• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

City getting rid of:

Cabellero
Clichy
Zabaleta
Navas
Sagna

All on free transfer apparently

All expected but that leaves a lot to be filled. The youth in those positions (except for Roberts) don't look ready to step up so that most likely means at least three full backs and a keeper to be signed.

I think you will sign Bertrand from us.

Not heard that one before. Any good or more of a squad player?

I also expect Bony, Mangala, Nasri, Hart, Iheanacho, Nolito, Fernando to leave but with a mix of youth and new signings coming in. I think Touré will get an extension but take a pay cut, Kompany will do one more year and Aguero will stay.

Beefy

Not heard that one before. Any good or more of a squad player?

I also expect Bony, Mangala, Nasri, Hart, Iheanacho, Nolito, Fernando to leave but with a mix of youth and new signings coming in. I think Touré will get an extension but take a pay cut, Kompany will do one more year and Aguero will stay.

Depends on his attitude. I wouldn't mind a swap deal for Iheanacho.

DBT85

City getting rid of:

Cabellero
Clichy
Zabaleta
Navas
Sagna

All on free transfer apparently

To be expected and there will be more, one of the big things when Pep arrived was the average squad age being so high.

Pep and Mou have both taken on the hardest jobs they've ever had.

The Europa victory puts United in pot 2 of the Champions League draw, Even if they are grouped with one of the big boys they should be able to advance given pots 3 and 4.

Hopefully yeah.

Icolin

Banned
#ThankYouJesus

DArc7f-XkAE27_M

Just got back from Stockholm - what an atmosphere, sat in lower tier to right of the net.

Sweden is more expensive than I thought it would be, although definitely worth it.

T-Rex.

Banned
Is it possible for 2 English teams to be in the same group in the CL? I think they changed it so teams from the same league couldn't be in the same group, but I can't remember the rules. It's been so long lol.

Is it possible for 2 English teams to be in the same group in the CL? I think they changed it so teams from the same league couldn't be in the same group, but I can't remember the rules. It's been so long lol.
Can't happen. Worst groups that Liverpool and Spurs could get ATM are:

Real Madrid
PSG
Liverpool/Spurs
RB Leipzig

Or

Bayern
Barcelona
Liverpool/Spurs
Roma

Think the only times 2 teams from the same country ever were in the same group was 2005/2006(Liverpool and Chelsea). When LFC won the CL the year before, but didn't finish in the top 4 and UEFA had to decide if LFC were able to defend their CL title. LFC had to start from the 1st qualifying round and could be in the same group as another English team.

Really? A Swedish journalist compared the Man Utd crowd to a golf crowd lol.

I meant in general, from the train station, fan park, the pubs lining the mall/stadium and the stadium itself.

I'm sure it could have been more chaotic - certainly not on the level of Joshua/Klitscho but then that was like 1v99%.

T-Rex.

Banned
Can't happen. Worst groups that Liverpool and Spurs could get ATM are:

Real Madrid
PSG
Liverpool/Spurs
RB Leipzig

Or

Bayern
Barcelona
Liverpool/Spurs
Roma
Shit, I didn't realise it could be that bad lmao.

Think the only times 2 teams from the same country ever were in the same group was 2005/2006(Liverpool and Chelsea). When LFC won the CL the year before, but didn't finish in the top 4 and UEFA had to decide if LFC were able to defend their CL title. LFC had to start from the 1st qualifying round and could be in the same group as another English team.
Yeah that's what came to mind, since we'll have 5 teams in it again I was just wondering if it'd be possible.

DBT85

why are City in 2 and Spurs in 3?

Guessing its because of their coefficient.

Chelsea are 10th (106.135), Arsenal are 11th (105.135) City are 12th (100.135), United 14th (93.135), Spurs are 20th (77.135), Liverpool are 34th (56.135).

United won't rise much over the next few years because of Moyes getting us 7th (next year we only got 2.714 points), Chelsea won't rise much above 10th for a while because of no Europe this season.

Not that it really matters as long as you're high enough to get pot 2 now that all the league winners get pot 1.

After Leicester in 56th (37.135) the next best team is newly promoted Newcastle at 68 because they got points in 12/13, but will drop a long way (to like 125th) next season.

Everton, a team never to be relegated from the PL, are behind Newcastle a team who have been relegated twice lol.

Just realised that United will get more points this season (4) than in 14/15 after Moyes (2.7) even if they lose all 6 group games, because you get 4 just for being in the group stage.

DBT85

The coefficient system changes in 18/19 so they will get a boost the season after next assuming they finish in the top 4.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398611.html

Ahh I see, didn;t evne know they were changing it.

Club coefficient system

• A new system for the club coefficients: clubs are judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
  • Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation (points for previous European titles with a weighted system for UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titles)

If I'm reading that right, Liverpool and United should get a boost because they've won it a few times.

Pachimari

I have big faith in Alvaro Morata denying any interest from other clubs and staying for another season, and I'm sure Zidane wants to give him more minutes. I also really hope Vallejo joins up for at least the pre-season. I can't wait to see him play against Dortmund tomorrow. That said, Cadena SER writes about Inter wanting Danilo, and even though I know this is nothing but a story, I sure hope somebody will take him off our wages.

Achraf Hakimi is also on his way to Alaves on a loan, which they'll probably confirm after the Copa del Rey final.

miserable

I have big faith in Alvaro Morata denying any interest from other clubs and staying for another season, and I'm sure Zidane wants to give him more minutes. I also really hope Vallejo joins up for at least the pre-season. I can't wait to see him play against Dortmund tomorrow. That said, Cadena SER writes about Inter wanting Danilo, and even though I know this is nothing but a story, I sure hope somebody will take him off our wages.

Achraf Hakimi is also on his way to Alaves on a loan, which they'll probably confirm after the Copa del Rey final.

just yesterday there was an article in Gazzetta dello Sport that Morata said yes to Milan

Getting Silva. Keeping Zaha. Maybe Palace will actually challenge for 7th/8th place like they should with their squad.

Silva feels like a manager who's looking for the next step as soon as he joins, but I would be happy with him. And we need some quick, to not fall behind with transfers.

RocknRola

Silva feels like a manager who's looking for the next step as soon as he joins, but I would be happy with him. And we need some quick, to not fall behind with transfers.

Only natural, he is young and wants to reach the top of the ladder with the "big boys". That said, I have no doubt that with actual time, on squad built by him he can do great on the Premier League. He has quality and his general playing style ( big focus attacking, more so than securing a result) fits the league itself, too.

Top Bottom