• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix debuts choose-your-own-adventure stories for kids

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I can't wait for the Game of Thrones choose your own adventure where 90 percent of the choices lead to death.

I thought Telltale already did that! ;)

I'd like to see them pick up that company that made the Late Shift game on PS4. It would be amazing to see them make a series for Netflix with all the branching paths that the game has.

I don't get why I don't hear anyone talking about that game ever. Definitely top 10 for me so far this year.

I bought it, should really play it. I got the (easy) plat on their previous one The Bunker. Wales Interactive, right? Seem to be doing some good stuff.

It won't happen. All that extra footage would cost a lot of $$$ for something only a subset of their subscribers would enjoy. Much easier to do cheep children's shows and day-time TV type stuff.

This is probably accurate, but if the format catches on, it could grow.

There are also "choose-your-own-adventure" type models that don't involve so many dead ends and one-off branches. One of the ones I enjoyed most as a kid was the Time Machine series, which would indeed present you with bad choice outcomes but not "game over" states, in that if you got in enough danger you had to jump randomly in time back to an earlier branch or segment of the story.

51YLiGIG-tL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here's a gamebook.org link an the series: https://gamebooks.org/Series/78

So, there's some alternate models that can be used, much as Telltale does, that allow the story to branch out and then reintegrate into a common ending. More practical for more expensive types of productions, I think. Maybe not in the spirit of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure by name, but certainly in line with game books that have come before.

OK, it works fine on the Netflix app on our Humax box, but not on Netflix through the app on our Bravia. I'm assuming the Bravia app is out of date and will be updated at some point, but until then we'll see how it works on the Humax. So far it appears as though if you choose it on an out-of-date app it plays as a simple episode with choices made for you, with sections where Puss and the storyteller talk to the viewer chopped out - on the Humax it adds an intro explaining how it works, and the fourth-wall-breaking bits are inserted around the branches. It works pretty smoothly so far!

I watched some twitch streamers play through choose your own adventure movies a while back. Stuff is pretty cool.

EDIT: Here's the one they played:

http://lateshift-movie.com/

The game I've mentioned twice already in this thread. Yes, if this is the kind of entertainment you're looking for this is the game/movie you should play...which is even more fun that watching other people make decisions.

emag

I'd like to see them pick up that company that made the Late Shift game on PS4. It would be amazing to see them make a series for Netflix with all the branching paths that the game has.

I don't get why I don't hear anyone talking about that game ever. Definitely top 10 for me so far this year.

Late Shift had nice production values, but the story and characters were as generic as they could be. Apart from the slight branching, it was about on par with any forgettable 90s TV movie. The decisions/outcomes never were particularly clever, either.

Late Shift had nice production values, but the story and characters were as generic as they could be. Apart from the slight branching, it was about on par with any forgettable 90s TV movie. The decisions/outcomes never were particularly clever, either.

They were fine. It was as good as most movies and TV on right now anyway....which I agree is not a high bar, but it is doing what is being described in this thread as this thing that people want and don't seem to know already exists.

CYOA is responsible for my fear of underwater creatures with large mouths.

Their under the sea adventure book had a picture of a large mouthed grouper that swallowed the protagonist whole.

My daughters love it and have been trying the different variations over and over - big hit here. But, oh my God, that bloody trout song is going to be the bane of my life...

OK, it works fine on the Netflix app on our Humax box, but not on Netflix through the app on our Bravia. I'm assuming the Bravia app is out of date and will be updated at some point, but until then we'll see how it works on the Humax. So far it appears as though if you choose it on an out-of-date app it plays as a simple episode with choices made for you, with sections where Puss and the storyteller talk to the viewer chopped out - on the Humax it adds an intro explaining how it works, and the fourth-wall-breaking bits are inserted around the branches. It works pretty smoothly so far!

Gah! I guess the app on my TV needs updating then. It's a F series Samsung from 2013 so not sure it that will happen or not.

I suppose I could use one of the myriad of other netflix enabled devices but when it;s for the kids it's easier to keep it simple and to the devices they know how to use. In all honesty it doesn't seem worth the hassle.

linkboy

I'll have to pull this up for my son when we get back home, I think he'd enjoy it.

edit
smart tv or iOS only.

Boo :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watched an episode with my little sister and she loved it. First time she has watched anything related to Puss in Boots too.

Top Bottom