• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Death Note (Anime)...What happened after E25...***Spoiler Talk***

Light lost his brain in the second half.
He stretched himself out too far, beating L likely made him think he was some ultimate master manipulator who can easily predict the actions of mere mortals. He was so sure of himself and his perfect rude goldberg plan it never occurred that Mikami could do something so unpredictable that he would need backups(cause his plan is perfect and he's fighting an inferior L)

Eh while it is worse it just reinforces the narrative of the story. Light's hubris undoes him every step of the way, and after killing L he thought himself a literal god and refused to accept anything else. So his downfall is predictable and where the story was always going.

Firemind

The show already took a nosedive when L and Light turned into bros because of the convenient amnesia plot twist. Add Misa to the mix and it was comedy capers.

Near and Mello are awesome by virtue for finishing the job L started.

I think the second half of the show makes it all the more compelling of a series to me. While I think having the whole series be L vs Light, and having one win at the very end would certainly still be compelling, it felt kind of refreshing to have the story stretch out beyond the initial conflict. We get to see who Light is when he actually HAS this power he's been trying to gather together. We see how he grows, and also degrades, as a person. And we get a pretty interesting reversal as instead of a major police task-force with government backing facing a single rogue vigilante, we have two small groups, who by the end of the series have no government backing or are just straight up criminals, facing someone that most would consider the de-facto head of the world by that time.

I agree that Near and Mello don't quite reach L's status, but I found the twist and second half to be super refreshing for a story that, under a more traditional setup, would have ended far earlier and never explored all that.

L: "There's maybe a 5% chance Light is Kira. Let me introduce myself to him and monitor him in person for 20+ episodes until I die."
Near: "There's maybe a 5% chance Light is Kira. Let's act on this suspicion by alerting his teammates and sow chaos in his ranks."
Basically this.
I thought the show started to drag because it seemed like it was just becoming L being suspicious of light and not doing much about it for several episodes. Because of this I didn't mind much when he died (he was an awesome character though). I also didn't mind the new characters and the last episodes were great imo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like the final episode itself, but yeah, the first 25 episodes are significantly better than the rest.

Near fuckin' sucks.

Yeah, after L leaves, most agree the show loses quality.

I read it as an unfortunate side effect of being a serial. They can't just end the series, they've got weekly obligations to meet. So I like to think they did the best with what they had.

There's still some good stuff in the later part of the show, and yes, that ending is pretty great.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
I know its been parodied to hell and back but the "Just according to keikaku" scene really is well done. Especially the first time you see it.
Iconic.
The OST in this show is just stellar.

Servbot24

Banned
I know is been parodied to hell and back but the "Just according to keikaku" scene really is well done. Especially the first time you see it.
The OST in this show is just stellar.

Yeah that scene is amazing. Although it always has me wanting to scream at L to pay attention, lol.

This is what I tell people who I recommend Death Note, end at EP.25 you get a Bad but Best Ending (as in the bad guy wins), continue till the end and you get the Good but Okay Ending (good guys wins). I actually enjoyed how it ended, my issue is that I wanted L to catch Light and not L jr. With L death what the hell was point then. It sucks that the publishers had to push the writers to extend manga. Thankfully I kinda understood thanks to their next work Bakuman.

Servbot24

Banned
This is what I tell people who I recommend Death Note, end at EP.25 you get a Bad but Best Ending (as in the bad guy wins), continue till the end and you get the Good but Okay Ending (good guys wins). I actually enjoyed how it ended, my issue is that I wanted L to catch Light and not L jr. With L death what the hell was point then. It sucks that the publishers had to push the writers to extend manga. Thankfully I kinda understood thanks to their next work Bakuman.

Yeah. That's why I think if they had shown L setting up the "insurance pieces" of Near and Melo before he died - essentially instituting a grandiose chess move to be executed after his death, it really would have been a much more fitting end.

GhostBed

I really enjoyed the change. It was interesting to see Light start to slack off and not think as far ahead anymore.

He killed one of the only people who could keep up with him and he thought he was on top afterwards. His defeat in the end was even sweeter, imo, because he became so arrogant and narcissistic. Not that he wasn't before, but it became blatant after L's death.

Mello wasn't anything special, but I liked Near. Sure he was just a less interesting L, but he was still fun.

The Japanese live action films end things 100% better than the anime

Pretty much. At least the first two movies.

I recommend anyone who disliked the second half of Death Note (manga and anime) to watch the first two movies. They're not the greatest movies or anything, but at least they ended the story before the second half.

Third movie is more of a side story. Not sure of the new (4th? reboot?) movie, though.

Will watch the netflix one, hopefully, they do better.

Sanojio

In the how to read or w/e, the authors stated originally the manga was going to end with L's death. In the warehouse they debated ending with how light was going to win or Mello would finally triumph over Near. But they said Lights arrogance was key to his fall and he never had the right to judge anyone. Also, intelligence wise L is 1, Liight 2, Near 3, Mikami/Mello/Takada

IF light won, there would have been a Kira propaganda TV channel and mikami would have been Lights secret executioner...put a lot of light on things.

They implied Matusudas theory was correct and that Near cheats. They said that "all we know for certain is light told mikami never to remove the notebook."

Yeah, the story and characters could've been better after L's death, but L dying was awesome, because you didn't believe it would happen nor that Light would beat L. Even after L died, I remember still being in disbelief and thinking it wasn't true and somehow L outsmarted Light and faked his death and will come back somehow. LOL

artsi

I thought it was great. Light defeated his ultimate opponent and thought he won, then this little kid comes around destroying both him and his pride.

remz

isn't the rumor is that Shueisha doesn't allow Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata to end it after L's death? You can see how different it is after his death. This is why I like Bakuman much more than Death Note.

Bakuman is interesting because their last story was that death note expy, that they get pressured to push beyond their original planned ending of having to the two leads take each other out at the same time. I thought while reading it that that was probably their original plan for death note- have light and L take each other out at the same time

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
What was their reason for killing Naomi off, and why are people angry about it?

I thought that Light killing her was the first time he was really shown to be cruel/seemed to be enjoying himself. Following on from killing the FBI agents, it underlined that he really was a bad guy in all this.

Korigama

What was their reason for killing Naomi off, and why are people angry about it?

I thought that Light killing her was the first time he was really shown to be cruel/seemed to be enjoying himself. Following on from killing the FBI agents, it underlined that he really was a bad guy in all this.
Because "she would have caught Kira too soon". Therefore, the decision was to hand a character established as intelligent and rational the idiot ball in order to kill her off in the very same scene in which she first met Light, as opposed to doing something that a writer who isn't a hack would do such as reevaluating what was originally envisioned for a story and seeing where unexpected developments while crafting it would lead.

But that's okay, though they killed off the only decent female character in the entire series ASAP, at least we had the likes of MISA stick around all the way until the very end of it...ugh.

Nose Master

The Yotsuba(?) arc is okay, just to see what a rando would do with the book. Didn't feel the same, though. Near and Mello are shit. I usually pretend one of the live action movies' endings is canon:
L writes his own name in the book with "dies peacefully" in 30 days to trap Light and win.

Top Bottom