• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Men Cry

kirblar

Puberty shut off my waterworks when previously it was really easy to trigger them w/ me as a kid. (as it turned out, I was chronically ill for most of my life, which exacerbated it.) I suspect I'm not an outlier here and that this is the reason you have such a big gender divide on the subject.

It's not that it can't happen, but it takes a lot to do it now.

akira28

when I cry, I sing an angry battle hymn, and then I pull out my sword and start slaying things.
Puberty shut off my waterworks when previously it was really easy to trigger them w/ me as a kid. (as it turned out, I was chronically ill for most of my life, which exacerbated it.) I suspect I'm not an outlier here and that this is the reason you have such a big gender divide on the subject.

It's not that it can't happen, but it takes a lot to do it now.

kirbs...i don't think puberty works like that, breh.

jwk94

Depends on the reason and the frequency of the crying.

Loss of a loved one, some other emotional trauma, a few tears after watching a said movie.

Sure.

Constantly crying because of something like a movie.

Man the fuck up. Applies to women as well.
Eh, movies can be emotional. I used to cry a lot at movies, but then I stopped as I got older. A lot of death scenes just don't have good impact these days.

Makes me super uncomfortable when anyone cries. Honestly I don't think you should ever be crying in public if youre an adult. Maybe if someone died or something equally bad.
Someone died? Go for it. Kids got cancer? Sure I'd cry also.
Your girl cheated? Grow up. Bad day at work? Grow up.
I doesn't just make me uncomfortable, it flat out disgusts me. Get your shit together. Have a break down at home. Don't put me in a position to have to witness your crap and be uncomfortable. It really gets under my skin.

Lol. Poor you, having to see somebody be upset.

Mesoian

Just pushing for that "manly" image. Like on OKCupid I've noticed a lot women will put in their questionnaire that they've had sex with other women but that didn't change their sexuality. Yet, they won't date a man who's had sex with another man.

Let's not get it twisted, the current perception that we call toxic masculinity is still the most sought after trait in the dating scene. No one wants anything "weird", everyone wants what everyone thinks is the norm, and the norm is bravado levels of confidence linked to social stability.

Makes me super uncomfortable when anyone cries. Honestly I don't think you should ever be crying in public if youre an adult. Maybe if someone died or something equally bad.
I doesn't just make me uncomfortable, it flat out disgusts me. Get your shit together. Have a break down at home. Don't put me in a position to have to witness your crap and be uncomfortable. It really gets under my skin.

American masculinity in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.

Zaru

Fellow outlier here. Was a total crybaby, in public. At an age where it was not acceptable for anyone at that extent, not even girls.
After puberty kicked in (~age 13/14) I forgot how to cry. Like, literally, forgot.
I had one episode almost a decade ago when I suddenly cried uncontrollably for half an hour for no reason (there was nothing in my life that would've served as an explanation), and then never again.

Doesn't exactly bother me in daily life but somehow I'm worried there's some underlying issue that is growing while bottled up and will fuck me up someday.

Movies can make me cry very easily and I'm not ashamed of it at all and never try to hide it or anything. It's very rare in everyday life though but if it happens it happens, no big deal.

Only time I saw my father cry was during the ending of Commando, when Arnold reunites with his daughter. I don't think I've ever seen him cry at a funeral but fucking Commando got him, haha. That's actually a memory I cherish, one of the few times he shed his stern facade.

Deepwater

As I get older I actually find myself crying more. Especially at Disney/Pixar movies. I was boohooing when I went to go see Finding Dory

Emotional scenes be getting me.

wamberz1

Being exposed to other peoples suffering... you poor thing.

Get over yourself. Some people are more sensitive than others. Crying and sadness ain't some shit you can postpone.

It's been a while since I've read a comment this insensitive.

Funny timing. During our vacation last week, my son said that he never sees me cry. He said he cries, and he sees my mom cry, but that he doesn't see me to it often.

I let him know that I do, and that it's healthy to do it when you feel like you need to. It's just that I don't cry when I fall, or that something doesn't go my way, or someone says something mean to me.

Basically, my emotions are mine. Other people's emotions are theirs, and everyone, everyone, everyone, cries. I just don't cry because not as much bothers me, but man, when it does, it really does. And I let him know that I'm a happy crier too. Movies, songs, even games.

We can do our kids, and ourselves, a favor and teach them that being a "man" doesn't mean "never cry be strong fuck all the bitches make money". Being a good person, with integrity, confidence in yourself and your likes/interests, and a good work ethic are what to aim for. And you can't have much of that without processing your feelings. Crying is natural.

