• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF GOTY 2023 |OT| Voting thread

FluffShake

I'm doing my part!

uWF0iH4.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Voted. BG3 will walk this, as it should. Voted for Hi-Fi Rush for 6 categories including most underrated, as it's the 2nd best game of the year and y'all sleeping.

Figured out my top 11 today, 11 because those last 4 are almost interchangeable. Most of the list is, really, but there's levels to it. Ted Talk incoming.

1. Baldur's Gate 3
  2. Hi-Fi Rush
  3. Dave the Diver
  4. Hogwarts Legacy
  5. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  6. Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty
  7. Pizza Tower
  8. Spider-Man 2
  9. Super Mario Wonder
  10. Alan Wake 2
  11. Resident Evil 4
BG3 is not only the best game of the year, but one of the best games of the last two decades. It's an unreal achievement, and you won't see something like it again for a long time.

Hi-Fi Rush is an all-round incredible package; super tight rhythm gameplay, great art, great style, great world and characters, Game Pass or less than full price at RRP for a very replayable title. Just an absolutely homerun that more people should play.

Hogwarts and Zelda are the next bracket for me; one is a largely serviceable game in a wizard's skin that they totally nailed across the board, the other is a version 1.5 of a 5 year old game with a beautifully realised core building mechanic that transforms the whole thing.

Cyberpunk's DLC is some of the best stuff that game has to offer and is almost worth calling a game in its own right. The 2.0 experience doesn't entirely make the game worth revisiting, but is an obvious step-up.

Pizza Tower is my other indie darling of the year, and is not only a tribute to Warioland, but surpasses every Warioland game in a cracked-out-of-its-skull MS Paint experience.

Spider-Man 2 is more of the same, but the same is very very good. Super Mario Wonder is the best 2D Mario since World, it's just that that doesn't do as much for me as it does others. Alan Wake 2 is brilliant in some ways but the actual game part leaves much to be desired, and RE4 is a great "sidegrade" to one of the all-timers.

All-in-all a very strong year for bigger games, feels like 2024 is gearing up to be anothe indie year as 2022 largely was - a couple of huge hitters, and then a bunch of really neat, creative stuff.

Game of the YearBaldur's Gate 3
Best Action GameResident Evil 4
Best Adventure GameThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best RPGBaldur's Gate 3
Best PlatformerSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best ShooterMetroid Prime Remastered
Best Sports GameClick to Vote
Best Fighting GameClick to Vote
Best Indie GameAgainst the Storm
Best Multiplayer GameSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best Remake or RemasterMetroid Prime Remastered
Best Visual StyleSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best SoundtrackSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best UI or HUD designAgainst the Storm
Best Voice ActingBaldur's Gate 3
Best Box ArtThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best character designBaldur's Gate 3
Best Overall ValueAgainst the Storm
Most Underrated GameAgainst the Storm
Most Difficult GameArmored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
'It should have been on Gamepass'Final Fantasy XVI
Game that respects your timeMarvel's Spider-Man 2
Game that deserves a sequelClick to Vote
Game I bought, but didn't playFinal Fantasy XVI
Best first hour of gameplayResident Evil 4

Didn't play as much new stuff as I thought, had trouble with some of the categories, and just had nothing for others.

BG3 is my runaway GOTY winner. Against the Storm was a latecomer out of nowhere that has been delightful. TOTK, Mario, RE4, Prime Remastered, Spidey round out the other best games I played this year.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
There are a few I’ve read good things about. Strangely they all seem to aim for N64 era visuals.

Jusant probably qualifies as a platformer too.
Ah man, I gotta check these out. They all look cool.

Labadal

Game of the YearOctopath Traveler II
Best Action GameStar Ocean: The Second Story R
Best Adventure GameLike a Dragon: Ishin!
Best RPGOctopath Traveler II
Best PlatformerSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best ShooterSystem Shock
Best Sports GameFootball Manager 2024
Best Fighting GameStreet Fighter 6
Best Indie GameCaves of Lore
Best Multiplayer GameBaldur's Gate 3
Best Remake or RemasterStar Ocean: The Second Story R
Best Visual StyleOctopath Traveler II
Best SoundtrackOctopath Traveler II
Best UI or HUD designBaldur's Gate 3
Best Voice ActingJagged Alliance 3
Best Box ArtOctopath Traveler II
Best character designLike a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
Best Overall ValueFootball Manager 2024
Most Underrated GameJagged Alliance 3
Most Difficult GameJagged Alliance 3
'It should have been on Gamepass'The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
Game that respects your timeJagged Alliance 3
Game that deserves a sequelJagged Alliance 3
Game I bought, but didn't playPersona 5 Tactica
Best first hour of gameplayBaldur's Gate 3

Ribi

Game of the Year Baldur's Gate 3
Best Action Game Remnant 2
Best Adventure Game Hogwarts Legacy
Best RPG Baldur's Gate 3
Best Platformer Pizza Tower
Best Shooter Trepang2
Best Sports Game Super Mega Baseball 4
Best Fighting Game Street Fighter 6
Best Indie Game Lethal Company
Best Multiplayer Game The Finals
Best Remake or Remaster Resident Evil 4
Best Visual Style Atomic Heart
Best Soundtrack Atomic Heart
Best UI or HUD design Dead Space
Best Voice Acting Alan Wake II
Best Box Art Hogwarts Legacy
Best character design Atomic Heart
Best Overall Value Vampire Survivors
Most Underrated Game Lords of the Fallen
Most Difficult Game Counter-Strike 2
'It should have been on Gamepass' Baldur's Gate 3
Game that respects your time Hi-Fi Rush
Game that deserves a sequel Biomutant
Game I bought, but didn't play Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Best first hour of gameplay Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

the only list that matters.

