• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS4Daily RUMOR] ps4 developers will have access to 7GB of GDDR5 heaven

EEn.gif

Man, Arnold was like a greek god statue...

driver116

I really think people are overestimating the immediate impact of one or two GB more once you get beyond 5GB. These systems aren't specced to really use that much memory effectively every frame. Most likely, it would only result in small loading time differences in the vast majority of cases.

That depends on how they implement it. It's a bit of a tradeoff between using more RAM and causing disk traffic more often.

FOV, Pop-in, will be affected.

i-Lo

I really think people are overestimating the immediate impact of one or two GB more once you get beyond 5GB. These systems aren't specced to really use that much memory effectively every frame. Most likely, it would only result in small loading time differences in the vast majority of cases.

Indeed that is why I am saddened that Sony didn't reserve up to 4GB for OS at launch if not more (for eg: 3GB for games and 5GB for OS) because next gen is all about OS functions, cable shows and smartglass like features where entertainment can be taken on the go. Gaming is secondary is best done on a platform where there are no ram limits for either OS or games.

MS will perhaps eat Sony when it comes to features.

Are you kidding me? If you want a clunky and slow OS look at the 360 Dashboard. I feel like I'm wading through molasses every time I use it.

PS3's is so snappy in comparison. Sony knows how to make a good console OS. Only using up 1 GB of the system RAM is lean as hell. Compare that to Durango's rumored 3 GB OS overhead.

Lololol... I have both, and both are slow, and PS3 is even slower sometimes.

AAK

So I mean, you can technically stream a game live on ustream with thousands of people watching your broadcast while playing a graphically demanding game at its default graphical settings? And that whole process can be handly with just a paltry 1 GB of RAM?

Because I was always under the impression that streaming in 720p requires a freiking powerful pc. Maybe all game will have to be changed when the player enters streaming mode the same way Tekken Tag 2 reduces the graphics when you play online?

My friends who work for MS told me to expect something along the lines of 12 GB of RAM in the next XBox - 4 of which is reserved for the OS. Basically, they said it is a memory hog and will be based on Windows 8. Expect to see interconnectivity with all of MS devices...

Seeing what an utter piece of crap W8 is, that isn't an encouraging thought.

Eh. "Friend who works for MS" is wrong, I believe.

If the OS is taking is 512 MB, reserving an extra 512 MB in order to make it upgradable and future proof is quite smart. They won't get in another situation where features like CGC can not be implemented due to lack of free RAM.

There should at least be 1 GB in reserve for future proofing. After all MS is a software company and you bet your ass there will be a lot of OS innovations in the 720.

DieH@rd

Banned
1GB is more than enough. PS3 used ~50 MB.

Heck, this would be more than enough even for that rumored 15 minute of gameplay recording. 720p @ 4mbits x 15 minutes = 450MB.

kitch9

Banned
So the desire for it to be 512MB goes unrequited.

Oh well, let's hope that the devs don't run into bottlenecks at launch because of it. Still, I guess it's better than 2GB being reserved.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Are you kidding me? If you want a clunky and slow OS look at the 360 Dashboard. I feel like I'm wading through molasses every time I use it.

PS3's is so snappy in comparison. Sony knows how to make a good console OS. Only using up 1 GB of the system RAM is lean as hell. Compare that to Durango's rumored 3 GB OS overhead.

Consider what both are doing. MS are doing what the current OS does on 32mb (not forgetting they've updated a number of times, putting further strain on those limited resources) whereas Sony are doing what their current OS does (not much) on 50mb (reduced from 120mb).

It's no wonder MS's might be more slow considering how much it's changed. MS didn't do a very good job of future proofing, whereas Sony had no intention of changing their OS, only refining it so they had no need to future proof.

That doesn't appear to be the case this time, both are future proofing in their own ways and that can only be good for the consumer.

water1111

Banned
1GB will be nothing when you're going have to stream 1080P when people are going to watch you, the machine will run like a snail.

Hatten

Think that this thing has to last another 5-6 years

Sure there are tablets like the ipad2 that only have 512mb of RAM for both OS and apps, but 6 years from now every tablet is going to have 4GB of RAM, even some phones have 2GB right now.

So it makes sense, future-wise

Pillville

As a complete technological ignoramus, does the persistent recording cut into the RAM?

Whatever amount of RAM they give the game developers on day 1 will be the same until the end of the generation.

They could increase it later by reducing the OS footprint (giving up some of their 1GB), but they can never take away from the 7GB. That would cause any game that used all 7GB to crash.

Keep in mind this 1 GB is for the Unix based Core OS as well as Core Applications which we want to run from the XMB.

If you want to pause the game LIVE and go to the PSN Store as well as bring up a browser then having 1 Gigaybte makes perfect sense. Particularly, if other apps like Chat, Video, DVR, Tweeting, etc. are all running in the background.

In fact... A fully decked out Web Browser alone can eat 100's of megabytes to cache everything nicely for speedy response.

I think its the right compromise.

jaypah

Good. If they were going for half that originally then maybe they're future proofing. That's still a lot of ram left to play with.

Afrikan

So I guess they decided to waste 512 mb on useless features

or they got wind of what Microsoft has planned for their OS...as well as just keeping a reserve for stuff they have planned down the road.

also this can be looked as similar to what Ken wanted with the PS3 to be difficult to develop for, so that games would look better as the gen went along. With this much memory reserved, if they feel they can lower the requirement over time, then games will look better as time goes on...let alone with devs getting to know the system better.

Durante

Indeed that is why I am saddened that Sony didn't reserve up to 4GB for OS at launch if not more (for eg: 3GB for games and 5GB for OS) because next gen is all about OS functions, cable shows and smartglass like features where entertainment can be taken on the go. Gaming is secondary is best done on a platform where there are no ram limits for either OS or games.

I don't know if you're being serious, but I think that's going way too far in the other direction. I think 2 GB would have been perfect, maybe 3 to be safe against any OS level functionality MS might throw at them.

I reaaaallly can't see MS going with 3GB for OS. Sounds like overkill :p

Its actually possible MS could do this, but it would be for the strategic idea that the 720 should be a full computer OS rather than an embedded OS for gaming/media.

It really depends on what they plan to market the device as.

3GB for a OS is crazy talk .

i-Lo

Should've gone for 9gb GDDR5.
Cerny betrayed us!

Na mang, we will once again be reunited texture pop ins, low resolution textures, long load times. Good ol' times mang.

3GB for a OS is crazy talk .

No, 5GB for OS.

I don't know if you're being serious, but I think that's going way too far in the other direction. I think 2 GB would have been perfect, maybe 3 to be safe against any OS level functionality MS might throw at them.

Next gen is about gaming, esp. on consoles? News to me. With all the features, Sony should have just gone with cheap DDR3.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Vita is faaassst, fastest games system OS I've used by far, and uses a quarter of the RAM.

Since the update especially with video streaming it has rendered the vita youtube app obsolete, just go to the actual site its a thing of beauty. Can't wait to see how PS Vita evolves. I was hoping for the PS4 OS to be ultra streamlined but effective. Was hopeful that it would only require half a gig.

They've claimed that their focus is on gaming. If that's their focus then they should give as little up as possible to the OS. So 1gb seems reasonable.

Yeah, Sony claims a lot of things. But you know well that Sony was really hurt by the lack of memory this current gen. More importantly Sony knows it. You would be crazy if you think that OS/Media are not a big part of the PS4. We already know from the PS3 that Sony focuses a lot on media and OS. Future proof it with 2GB of ram for OS so they won´t the same problem this gen. 6 GB of GDDR5 is plenty for games.

Top Bottom