• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Question, I am in the middle of the demo and decided to check Gaf then saw this thread.

Does the full game perform a bit better than the demo?

I can't manage to get a locked 60fps in all areas with my 1080 at 3440x1440 with everything set to max.

Is this reflective of the full game or is it just a case of the demo being less optimized kind of like Horizon 3 was for a while?

It's pretty fun so far I must say.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Question, I am in the middle of the demo and decided to check Gaf then saw this thread.

Does the full game perform a bit better than the demo?

I can't manage to get a locked 60fps in all areas with my 1080 at 3440x1440 with everything set to max.

Is this reflective of the full game or is it just a case of the demo being less optimized kind of like Horizon 3 was for a while?

It's pretty fun so far I must say.

Its really well optimized from most reports. It runs like a dream on the Pro as well.

The intro to this game is so rad, I had no idea it started out like that. I just tried the demo to see what it was like but I think I'm going to follow through and buy it. It gives a strong first impression

Demo sold me on the game, just finished it. Will may save carry over if I buy the game? The "unlock full game" in the demo menu doesnt work so I have to buy from outside the game.

Google search says yes. So disregard my post.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Damnit...I was fighting a dude near some stairs. My finishing move caused me to plummet off the side.

Also, this second area is STILL kicking my ass. It's so much more difficult than the first, ha.

Ratrat

I actually enjoyed the demo...

So how long is this? Whats the replay value?
I know there is no online and only a few bosses.

I played it on ps4 and I thought it looked pretty bad graphically. The artstyle makes it hard to see details on the enemies. Like which side they are facing even. Kind of want to play this in 4k.

Ryuuga

Banned
The demo was okay and this is a noticeably improvement over Lords of the Fallen. Still, I find it to be a rather bland take on the Souls formula.

HStallion

Might attempt to Platinum this on my NG+ run through. Got nearly all the trophies and quests finished except for a few on the first run through the game. Just a couple things like getting all the 2.0 weapons and the last couple armor sets. That and I want to see what they changed up for NG+... and you know the game is fun as fuck!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damnit...I was fighting a dude near some stairs. My finishing move caused me to plummet off the side.

Also, this second area is STILL kicking my ass. It's so much more difficult than the first, ha.

Let me guess, it was the guy on the gun, up the stairs to the left?

What do I do against the dog robots in the third area? Getting my arse kicked atm.

First get the timing to dodge the leap without creating too much space. Then master parrying the tail to knock it off. After those, all you have to do is avoid the backflip.

They are barbecue chicken once downloaded.

legbone

Help. I'm in the second area and have all my armor at mark II save one arm. So I keep taking wrecked arms to ops but when they are salvaged my Mark II force regulator supply doesn't increase. I upgraded one arm this way, but now I'm just stuck. Any ideas, is there some type of bug I'm not aware of?

Edit: OK. My mark I regulators are increasing. How the hell did I upgrade that other arm? I'm not doing anything different.

Help. I'm in the second area and have all my armor at mark II save one arm. So I keep taking wrecked arms to ops but when they are salvaged my Mark II force regulator supply doesn't increase. I upgraded one arm this way, but now I'm just stuck. Any ideas, is there some type of bug I'm not aware of?

You're probably getting Rank 1 parts from them. I'm a little earlier than you, from the sound of it, but the only consistent source of Rank 2 stuff I've found is those two guys in Scarab gear.

HStallion

For people having trouble with the
robodog
enemies there are a couple ways to go about it to make them much more manageable to handle. The big one is to always target their
tails
as it only takes a couple good whacks with a single rig weapon to destroy it and that instantly takes care of several of their attacks as well as
dropping a mod each time its broken off. Its a good mod and you can sell the ones you don't use to make some extra scrap quickly.

To take them on in general its all about your footsie game and positioning. Most of their attacks, especially their big ones have obvious tells both visual and audio cues that they're gonna happen. The long range lunge attack especially gives you a lot of time to dodge. It also helps to use the environment against them as if they fly into a corner or wall you have a moment to jump in and whack them, sometimes two or three times if you time it right and are using a faster weapon.

