• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Lanrutcon

lol. You've regressed from pouty entitlement to full blown fantasy land there. Careful.

No one wants to overgear a mythic dungeon because they can't handle the mechanics, their gear didn't float in from no where in the first place, they probably do Mythic+ to get to that point. It's all a matter of speed and convenience. It's simply a lot easier to do the dungeon in a few big pulls than it is to charity case someone who is -20 ilevels of the group.

Unless they're a DH or Hunter, those classes can usually contribute regardless for the most part. ST classes don't really speed up a dungeon so much and aren't really worth.

Warning me to be careful? I'd ask which nerve I struck, but I think it's obvious at this point.

Basically this:

This is my heirloom comparison:

That..is nuts. Have you tried it in dungeons? You could probably solo them.

v1perz53

Picking the highest ilevel for your party? Fair enough.

But.

When you start a group and ask for 840 for a base Mythic you're playing it safe.

When you ask for an 850 for a base Mythic you're probably incredibly scared of failing and really value your time. To each their own.

But when you ask for 860 for a base mythic? well sir, you're part of a problem that you probably won't even admit exists. These guys can go fuck right off and the game would be better for it.

Honestly, when I make a group for mythics I set it at 830. Then 15 seconds later I have 20 applications from 830 to 860. I didn't demand 860 minimum, but certainly I'm not gonna take that 830 guy over the 860 and just make my own life more difficult. I think the groups that set the minimum at 860 are the stupidest thing, you'll get those people applying no matter what just set it low and pick who you want. But anyone trying to do mythics at ~830 ilvl as DPS I feel for you. I would have no problem taking you but like I said, I get swamped with applications within seconds. So the only advice I have is if you're around 830 start your own group, or you will have a hell of a time getting picked out of the random group finder horde that shows up just as ilvl numbers.

wtf that cant be intended

Eh, I think it is fine as long as they make sure to scale it properly in PvP. Otherwise that item is utterly useless. Not like being able to do irrelevant very low level content quickly and easily matters at all these days.

Sent it to my hunter, its colored like an artifact now with normal stats but i still have 4.5k hp at level 6 with 379% crit. im afraidt o log out

BUuwb3Q.png

DvkoSJF.png

i aint loggin out

Sarcasm

That feeling when your 12 friends setup group to raid and you are benched.

Especially since one doesn't even have a character on the faction.

Lomax

Ugh, they made the spear an actual heirloom? Of course I sold mine. You'd think having done the quest would just unlock it. Guess I could put in a ticket. Or just do it again on another character.

Edit: never used the item restoration feature before, that was actually really simple and great. Yay for Blizzard.

Renekton

The Mythic+ structure made me wish I had my old TBC team back.

Our team was decent enough to clear heroics Mana Tombs, should be able to clean M+6 weekly.

PUGs as of now won't give me the time of day for my depleted key.

belmonkey

Would the mere mention of using a controller for healing make someone a non-option to heal a heroic or above raid (regardless of whether normal was going fine)? Currently not mentioning it to the raid leader, or anyone in the guild :x

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
As a consequence, if Blizzard doesn't make an announcement to honour their own core values, be sure that we will.
Uh...yeah...good luck with that...

Cant wait to see the civil war between insane purists who want the pure Vanilla experience and people who want QoL upgrades that have been added over 12 years like being able to loot more then one body at a time, the mount/collections tab and not having to hold mounts in your inventory and the insane amount of clutter you needed to use spells as a Rogue, Paladin, Warlock etc

Tenebrous

Great zone. I was sour on it at first because I chose it first on launch day and it seemed like my friends were just flying through Val and Aszuna, but later I learned the core Stormheim story is just a bit longer. Love it now. That music!

First time: Oh, this is kinda cool.
Second time: Ahh, the grappling hook stuff again.
Third time: Sigh...

But hey, 110 now. Happy days.

Lain

Cant wait to see the civil war between insane purists who want the pure Vanilla experience and people who want QoL upgrades that have been added over 12 years like being able to loot more then one body at a time, the mount/collections tab and not having to hold mounts in your inventory and the insane amount of clutter you needed to use spells as a Rogue, Paladin, Warlock etc

Would people roll on Legacy servers and then whine about that stuff?
... Maybe so.
Wouldn't the easy answer be go play on a non-legacy server then though?

Acerac

Banned

I'd venture to guess there are enough of the former to fill a server at least. Not that the latter are wrong to feel as they do, but a vanilla server isn't the place for them to hang out.

