• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Finally beat the second boss... area three here we gooooo

I never did find the vending machine dudes. Or medicine for that one guy. Or a way up to the other side of that exo-lift near Ops... Ah well.

Stay right under PAX, so all you have to do is time dodges on the foot stomps. Just don't get caught doing long combos, so you can quickly dash in and out when he raises his feet.

Between the leap, and the short range hit with the right, it's a little more complex than that. But yeah, closer = better.

Toxa

I'm still doing some experiment :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPH3CXyjWMA

with a a lynx setup I'm way faster now and it's fun but of course I'm vulnerable.
I still need to get a full torso lynx armor but I don't know how ... ?
I think I managed to regain health a bit faster but it's sill slow for the moment.

Should I stick to the lynx armor the entire game in order to qui quicker or there is other fast armor later in the game ?

with a a lynx setup I'm way faster now and it's fun but of course I'm vulnerable.
I think I managed to regain health a bit faster but it's sill slow for the moment.

Should I stick to the lynx armor the entire game in order to qui quicker or there is other fast armor later in the game ?

Ok. I can see you already have the Lynx torso equipped. At 5:48 I can see you have the Lynx head gear blueprint and have not created it yet. You need to build all the armour, head, body, arms and legs and equip all of them to get the bonus. You are equipped with a Scarab headgear.

Getting blueprints involves removing enemy limbs of all pieces of the armour set from those that equip the armour set. Different enemies wear different armour sets. They are persistent so you can easily farm armour sets when you know where they are in the level.

Health implants you just need you to explore more. Take your time.

What armour sets to wear depends entirely on what you prefer to play like or where you are. For the section leading up to the second boss I wore the Liquidator (name?) armour, it gives a immunity to environmental damages like the corrosive pools in that level.

As far as I am aware there is no other speedy armour. However I have tried to avoid spoilers so I could speaking out my arse here ; )

*Splinter

To get torso armour you have to target the body (right analogue stick down (but not to the legs) on PS4).

Capra

So I just got to the final area I think -
The Nucleus

Has anyone experienced any graphical glitches in this area, or this game in general, when playing on PS4 Vanilla? I'm noticing stuff like my staff suddenly ballooning at the tip and other geometrical distortions and certain textures flickering at random. Now I'm wondering whether this is due to the game or if it could be my hardware - either the external hard drive I'm using or my PS4's GPU is faulty... Hopefully not the latter.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Huh, so I think I found out what the non-Euclidean geometry problem was. I was seeing it on what I thought was the floor and on my weapon... Which is explicitly
nanomachine-based
. So I think
the nanocloud effect on my spear is glitching out when combined with whatever effect is being applied to the nanoswarms in The Nucleus, causing it to freak out momentarily at random intervals
. Honestly pretty amusing, now that it seems harmless.

Toxa

To get torso armour you have to target the body (right analogue stick down (but not to the legs) on PS4).

Ok. I can see you already have the Lynx torso equipped. At 5:48 I can see you have the Lynx head gear blueprint and have not created it yet. You need to build all the armour, head, body, arms and legs and equip all of them to get the bonus. You are equipped with a Scarab headgear.

Getting blueprints involves removing enemy limbs of all pieces of the armour set from those that equip the armour set. Different enemies wear different armour sets. They are persistent so you can easily farm armour sets when you know where they are in the level.

Health implants you just need you to explore more. Take your time.

What armour sets to wear depends entirely on what you prefer to play like or where you are. For the section leading up to the second boss I wore the Liquidator (name?) armour, it gives a immunity to environmental damages like the corrosive pools in that level.

As far as I am aware there is no other speedy armour. However I have tried to avoid spoilers so I could speaking out my arse here ; )

thanks for the tips guys

My drone got a new upgrade and I can now open some new doors that was locked and I've found a new area in the second lvl
with a hidden boss
and new guys with flamethrower that's are a bit annoying

I'm pretty sure there's another lock that my drone can open but I don't remember where (maybe the first lvl ?)

I managed to get my hands on a new exoskeleton that allow to carry more implants and that's great beacause I felt a bit limited .

anyway I'm going to create the linkx helmet to get the full amor

here an older vid (way before the new exo) to see my evolution :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7QaqPMZZY

*Splinter

thanks for the tips guys

My drone got a new upgrade and I can now open some new doors that was locked and I've found a new area in the second lvl
with a hidden boss
and new guys with flamethrower that's are a bit annoying

I'm pretty sure there's another lock that my drone can open but I don't remember where (maybe the first lvl ?)

