• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber may already be shady, but how they handled EDC2017 was on another level.

Bit of a long story I guess. Have a seat.

I went to my first EDC this year. It was great, and everyone (from my perspective) seemed to have a blast.

My friends and I didn't wanna deal with driving and parking, so we Ubered. We knew we'd pay a lot as it was gonna be a crowded area. Way there wasn't too horrific. $60. Nice driver. After the event ended though, the way back was kinda insane. You were shuffled into one of two huge groups: Driving yourself home, or Ubering. There were attendees dressed in Uber shirts funneling you to designated Uber-pick-up zones. We were gonna be in the latter. So we pull up the app: $165 for 15 miles. Pretty insane. We ponder whether to wait the surge out or not. Then we see on maps that there's an iHop about 3 miles away. We figure we'll walk to that. And by the time we reach it, we'll be physically out of the surge zone and just uber from there.

None of the attendants though, (be it Uber or the venu's security) knew where to direct anyone who wanted to exit the premises on foot. There's a basic, worn out sidewalk along the road outside the venue, but it's like nobody accounted for anyone without a car to leave the place via walking only to be picked up elsewhere. After asking around and walking further some more, the "I dunnos" flat out turned to "You can't be here on foot. Go back." There was even a cop threatening to ticket people choosing to walk out. Merely walking out apparently = trespassing? They were collectively doing everything short of flat out saying that without your own vehicle, you were not allowed to leave without paying the $160. How is this legal?

We roamed around some more and found another couple who apparently had the same plan as ours' but were roaming around for 2 hours trying to find a way to leave and get out on foot. Eventually, all of us together found one cop on the premises who finally allowed us to walk out, while expressing concern about the heat and making sure we all had water.

I totally get and understand these safety concerns given that the temperature was already in the triple digits at 7am. But the way this was handled just doesn't seem kosher to me. I singled out Uber in my thread title, but as stated, the venue's security and some of the cops seemed to all be a part of the issue. Cherry on top was when we got outta the surge zone after walking 3 miles and called an Uber, they kept canceling on us. One of them flat out "offering" to pick us up if we walk back to EDC as that's the "designated Uber pickup zone." Finally called Lyft and got a ride on the first try for $30.

Sidenote:

I never thought the whole "PLUR" thing was real, but when we were walking on the sidewalk, the road was jammed with bumper to bumper traffic filled with other ravers going home. People were consistently hopping outta their stopped cars to offer us (and others on foot) extra bottles of water, hand fans, etc. It was a really sweet aspect of EDC or rave culture.

DonShula

For all the dumb things Uber does, this doesn't sound like their fault. Maybe poor event planning in general on the foot traffic deal.

Just to be clear. EDC is Electric Daisy Carnival?

Yes.

For all the dumb things Uber does, this doesn't sound like their fault. Maybe poor event planning in general on the foot traffic deal.

This has nothing to do with Uber specifically

But Lyft > Uber for, like, forever

Yeah I think the event/venue/some of the cops were the issue. But it seemed like they had some deal or set up set in place with Uber. And it felt so skeevy to see Uber jack up the prices to that degree knowing they were being touted as "the only way out." Definitely not saying it all falls down on Uber. Maybe my thread title is unfair in retrospect.

Somnid

Yeah I think the event/venue/some of the cops were the issue. But it seemed like they had some deal or set up set in place with Uber. And it felt so skeevy to see Uber jack up the prices to that degree knowing they were being touted as "the only way out." Definitely not saying it all falls down on Uber. Maybe my thread title is unfair in retrospect.

Surge pricing is algorithmic. Basically if a lot of people are trying to get rides then they have to up the price to increase the driver bounty which in turn gets more drivers. The people dealing with parking were likely temps doing a day job who have little idea about what's going on.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Unless Uber themselves organized EDC it's not their fault that their employees didn't know the venue's exit routes.

Total fire hazard though.

They were the major sponsor.

EDC was a shit show. People waiting over 5 hours for buses, the traffic pattern did not make a lick of sense, they had an entire lot for just Uber, etc.

Uber surging prices wasn't the issue, it was the fucking set up there.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sorry you had that experience but its great people helped out. Its been super hot in Las Vegas this last week. EDC is held at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway right? The place is on the outskirts of the city in the middle of the desert. Heres some map shots so people get an idea how far you had to walk.

mnUjXr7.jpg

jnygDsC.jpg

Heres the Speedway in reference to the Strip
YpfvXVM.jpg

I didn't go but...the EDC website specifically said no pedestrians in the area and police wouldn't allow it. The maps showed drop points for cabs and explained if they didn't drop you off in that designated area you may be out of luck with walking from where they left you.

I know it was a mess but why not use the overpriced shuttle system they had? The entire event seemed like a hassle and if I would ever go during that timeframe, I'd just stick to the day parties and the random events at the clubs at night. Some of those events had dj's not even at the main festival with great lineups. It also seemed cheaper to do it this way.

