• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Men Cry

gaiages

Banned
I didn't say men don't use feelings at all, or that women don't use logic. It is just weighted less in the decisions they make. Even for stuff that goes beyond relationships.

You say that although it's scientific fact.

So? Where are my receipts?

sant

Let's hug it out bro.

Let's hug it out bro.

I haven't read the posts before this page, but you seem like you were deeply hurt,
and made a generalization as to how to act to all women from that point on. There is nothing wrong with that. It's part of your survival instincts.

I do disagree with the conclusions you drew though. There exists a woman, or more than one out there, who will love you and who won't lose their respect for you just because you cry in front of them.

I appreciate the support man. But my beliefs were reinforced after I was done with her. I have been much more successful in getting laid with the new knowledge I gained.

wandering

Banned
Yup, real men don't cry, it's just how it's always been...

The Odyssey said:
“there on the headland, sitting, still
weeping, his eyes never dry, his sweet life flowing away
with the tears he wept for his foiled journey home,
since the nymph no longer pleased.”

The Aeneid said:
"With sighs and tears I leave my native shore,
And empty fields, where Ilium stood before."

The Iliad said:
"But the woman went with them reluctantly, whilst Achilles, weeping, immediately sat down, removed apart from his companions, upon the shore of the hoary sea, gazing on the darkling main"

Beowulf said:
"Then kissed the king of kin renowned,
Scyldings’ chieftain, that choicest thane,
and fell on his neck. Fast flowed the tears
of the hoary-headed. Heavy with winters,
he had chances twain, but he clung to this, —
that each should look on the other again,
and hear him in hall."

Le Morte d'Arthur said:
"THEN Sir Launcelot sighed, and therewith the tears fell
on his cheeks, and then he said thus: Alas, most noble
Christian realm, whom I have loved above all other realms,
and in thee I have gotten a great part of my worship, and
now I shall depart in this wise."

Unbounded

I didn't say men don't use feelings at all, or that women don't use logic. It is just weighted less in the decisions they make. Even for stuff that goes beyond relationships.

Your experience is a bit too limited for statements like that to hold much weight, you know.

Ekai

A woman will not respect you as a man if you cry in front of her, unless she is your wife, mother or sister etc.

You are lying to yourself if you think this isn't true, its biological. Why would she want to have sex with a weak man who can't even handle himself or his own problems? How is he going to protect her and her potential children?

....Life is about more than procreation for starters...not even getting into what the others have said. You really need to meet more women.....and learn more about relationships.

sant

Word of advice, do not treat women as a monolith and use your anecdotal evidence to paint a wide brush on women as a whole and realize what this woman did to you was solely her own doing and it had nothing to do with her being a woman. Treat people as individuals regardless of gender.

The only negative consequences I have received has been the backlash I have gotten in this thread. It has helped me in the real world. Makes decision making quicker and easier when you have a reliable framework to paint someone with so you can anticipate their actions and be prepared.

Ekai

I appreciate the support man. But my beliefs were reinforced after I was done with her. I have been much more successful in getting laid with the new knowledge I gained.

This sounds like it's approaching PUA territory....especially in conjunction with the post I previously quoted.

I got broken up with one girl one time and now I judge all women the same way.

A white person robbed me at gunpoint once and now I judge all white people the same way.

A radical Muslim tried to carry out a terrorist on my school, and now I judge all Muslims the same way.

DO YOU NOT SEE THE FUCKING PROBLEM WITH YOUR LOGIC?

Glass Rebel

The only negative consequences I have received has been the backlash I have gotten in this thread. It has helped me in the real world. Makes decision making quicker and easier when you have a reliable framework to paint someone with so you can anticipate their actions and be prepared.

Until you have a moment of weakness and have no one to rely on :)

I work with children ages 6-7.
Disarming the taboo about crying isn't hard.
I often explain how crying is good for them and how it releases calming substances in the body.