I managed to get my hands on a new exoskeleton that allow to carry more implants and that's great beacause I felt a bit limited .

anyway I'm going to create the linkx helmet to get the full amor

here an older vid (way before the new exo) to see my evolution :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7QaqPMZZY
That new area with the flamethrower guys is the correct way to progress.

A note on other locked doors / optional areas:
There are other drone locked doors but they are just optional, most of them give rare upgrade materials I think. I remember one near the beginning of area 3.

I would recommend keep progressing until you get "security clearance", then go back to earlier areas to unlock the optional bits if you want (drone locks, scanner doors, high core power locks).

Toxa

That new area with the flamethrower guys is the correct way to progress.

A note on other locked doors / optional areas:
There are other drone locked doors but they are just optional, most of them give rare upgrade materials I think. I remember one near the beginning of area 3.

I would recommend keep progressing until you get "security clearance", then go back to earlier areas to unlock the optional bits if you want (drone locks, scanner doors, high core power locks).

correct way to progress ? it's an optional way or mandatory ?

the boss with red arms is mandatory

well interessting

You continually return to that area. It's a frikking rabbit warren. I have to say it has some impressive level design this game. The short cuts always make sense and yet are surprising. The inter-connected ness with Central Production B. I honestly think it gives FromSoft a good run for their money.

I have finally beaten the 4th boss. And the enemies in the next area really up the ante. Struggling to find how the lift gets to floor 3 though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just got this game. I just
rescued the scientist
in area 3.

This game is harder than Souls games or is it just me? Those robot dog/scorpion things are nasty, goddamn.

I find the camera and controls to be a bit lacking, but it's still above average. In some cases it was really terrible though, like fighting those robot dogs in closed quarter, urgh. Couldn't see shit.

Level design is fantastic, but it's marred by really bland and unmemorable environments and I suspect a large part of the labyrinthine aspect is because of that.

Level design is fantastic, but it's marred by really bland and unmemorable environments and I suspect a large part of the labyrinthine aspect is because of that.

You are not the first to say this. Although I do wonder, if you believe this. Could you supply alternative examples of memorable/not bland industrial environments from other games? Was Dead Space better? Where is the bench mark? Just out of curiosity of course. It's not like opinions are right or wrong. Personally I am enjoying the environments and I struggle to see how it could be improved upon.

Moff

Just got this game. I just
rescued the scientist
in area 3.

This game is harder than Souls games or is it just me? Those robot dog/scorpion things are nasty, goddamn.

I find the camera and controls to be a bit lacking, but it's still above average. In some cases it was really terrible though, like fighting those robot dogs in closed quarter, urgh. Couldn't see shit.

most people seem to think that trash is harder, bosses are easier than souls
personally I think it's easier everywhere, mostly because you can adjust your implants to adapt quickly. you can have tons of heals if you want.

the robot dogs are terrible, though, I just ran past them and I think it might be intended like that, at least the first time you encounter them in a non-optional area, which is pretty open and you drop down a hole somewhere, where they can't follow you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You are not the first to say this. Although I do wonder, if you believe this. Could you supply alternative examples of memorable/not bland industrial environments from other games? Was Dead Space better? Where is the bench mark? Just out of curiosity of course. It's not like opinions are right or wrong. Personally I am enjoying the environments and I struggle to see how it could be improved upon.
Well that's the thing, industrial environments are inherently bland. :p Like, it's just not exciting to walk around large containers and grey walls, sorry...

Rarius

They also super buffed the player since the game's release, as at launch a lot of the stuff in the game was... handled poorly and needed adjustments

the robot dogs are terrible, though, I just ran past them and I think it might be intended like that, at least the first time you encounter them in a non-optional area, which is pretty open and you drop down a hole somewhere, where they can't follow you.

The robot dogs are really easy. As soon as one figures out their patterns they are a piece of cake

Well that's the thing, industrial environments are inherently bland. :p Like, it's just not exciting to walk around large containers and grey walls, sorry...

Lol. Horses for courses I suppose. Personally I found them quite menacing, I felt the atmosphere in the levels helped convey an almost horror vibe. I was reminded of Dead Space in a lot of ways.

