Rare Elements earns you 2000en instead of 2500en (making a 500en profit).

Parakeetman

It also fixes the easy money-making method through trade. I tried it last night, but selling the Rare Elements earns you 2000en instead of 2500en (making a 500en profit).

Wonder how many people will try to stop the update once they find that out lol

Kinda late to the party, and this might be a stupid question, but how does this compare to Persona? I've only really seen a trailer that was posted a month or so ago and I immediately got Persona vibes. Really hoping it gets localized.

Gu4n

Kinda late to the party, and this might be a stupid question, but how does this compare to Persona? I've only really seen a trailer that was posted a month or so ago and I immediately got Persona vibes. Really hoping it gets localized.
It generally has the same atmosphere, music and narrative structure. And though the combat system is totally different, it's just as solid. The dungeon music leans more toward Shin Megami Tensei than Persona, though. It's a great game -- I rather see myself go through Tokyo Xanadu than any of the Persona titles again.

It generally has the same atmosphere, music and narrative structure. And though the combat system is totally different, it's just as solid. The dungeon music leans more toward Shin Megami Tensei than Persona, though. It's a great game -- I rather see myself go through Tokyo Xanadu than any of the Persona titles again.

Thanks for the response. The music in the trailer was phenomenal and the graphics look great. I feel like this game would help tide me over until P5, but if it were localized, who knows... It might end up being released after P5. :(

Parakeetman

Thanks for the response. The music in the trailer was phenomenal and the graphics look great. I feel like this game would help tide me over until P5, but if it were localized, who knows... It might end up being released after P5. :(

Also check the media section as there is gameplay footage in there so should give you a general idea of how the game plays. As Gu4n mentioned, basically if one was a fan of all the non-combat related stuff in Persona they should enjoy what Tokyo Xanadu has to offer also.

Finalow

http://spwiki.net/tokyoxanadu/wikis/21.html#wcd9212e

4月17日(昼)
図書館で書籍「杜宮の風土と歴史」を入手
after obtaining it it should raise your
智
slightly.
so if I follow that 攻略チャート I won't miss a thing?

haven't played at all this week so I'm still in chapter 2.

The "next" Xanadu? And what about the winks? OK, it doesn't so much confirm anything as heavily foreshadow such an announcement.

Tsk tsk. The *wink wink* is obviously for Xanadu Next itself. The only foreshadowing here is that XN is a faaaantastic game that you all had better like or I'll cut you.

Fhoenix

The game is somewhat Personish (teenagers in a Japanese city fighting monsters). But IMHO the similarities are skin deep. It has a lot more common with first Sen no Kiseki than with Persona.
Also the tone is light and optimistic and it feels very much like reading a ranobe. Granted Persona got much lighter by the forth game, but it still has corpses and serial killers, while here enemies suck energy Sailor Moon style and I don't think I saw any blood so far.

Xanadu Next is its own game.

Parakeetman

so if I follow that 攻略チャート I won't miss a thing?

haven't played at all this week so I'm still in chapter 2.

im not exactly sure as have not checked if they updated it recently. hopefully hasemo is still watching the thread as he might have used a different wiki to do his complete playthrough.

Fhoenix

You can't do every social link/character ending during the first play-through. And to fill in the friend entries you would have to speak to everybody all the time (sometimes more than once to exhaust the dialogues). Otherwise main walkthrough has everything, I think.

Gu4n

You can't do every social link/character ending during the first play-through. And to fill in the friend entries you would have to speak to everybody all the time (sometimes more than once to exhaust the dialogues). Otherwise main walkthrough has everything, I think.
It does. It's not complete (sometimes one activity increases multiple stats while only one is specificed), but it covers the actions you have to go through.

I personally went with the female bonding events on my first playthrough and will do the male bonding events on the second playthrough. If you're aiming for the platinum trophy, you'll have to go through the game twice on both highest difficulties (or do they stack?) anyway.

Sitrus

Finished the last chapter of this now :)
I wish there was some more variation of the dungeons, but it was a very nice experience to sum it up.

