• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

derFeef

So I had an interview today with Deck13. During the interview, they mentioned that the surge will get a new DLC this holiday season. They were planning on letting us know about this in a couple weeks however they mentioned that to me doing my interview.

Well they said that they will talk about post-launch support at E3. :)

h0tp0ck3t

So I had an interview today with Deck13. During the interview, they mentioned that the surge will get a new DLC this holiday season. They were planning on letting us know about this in a couple weeks however they mentioned that to me doing my interview.

giphy.gif

YES!

Q8D3vil

Just finished, game is really good with fun customization and very good level design.
My only gripe is the environment design is very samey. I wish it was more varied in terms of texture and design.
Solid 8/10 for me.

danowat

Banned
How does it compare to Nioh in terms of difficulty and overall tone?

I don't mind the difficulty of Nioh, apart from some of the bosses, is The Surge easier or harder?

What about overall tone?, I find Nioh, and too a greater extent Bloodbourne, a bit soul crushing and overbearing in terms of tone, is The Surge any more light hearted?

I like the idea and premise of The Surge, and am tempted to jump on it now it's come(ing) down in price.

Just picked this up on sale on Steam. So far so good, I really like the limb cutting mechanic. Runs well on my PC, excited to keep delving into the world.

Just got the Platinum Trophy :)
New game plus was easier than my first playthrough.
Black Cerberus and the last boss killed with 3 or 4 attempts.
New game plus was a lot of fun.
I'm excited to see what they will develope next.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just got the Platinum Trophy :)
New game plus was easier than my first playthrough.
Black Cerberus and the last boss killed with 3 or 4 attempts.
New game plus was a lot of fun.
I'm excited to see what they will develope next.

They have DLC for the Surge coming later this year but no details.

RAWRferal

How does it compare to Nioh in terms of difficulty and overall tone?

I don't mind the difficulty of Nioh, apart from some of the bosses, is The Surge easier or harder?

What about overall tone?, I find Nioh, and too a greater extent Bloodbourne, a bit soul crushing and overbearing in terms of tone, is The Surge any more light hearted?

I like the idea and premise of The Surge, and am tempted to jump on it now it's come(ing) down in price.

Haven't played Nioh but have played all the souls games, this is just as challenging as those.

Similar tone also, very eerie, however there are more voiced NPCs which help lighten the mood a little.

Fucking badass game, especially if you're into Souls etc. Really really surprisingly good and some interesting mechanics which set it apart from it's contemporaries. Definitely check it out.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is my GOTY so far. It's everything I have dreamed, in wishing for a Sci-Fi take on Dark Souls, with extra mechanics I didn't even know I wanted.

What a bounce back from Lords of the Fallen, for Deck13. I fucks with you guys from now on.

spek.gif~original

HStallion

I honestly think the game would be great if it had some kind of PVP MP option. The focus on taking other human sized enemies and targeting limbs and stuff would be awesome. Combine that with the different armor, mod load outs and the drones could lead to all kinds of crazy match ups. Perhaps for a sequel.

pa22word

As far as the comparison to nioh goes, the surge is a radically different game. Like if nioh is on the very far end of these types of games in terms of systemization then the surge is the absolute polar opposite of it, featuring basically zero systemization and opting instead for an armor and perk driven system instead of base statistical measurements for rig building. I'd say the closest game to compare it to would more be bloodborne. As far as difficulty goes, I think nioh is probably harder especially late game. Prepatch this game was pretty damned unforgiving, but they slowed down the game in order to make it more easier by gargantuanly buffing block (it was basically worthless in 1.0 other than for parrying) and making implants give you quite a bit more health, but it's still pretty hard at times. This game will absolutely let you down coming from nioh in terms of bosses though. I consider nioh to probably have the best bosses all around out of any of these games, and even then the surge has too few bosses and none of them are really that challenging.

Oh really? I missed that for some reason.
I would like that.

As far as details, there's gotta be something in it about Guttenberg. Dude is name dropped throughout the game and just drops off a cliff into nowhere during the final act. Maybe go to the moon and hunt down GB?

I honestly think the game would be great if it had some kind of PVP MP option. The focus on taking other human sized enemies and targeting limbs and stuff would be awesome. Combine that with the different armor, mod load outs and the drones could lead to all kinds of crazy match ups. Perhaps for a sequel.