The other move that can be abused is their backflip kick. That happens much quicker but it only occurs when you're right near the enemy whereas at long or medium range they will do the lunge attack. Stay close, watch for the flip about to happen, dodge and then lunge in and you've got a second or more to unload on them. Better yet if they're facing away from a wall they'll jump back meaning you can just start attacking immediately after you dodge and do a pretty significant amount of damage.

So the big thing with them is to abuse the fact they're very prone to use those two attacks and the fact that once you figure out the timing, the range and the openings you can basically neutralize them in like 45 seconds, if that. If you don't have a lot of space keep their back to a wall and abuse the opening after their backflip kick. If you've got more space to play with then use their lunge against them as well as the backflip strategy if you can get their back against a wall.

legbone

You're probably getting Rank 1 parts from them. I'm a little earlier than you, from the sound of it, but the only consistent source of Rank 2 stuff I've found is those two guys in Scarab gear.

Yep see my edit above. Are the fast "wolverine" guys sporting scarab? If so, that's it. Thanks for the quick response. Well, back to farming.

Yep see my edit above. Are the fast "wolverine" guys sporting scarab? If so, that's it. Thanks for the quick response. Well, back to farming.

Not all of them, just a couple I've found so far. Most of the two-weapon dudes are sporting Rhino. The Scarab guys are in the Recycling room, looking over the area with the two... fire-crane things.

K.Jack

There are 4 dudes in Scarab armor worshiping the vending machine, in the room with the crates. I farmed the hell out of them.

Ah man I am enjoying this game. Just got back to Area 2 after visiting RnD. Rome wasn't built on a day, lol.

Shit just got real. Whoever in here was talking about using HD weapon, thank you my friend. It isn't my main, but damn if it ain't useful when encountering new tough's.

Quick question is it worth returning to area 1 to farm mk 1 parts or just farm Area 2 V2.0 for scrap to buy past the mk 1? Kinda tempted to build all versions of exo suits I can.

Also
how many of those bloodied badass' are there?

psychotron

Picked this up today. Got all base Lynx gear, killed mini boss and first proper boss on my first try. Got cocky, then the second area came up. Fuck, this is tough, mostly because I can't find damn shortcuts. I found an upstairs area with these spider things that own my ass. I finally unlocked the elevator that takes you to toxic waste after running through a shit load of areas, lol. Fun game, but easy to get lost so far.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Picked this up today. Got all base Lynx gear, killed mini boss and first proper boss on my first try. Got cocky, then the second area came up. Fuck, this is tough, mostly because I can't find damn shortcuts. I found an upstairs area with these spider things that own my ass. I finally unlocked the elevator that takes you to toxic waste after running through a shit load of areas, lol. Fun game, but easy to get lost so far.

There's a genius shortcut that you can find in that second area. It took me forever to locate it, but man...My life got a LOT easier after that. Still a hard as balls area, but at least my corpse runs aren't so annoying now.

So I am about...6 hours or so in, beat the first 2 bosses and now getting my ass handed to me by the dog/scorpions mentioned above. Aside from those annoying enemies, the lack of loot is frustrating. I have been using tier 2 Lynx set since Boss 1 and the Boss 1 weapon drop for the past 5 or 6 hours of game time. All the other weapon drops are pointless I assume as their damage is significantly less at the same level. For example I beat the 2nd boss and killed all his legs so I assume I got the "upgraded" weapon but it does crap damage.

Is there any more loot? Or will be using the same armor and same weapon for the rest of my playthrough? Maybe upgrading once or twice more if I ever find enough of the metals.

HStallion

So I am about...6 hours or so in, beat the first 2 bosses and now getting my ass handed to me by the dog/scorpions mentioned above. Aside from those annoying enemies, the lack of loot is frustrating. I have been using tier 2 Lynx set since Boss 1 and the Boss 1 weapon drop for the past 5 or 6 hours of game time. All the other weapon drops are pointless I assume as their damage is significantly less at the same level. For example I beat the 2nd boss and killed all his legs so I assume I got the "upgraded" weapon but it does crap damage.