Acerac

Banned
Will there be enough motivated peeps for 40man Naxx/AQ40?

Now that people know the strats well ahead of time? I'd venture to say they'll be slaughtered close the moment they get released. 40 dedicated raiders won't be tough to come by for server firsts.

Whether or not it'll be sustainable is a better question.

Magnus

Took me like 40 mins. 15 mins for the archaeology parts, then I had to queue and find a group for Neltharions Lair and kill the boss at the end and collect the item at the end.

There's no way to do 20 solves in 15 mins. That's crazy. Must be an hour at least.

There's no way to do 20 solves in 15 mins. That's crazy. Must be an hour at least.

If you are a Dwarf with the glove enchant and get lucky...

The first time I did it it just jumped from 6 to 20 solves for no reason anyway. Its not solves either. Its just getting a fragment.

Magnus

If you are a Dwarf with the glove enchant and get lucky...

The first time I did it it just jumped from 6 to 20 solves for no reason anyway

It takes like a site and a half to do 1 solve. Let's be super generous and say 1 site per solve with a keystone. That's still like 3-5 mins per solve. There's no way to do 20 In 15 mins. That's nuts.

It takes like a site and a half to do 1 solve. Let's be super generous and say 1 site per solve with a keystone. That's still like 3-5 mins per solve. There's no way to do 20 In 15 mins. That's nuts.

For the Spear of Rethu you don't do solves. You just dig up a fragment for credit.

Magnus

Legacy servers? Enjoy one tank class and "hybrid" meaning "healer".

They're nostalgia-fueled jokes. Best ignored or indulged as a short-term curiousity. Current players know better. The game's quality of life improvements over the last decade are not be ignored.

For the Spear of Rethu you don't do solves. You just dig up a fragment for credit.

It isn't the biweekly archaeology quest reward? That shit needs 20 solves afaik.

Acerac

Banned
Legacy servers? Enjoy one tank class and "hybrid" meaning "healer".

Now now, later on in Vanilla you need precisely 1 shadow priest per raid to buff the warlocks. ;)
They're nostalgia-fueled jokes. Best ignored or indulged as a short-term curiousity. Current players know better. The game's quality of life improvements over the last decade are not be ignored.

Many changes are for the better, most are, in fact. Still, having played both modern and Vanilla WoW recently, I wouldn't say all of them are.

erawsd

It isn't the biweekly archaeology quest reward? That shit needs 20 solves afaik.

I dont remeber what the quest text says but its def not 20 solves. It might be 20 digs or 20 artifact shards because i finished it in a matter of minutes.

The last one in Azsuna for the toy that makes you fly in a small space required 25 solves. The Highmountain one for the Spear is 20 fragments dug up.

Yes, that makes absolutely no sense. I know.

Xeteh

Man, people are weird.

Doing the quest out on the island with the elites in Stormheim on my ilvl 787 Venge DH. I get ganked by two WW Monks while fighting an elite. Well, I can't fight back on this DH so I get on my Druid (852 Guardian) and fly out there for some vengeance. Find them, I attack and two seconds later I'm charged by a horde party questing out there so I die. I res and find them again, same thing (minus the dying) except this time some alliance jump in too. I focus on the Monks, kill one and the other tries to gtfo so I chase him down and kill him too. Once he dies the other monk had already revived and was trying to escape so I killed him again with a /lol for good measure.

I get a friend request. I accept.

Monk: so pvp on a tank spec makes you pro right?
Me: ganking a solo DH fighting an elite with two people doesn't?
Monk: typical alliance baddie needs to group up on people
... they were already a group and I was solo, I'm so confused. Oh well, got revenge. I'm happy.

v1perz53

Cool. Now I don't have to listen to the nostalgia fiends complain anymore and I get to laugh at them when they all quit after 6 months.

I still contend (and would love to be proven wrong) that 99% of the reason people played Nostalrius had nothing to do with the fact that vanilla WoW was good at all, but had everything to do with the fact that it was free. Charge $15 a month and I am positive Nostalrius would've had 1/20th of the population it did. You could literally make the worst game free and people will play it. Vanilla WoW was great at the time, but plenty of aspects are straight up worse than what we have today, and only served to worsen the game. But again, prove me wrong if blizz ever makes legacy servers.