Every year I read the brothers Lionheart for my class and I always explain before how I almost always cry at certain parts of the book cause it is really sad.
They always understand and since we have talked about it it doesn't bother them if they see a tear rolling down my cheek or my voice breaking.
My partner doesn't mind if I show emotions. And I feel sorry for the men and women who can't cry. And I feel sorry fort heir kids.

luulubuu

A woman will not respect you as a man if you cry in front of her, unless she is your wife, mother or sister etc.

You are lying to yourself if you think this isn't true, its biological. Why would she want to have sex with a weak man who can't even handle himself or his own problems? How is he going to protect her and her potential children?

You forgot the /s

Ekai

I have to question that and how you perceive situations. This combined with other things you've said sounds borderline like you view people as objects for you to manipulate. I hope you come to see people for who they are rather than what you wish them to be. I can say with confidence you probably have had many assumptions that were wrong, but people were too polite to you out of being potentially uncomfortable, for you to notice how far off base you were.

Like, seriously dude, this is kinda super weird to hear. You need some self-perspective.

Rayis

Well, there's not much else I can tell you, hopefully one day you will decide to look at women as the complex individuals they are than just as a means to get your rocks off.
Also, this....
PUAs are disgusting human beings.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have you, right gaf? Even tho we disagree we can still be understanding of each other's opinions.
The only understanding that one can glean from your incredibly narrow-minded view of women is that you inherently don't understand women in anyway shape or form.

jb1234

I don't read the nonsense they come up with but I engineered my own solution that works for me. I don't purposefully hurt women or do any fucked up psycho shit like that.

You honestly write like a robot. I'm sorry you were so deeply hurt but can't you see how badly you're overcompensating?

I've read articles about how men tend to take break ups harder than women because they have little to no emotional support network. See it in action all the time on GAF. It honestly saddens me =/

It's very sad. It's why close friendship is so important.

i know this isn't adding anything of importance to the conversation, but if i had a boyfriend who also cried at stuff i'd be pretty happy because i always feel real silly when i cry at the end of games/movies/tv shows, even if society dictates it's okay for me to do so. i wouldn't have to feel dumb anymore because he'd get it!!

Glass Rebel

I have you, right gaf? Even tho we disagree we can still be understanding of each other's opinions.

I mean, I hope that's sufficient for you.

I've read articles about how men tend to take break ups harder than women because they have little to no emotional support network. See it in action all the time on GAF. It honestly saddens me =/

I've seen it with the ex of my best friend. She got over her breakup after a 5 year relationship relatively quickly all things considered because she had her friends including me. After that she dated a friend from high school for a few months, they had a friendly break up because it didn't work but dude is still suffering from it almost a year later because he doesn't have that emotional support network you mention.

Prologue

I talked to one woman who didn't respect her boyfriend from crying.

He would consistency cry over hurtful reddit comments towards him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I talked to one woman who didn't respect her boyfriend from crying.

He would consistency cry over hurtful reddit comments towards him.
That's actually amazing. I've been triggered before by writing on the internet, but...... tears?

Ekai

i know this isn't adding anything of importance to the conversation, but if i had a boyfriend who also cried at stuff i'd be pretty happy because i always feel real silly when i cry at the end of games/movies/tv shows, even if society dictates it's okay for me to do so. i wouldn't have to feel dumb anymore because he'd get it!!

Nah, it adds to the current convo.

Kaizer

Banned
I saw my father cry once in my life.

It's something that's seared into my memory.

One of the most uncomfortable/stressful things I've ever witnessed.

Same, it was when my mother was in the hospital and we thought we were going to lose her. My Dad's a pretty tough dude, so I'd never seen him just completely break like that before.

Me on the hand - I'm a naturally emotional person & while I wouldn't say I'm a frequent crier, I also don't hesitate to show my emotions. Last show or movie that me cry was the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror. My mom & I were both sobbing messes lol

Yup, real men don't cry, it's just how it's always been...

Was going to mention something like this, the past is filled with literary works of leaders, kings and mythical heroes who've all shed tears for whatever reason.

