• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Men Cry

A woman will not respect you as a man if you cry in front of her, unless she is your wife, mother or sister etc.

You are lying to yourself if you think this isn't true, its biological. Why would she want to have sex with a weak man who can't even handle himself or his own problems? How is he going to protect her and her potential children?

Edit: post for a new page

Not sure I need the respect of someone who can't handle basic emotions, tbh.

Dereck

A woman will not respect you as a man if you cry in front of her, unless she is your wife, mother or sister etc.

You are lying to yourself if you think this isn't true, its biological. Why would she want to have sex with a weak man who can't even handle himself or his own problems? How is he going to protect her and her potential children?

This is with the implication that a person crying means that the person is weak, which I think untrue.

sant

This is with the implication that a person crying means that the person is weak, which I think untrue.

Women make their decisions based on their feelings, not logic. You can't alter a woman's feelings with your logic. You can try.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

It probably isn't even a conscious thing with women. Maybe with some it is.
Women make their decisions based on their feelings, not logic. You can't alter a woman's feelings with your logic. You can try.
These certainly aren't incredibly inaccurate sweeping generalizations. /s Christ some of you people act like women are a different species completely with your assumptions that they react solely one way based on any given situation instead of a case by case basis.

sant

These certainly aren't incredibly inaccurate sweeping generalizations. /s Christ some of you people act like women are a different species completely with your assumptions that they react solely one way based on any given situation instead of a case by case basis.

I am speaking from my own experiences with all of the women I've been intimate with. Not from a butthurt outlook on life. If you disagree then refute my points.

Edit: they use their feelings when its stuff to do about men they are interested in. Why do so many women swear up and down that they hate their ex and then end up fucking him or getting back together? Love is on the opposite side of the coin as hate. They make their decisions based on their feelings. You can manipulate these to your advantage as a man if you wanted to.

Meffer

If a woman can't accept my feelings whether I'm fine or crying for whatever reason, I don't think she can be the one for me.

Thinking about what's make you sad is the worst thing you can do, you have to make your head thinking about something else, that's why you need to move, to do something, to not let the sadness overwhelmed you, I know we're different people and go through things in different way but standing there doing nothing won't change the situation you're in, things happened, it's how it is, crying won't change anything.

I don't know, I'm not doing it, it's just an idea for someone that need to let it go somehow, screaming one time with rage is stronger in my mind than crying...

Bottling up your emotions and trying not to think about the things that are bothering you is a great way to make your problems even worse. Sometimes you have to think about what makes you sad in order to process it and get it out of your system, and crying is usually part of that.

Zaphrynn

Pretty rich considering you based that opinion on feeling. We're humans. We're illogical as hell, and the people who think they're beacons of logic tend to be less so (because they're less likely to believe small forces in their life affect their decisions and behavior).

It amazes me people this ignorant exist (well, not really).

Edit:

I am speaking from my own experiences with all of the women I've been intimate with. Not from a butthurt outlook on life. If you disagree then refute my points.

Anecdotal evidence is about as far from logic as you can get. Yet you just made a decision based on it.

Crossing Eden

It's almost like the relatively small anecdote from you doesn't represent all women as a whole? And maybe you should expand your anecdote beyond "women I slept with."

Hey sant, serious question.

Have you ever considered that the reason you perceive women to be illogical and driven by emotion is because your logic is unsound, and thus their logic appears to be unsound to you?

matt05891

This is definitely true. While we all want someone to be able to accept our emotions I for sure learned to hide that shit. To be honest unless its an extreme circumstance(happy and sad) i'd argue not to even cry in front of your wife.

We can blame society but at the end of the day it's about picking a partner to HELP you in life's journey. No one wants to deal with other peoples problems when we all have our own. Keep compounding emotions on someone and they will leave. Men and Women.

sant

Hey sant, serious question.

Have you ever considered that the reason you perceive women to be illogical and driven by emotion is because your logic is unsound, and thus their logic appears to be unsound to you?

Maybe. But I have used the knowledge I have gained to my advantage and it has worked pretty damn often for me. Then again, I am just a random dude on the internet. You can come to your own conclusions. I am just sharing my opinion.

Maybe. But I have used the knowledge I have gained to my advantage and it has worked pretty damn often for me. Then again, I am just a random dude on the internet. You can come to your own conclusions. I am just sharing my opinion.

As someone pointed out though, explicitly making sweeping declarations about an entire gender from personal anecdotes is what logical people do not do.

sant

This is definitely true. While we all want someone to be able to accept our emotions I for sure learned to hide that shit. To be honest unless its an extreme circumstance(happy and sad) i'd argue not to even cry in front of your wife.

