• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

addyb

I also think it's a bit meh after spending some time on the demo. It's definitely better than LotF by quite a margin but I also felt a bit bored with it after an hour or so. The combat is great but I just found the initial area and enemies just a bit bland. I guess I'm more a sucker for the world's from create and i actually do prefer LotF setting. I'm not a big sci fi nut really.
It's definitely a game I'd pick up in a sale for under £20 and it's better than I expected but it still gives me a meh vibe.

Jingo

Well I tried the demo and I think its "meh" and this is supposed to be the best part of the game from what I understand. I think I'll pass. Its doing almost nothing for me. I'm glad they put out a demo tho so I won't waste my money on it.

who told you the demo part was the best part? Not even close!

derFeef

Unfortunately some popular Soulsbourne Youtubers were violently against even the idea of this being a good game within the genre.
Fuck them. Instead of being happy that there is a new, competent game in their favorite genre, they bow down to the same 2 franchises over and over again. I don't get it.

who told you the demo part was the best part? Not even close!
Yeah what the hell.

arhra

1l5mWc0.gif

Well, they've done a good job of matching my usual Souls game experience.

The trial has pretty much sold me on the game, although I'm probably not going to buy it just yet. Some combination of sale pricing, DLC, and an XB1X patch will pull me in sooner or later though.

down 2 orth

Kinda surprising to read all the positive comments on this game. I thought Lords of the Fallen was a solid experience, so I'll have to give this a shot eventually as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Kinda surprising to read all the positive comments on this game. I thought Lords of the Fallen was a solid experience, so I'll have to give this a shot eventually as well.

Its a far superior experience all around. Deck 13 really stepped it up with this game. I'm actually excited to see what they do next if they can make another leap of such quality with their next game.

bati

Its a far superior experience all around. Deck 13 really stepped it up with this game. I'm actually excited to see what they do next if they can make another leap of such quality with their next game.

I don't know, I think LotF is a really solid game overall, if a little short (if you're used to DS length). Tbh I'm not sure why it got so universally panned, I platinumed it and and often had more fun with it than with Souls games.

Moff

Is there no way of selling gear/schematics?

you only get shematics once and gear can be scrapped for parts, which is an important part of the game because you build/upgrade gear with that those parts.
the scrapping happens automatically when you access a build station

you only get shematics once and gear can be scrapped for parts, which is an important part of the game because you build/upgrade gear with that those parts.
the scrapping happens automatically when you access a build station

Ahh, I wondered what the recycling meant. Cheers

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I think I'm getting close to the end of the demo. So far, I love it. The setting is right up my alley, the story and weird shit with CREO has me crazy enticed....

My only gripe? My 970 rig is experiencing some pretty significant FPS dips for no real reason. Is there some unofficial graphical tweak patch, or is my card really going to struggle with this game at times? Also, maybe it's just me, but creepy robot enemies (like that mini boss with the flaming crushing arm in the demo) scare me more than monsters and demons. So A-fucking-plus.

Playing the demo and enjoying it much more than lotf but still not as much as a souls game

My three main complaints are probably weapon movesets seem very samey, the lock on system is clunky (although there are settings for this,I'll look in to them later) and hits really don't have much impact at all :/ I think the complete lack of rumble on ps4 is one of the problems.

I did it. Took a few more attempts.
It just took being a bit more patient and learning the tell for that dash move. It was pretty much a OSK for Warren.
I started using the drone more too. If your energy is high enough the drone does hit quite hard.

Knock off all the legs, you'll know why after you beat the boss.

So I think I did this. At least when in the second form I couldn't seem to select another body part before finishing him off. I got a level 2 dual rigged weapon. Is this what I should have got?

derFeef

Playing the demo and enjoying it much more than lotf but still not as much as a souls game

My three main complaints are probably weapon movesets seem very samey, the lock on system is clunky (although there are settings for this,I'll look in to them later) and hits really don't have much impact at all :/ I think the complete lack of rumble on ps4 is one of the problems.

Movesets arevery different, there are great and different to execute combos for every weapon even. Lock on works for me, no complaints there. As far as hits go, there is a setting in the option that improves upon that, not sure what it's called but it adds a little pause to the hits which helps.

*Splinter

which is the best part ?
The last area was my favourite, I enjoyed being completely lost in a hostile area, desperately seeking the next safe spot (or even a route back to the previous). Gets really tense as you see your scrap count racking up with no way to spend it and knowing you're unlikely to be able to recover it.

how long it takes to beat the game ?

Typically takes 8-10 hours. I've gotten it down to about 6.5 hours so far. But I've beaten the game 7 times so far.

There is dlc coming right?

Yep. I was the one who interviewed Timm Scwhank at E3 and it was confirmed by him that we are getting DLC. He wasn't really allowed to say much, since they wanted to get the base game issues corrected first. We'll hear something about it soon - Gamescom 2017, likely.

The PS4 has no rumble? That's odd. I played it on PC and there was rumble. As for the moveset, it is fairly limited, but they make up for that with the large amount of weapons. It's either HHH, VVV, or, HHV, VVH. Yeah. the lock-on system isn't always the best, especially when trying to select the chest. I mentioned that to Deck 13 during my time with them at E3 and was told they were aware of the complaints.

HStallion

So I think I did this. At least when in the second form I couldn't seem to select another body part before finishing him off. I got a level 2 dual rigged weapon. Is this what I should have got?

