• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS4Daily RUMOR] ps4 developers will have access to 7GB of GDDR5 heaven

Dibbz

1GB for the OS sounds great. Hopefully they don't have the same problem as this gen where they shoehorned in game XMB but it was laggy.

dmr87

EEn.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
All I'd like to do really in terms of using the system OS while playing a game is being able to change system settings on the fly. I hate how the PS3 asks you to quit a game to change the smallest thing like connecting a bluetooth headset. 1GB of RAM sounds like more than enough for the basics.

I want to get on the HTML5 enabled internet while gaming. Can 1 GB of ram do this?

daveo42

Banned
It's about what I expected. The leaks said 512 I think but I doubt that was taking some features into account like the constant video recording. 1GB is reasonable.

It's still a good trade off considering the amount of ram they are getting. Could the bump to 1GB be because GDDR5 has a higher latency as opposed to DDR3?

Durante

That's very reasonable. Should be enough for a lot of OS functionality, though I actually expected them to reserve 2 GB (simply because they can).

1GB for the OS sounds great. Hopefully they don't have the same problem as this gen where they shoehorned in game XMB but it was laggy.

It won't cause OS has a locked amount of RAM so it basically works like with Vita. You can use the OS full speed while game is suspended.

coldfoot

Banned
I want to get on the HTML5 enabled internet while gaming. Can 1 GB of ram do this?
You can do that on an iPad mini with 512MB total RAM. 1GB is a good amount for OS and the right way to do things is to reserve as much as you think you will ever need and then slowly give it back with optimization.

trmas

Banned
My friends who work for MS told me to expect something along the lines of 12 GB of RAM in the next XBox - 4 of which is reserved for the OS. Basically, they said it is a memory hog and will be based on Windows 8. Expect to see interconnectivity with all of MS devices...

Seeing what an utter piece of crap W8 is, that isn't an encouraging thought.

McHuj

IMO, that's the biggest discrepancy between the two rumored specs. Flop differences will translate to lower frame rates/resolutions.

Memory differences will affect the games state and all the assets.

I wonder how the reserve CPU core counts are going to settle as well.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
We going to get clunky and slow OS again aren't we.

Of course, being more than 10x in size and more than 6x in bandwidth than the PS3 it should be a dog. Not to mention BSD is so much slower than Windows.

coldfoot

Banned
My friends who work for MS told me to expect something along the lines of 12 GB of RAM in the next XBox - 4 of which is reserved for the OS. Basically, they said it is a memory hog and will be based on Windows 8. Expect to see interconnectivity with all of MS devices...

12 GB is devkits. For a mass produced device, going with more than 8GB greatly increases costs and motherboard complexity at the moment until we get higher density ram chips.

noooooooooo i wanted the whole 8gb for games :((((((( lets hope sony reduces the os footprint like they did with the ps3 over time.

Durante

I really think people are overestimating the immediate impact of one or two GB more once you get beyond 5GB. These systems aren't specced to really use that much memory effectively every frame. Most likely, it would only result in small loading time differences in the vast majority of cases.

As a complete technological ignoramus, does the persistent recording cut into the RAM?
That depends on how they implement it. It's a bit of a tradeoff between using more RAM and causing disk traffic more often.

Demon Ice

Banned
We going to get clunky and slow OS again aren't we.

Are you kidding me? If you want a clunky and slow OS look at the 360 Dashboard. I feel like I'm wading through molasses every time I use it.

PS3's is so snappy in comparison. Sony knows how to make a good console OS. Only using up 1 GB of the system RAM is lean as hell. Compare that to Durango's rumored 3 GB OS overhead.

Nibel

WiiU Daily posted a bunch of fake rumors if I remember correctly

If PS4 Daily is from the same dude(s)..

Tomcat

obviously you haven't used windows 8. In fact win8 runs even better on low spec machines than win 7.

Proelite

Dev kits.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

That's probably devkits if true but more importantly why would an embedded version of Windows need 4GB of memory? This is counter to everything Microsoft have done in the last 8 years or so with things like the MinWin project.

Are you kidding me? If you want a clunky and slow OS look at the 360 Dashboard. I feel like I'm wading through molasses every time I use it.

PS3's is so snappy in comparison. Sony knows how to make a good console OS. Only using up 1 GB of the system RAM is lean as hell. Compare that to Durango's rumored 3 GB OS overhead.

I dunno about 360 but PS3 OS during gameplay is pretty terrible so that is one improvement I am looking foreward to with PS4. Vita OS is godlike.

McHuj

If that's true, then the current leaked specs are wrong as 12 GB of RAM would require a 384-bit memory bus for 24 4Gb chips. We'll see.

Top Bottom