Is there any more loot? Or will be using the same armor and same weapon for the rest of my playthrough? Maybe upgrading once or twice more if I ever find enough of the metals.

There are several different armor sets and if you've beaten the second boss you should have already encountered enemies wearing the new sets of armor. I think I had like pieces from 4 or 5 sets by the second boss.

*Splinter

The second boss' weapon does less damage because it attacks faster, it'll still do similar damage overall (at least when you've upped your proficiency a bit). Pretty much all the weapons are viable, with only minor variations in each class.

You will get to upgrade your armour throughout the game, it's just a bit regimented about when you can have the next tier of upgrade materials. You tend to spend ages at one tier until you get to an area with a new enemy type and suddenly have plenty at the next tier.

There's a reasonable number of armour sets in the game. At first it's just the typical light/medium/heavy choices but it's worth building a full set of each type you find. They each have a special perk when fully equipped (viewable on the stats screen I think). I'd say the armour variety is slightly better than the weapon variety, although it can take a little farming to collect them all and upgrade the ones you like.

The second boss' weapon does less damage because it attacks faster, it'll still do similar damage overall (at least when you've upped your proficiency a bit). Pretty much all the weapons are viable, with only minor variations in each class.

You will get to upgrade your armour throughout the game, it's just a bit regimented about when you can have the next tier of upgrade materials. You tend to spend ages at one tier until you get to an area with a new enemy type and suddenly have plenty at the next tier.

There's a reasonable number of armour sets in the game. At first it's just the typical light/medium/heavy choices but it's worth building a full set of each type you find. They each have a special perk when fully equipped (viewable on the stats screen I think). I'd say the armour variety is slightly better than the weapon variety, although it can take a little farming to collect them all and upgrade the ones you like.

There are several different armor sets and if you've beaten the second boss you should have already encountered enemies wearing the new sets of armor. I think I had like pieces from 4 or 5 sets by the second boss.

Thanks guys, I just finally killed all the spider dogs but felll down a shaft and died :( Back to square one.

psychotron

There's a genius shortcut that you can find in that second area. It took me forever to locate it, but man...My life got a LOT easier after that. Still a hard as balls area, but at least my corpse runs aren't so annoying now.

I think I got it. Second boss down. Amazing how fast that fight is over if you get it right. It's over equally as fast if you don't, lol.

I must say that this game, even with corridors can be almost overwhelming with "where the fuck do I go?" moments. Guess it's more tense because trash enemies are deadly as hell in this. It's definitely a relief when you finally make it to the train, or a boss shortcut.

*Splinter

I think I got it. Second boss down. Amazing how fast that fight is over if you get it right. It's over equally as fast if you don't, lol.

I must say that this game, even with corridors can be almost overwhelming with "where the fuck do I go?" moments. Guess it's more tense because trash enemies are deadly as hell in this. It's definitely a relief when you finally make it to the train, or a boss shortcut.
I definitely appreciate the focus on mobs instead of bosses in this (compared to other Souls games). General exploration is a lot more tense and you don't get such severe difficulty spikes.

psychotron

I definitely appreciate the focus on mobs instead of bosses in this (compared to other Souls games). General exploration is a lot more tense and you don't get such severe difficulty spikes.

It's definitely an adjustment. I need to figure out parrying, but can't seem to get it right just yet. So I'm playing the dodging game instead for now. I also just realized I had a shit ton of consumable scrap piles in my inventory. Time to level up!

The third boss (
Big Sister
) is quite simply one of the worst bosses I've ever come up against. The camera, targeting and controls are abysmal.

I don't think I've parried anything yet, lol. I block, they reel back, I get the two-hit combo off block but it's pretty minor damage, all things considered.

K.Jack

I don't think I've parried anything yet, lol. I block, they reel back, I get the two-hit combo off block but it's pretty minor damage, all things considered.