Only thing left is the true ending, although I think the normal one is pretty good too, although a bit one the shorter end.

And Falcom loves breaking through with cars :)

EDIT: True route completed, it was a bit longer than I expected. There was some more post-game content including dungeons so that was great. Surprising myself, I actually liked how the "social links" worked in this title, and I think it was handled better than for example the two Cold Steels. I don't think I can see any sequels to this title, maybe some cross-overs based on the ending screen? I think someday XSEED will bring this over, there's not too much text, it's pretty self-contained and it's a great game. Sure felt some of the same feelings I felt during Trails to Zero. Also, the last few chapters were almost completely(about 80%) voiced.

I tried Hard mode back in Sora no Kiseki SC and failed horribly (lol can't get out of prologue), then started the 3rd in Hard Mode (it was hard but had a blast) and Zero no Kiseki (far easier than the 3rd but not that bad)
and also finished 1st chapter of Sen no Kiseki on hard)
, so I was expecting Hard Mode Xanadu no KisekiTokyo Xanadu to be at least be harder than Ys Celceta's normal mode.

It was so easy that I have to wonder if in Easy mode, you would just stand in the middle and the bosses would kill themselves.

Gahhh... I should have started with Nightmare mode. >____>

I am annoyed that Falcom did not offer a new game+ right at the ending, and you have to complete the goddamn epilogue (yes, I know about the true ending but can't I just do that after my second playthrough? It'd be a nice thing to top off when "finally" finishing the game and moving on to other things).

I wish Falcom to stop doing shit so you have to do two plays to "experience everything". I say this as someone who enjoys putting hours into the work they've done (hi, lovely NPCs). That doesn't make me want to play your game more, it just makes procrastinate and then move on to other games/stuff instead.

Parakeetman

I tried Hard mode back in Sora no Kiseki SC and failed horribly (lol can't get out of prologue), then started the 3rd in Hard Mode (it was hard but had a blast) and Zero no Kiseki (far easier than the 3rd but not that bad)
, so I was expecting Hard Mode Xanadu no KisekiTokyo Xanadu to be at least be harder than Ys Celceta's normal mode.

It was so easy that I have to wonder if in Easy mode, you would just stand in the middle and the bosses would kill themselves.

I am annoyed that Falcom did not offer a new game+ right at the ending, and you have to complete the goddamn epilogue (yes, I know about the true ending but can't I just do that after my second playthrough? It'd be a nice thing to top off when "finally" finishing the game and moving on to other things).

I wish Falcom to stop doing shit so you have to do two plays to "experience everything". I say this as someone who enjoys putting hours into the work they've done (hi, lovely NPCs). That doesn't make me want to play your game more, it just makes procrastinate and then move on to other games/stuff instead.

Pretty much, very rarely will I go through a game a second time. As there are far too many titles out there which still need to get done a first time to be spending more time doing the same thing over again.

Sitrus

If you have unlocked the true route, which the game will remind you of when you finish the game the first time, it will ask you to save. Load that save and watch the ending again, then choose that other option to see the true ending. No need to play it two times.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Late to the party but picked this up earlier this month and about 2/3rds through the game, just finished the intermission chapter. Playing on hard but the difficulty feels broken towards the easy side, especially for falcom with their ys pedigree.

Been focusing on certain characters' kizuna episodes and for the first time in the last chapter I didn't have enough enishi fragments to continue all the ones I had been pursuing. Do fragments carry between chapters if unused? Wondering if I could've saved some from earlier chapters. Also this game might hold the record for script with most giggles before speaking for female character lines. Starting to become jarring.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the fragments didn't carry ▄█▀█● Although in the end it didn't matter as it seems you can get a character's message card without doing all their prior events.

Finished the true end just now. Pretty satisfying game, though the dungeons were starting to overstay their welcome near the end. Was wondering why sss ranker didn't pop and it turns out there are 2nd playthrough exclusive dungeons ... д・´) Don't have the motivation for another run though so it's back to twiddling my thumbs waiting for sc evo.