I'd put a lot of the issues you had on the promotors and the venue.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I didn't go but...the EDC website specifically said no pedestrians in the area and police wouldn't allow it. The maps showed drop points for cabs and explained if they didn't drop you off in that designated area you may be out of luck with walking from where they left you.

I know it was a mess but why not use the overpriced shuttle system they had? The entire event seemed like a hassle and if I would ever go during that timeframe, I'd just stick to the day parties and the random events at the clubs at night. Some of those events had dj's not even at the main festival with great lineups. It also seemed cheaper to do it this way.

When I tried it, it was over 4 hours before we gave up. Some were already past 5 hours waiting. It was a complete shit show where they weren't even checking to see if people had passes or not.

Ashhong

Ah story time! I have a few here. This absolutely seems like Insomniacs fault, I'm still pissed at them. Their handling of traffic is piss poor for such an event.

Free Park and Ride Shuttle: Left around 7 from the Strip to the shuttle parking lot. Quick and easy to get on, no problems. Left the lot around 8 in a school bus with no A/C in 100+ degree heat. I assumed it would have a special route but no, it goes back the way I drove in to the lot and gets hit with traffic. It's probably..10 or so miles from the venue, maybe 15? We were in traffic for over 2 hours. People were getting off other buses and just walking, but our driver wouldn't let us. Eventually people started jumping out the emergency exit. By 10:15 I had had enough and decided to walk the 2 miles to the venue. Bullshit.

Paid Shuttle: Friend left around 7 to the pickup spot on the strip. By the time we had gotten to the venue, 3 hours later, she had barely got on the shuttle. Now this shuttle did have it's own route, but it still took her I think like 2 hours to get there. This is for a ~40$/day shuttle.

Leaving early with Uber: we were all pretty tired and wanted to leave early. Left around 2 with Uber instead of the stupid shuttle. Got there and it was surprisingly nice. They had a big tent setup with nice couches and lounge area with music full of people waiting. You call an Uber, someone accepts and lets you know their lot number. You show the attendant and then you walk out to this big lot with a bunch of Ubers waiting at a pre-labeled spot. Convenient and effective. My trip back to the Strip cost me 22$

Friend who left with Uber: They left around 4 and did the same thing we did. Problem was reception was shady, and the Uber-provided Wifi was super spotty. They called the Uber but never got any kind of notification or update. He couldn't even cancel. Ended up waiting there hoping to get signal for about 30 minutes with no results. He takes the shuttle, and when hes back he sees that he got charged with a cancellation fee (which thye refunded after he complained)

Moral of the story, Insomniac needs to step up their fucking game. This was their 7th year in Vegas and they STILL don't have this shit figured out. Embarrassing.

I mean, EDC is on a whole nother level from day clubs and shitty Vegas clubs. It's not even comparable. It's cheaper but you get a fraction of the experience and DJ lineup, obviously.

Alphahawk

This does not sound like an Uber issue at all, it sounds like a festival trying to cover their butts from being sued by someone having a heat stroke in the desert.

DOWN

Banned
This seems like it has nothing to do with Uber problems as a company and everything to do with police and event organizers

This seems like it has nothing to do with Uber problems as a company and everything to do with police and event organizers
Well when one of those event coordinators is Uber, it does kind of fall on their shoulders.

Large venues have shitty parking and shitty exit strategies. The only place I've ever been to that can let you exit in a timely manner is Disney. Even on July 4th, Christmas, or New Year's eve, I can expect a massive crowd that still has the ability to flow and exit properly, from the parks on foot and the parking lot in cars.

Ashhong

Well when one of those event coordinators is Uber, it does kind of fall on their shoulders.

Large venues have shitty parking and shitty exit strategies. The only place I've ever been to that can let you exit in a timely manner is Disney. Even on July 4th, Christmas, or New Year's eve, I can expect a massive crowd that still has the ability to flow and exit properly, from the parks on foot and the parking lot in cars.

The security does not fall on Ubers shoulders. Just because you are part of an event in some capacity doesn't mean you share the responsibility. This is on insomniac.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'll be the first to tell you what a shit company Uber is, but this is an EDC logistics issue. They aren't the greatest at the whole end of day egress thing.