The block right as they attack, that forces them to stagger back? That IS the parry.

psychotron

Just found the shortcut back to operations in the third area. That was a relief, as those fucking spider things are a real pain in the ass. Mess up once and they pummel you. Still enjoying myself though, very much.

The block right as they attack, that forces them to stagger back? That IS the parry.

You don't actually have to block right as they attack, though; there's a pretty generous window. I thought that was the whole point.

That, and the damage isn't actually that great if you're smacking armor.

Anyway, guess I'm #LessBad than I thought!

Toxa

dudes I've had hard time to beat the firebug what a pain of the ass ...

I need help to understand how the implants work beacause I do not understand all.
I understant that you can carry or use implant depending the power core.

for example at the begining of the game a was able to instantly regenerate a good half of my health bar but not anymore now it takes ages to reload the bar. How can I fix that ? I hope I didn't deleted the implant

now I can regain health 6x times but if I change something I can only do once ... wtf ?

please help, what is the best setup ?

dudes I've had hard time to beat the firebug what a pain of the ass ...

I need help to understand how the implants work beacause I do not understand all.
I understant that you can carry or use implant depending the power core.

for example at the begining of the game a was able to instantly regenerate a good half of my health bar but not anymore now it takes ages to reload the bar. How can I fix that ? I hope I didn't deleted the implant

now I can regain health 6x times but if I change something I can only do once ... wtf ?

please help, what is the best setup ?

Firebug:
I didn't use camera lock when he was doing the stompy leg trick. Locked camera when he charged or moved high to drop down. Second phase I tried to hit his legs when they slowed down. Dash attack and out really helps. Also switch up weapons it made a difference for me.

Implants are brilliant when you work them right. Core power = more power to use more implants. Can only switch them at Medbay.

It sounds like, to me, you have equipped multiple health bar boosts. So your health bar is too high for your healing implants.

The colours of the implant denotes the power it uses, plus the description of course. If your implants need more power than you have then they stop working till you switch them out or increase your core power.

Best set up is whatever works for what your doing. That's the beauty of this implant system.

One thing I didn't realise till recently is that different armour has different core power usage. I couldn't have the same implants I used with my Lynx setup that I could with Rhino. FYI.

Now can someone clue me in on how to deal with boss 4, cheap ass mofo is ruining me 😂

Toxa

Firebug:
I didn't use camera lock when he was doing the stompy leg trick. Locked camera when he charged or moved high to drop down. Second phase I tried to hit his legs when they slowed down. Dash attack and out really helps. Also switch up weapons it made a difference for me.

Implants are brilliant when you work them right. Core power = more power to use more implants. Can only switch them at Medbay.

It sounds like, to me, you have equipped multiple health bar boosts. So your health bar is too high for your healing implants.

The colours of the implant denotes the power it uses, plus the description of course. If your implants need more power than you have then they stop working till you switch them out or increase your core power.

Best set up is whatever works for what your doing. That's the beauty of this implant system.

One thing I didn't realise till recently is that different armour has different core power usage. I couldn't have the same implants I used with my Lynx setup that I could with Rhino. FYI.

Now can someone clue me in on how to deal with boss 4, cheap ass mofo is ruining me 😂

about the firebug :
the first part is pretty easy after all but for both part when it use the leg storm attack or the super jump it's better to not use the lock .
for the second part you must stay close to him avoid a possible instant kill when it tries to ram you
and I decided to focus on the weak point and use another weapon the double blades ( I don't remember the name) which is much quicker weapon and it works finaly.

first lately I was using an heavy armor (rhino ?) with the PAX blade it was very powerful but very slow so I decided to turn around and to downgrade to a light armor and the double blades and somehow it was very fun and interesting .

here some experiment that I did in the second lvl to try my new setup and it was effective :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azdI7NI4Rs

for the moment my power core lvl is at 36 or 37 I mostly use red implant but I need more practice to understand the way it works and so far I wasn't able to find a way to regain health quicly