Parakeetman

Yeah the fragments didn't carry ▄█▀█● Although in the end it didn't matter as it seems you can get a character's message card without doing all their prior events.

Finished the true end just now. Pretty satisfying game, though the dungeons were starting to overstay their welcome near the end. Was wondering why sss ranker didn't pop and it turns out there are 2nd playthrough exclusive dungeons ... д・´) Don't have the motivation for another run though so it's back to twiddling my thumbs waiting for sc evo.

lol yeah i rarely go through games twice dont think that will change here either (´・ω・`)

Fhoenix

I tried a little bit of infinity nightmare and didn't notice much difference between playing the first time on hard. It's unfortunate they made some dungeons second play-through only. It's nothing but padding the game. And realistically you will only unlock costumes on third play-through by which point nobody will care about them.

Kysen

Also this game might hold the record for script with most giggles before speaking for female character lines. Starting to become jarring.

Holy shit I noticed this as well, all of a sudden every female character was doing the giggle. Anyway I finally finished the first ending (will complete true later today) and this game has the slowest startup ever. For the first 25hrs it was nothing but menial stuff with the odd dungeon in between. Then the story kicks off and its constant story/battles till the end. Falcom really need to work on their pacing in games.

At least they fixed the character trophies and allowed you to collect multiple message cards in one run. I hated having to have a save early on in the Sen games just to go back and do someone else's trophy without starting the game again.

Overall this game isn't nearly as good as the Sen series, although I did prefer the action combat. At some point they should match the over arching story of the Kiseki series with the ARPG stuff from Ys.

Bebpo

Banned
Picked up Ex+ on PS4 since I never got around to playing my vita copy and might as well play the better version.

Just played through the first chapter and the first side-story chapter as the white masked guy. Was playing on hard, everything seemed fine and then the boss of the side-story was like WTF ridiculous difficulty spike when I'm only a chapter into the game and barely learning how to play.

Like the boss has this tornado move that tracks you and even if you roll dodge it once it lasts just long enough that it comes back and hits you again as you're finishing the roll animation WTF. Plus it does like 350HP damage so you die super fast. Finally beat it after like 6 tries and using HP items but that was an insane difficulty spike. I'm guessing these side-story chapters are new so they're geared thinking people have beaten the game or something and are masters of the game on this playthrough, but that's not good if you're playing it for the first time!

8PRmUbB.jpg

Otherwise, game looks really nice on PS4. Outside of the PS2 environments, game looks nothing like a Vita game. Character models in cutscenes are great. Really like the sharpness and manga style look. The depth of field cutscene effect is nice. Definitely gives a feel for what Sen III will look like.

And playing this for the first time, it's weird, the game feels like Sen II.5. Like the music and locations feel like left-overs from Sen development. Kind of neat, kind of weird. It even has the Ashen knight song in a different arrangement as the dungeon song from Chapter 1 lol

Definitely enjoying it though. Battle system isn't quite Ys level early on, but hopefully it gets better.

Parakeetman

I have it also, been sitting on my desk here all day. Have not had the time to play it yet though.

Bebpo

Banned
I was looking to see if there was a vid of anyone playing that side-story chapter 1 boss to see how they dodged the purple tornado and the only video I found was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1lVT6S2xk

~48 min mark

and he still gets hit EVERY SINGLE TIME by the purple tornado move. There's even a bit where he perfect dodge rolls it and then it comes back and still hits him. He wins the fight the same way I did, which is using a lot of items and trying to kill the boss as quickly as possible before it can do too many purple tornado attacks. That attack seems freaking broken.

Sitrus

I was looking to see if there was a vid of anyone playing that side-story chapter 1 boss to see how they dodged the purple tornado and the only video I found was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1lVT6S2xk

~48 min mark

and he still gets hit EVERY SINGLE TIME by the purple tornado move. There's even a bit where he perfect dodge rolls it and then it comes back and still hits him. He wins the fight the same way I did, which is using a lot of items and trying to kill the boss as quickly as possible before it can do too many purple tornado attacks. That attack seems freaking broken.