Correct. Each boss has a condition that if you complete it you get
a special version of their boss weapon
Try screwing around with combos and moves and you'll notice some cool stuff will happen.

oh ok thanks I was expecting something like 20h or more to beat.
that's fine I don't want to spend to much time on this

It took me about 20 hours just so you know.

Correct. Each boss has a condition that if you complete it you get
a special version of their boss weapon
Try screwing around with combos and moves and you'll notice some cool stuff will happen.

It took me about 20 hours just so you know.

Yeah I had a play and it has some cool looking combos. Shame my dual rig weapon skill is so low. Like level 1 low. Doh!

I am almost at about 20 hours and not out of the second area yet. Lol. Although I am in no hurry and not the most competent in combat. Am enjoying taking my time and getting lost.

No way you first playtrough its 10 hours, 20 and im being optimistic.

I'm also someone who has over 500 hours on Dark Souls 3 (PC), 300 on PS4, 200ish on Xbox One. That doesn't even count Dark Souls 2 on all platforms (484) on PC or Dark Souls 1. I've also had access to The Surge longer than most due to having access to the review copy. It also depends if you plan to level up by farming or just going in raw. Farming definitely adds to the play length.

That said, you've given me an idea. Playing through the game and timing it via stop watch.

HStallion

I will say one thing that added to my playtime is that there are many sections in each area that you will have a very hard time running past enemies if at all. Some of these areas were also fairly bull shitty in terms of the way things are set up and not my favorite spots of the game by any means.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Bought the game officially after finishing the demo. Started my playthrough over since I now understand how the game "works". This game needs so much more love.

I found a staff weapon. I'm not sure I like the way it combos. However, I'm messing around with all the weapons to keep my proficiency up. I'm assuming that impacts your damage and/or your damage range?

*Splinter

Special versions of boss weapons? Is it worth looking this up as I start a given boss encounter so I don't miss out on something?
They have slightly more damage than the regular version, I think some have different movesets as well? It's not a huge deal, I used the regular version of the first boss weapon for most of the game.

You probably get a trophy for getting all the V2 weapons, fwiw

Loving the demo! Feels way better than I thought it would. Kind of feels easy? Hard to tell from just a demo though. Should I have a full set of big dumb armor before encountering a boss? Also that optional construction thing was cool lol surprised it dies in 3 hits though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Bought the game officially after finishing the demo. Started my playthrough over since I now understand how the game "works". This game needs so much more love.

I found a staff weapon. I'm not sure I like the way it combos. However, I'm messing around with all the weapons to keep my proficiency up. I'm assuming that impacts your damage and/or your damage range?

You definitely don't want to grind proficiency on all weapon types. I'd pick one fast style and one heavy style, at most.

EvB

Grabbed the full game today and have been playing all day. I’m not very good at these types of games, but I’m enjoying this one

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Took down the first boss and got the 2.0 weapon. Wasn't too terribly difficult once I realized how to game it.

Second area is fantastic. I guess I just don't understand why people find this shit to be boring/bland/drab, because it is right up my alley.

I found my first pair of dual claws or whatever. The speed of attack on those makes it hard to use anything else at this point. The boss weapon is strong, but WAY too slow to deal with more than 1 enemy at a time. Speaking of that, those two security guards right at the start of the second area with the staves. I killed them and didn't get their weapon. I already have a staff on me, but it got me thinking...

Besides bosses, are there any other "one time" enemies I should be aware of so that I can make sure to chop the appropriate parts?

derFeef

I love strong and slow weapons in this game, contrary to faster or pole weapons in Souls games. I could not get used to the claws at all, it's just not my playstyle.

But seriously, how do you parry/counter again? lol...

*Splinter

Does that stuff carryover into NG+? Also, what's the max proficiency on a given weapon?
It does carry over, I don't know if there's a max. You don't have to feel locked in to your weapon types btw, I started using a staff in the second half of the game and it didn't take long to get up to a reasonable proficiency. In my one playthrough I used I think 3 weapon types quite evenly.

Besides bosses, are there any other "one time" enemies I should be aware of so that I can make sure to chop the appropriate parts?
There are 2 more not far away. They will also respawn later. I don't think there are any limited enemies (besides bosses).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It does carry over, I don't know if there's a max. You don't have to feel locked in to your weapon types btw, I started using a staff in the second half of the game and it didn't take long to get up to a reasonable proficiency. In my one playthrough I used I think 3 weapon types quite evenly.

There are 2 more not far away. They will also respawn later. I don't think there are any limited enemies (besides bosses).

Thanks. I'll keep that all in mind. Those dual claw things are a blast, but I really like the chain saw and the one staff I have. A little hunting tells me I should probably chop off one of those guards weapons because it looks legit.

And man, I just really hope this game doesn't disappear. I feel like the lukewarm reviews scared people off. And the complaints about the "boring industrial environment" seem to have missed the point of the setting. But that's not my battle to fight. I'll just keep playing and enjoying the living crap out of this game until we get that DLC!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just saw a quick ad bout this online. Whoa it looks cool, is it actually any good?!

Download the demo and give it a try. It's fucking fantastic. See my previous posts for more gushing.

But if you're into that industrial creepy robots-gone-wild vibe and Soulsborne games, there's a very high chance that you'll enjoy it.

SomTervo

How are mouse/keyboard controls on this? Quite liking the demo but would prefer PC performance and not fucking my right thumb up on my DS4.

Top Bottom