• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP rogue one

First off I thought the entire concept was completely unnecessary from the start. Telling a story that did not need telling and we already knew the outcome and yes it is different than telling the prequels.

Found the whole thing boring tbh. The final act with the battle was good, but apart from that the film had nothing going on.

protagonists were terrible and unlikable apart from leias dad and the guy with the big fking gun. Torkin is always excellent to see but they probably should have used a new voice actor for vader. Jones sounds terrible now.

I like donny but I feel his character was a stereotypical Chinese dude giving out words of wisdom. Instead of chinese proverbs he just babbles about the force and dodging shit because he's blind (force sensitive right guys?). Couldn't he have been a normal character instead of some stereotype.

So much filler and stuff that messes with the continuity of ANH. This is brushed off by pretending the city wasn't destroyed but an accident. Why they need to test it on a city? I'm sure they already have weapons that can vaporise a city but can't blow up a planet because in ANH you see it being tested on a planet for real..

The whole plot line of the MC dad being the architect for the death star even though we see in episode 2 duku receiving the plans, making RnD redundant, which they establish in the film they would have built it without him anyway.

Some positives ithe final battle was good and it was a gritty for a star wars film, everyone died lol.

First hand Disney milking their new ip. So many stories they could have told; instead some ridiculous story of how they got some tech spec of the space station.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Thought it was great, I was thoroughly entertained. Perhaps because I never revered the original trilogy the way some do, and find them to be very average movies, I went into both this and force awakens with no expectations or need to compare them. And I walked out of both very happy.

First hand Disney milking their new ip.

The idea for this movie existed before Lucasfilm was sold. Disney didn't have anything to do with its conception.

Speaking of "milked" sequels to successful precedents: Good luck on this thread being half as interesting or insightful as the Force Awakens thread from last week. So far the ingredients don't seem to be in place ("everyone died lol") but who knows. Some might prefer this one to that one, like some prefer Rogue One to TFA.

daviyoung

Banned
Yep, it's dull as dishwater. It coming from a the same director of the moodybroody Godzilla remake shows. They had to get someone else in to inject some life into the second half. It felt like Suicide Squad, half of it was some auteurs vision, the other half was box ticking blockbusterism. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so but at the end I just couldn't muster a single care for the plot, characters, universe.

Also, the CGI stand-ins will look utter shit in a few years and they'll regret doing it but more likely they'll give the uncannies a retexture and call it a special edition.

"Hope"

Didn't care much for it the first time but I'll give it another chance at some point. Gareth Edwards is an interesting filmmaker but he just doesn't know how to handle his characters. Anyway, I thought Godzilla was pretty disappointing upon first watch but I've grown to appreciate it more and more so that's why I plan on revisiting Rogue One. But the yearly thing has significantly reduced my hype for anything Star Wars related so I'm in no rush.

Didn't care much or it the first time but I'll give it another chance at some point. Gareth Edwards is an interesting filmmaker but he just doesn't know how to handle his characters. Anyway, I thought Godzilla was pretty disappointing upon first watch but I've grown to appreciate it more and more so that's why I plan on revisiting Rogue One. But the yearly thing has significantly reduced my hype for anything Star Wars related so I'm in no rush.

maybe it was the directors fault then since I was bored to tears watching that godzilla. My then gf apologised for making me watch it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
protagonists were terrible and unlikable apart from leias dad and the guy with the big fking gun.

I mean, I'm not a fan of this particular cast whatsoever either, but really? These guys? These were the people who stood out to you?

Senator Organa is practically a glorified cameo and Jiang Wen doesn't really have much to say than just being occasionally grumpy and snarky the entire way through until his last moments.

Nev

Banned
Horrible movie. I felt offended watching this focus tested, reshooted mess, corporate-engineered, merchandise-vehicle, character-less piece of shit.

Worse than Episode II. No hyperbole.

Ferr986

Loved the movie. I think it's slightly better than TFA (and I loved TFA too)even if it's true that the characters are more bland though here.

Torkin is always excellent to see

Is Torkin the lovechild of Tarkin and Porkins?

Grand_Moff_Tarkin.png

porkins.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It need some padding in the beginning and middle... but the build up to the finale was excellent. Easily the best since the OT.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Horrible movie. I felt offended watching this focus tested, reshooted mess, corporate-engineered, merchandise-vehicle, character-less piece of shit.

This thread isn't about TFA tho :^)

aBarreras

what the fuck is this post, yeah focus groups would want for all the protagonists to die...

holy shit

Gin-Shiio

The movie is incredibly long, yet failed to make me feel attached to any of its characters since it keeps introducing one after another. Less would have been much more in this case. As it stands though, the movie missed every emotional punch it wanted to swing at me. And because of that, it becomes a true slog to sit through. I wasn't able to finish it, I'll admit, and also that I'd rather watch any of the prequels one more time.

Nicolada

Best movie after the original trilogy. I actually found the characters fairly likable and was sad to see them die off like that. I thought the pacing was pretty solid too. I've watched and enjoyed it several times now.

Haines

Banned
First 3/4 are boring. The final act is pretty top notch stuff though.

It wasnt bad, just lacked the sort of punch something like guardians has,

Raptomex

Good to know, but this is about Rogue One. And as for the bolded, no. No it's not.

I liked Rogue One. It didn't feel very Star Wars-y some of the time but I enjoyed it. Plus, it has this guy.
Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-Trailer-3-Masked-fighter11-700x350.jpg

That last Vader scene is amazing and I watch it several times a week on Netflix.

I enjoyed the movie as whole. But dat Vader scene.