If you want to take it one step farther, you can always say that the bigger man is the one that doesn't feel like he needs to hide his feelings.

Daingurse

Definitely a stigma towards men crying. I'm an emotional dude, and a frequent crier. Many people seem to get irritated seeing a grown man cry, regardless of the context. I'm a 6'4" black man, and have definitely felt silly when I was crying in the past, just because of how society views the act of men crying. Now, I don't really care much. I've accepted that I'm a dude who cries. If I feel any kind of strong emotional resonance towards something, chances are I'm going to cry. Watching old clips of fucking DBZ can get the ole' waterworks going for me lol.

Snarky❤;244661703 said:
Except I didn't believe it and couldn't get over his dopey face in this scene. For many other reasons also, Tobey Maguire was an awful Spider-Man, as good as those first two movies are.

I mean, have you seen actual people cry? Like really truly sob? It ain't pretty. You look some form of stupid. There's a reason the term "ugly cry" exists. Not all crying looks like

447px-Manlytears3.jpg

Snarky❤;244662675 said:
Lol. Poor you, having to see somebody be upset.
Being exposed to other peoples suffering... you poor thing.

Get over yourself. Some people are more sensitive than others. Crying and sadness ain't some shit you can postpone.

It's been a while since I've read a comment this insensitive.
If you're actually suffering I don't care. If your "suffering" is regular life then you need to act like an adult and stop crying.

Edit cause I forgot: crying and sadness is absolutely something you can postpone. If you're such a wreck you have to break down every time you have an emotion you should probably seek some kind of counseling.

Joeku

Firstly, lmao.

Secondly, weirdly I've found myself getting more emotional and crying more at media the closer I get to 30. I got teary-eyed recently at the end of a story about space probes and football told by simple html web pages. 17-year old me would definitely not have.

maxcriden

Just pushing for that "manly" image. Like on OKCupid I've noticed a lot women will put in their questionnaire that they've had sex with other women but that didn't change their sexuality. Yet, they won't date a man who's had sex with another man.

Oh! You mean like gender stereotypes in general. I gotcha. Thanks. I thought you meant like about men crying.

Honestly, I'm not more or less likely to help out a guy or a girl who's crying... Part of that is social anxieties, and part of that is I hate people and their social problems (probably stemming from the former).

That said, I'm a guy who cries. I cried when I asked my wife out. I cried when I asked her to marry me. I cried when I left my job. I cried after I justifiably yelled at a co-worker for being a PoS (unrelated incidents). I cried when my wife left to the other side of the country to start a new job and I was going to be away from her for a 6 months. I cried when I saw her again. I'm not talking a single tear running down the side of my face, I full on bawl. I've lost friends over it. I've gained friends and sympathy over it.

For the longest time I hated that about myself because everyone else hated that about me... my life got better when I stopped caring how people reacted to it and it eventually became my sort of mantra to life.

Emotions aren't a weakness, they're a sign of being human. At the end of the day, I still get my shit done and I live a happy life with two beautiful daughters who give me big hugs and try to cheer me up when I do cry which almost always makes it even worse in a good way. I'm rambling now... TLDR: I cry, and cry shamers are dumb. Go #teamemotions

Kthulhu

Man, I saw some really nice women's high tops the other day. Things felt really good to wear, but I needed a size up because they were too tight. They stopped making the size I needed -_-

Someone needs to destroy the stigma against men shopping for clothes. I'm so, so tired of looking at the same styles in 90% of stores. Meanwhile, women have so much stuff to choose from. I'm jealous as hell.

I've met plenty of women who hate how many different types of clothing they have to wear. Esspecially for formal events.

I wish I could cry more. Its hard to. Most if the time a sad tv show or movie might do it, but its rare.

Yea I can't remember the last time I cried, but my eyes do leak a lot. Like, the slightest yawn, my eyes tear up. My eyes just do that randomly, so it looks like I'm crying when I'm not.

Xun

As I get older I actually find myself crying more. Especially at Disney/Pixar movies. I was boohooing when I went to go see Finding Dory

Emotional scenes be getting me.
I'm the same actually.

I guess sad scenes hit you more the older you get.

It's more common for me to tear up during an animated movie though...

or maybe not shame people for having emotions regardless of whether or not you deem them appropriate?
It's a question on a forum!? I'm responding to it. It's not like I'm kicking crying people on the bus.

you're kind of a dick
At least I'm not crying about it.
I can taste the fedora from here. Can you sheathe your katana? It's uncomfortable.
You can taste the fedora from here? That's cringey as fuck.