Is this a recent thing? I grew up being taught that ''real men don't cry'' but the more I read the more I thought that was utter bull.

Men commit violence more often, commit mass shootings due to emotional dysfunction more often, etc. Women's brains are also found to be more analytical than men's brains.

Again, you're just employing pseudoscience. Sorry that you had a bad experience with one person, but this doesn't justify an almost pathological response to the entire gender.

I don't read the nonsense they come up with but I engineered my own solution that works for me. I don't purposefully hurt women or do any fucked up psycho shit like that.

So you only hurt women accidentally? I just don't get what the point of clarifying hurting women on purpose is

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
There are times when I cry when I'm sad but also when I'm stressed or angry. Those times, I sometimes wish I could get angry instead of cry, it seems cleaner somehow.

Keri

The stigma against men crying is silly and hurtful. Personally, I don't know a single woman who wants her SO to hide his feelings from her. Instead, I constantly hear women trying to figure out ways to get their partner's to open up more.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
my bullies in elemental school (figuratively) stamped all the crying out of me when i was a kid

my teachers (and therefore parents) told me to try to stop crying because it was making me a target

Same. I was told to go to my room and cry in my pillow and I been doing it ever since

Was going to mention something like this, the past is filled with literary works of leaders, kings and mythical heroes who've all shed tears for whatever reason.

Is this a recent thing? I grew up being taught that ''real men don't cry'' but the more I read the more I thought that was utter bull.

What I think could be the reason is this- if you're a king or a hero, you're expected to be dealing with the heaviest of shit like saving the world. So it's okay for them to cry.

Alternatively it humanizes them so people can go "he's one of us"

Odoul

Same, it was when my mother was in the hospital and we thought we were going to lose her. My Dad's a pretty tough dude, so I'd never seen him just completely break like that before.

Me on the hand - I'm a naturally emotional person & while I wouldn't say I'm a frequent crier, I also don't hesitate to show my emotions. Last show or movie that me cry was the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror. My mom & I were both sobbing messes lol

He was in a pretty bad car accident earlier that day.

His van rolled over that morning. He wasn't discharged till that evening. He's always been a tough, not overly sentimental guy and he still was.

He was sleep and my little brother and I were playing around midnight and he fell and chipped his tooth.

We woke him and told him what happened. It was like someone flipped a switch in him and he just bawled like a baby.

Twenty years and I still don't like going back to that memory, but I can remember like it happened yesterday.

AoM

What I think could be the reason is this- if you're a king or a hero, you're expected to be dealing with the heaviest of shit like saving the world. So it's okay for them to cry.

Alternatively it humanizes them so people can go "he's one of us"

Yeah. I can't speak about the others, but the first three are going through some shit.

I've only loved one woman and she crushed me like a bug. I showed her my softer and vulnerable side, and then she lost respect for me. She lost all of the attraction she had for me.

Maybe pointless seeing as you're banned, but I call bullshit on this.

Something else happened here, it's probably your general behaviour and possibly how you treated her, but instead of doing some introspection and assessing your behaviour, you've decided she dumped you because you were vulnerable (which is complete bullshit) around her and now use that to justify holding some extremely questionable opinions.

Maybe pointless seeing as you're banned, but I call bullshit on this.

Something else happened here, it's probably your general behaviour and possibly how you treated her, but instead of doing some introspection and assessing your behaviour, you've decided she dumped you because you were vulnerable (which is complete bullshit) around her and now use that to justify holding some extremely questionable opinions.

Yeah, I was talking w/ someone on Discord about this. Without claiming that he was 100% in the wrong, half of the time when I see these biotruth people basing things on anecdotes, the anecdotes turn out to be outlandish or very obviously dripping with bias against the woman.

WriterGK

He usually move his head left to right has sign of disapproval and leave the room without saying anything XD

Fighting spirit I guess, someone that let it go in one rage scream and prepared to take action seems stronger to me than someone crying and doing nothing else.

That's better then what I expected. But I still think he is wrong. A good dad would rather have given a hug.

Top Bottom