That being said I do believe there is room for improvement, I thought the first area was the worst of the lot, so far. Too often in the game they fall back on dark corridor = scary, which fails more than hits the mark. I also think that 3rd area could have been so much more interesting visually and it wasn't. The potential there was missed.

I still feel the game hit more, than missed. I hope they did well enough on sales to improve and iterate on the next game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great, I got the medicine for that weird dude, but now I can't talk to him (or the other NPC in the medbay either). I tried reloading the game but no help.

What should I do? I'm afraid of advancing the story and messing up a questline now...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh, getting even better... now I was talking to Irina in the Circulation tower, then some flamethrower asshole started attacking, I panicked and attacked and aggroed her...

Can I make her non-hostile? :( Who the FUCK thought it was a good idea to spawn a mob enemy right next to her? JFC

Edit: nevermind, just killed her. Ugh.

The third boss (
Big Sister
) is quite simply one of the worst bosses I've ever come up against. The camera, targeting and controls are abysmal.

Just got there and yeeeeeep. Makes Paarl seem positively balanced

Oh, getting even better... now I was talking to Irina in the Circulation tower, then some flamethrower asshole started attacking, I panicked and attacked and aggroed her...

Can I make her non-hostile? :( Who the FUCK thought it was a good idea to spawn a mob enemy right next to her? JFC

Edit: nevermind, just killed her. Ugh.

Just got there and yeeeeeep. Makes Paarl seem positively balanced

Yeah that was poor enemy placement. I took a moment at that point prior to talking to her. Saw him walking down the corridor towards the room. Made me take the fight to him quickly. I was lucky and she didn't get hit. Ironically
You kill her later anyway

I get the camera issues people have with the third boss's third phase. It was tricky. Although at that point I had usually only the final part to worry about so it wasn't a big deal, took two attempts IIRC. Never had an issue with the first two phases though.

I never found the medicine for the dude in Ops. Sounds like a bug there, like turning off the medbay music, it resets every time you load the game.

Toxa

You continually return to that area. It's a frikking rabbit warren. I have to say it has some impressive level design this game. The short cuts always make sense and yet are surprising. The inter-connected ness with Central Production B. I honestly think it gives FromSoft a good run for their money.

I have finally beaten the 4th boss. And the enemies in the next area really up the ante. Struggling to find how the lift gets to floor 3 though.

I this level lol but yes indeed the level design is really good.
now my linkx amor is now complete and my character is now more effective so I feel more able to deal with the enemies .
I think I'll stick to linkx armor until I 've found something more interesting .
Before I try to beat the 3rd boss I'll continue to improve my armor first

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The dog bots are really intimidating at first but once you figure out their tells and where to stand in relation to them they aren't too bad. You need to be mid range most of the time with them. Get too far and they'll do the long distance lunge attack that does tons of damage though its pretty easy to dodge unless its a cramped space. Get too close however and they'll start attacking with their tail or by doing that backflip kick. Stay at mid range and you won't have to worry about the close up attacks and they'll often just follow you around waiting for you to get close or move farther away.

Basically just goad them into doing their backflip kick when their back is to a wall and they will basically set you up for a combo from a faster weapon or one, maybe two hits from something heavier. Rinse and repeat. Also knock the tails off as fast as possible to remove like half their attacks and make them far more manageable.

I this level lol but yes indeed the level design is really good.
now my linkx amor is now complete and my character is now more effective so I feel more able to deal with the enemies .
I think I'll stick to linkx armor until I 've found something more interesting .
Before I try to beat the 3rd boss I'll continue to improve my armor first

I found having a set of the Liquidator armour very useful when encountering the corrosive areas. As it grants you immunity to environmental damage.

Bear in mind though your first build of armour uses MK1 parts. If you build from MK2 you pay more in scrap than if you built from MK1 onwards. I only realised this when I had no MK1 parts left and was getting MK2 from the enemies I was encountering.

Hstallion is right with regards to the dogs. Once you knock the tail off remember to then target the legs. If you leave the targeting alone after removing the tail it reverts to generic unfocused attacks. This does not help take them down quick.

Also I cannot emphasize trying different weapons enough. Switching to heavy duty when first encountering tough enemies made my life so much easier.