Drain You

I'm so excited to play this. I just watched some more gameplay and I'm just really digging everything about it. Shame it'll be a while for me.

about the firebug :
the first part is pretty easy after all but for both part when it use the leg storm attack or the super jump it's better to not use the lock .
for the second part you must stay close to him avoid a possible instant kill when it tries to ram you
and I decided to focus on the weak point and use another weapon the double blades ( I don't remember the name) which is much quicker weapon and it works finaly.

first lately I was using an heavy armor (rhino ?) with the PAX blade it was very powerful but very slow so I decided to turn around and to downgrade to a light armor and the double blades and somehow it was very fun and interesting .

here some experiment that I did in the second lvl to try my new setup and it was effective :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azdI7NI4Rs

for the moment my power core lvl is at 36 or 37 I mostly use red implant but I need more practice to understand the way it works and so far I wasn't able to find a way to regain health quicly

Well congrats on beating there 2nd boss.

Looking at your vid I can see you are not wearing a full set of Armour. There are bonuses to wearing a complete set. Lynx confers a speed bonus that's very useful. So start cutting more parts off the enemies 😉

Also your implants are the health over time ones not the instant heal. Look for the red cross with an arrow pointing directly down. Not an arrow in a circle.

You have two health bar increases which is good. You probably don't need the one that shows enemy health bars. There are more useful implants; increase stamina etc.

That is probably your issue. Unless you have worked it out now? Bonne Chance!

Toxa

Well congrats on beating there 2nd boss.

Looking at your vid I can see you are not wearing a full set of Armour. There are bonuses to wearing a complete set. Lynx confers a speed bonus that's very useful. So start cutting more parts off the enemies ��

Also your implants are the health over time ones not the instant heal. Look for the red cross with an arrow pointing directly down. Not an arrow in a circle.

You have two health bar increases which is good. You probably don't need the one that shows enemy health bars. There are more useful implants; increase stamina etc.

That is probably your issue. Unless you have worked it out now? Bonne Chance!

thanks :) that's great I'll try to get a complete armor, about the redcross pointing down I think I've deleted the only one I had :( is there any way to get another one ?

thanks again now I have a better understanding about the implants

thanks :) that's great I'll try to get a complete armor, about the redcross pointing down I think I've deleted the only one I had :( is there any way to get another one ?

thanks again now I have a better understanding about the implants

No worries, glad to help.

There are a few heals if you explore. I must have about 4 of 1.0 and 3 of the 2.0 and I am just a bit further on than you. There is also a heal using energy implant that I picked up somewhere.

If we learn anything here it is to never get rid of any implants. You might not need them right now, but they allow you to customise your character to any given situation in the future.

Ravelle

I just arrived at the first boss, PAX, the loader bot looking robot.

I got destroyed, two health potions isn't enough for this type of fight, even Blood Borne and Dark Souls bosses didn't do this much damage in the beginning.

The two flying bots that shoot lasers at you at the gate also claim some health if you're not fast enough.

Toxa

No worries, glad to help.

There are a few heals if you explore. I must have about 4 of 1.0 and 3 of the 2.0 and I am just a bit further on than you. There is also a heal using energy implant that I picked up somewhere.

If we learn anything here it is to never get rid of any implants. You might not need them right now, but they allow you to customise your character to any given situation in the future.

ok I'll keep that in mind thanks again

I got destroyed, two health potions isn't enough for this type of fight, even Blood Borne and Dark Souls bosses didn't do this much damage in the beginning.

The two flying bots that shoot lasers at you at the gate also claim some health if you're not fast enough.

IMO the pax boss was way more easier than the first boss in Dark Souls 3

Best advice I have on that front is to try and keep as close to PAX as possible. Dude's only really dangerous attack is the wide sweep, all others are fairly easy to avoid.

K.Jack

Stay right under PAX, so all you have to do is time dodges on the foot stomps. Just don't get caught doing long combos, so you can quickly dash in and out when he raises his feet.

Top Bottom