Maaaybe if they just have legacy servers be a free addition to your already sub it will assuage that a bit, but again I don't believe most of the people playing Nostalrius were also people with an active WoW sub.

Tenebrous

Man, people are weird.

Doing the quest out on the island with the elites in Stormheim on my ilvl 787 Venge DH. I get ganked by two WW Monks while fighting an elite. Well, I can't fight back on this DH so I get on my Druid (852 Guardian) and fly out there for some vengeance. Find them, I attack and two seconds later I'm charged by a horde party questing out there so I die. I res and find them again, same thing (minus the dying) except this time some alliance jump in too. I focus on the Monks, kill one and the other tries to gtfo so I chase him down and kill him too. Once he dies the other monk had already revived and was trying to escape so I killed him again with a /lol for good measure.

I get a friend request. I accept.

Monk: so pvp on a tank spec makes you pro right?
Me: ganking a solo DH fighting an elite with two people doesn't?
Monk: typical alliance baddie needs to group up on people
... they were already a group and I was solo, I'm so confused. Oh well, got revenge. I'm happy.

Should've just replied with "K." Winds people up pretty good.

I got quite a few friend requests when doing PvP during the invasions, and lord knows how many more while farming the rat at the start of the expansion.

I still contend (and would love to be proven wrong) that 99% of the reason people played Nostalrius had nothing to do with the fact that vanilla WoW was good at all, but had everything to do with the fact that it was free. Charge $15 a month and I am positive Nostalrius would've had 1/20th of the population it did. You could literally make the worst game free and people will play it. Vanilla WoW was great at the time, but plenty of aspects are straight up worse than what we have today, and only served to worsen the game. But again, prove me wrong if blizz ever makes legacy servers.

Maaaybe if they just have legacy servers be a free addition to your already sub it will assuage that a bit, but again I don't believe most of the people playing Nostalrius were also people with an active WoW sub.

People said the same about RuneScape. No-one would play on legacy servers if they had to pay for them, EoC made many things better, tc. Now 07scape brings in just as much (if not more) than 3.0, and made a LOT more the first year it was re-added.

That said, I do think there's a few groups calling out for Vanilla. First off are the people who joined any time after Jan 2007 - Even in early TBC, you couldn't escape vanilla greatness talks, so people obviously wanna see it for themselves. Then you have folk who enjoy a decent grind (and please, don't compare the T0.5 journey to world quests - One is/was epic, one is busy work).

Mostly, though, I think the folks calling for vanilla just want that old school sense of community. Your realm used to be an important thing, but now it's just a lifeless shell where you find a guild & ignore the world.

Still, I've no interest in playing on Legacy servers myself, and can't see them coming in the near future as Legion is sitting on >10m subscribers... BUT. One day, it'll happen. Just like RuneScape - When it makes business sense to do so, they'll do it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure if me just wanting to do mythics and the raid on my main means im winding down or not.

Last night half my usual posse wasnt around (granted it was Friday night lol) and I couldn't be arsed to be on. I didnt want to do shitty 830+ world quests in the hope that it would forge into something usable (which right now would have to be 850+), I dont want to play alts, but I do want to play my monk. I told the dude I run with if something happened to holler and I would drop whatever else I was doing, but yeah, I went ahead and played something else since nobody showed up.

Not sure what that says about my feelings about the game right now. Its probably better to chill out with something else now and then anyway to not completly burn out I guess.

Tubie

Patchwerk simcraft ranks are terrible and nobody should ever use them to "rank" any specs at all, cause the last time blizz made a Patchwerk fight was Patchwerk.

Just look at the "last 2 weeks" ranks on Warcraftlogs from Mythic EN in comparison:

Shadow is one of the best right now, but on that list you posted it's middle of the pack.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The problem is simcraft (the public profiles) has just gone to shit. The devs for over half the specs don't give a shit anymore -- many of the publicly simmed specs are riddled with bugs, using sub-optimal gear/stats, and using horrible talent builds. It's a damn shame and a far cry from back when simcraft was actually an accurate reflection of your spec's BiS gear, talent setup, patchwerk rotation, and ballpark ST dps.

As a result, the public profiles they display are essentially worthless now, but at least the tool is still useful for getting your individual stat weights and some sort of output.

cdyhybrid

Sims are generally only useful for comparing things within a class, not over multiple classes.

Comparing two trinkets for your character, comparing two talents, etc.

That's also assuming the sim profile is good.

Top Bottom