Yeah, ready to uninstall after having gotten stuck on Big Sister. Even looked up guides for the boss and there isn't a single one where the player doesn't just take a dozen hits and spam heals through it. This game is not worth it. Terrible enemy variety and relies on big damage instead of remotely interesting movesets. The combat has a really good feel to it but that's it. I spent 9 hours fighting the exact same hammer guys and claw guys with some incredibly mediocre bosses and thoroughly unexceptional art design. The game also lacks a sense of progression, with far too much time between upgrades.

mulac

Fuck Black Cerberus. Seriously, fuck that so called boss.
One shot kill staggers and it's over.

Been stuck on him for over a week and while I feel close to the end and it's been an enjoyable ride I can't for the life of me beat this guy. Got close ONCE and even fighting the multiple PAX is ok, but it's just freaking frustrating.

Any tips? I know how to destroy the barrels so only one pax to fight and tried the concussion drone but nope.

Sigh...might have to leave it and come back in like a weeks time.

Moff

Been stuck on him for over a week and while I feel close to the end and it's been an enjoyable ride I can't for the life of me beat this guy. Got close ONCE and even fighting the multiple PAX is ok, but it's just freaking frustrating.

Any tips? I know how to destroy the barrels so only one pax to fight and tried the concussion drone but nope.

there is an implant that slows down time, helps a lot with him
also try to have the PAX hit the 2 white tanks, that will spawn no more of then AND give you better loot from the boss

mulac

there is an implant that slows down time, helps a lot with him
also try to have the PAX hit the 2 white tanks, that will spawn no more of then AND give you better loot from the boss

Yeah. It's frustrating! Anyway vent over...

Calabi

Yeah I had a lot of trouble with this. I maxed my armour, health and regens. I didn't know about the barrels. I just did lots of jumping forward attacks, and barely managed it in the end.

I almost uninstalled the game because of this boss fight.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Have you tried using the concussion droid? It will knock him off his feet for a few hits that will most likely give you enough energy to use it again. Rinse and repeat. Though his tells are pretty large and like the dog enemies, you can basically coax him into certain attacks by playing the footsie game with him.

Yeah I had a lot of trouble with this. I maxed my armour, health and regens. I didn't know about the barrels. I just did lots of jumping forward attacks, and barely managed it in the end.

I almost uninstalled the game because of this boss fight.

You need to learn his patterns first. That is also helpful as after him, you'll face characters that have the same move set and are just as strong.

That said, if you're having issues, go back and get one of two items that slow down time. I'm at work and I forget what they're called atm. Oh, also enable combat slow down in the options. It helps make boss fights a bit easier.

Theorry

Xbox One X support confirmed btw. Givin how good the Pro support is. I cant wait.
Now we need some DLC announcement at Gamescom,

I just killed
Davey
by accident. Should I restart? Or is it just the trophy I'll miss out on?

Um, did he at least give you the loot first? If not, it's up to you. It's nothing but stuff you can farm.

Xbox One X support confirmed btw. Givin how good the Pro support is. I cant wait.
Now we need some DLC announcement at Gamescom,

But we already know we're getting DLC. They told me at E3 ;) But there is something coming, I doubt know if it will be announced at Gamescom though.

Toe-Knee

Um, did he at least give you the loot first? If not, it's up to you. It's nothing but stuff you can farm.

Nope. I hadn't finished the quest line.

If it's just something I can get and it doesn't have any knock on effects on the story I will just leave it.

Thanks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I just killed
Davey
by accident. Should I restart? Or is it just the trophy I'll miss out on?

I messed up 2 or 3 quest lines, while testing weapons in the med bay.

Protip: NEVER test weapons with other people in the med bay.

I came back and cheesed through the Big Sister with energy heals. The R&D area was pretty good. New enemies for once, a neat atrium area.

Was almost stuck at Black Cerberus but figuring out his attacks and using Concussive Drone makes him incredibly easy. Didn't know about the PAX tanks though.

derFeef

Folks...

The%20Surge%20DLC.JPG

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-surge/the-surge-dlc

Deck 13 Interactive announced today that their sci-fi spin on the Dark Souls series is getting a hefty chunk of DLC this year. Set in an amusement park that's directly attached to the Creo mega-factory the main game is set in, the upcoming expansion is called A Walk in the Park, which is funny because it will be anything but that.

edt: made thread

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well fuck. Guess I'll have to guess what the final boss is and keep a separate save file for the DLC, then.

That is, if I ever get it. I might not bother. I am taking a break from it by playing Lost Legacy and feel no great urge to return to it. It's an OK game but just not nearly as compelling as Souls games or Nioh.

Top Bottom