Also for everyone who didn't put Trepang2 as best shooter, why did you forget it exists?

And apparently Vampires survivors qualifies still? So all of you who hyped it up last year will surely vote for it RIGHT?

I didn't know where to put avatar as visually and graphically it deserves a spot but AH style is better

Finally, did Ready or Not make the cut off date? cormack12 cormack12

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is there any way to get a shortlist of games per category? I’ve got a shit memory, and I forgot which games I even played this year. Plus I don’t always know if a game qualifies for a category. (Is Dave the Diver an indie game? It’s by a small studio owned by a huge publisher. Is Metroid Prime a shooter? Are shmups?)

Anyway, huge thanks to cormack12 cormack12 and Topher Topher for putting this together. 💙

Last edited:

Wunray

Haven't played enough new games this year to vote for, played like maybe 2 or 3. That being said I hope BG3 wins it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Best shooter category is hilarious this year. People putting AC6 in there cuz no shooters worth a shit came out let’s be honest.

I put lies of p and ff16 in more spots than I thought.

5xtXzTl.png

Last edited:

Ribi

so those who didnt know you can just leave the search entry empty and it'll show all the games in a list that are eligible

Topher

Gold Member
Is there any way to get a shortlist of games per category? I’ve got a shit memory, and I forgot which games I even played this year. Plus I don’t always know if a game qualifies for a category. (Is Dave the Diver an indie game? It’s by a small studio owned by a huge publisher. Is Metroid Prime a shooter? Are shmups?)

Anyway, huge thanks to cormack12 cormack12 and Topher Topher for putting this together. 💙

Unfortunately, right now we don't have games limited to any categories so you are free to choose any game for any category. Not ideal, obviously, but we are using wikipedia as our source of games for 2023 as we don't have the manpower/time to curate a list of games for each category. So use your best judgement.

Here is the list of games we are pulling from, broken down by quarters.

Last edited:

Regginator

Man, making this list made me realize I've yet to play so many 2023 games. So many games, so little time (and money). Most of the usual GOTY candidates I haven't even played yet (aside from TOTK and Mario Wonder), so I have a lot of empty slots.

I did play the Dead Space remake, which I really loved. A shame it didn't seem to be featured in many GOTY lists.

Anyway, without further ado:

Game of the Year The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Action Game Dead Space
Best Adventure Game The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best RPG Hogwarts Legacy
Best Platformer Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Best Shooter Dead Space
Best Sports Game Click to Vote
Best Fighting Game Click to Vote
Best Indie Game Click to Vote
Best Multiplayer Game Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Best Remake or Remaster Metroid Prime Remastered
Best Visual Style The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Soundtrack Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Best UI or HUD design Dead Space
Best Voice Acting Dead Space
Best Box Art The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best character design The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Overall Value The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Most Underrated Game Click to Vote
Most Difficult Game Click to Vote
'It should have been on Gamepass' Click to Vote
Game that respects your time Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Game that deserves a sequel Metroid Prime Remastered
Game I bought, but didn't play Click to Vote
Best first hour of gameplay Dead Space
Best first hour of gameplay Dead Space

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not sure it is fair to vote. I haven't yet played BG3 and have little interest in some of the other top games. Zelda is my top game then maybe Mario, AW2, SM2, and Hogwarts.

FFXVI, Diablo 4 and Starfield all felt like a waste of time to me.

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure it is fair to vote. I haven't yet played BG3 and have little interest in some of the other top games. Zelda is my top game then maybe Mario, AW2, SM2, and Hogwarts.

FFXVI, Diablo 4 and Starfield all felt like a waste of time to me.

Pretty sure very few have played all games. People play based on their interests and so they will more than likely vote that way as well. For you, it sounds like Zelda is GOTY, AW2 or SM2 is adventure or action, Howgarts is RPG. See nothing wrong with those selections myself.

Hudo

To whom it may concern:
an updated list. And most likely final. I don't buy games and not play them, so that will remain empty, I'm afraid.
Screenshot-2023-12-21-at-18-33-11-Neo-GAF-2023-Game-of-the-Year-Voting.png

Still bummed about no "best strategy game" category, tho.

Topher

Gold Member
To whom it may concern:
an updated list. And most likely final. I don't buy games and not play them, so that will remain empty, I'm afraid.
Screenshot-2023-12-21-at-18-33-11-Neo-GAF-2023-Game-of-the-Year-Voting.png

Still bummed about no "best strategy game" category, tho.

I'll try to remember that for next year.

Topher

Gold Member
Top Bottom