Osahi

First off I thought the entire concept was completely unnecessary from the start. Telling a story that did not need telling and we already knew the outcome and yes it is different than telling the prequels.

Opinions aside (I enjoyed RO, but found it uneven and the first half sometimes downright boring), I've always found this a stupid argument. Knowing the ending does not mean it renders the story void. It can even be a dramatic tool. Because the audience knows more than the characters it can add extra layers. (Compare it to a scene where two characters are talking at a table. In one version suddenly a bomb explodes, in the other version you were shown the ticking bomb. I would always prefer the second example over the first).

And also: there is a reason why people enjoy seeing or hearing the same story over and over. The road is often more important than the destination.

I'm not saying movies or shows are better if you're spoiled beforehand. Stories where you don't know the ending of are a different kind of experience, which isn't superior or inferior to the other.

I actually enjoyed seeing how the Death Star plans were stolen, and especially how Jynn Erso evolves as a character troughout this adventure we know the ending allready off. It's not of she succeeds, but how she succeeds that's important, and how as a character she overcomes her flaws to do it. (I'll let it up for discussion of RO succeeds in this or not)

GhaleonEB

To paraphrase Ebert, it's not what a movie is about but how it is about it. I think this was an unnecessary story to tell, but it could have been a compelling story none the less. It just wasn't.

There are a lot of flaws, but the entire thing hinges on how little I cared about the characters. Jyn's (Jen? can't remember) relationship with her father was not well realized, and the entire end of the second act when they are reunited lacked any emotional resonance as a result. That story was treading water through the entire second act.

The only moment when I had any emotional reaction was when the robot was killed. I liked his character, his relationship with everyone else, and how he sacrificed himself. Everyone else was just kinda there.

I appreciated how they showed a darker side to the Rebellion, how they have to deploy some ugly tactics to do what they do (killing the informant at the beginning, for instance). And the final space battle is very well orchestrated and kept organized. Very impressive work.

But on the whole the film was a hollow mess. A pretty one, but still a mess. I saw it once and just don't have any interest in a re-watch right now, though I may revisit it down the road when the current trilogy is wrapped up.

It also totally fucked up the hand off to ANH. Leah's terrible CG and bad line was a very ugly cherry on top.

I liked it tbh. Thought it was overall pretty decent and yea the space battle at the end was great.

Forest Whitaker is definitely my least favorite part in this movie tho lol

Gastone

I thought it was a good SW film, but some of the characters could have been a bit more interesting i guess. I enjoyed the somewhat more serious tone of the film, and liked how they managed to keep it feeling like a SW film.

And i guess this thread is gonna turn into a new Bobby Roberts spectacle.

GhaleonEB

Okay, enough thread whining. Please contribute or not but end the meta discussion about whether this thread should exist. If you don't like the thread, don't post in it.

Stoop Man

Disney at it again with whitewashing history to make a buck. The main cast is entirely human. Do people realized how many Bothans died to bring us the Death Star plans?

Kremzeek

i avoided all spoilers, so watched it fresh 2 weeks ago on Netflix.

i really really liked it - loved the robot.
i thought the Leia cameo should have been in silhouette or a hologram - they didn't need to try to digitally recreate her, since i don't think it was convincing.

i think it also needed a couple more Vader scenes, because they were awesome.

but yes i wasn't super attached to most of the characters. still fun though.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I appreciated how they showed a darker side to the Rebellion, how they have to deploy some ugly tactics to do what they do (killing the informant at the beginning, for instance).
I actually wanted to see more of this or rather a better response to the shadiness of it, especially given the backgrounds of Jyn and Cassian. Instead, the informant discard just felt a little too tacked on rather than something to work with. Also, Jyn just abruptly turns optimist in the latter half (if anything, Galen's death should have made her a bigger grouch). I guess one could argue that she changed for her father's sake but the movie doesn't put that across well -- whether subtle or explicit -- if that were the case.

Disney at it again with whitewashing history to make a buck. The main cast is entirely human. Do people realized how many Bothans died to bring us the Death Star plans?
I have no idea if people are being serious or joking about this anymore.

Sojgat

My favourite Star Wars movie since Empire. Upon rewatch, I expected to discover it was indeed the glorified fan film others claimed, but it never happened. I still love it.

Did anyone else think Jiang Wen was going to be the force sensitive one in the end?

Gusy

They nailed the visuals. But time will not be kind on people's perception on the quality of Rogue One..

It's already happening

Sephzilla

The movie is sloppy and a bit slow but picks up and becomes a much better movie after
Vader's first scene
happens.

I think the biggest problem with the movie is that it has no definitive villain. Krennic is kind of the defacto bad guy but
he almost never interacts with the protagonists at all, and is a lackey compared to Tarkin and Vader - neither of whom ever meet the main cast at all. The movie needed a villain who was more actively hunting/pursuing the main cast, which is why I feel like the Death Star plans should have been stolen earlier in the movie and Vader should have been the main villain for the entire final act of the movie.

The terrible characterization made it impossible to care about anything going on.

The trailers didn't look appealing at all but I've heard how this film supposedly had the best Star Wars space battle, yet, so I went ahead anyway. Turns out that, albeit quite good, the space battle still couldn't hold a candle to the one in RotJ.

I tried to watch it again, but I got bored half an hour into it. I also thought it was a story that didn't need to be told. Some things are best left up to the imagination. The films fails its characters. They're shallow and uninteresting. They don't feel like a group overcoming their differences to accomplish something. Of course, they have their moment at the beginning of the third act, but without them struggling against each other at first, it feels like they just meet and then agree to die for each other. It makes the wonderful third act fall flat. Can't get sad over characters dying without having an emotional investment in them.

Top Bottom