We can blame society but at the end of the day it's about picking a partner to HELP you in life's journey. No one wants to deal with other peoples problems when we all have our own. Keep compounding emotions on someone and they will leave. Men and Women.

Yes exactly! One of my female friends said that she hates when guys whine and complain about shit. She said that she hears that enough from her friends. She expects something different from men.

Zaphrynn

Keep your emotions from me, and I will leave you. Bury your emotions, and I will leave you. How can I help someone if they aren't honest about how they feel?

Honestly I feel sad for people who think this way.

Meffer

Yes exactly! One of my female friends said that she hates when guys whine and complain about shit. She said that she hears that enough from her friends. She expects something different from men.

That doesn't mean she represents every other woman in the world.

Keep your emotions from me, and I will leave you. Bury your emotions, and I will leave you. How can I help someone if they aren't honest about how they feel?

Zaph, you're being too emotional. Be logical and accept his personal anecdote. :v

Seriously, I know plenty of women who, like you, find a refusal to show emotion as a turnoff.

That doesn't mean she represents every other woman in the world.

Speaking logically, all women are defined by whatever individual I feel should represent the gender.

sant

As someone pointed out though, explicitly making sweeping declarations about an entire gender from personal anecdotes is what logical people do not do.

How could you not make generalizations about a gender? We are almost all identical from a genes and DNA perspective. We live in the same time period. Women and men have been acting the same since forever. There are obviously exceptions to the general rule.

How could you not make generalizations about a gender? We are almost all identical from a genes and DNA perspective. We live in the same time period. Women and men have been acting the same since forever. There are obviously exceptions to the general rule.

Let me make two points.

1. No one said you couldn't. We pointed out that doing something illogical in a post where you talk about the capacity for logic is very silly.

2. Men, even more so than women, are driven by emotion.

I agree with the gist of your post but you went too far with the biotruths. First, it has little to do with female biology, it is more due to the societal satisfaction and schadenfreude of seeing a man fail and everyone does this. One has to learn to not give them the satisfaction of seeing you at your most vulnerable.

gaiages

Banned

Edit: they use their feelings when its stuff to do about men they are interested in. Why do so many women swear up and down that they hate their ex and then end up fucking him or getting back together? Love is on the opposite side of the coin as hate. They make their decisions based on their feelings. You can manipulate these to your advantage as a man if you wanted to.

So all men, in their logical glory, has never gone back to an ex, or made any mistakes in relationships? And saying that 'men can manipulate women's emotions' is insulting to both men and women alike. Men aren't all manipulative asshole and women aren't all in a constant state of emotional meltdown.

You sound like a goddamn sociopath. Have you ever been in an ACTUAL relationship or have you just "logically" made your way into women's pants?

So all men, in their logical glory, has never gone back to an ex, or made any mistakes in relationships? And saying that 'men can manipulate women's emotions' is insulting to both men and women alike. Men aren't all manipulative asshole and women aren't all in a constant state of emotional meltdown.

You sound like a goddamn sociopath. Have you ever been in an ACTUAL relationship or have you just "logically" made your way into women's pants?

You gotta love those biotruth people who disparage men harder than I've seen any feminist do so. The only woman who seems to hate men more than people like sant are women like Aileen Wuornos.

Zaphrynn

You gotta love those biotruth people who disparage men harder than I've seen any feminist do so.

It's just the way it is!

Musicians have made millions from spilling their emotions publicly. I'm sure Trent Reznor's wife is gonna divorce him for singing about his emotions and weaknesses lol.

sant

I've only loved one woman and she crushed me like a bug. I showed her my softer and vulnerable side, and then she lost respect for me. She lost all of the attraction she had for me.

I've been called a sociopath, I'd say it is a fair assessment.

Crossing Eden

How could you not make generalizations about a gender?
Because that gender is comprised of literally billions of people.

EDIT:Good lord you're basing this on literally ONE woman?!!!! Literally this in action:
how_it_works.png

Meffer

I've only loved one woman and she crushed me like a bug. I showed her my softer and vulnerable side, and then she lost respect for me. She lost all of the attraction she had for me.

To me it looks like then she wasn't for you. You did nothing wrong. The fact she turned you down so quickly after you gave yourself to her really points out there was something wrong with her.

Rayis

Implying a man should seek the acceptance and respect of a random woman he doesn't know, implying what you said is actually true in the first place and most women wouldn't care, implying she wants sex in the first place.

Hella problematic post.

KmA

Omg lmao. As if men don't do this at all. Or that (straight) men act at all logical when they see a pair of tits.