The emotional response of crying is obviously natural, but it's a sign of emotional instability. Obviously the average person doesn't break down for no reason, but I don't find it appealing, especially in a professional environment.

We had a receptionist at my office a year or two ago. She would go to the bathroom and start crying anytime anyone was even a little firm with her when something was fucked up. She didn't last long.

There used to be something about stoicism.

Face adversity in front of other's without showing weakness.

Nine times out of ten, I'll take the person who doesn't cry over the one that does. I'd just rather be the one that people look to for support rather than the one always needing it.

It's a question on a forum!? I'm responding to it. It's not like I'm kicking crying people on the bus.

At least I'm not crying about it.

That's mean dude, lol.

We should be nice and helpful of those in need, even if it's a dude crying in public. My mind wouldn't let me forget that 8 walked passed a person who is very obviously in distress and laughed. I wouldn't think less of you if I saw you crying in public. It's all good we all cry fuck it.

Nothing wrong with crying, but it's impossible to not expect everyone in the room to look down on you for it.

If you're crying at work over a task, there is no way you won't look incompetent or incapable by other people. I hope the office culture in some places is good enough for that not to be the case

Kthulhu

I think you're just an unsympathetic asshole.

Loss of a loved one, some other emotional trauma, a few tears after watching a said movie.

Sure.

The ancient Greeks literally commited suicide after watching tragedies.

Crying is fine.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Crying is healthy and feels fantastic afterwards sometimes. Why deny yourself of this earthly pleasure?

ChrisD

If you're actually suffering I don't care. If your "suffering" is regular life then you need to act like an adult and stop crying.

Edit cause I forgot: crying and sadness is absolutely something you can postpone. If you're such a wreck you have to break down every time you have an emotion you should probably seek some kind of counseling.

Your first post read that even the act of seeing someone cry makes you uncomfortable, in which case, how would you even know what the problem is? Do you approach anyone crying and ask them if they are doing so because of a.) a break-up, b.) cancer, or c.) a death, followed immediately by the action of then walking away knowing if they have a "reasonable" cause for crying or not?

Protein

Banned

Sure.

How about people can cry whenever the fuck they want? The world would arguably be a better place if men expressed emotions in a healthy manner instead of suppressing them and dick swinging.

ChrisD

Yea I can't remember the last time I cried, but my eyes do leak a lot. Like, the slightest yawn, my eyes tear up. My eyes just do that randomly, so it looks like I'm crying when I'm not.

Yeah, this sucks. My eyes get dry easily I guess, because I'll just be walking around Wal-Mart sometimes and my eyes start a pourin'. Not crying, but to anyone outside it sure looks like it.

I think crying is fine and something that people just need to do when they need to.

I think masculinity reacts with crying in a really sad and toxic way. Just let it out, no one gives a shit. I had a friend who got cheated on and he was fucking broken about it and one day just broke down sobbing because he hadn't "let himself cry" because it wasn't masculine.

😬😬😬

How about people can cry whenever the fuck they want? The world would arguably be a better place if men expressed emotions in a healthy manner instead of suppressing them and dick swinging.

Yes because that’s the alternative. If you’re not going around crying irrationally you’re a dick swinger.

kirblar

kirbs...i don't think puberty works like that, breh.
That's how it worked for me (and for someone else in the thread) and I've seen trans men express similar experiences about their transition to male hormones. It obviously won't be the same experience for everyone, but it was definitely that for me. I cried all the time as a kid, but as an adult, it's occasionally a few tears at a sad scene, and the last time anything broke me down was when my cat died unexpectedly years back. I'm not actively repressing the crying - it turned off on its own.

televator

Because heaven forbid you not be "masculine" for a sec. It's bullshit. As a male that isn't an exemplar of "macho" myself this expectation is tiresome. It requires that I at least make minimal effort for a charade of sorts in the work place or pretty much anywhere. Even friends get caught off guard by any cracks at in the facade.

Yeah, this sucks. My eyes get dry easily I guess, because I'll just be walking around Wal-Mart sometimes and my eyes start a pourin'. Not crying, but to anyone outside it sure looks like it.

I'm a poker dealer. A few times, I was dealing, and out of no where, my eyes just started pouring tears. I had to stop dealing cause I couldn't see, and had to leave the table to go to the bathroom. It was embarrassing cause people were like "what's wrong are ok" lol. I was glad people cared enough to ask.

Top Bottom