Getting back to the strip after day 1 last year was a total clusterfuck with missing signage to get to the rideshare or shuttle areas correctly (and no signage at the actual zones...), clueless festival staff giving contradictory directions, and almost complete cellular network node failure in the area making it very difficult to actually get picked up by Uber/Lyft even if you found the pickup spots. There were tons of people wandering around the perimeter, tired and dehydrated, trying to figure out where the hell to go. When we tried to leave the grounds after being directed the wrong way several times and hitting the borders in a long and scorching misadventure after dawn, both festival security and local police posted at the exits would not let us leave on foot. That's understandable for safety reasons considering where the speedway is, but there was actually a bizarrely aggro festival security woman at one of the exits who got threatening and literally wanted to throw down with me -- mind you, I'm speaking clearly, politely, and diplomatically, and defuse situations as a rule, so you gotta have some serious personality issues if you want to start a fight in response to any of that -- after she refused to let us out AND refused to give us directions to the rideshare zones in lieu of that or direct us to someone who would be willing to render assistance AND refused to let us either remain still or move away from her in any direction (??? are we supposed to teleport? sublimate, maybe?).

Fortunately the LVPD nearby were much friendlier and helped us get to the right area, and the aggro security woman did not go through with her ill-advised and totally unprompted threats (to...what...possible...end? lol), and she got reported to the police and to the festival higher ups for being a total nutjob.

EDC itself is always A+, but pretty much the only way out of the place that isn't a potential ordeal is via helicopter.

cdyhybrid

I'll be the first to tell you what a shit company Uber is, but this is an EDC logistics issue. They aren't the greatest at the whole end of day egress thing.

Getting back to the strip after day 1 last year was a total clusterfuck with missing signage to get to the rideshare or shuttle areas correctly (and no signage at the actual zones...), clueless festival staff giving contradictory directions, and almost complete cellular network node failure in the area making it very difficult to actually get picked up by Uber/Lyft even if you found the pickup spots. There were tons of people wandering around the perimeter, tired and dehydrated, trying to figure out where the hell to go. When we tried to leave the grounds after being directed the wrong way several times and hitting the borders in a long and scorching misadventure after dawn, both festival security and local police posted at the exits would not let us leave on foot. That's understandable for safety reasons considering where the speedway is, but there was actually a bizarrely aggro festival security woman at one of the exits who got threatening and literally wanted to throw down with me -- mind you, I'm speaking clearly, politely, and diplomatically, and defuse situations as a rule, so you gotta have some serious personality issues if you want to start a fight in response to any of that -- after she refused to let us out AND refused to give us directions to the rideshare zones in lieu of that or direct us to someone who would be willing to render assistance AND refused to let us either remain still or move away from her in any direction (??? are we supposed to teleport? sublimate, maybe?).

Fortunately the LVPD nearby were much friendlier and helped us get to the right area, and the aggro security woman did not go through with her ill-advised and totally unprompted threats (to...what...possible...end? lol), and she got reported to the police and to the festival higher ups for being a total nutjob.

EDC itself is always A+, but pretty much the only way out of the place that isn't a potential ordeal is via helicopter.

Yep.

Uber is trash, but this one is chalked up to the logistics of getting 150K+ people out of the same place at the same time. A group of friends were trying to get picked up by someone that lived in Vegas two years ago and had to walk around for two hours before they could find a fence to jump before they could get picked up in the clear.

g23

European pre-madonna
I really wanna do EDC again. First time I went was back in 2013 and it was magical. After that year, me and my circle of friends started their careers and grew out of raves...but man that whole year of raving culminating in EDC was dope af.

I saw one of those designated Uber spots at a concert once. I wonder if they handled people the same as you

Keeping you and not letting you can not be legal

Ashhong

They definitely fixed most of that this year. Plenty of signage and a big uber tent with wifi along with a decent system to getting to your uber. Problem is, it's not enough to deal with the thousands and thousands of people at once. The damn speedway needs more points of entry. It's ridiculous.

I wish I could enjoy EDC in general. I didn't have much fun at all. Not sure what it is about it, but it's all just so bland

I could understand the concern about letting people just walk out, it reached 117 today in Vegas and people WILL die in those kind of temps if they don't know what to do. Letting thousands of people, even at 7am when its in the 90s, wander around in the sun seems to be a bad idea especially for people who have been up all night dancing and are probably exhausted and dehydrated.

It'd be nice though if they set up shuttles to take people to the strip, even if its 1-2 hour waits. I can't imagine it being bad for Uber end of the day, people who can afford it would prefer an instant $100-200 uber ride vs waiting hours for a bus.

Ashhong

I could understand the concern about letting people just walk out, it reached 117 today in Vegas and people WILL die in those kind of temps if they don't know what to do. Letting thousands of people, even at 7am when its in the 90s, wander around in the sun seems to be a bad idea especially for people who have been up all night dancing and are probably exhausted and dehydrated.

It'd be nice though if they set up shuttles to take people to the strip, even if its 1-2 hour waits. I can't imagine it being bad for Uber end of the day, people who can afford it would prefer an instant $100-200 uber ride vs waiting hours for a bus.

They did setup shuttles. Well, school buses. Takes you to a parking lot about halfway to the strip. Like I said in my little story above, terrible experience. And with no A/C I honestly think it's dangerous.

Top Bottom