Anyway,

Back in April I had a pretty severe panic attack while I was at a bar and thankfully my friends got my ass out of there. But as we were waiting for our Uber I was basically hysterically crying and I could barely control it. It seemed like every woman walking by offered to help or wanted to check to see if I was ok. I mean I'm not like a middle aged man, I'm in my early 20s so I don't know how people would have reacted if I was much older. Not exactly my finest moment.

sant

To me it looks like then she wasn't for you. You did nothing wrong. The fact she turned you down so quickly after you gave yourself to her really points out there was something wrong with her.

Who knows man. I try not to think about it anymore.

matt05891

Well I think this way from making the mistake (a few times) in the past. There is talking to someone about your problems, and then there is crying and being overly emotional. Crying once because of something is fine. Multiple times if it's huge is fine too. It's when you constantly barrage your SO with your emotions that you will lose them. However I know for a fact that near the end of my long term relationships that me being emotional at the close helped accelerate their departure even if it was mutual.

If you experience different then I'm glad for you. This is the world I experienced though.

If something tends to be correct for more than 50% of them, then why not?

"Wow black people love watermelons. I mean over 50% of them tend to love watermelons, so it's true right?"

Do you not see how this statement is racist?

Do you not see how your statement is misogynistic?

Crossing Eden

Because you've only been with one person and are so bitter about it that you're using that to literally define an entire gender. Yet you're going on about only men use logic and women use feelings....

gaiages

Banned

I'm surprised you know so many women on such a personal level to make such a statement

I'd love to personally know millions of people too, teach me your ways

Zaphrynn

Omg lmao. As if men don't do this at all. Or that (straight) men act at all logical when they see a pair of tits.

Anyway,

Back in April I had a pretty severe panic attack while I was at a bar and thankfully my friends got my ass out of there. But as we were waiting for our Uber I was basically hysterically crying and I could barely control it. It seemed like every woman walking by offered to help or wanted to check to see if I was ok. I mean I'm not like a middle aged man, I'm in my early 20s so I don't know how people would have reacted if I was much older. Not exactly my finest moment.

Don't worry about it. It's literally impossible to stop a full blown panic attack when it happens due to the chemicals coursing through you. Best you can do is accept that it's happening, try and take deep, long breaths and wait it out. The more you try to forcefully suppress it, the worse it gets. I've fainted in public before. It is what it is =)

Well I think this way from making the mistake (a few times) in the past. There is talking to someone about your problems, and then there is crying and being overly emotional. Crying once because of something is fine. Multiple times if it's huge is fine too. It's when you constantly barrage your SO with your emotions that you will lose them. However I know for a fact that near the end of my long term relationships that me being emotional at the close helped accelerate their departure even if it was mutual.

If you experience different then I'm glad for you. This is the world I experienced though.

There's a difference between not having your shit together at all and not trying, and letting your SO know what you're feeling. Emotional doesn't only mean a complete loss of control. We're emotional creatures that feel. Nothing wrong with that. I've long-term dated people with bipolar, and people with severe general anxiety. Both of these come with losing emotional control (though I think this isn't a good word to use, usually). I had problems with the person with bipolar because they did nothing to help themselves. That's where the problem is.

There are totally people that judge men based on crying, being sad, etc. Instead of conforming to these assholes, say fuck 'em, and find someone who appreciates your humanity.

Have you asked me?

Let's hug it out bro.

Let's hug it out bro.

I haven't read the posts before this page, but you seem like you were deeply hurt,
and made a generalization as to how to act to all women from that point on. There is nothing wrong with that. It's part of your survival instincts.

I do disagree with the conclusions you drew though. There exists a woman, or more than one out there, who will love you and who won't lose their respect for you just because you cry in front of them.

Unbounded

For what it's worth, I've heard from a disheartening number of women that they don't want anything to do with a guy who shows his emotions.

It's a thing, and at least in the areas I've lived, it's way more common than it has any business being.

Glass Rebel

The first and only time I cried in front of a woman that wasn't related to me was like 2 weeks ago when I watched Inside Out with my girlfriend and the only thing that happened is that she has become way more comfortable about the idea of being in a serious relationship. lmao

sant

Because you've only been with one person and are so bitter about it that you're using that to literally define an entire gender. Yet you're going on about only men use logic and women use feelings....

I didn't say men don't use feelings at all, or that women don't use logic. It is just weighted less in the decisions they make. Even for stuff that goes beyond relationships.

Rayis

Word of advice, do not treat women as a monolith and use your anecdotal evidence to paint a wide brush on women as a whole and realize what this woman did to you was solely her own doing and it had nothing to do with her being a woman. Treat people as individuals regardless of gender.

Top Bottom