Running back and then to the side is better than dodging actually since dodging has endlag. It's a trap for people who dodge at reaction.

EDIT: Aside for the clarity and sharpness, it really looks exactly like the Vita version...

Bebpo

Banned
EDIT: Aside for the clarity and sharpness, it really looks exactly like the Vita version...

Sure, but the resolution and IQ bump + 60fps is pretty huge for the visuals. The dungeons don't gain much and the combat still feels built for 30fps, but the school stuff looks way nicer from the little bit I played of the Vita version last year.

I expect Ys VIII Vita -> PS4 to be about the same amount of improvement tbh.

Sitrus

Sure, but the resolution and IQ bump + 60fps is pretty huge for the visuals. The dungeons don't gain much and the combat still feels built for 30fps, but the school stuff looks way nicer from the little bit I played of the Vita version last year.

I expect Ys VIII Vita -> PS4 to be about the same amount of improvement tbh.

The 60fps is really nice indeed. Makes battle much easier.

For Ys8, I expect maybe even more. That game will be a looker on PS4 and will probably play much better do to the increased framerate. I'm looking forward to more Dana screenshots :)

Parakeetman

The 60fps is really nice indeed. Makes battle much easier.

For Ys8, I expect maybe even more. That game will be a looker on PS4 and will probably play much better do to the increased framerate. I'm looking forward to more Dana screenshots :)

If anything it should help with the slowdown that would happen on occasion.

Still what they did on the Vita was quite impressive with the draw distances of the enviro as they made good use of low poly terrain and texture work to create some really nice landscapes and vistas.

And to those too dull of wit to realize obvious sarcasm, one would have to imagine the PS4 version the localization would be held off until at least some sort of foothold is made with the Vita localization investment. Otherwise (and this is in the event if Aksys would do the PS4 ver.) they would have to bank on PS4 sales to prop up not only the PS4 investment but the Vita version too in order to pull profits for the company. That and to prevent bad will with their consumer base they would need to be careful to time it correctly as basically with how "gamers" overreact will start whining about being shafted with the inferior Vita version if the PS4 version is announced too soon, effecting the sales of the Vita version as unless said user only owned a Vita there would be absolutely no reason for them to pick up the Vita version if the PS4 eX+ version was available. As eX+ contains more than just a port to the PS4 and you would be getting less content on the Vita.

Only thing that would solve the issue and make a smoother transition when a PS4 version is done, which will obviously happen as Falcom knows it needs to move away from the Vita platform eventually and the PS4 market worldwide is large enough to sustain their niche market, is if Falcom has some sort of Vita eX+ upgrade that will be available in the future. If so would be something that will have to be a paid upgrade Id imagine otherwise business wise it would make no sense to have it free considering the extra work with the content included. If it would be "DLC" or not would depend on how Falcom coded the original Vita version and if it was designed with eX+ in mind from the get go allowing the extra content to be eased into the original game itself. Otherwise it would have to be sold just as a standalone item at a lower price. Which Im leaning more towards in the event if they even plan on releasing the content for the Vita also.

In the event if the PS4 eX+ version was to be done by someone else you would imagine that there would be at least a proper clause allowing for a set period of time before eX+ could be sold in order to prevent one version from eclipsing the other regardless of market differences or not. As otherwise no business would sign onto a lesser product for a shrinking market. Which means that regardless of if Aksys would be doing the PS4 version eventually or not there should be a fair amount of time lag in between. Otherwise they would be hamstringing themselves.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished Chapter 2. I really like the game! The combat/dungeon crawling is a lot of fun and the school stuff is alright. The huuuuge amount of Kiseki fanservice is pretty enjoyable. I think Cold Steel fans should love this game.

Only downside so far is the story seems kind of generic Persona ripoff as opposed to a nice original Falcom story. Hopefully it picks up. But I'm mainly here for the gameplay and the story stuff is serviceable with the usual good Falcom writing, so it's all good.

Not sure how bright it is playing this the week before P5 comes out considering TX is Persona Falcom-edition, but hopefully it won't burn me out going into P5 this week.

Top Bottom