MP was probably outside of the budget for the game. It's for the best as is, the game is short enough without burning a ton more of their resources on networking and pvp balancing.

Moff

finally finished it and thought it was very good, definitely my favorite souls clone. Leveldesign is stellar and combat feels incredibly good and satisfying. I dare say I had more fun with the combat here than in Bloodborne. I also really liked the levelup system with the implants. I felt it really helped me pick my playstyle and adjust it for certain encounters.

biggest weakness of the game is definitely the setting. I would also really have loved to see the basic souls multiplayer features as well as maybe ranged weapons and some kind of magic.
still, very good game, enjoying NG+ at the moment, it just feels so visceral and satisfying.

derFeef

Nice Patch:

Additions:
Korean Language support has now been added!
Added a FOV slider for the game camera
Added an option to configure when to play music in the medbay
The number of save slots has been increased from 4 to 10
Added a setting for muting the speech of the anchorman videos played in the game world

Fixes:
Fixed a crash associated with pathfinding in the abandoned labs level
Reset the player position after a finishing move if that move would make the player fall to his death
Weapon materials will now drop correctly from NG+4 onwards
Removed weapon duplicates from the inventory, award nano cores for duplicate boss weapons
Elevators were sometimes not triggered correctly when entering them the instant they arrived
Enemy super armor will now scale properly through NG+ and beyond
Properly mark all drone upgrades to be unequipped when entering NG+
When awarding an injectable because of gained tech scrap, award one for all injectable types currently equipped, not only the selected one
Make sure equipped injectable implants always respect the order in which they are equipped when cycling through them
Giving Jo tech scrap will now update the UI counter properly
Hazard armor sets now also negate damage from toxic gas
It's not possible anymore to trigger a drone attack while the drone is on its way to overcharge a circuit
Toxic autofilter implant will now working properly if there is more than one in the inventory (NG+)
Androids that have been finished once will now properly damage the player after getting up again
Prevent P.A.X. from hitting itself with rockets colliding with the ceiling instantly when firing them
Fixed a problem that sometimes interactions could not be performed when starting NG+
The restart hint after changing the display refresh rate in the options menu will now correctly display.
Player can no longer get stuck on the train from Central Production to Abandoned Production
Player can no longer be killed by PAX falling on its knees
Player is no longer moved up the legs of PAX
Player can no longer be killed in PAX wake up cut scene
After lying to Alec about Maddy’s death the audio note at Alecs' body will now correctly play
Base of the Big Sister 1/3 is no longer lockable after it has been destroyed
Enemies in the arena of the Black Cerberus will no longer react to noise that the player makes
Camera in the fight versus Rogue Process will now always set correctly
Various fixes in Central Production B to prevent enemies from climbing on top of rails
Weapon trails are immediately visible after the player enters Central Production B
Sometimes when starting NG+ and opening the inventory, the player was still displayed wearing gear from the previous playthrough
Weapon buffs given by injectables were sometimes not displayed correctly in the Specs screen after switching gear
The camera configuration was not reset properly in all cases when leaving the photo mode

Tweaks:
Increased the light intensity for the black cerberus and scarab chest armor
Super armor values for heavy duty weapon sets have been tweaked
SMAA has been tweaked to remove more jagged edges
Don't play the 'block breached' animation after performing a perfect block that drains all the player's stamina
Derive the hit blocked animation play speed from the set duration instead of deriving the duration from the animation
Nerfed some melee attacks of the fire and ranged hazard enemies
Reduced the stamina cost of the staff dash attack
Tweaked super armor of charged attacks
Increased super armor of staff kick, decreased damage
The confirmation dialog for overwriting save games has been replaced by an information dialog. You need to manually delete savegames now before reusing a savegame slot.
Reduced the invincibility duration for android enemies when they get up after being defeated once

It's funny. After getting the platinum trophy and returning to other games, I still think about The Surge, lol.
My brain still feels the gameplay and atmosphere of running around in the game.
That means something.

Very excited for the DLC. Hope it's similar to the Souls add-ons.

N° 2048

It's funny. After getting the platinum trophy and returning to other games, I still think about The Surge, lol.
That means something.

Same, still read this thread and hope for DLC news every time I click it.

SoundLad

Unexpectedly spent the last 2 hours having a blast with the trial on ps4 pro

Very impressed so far, hacking off limbs and gathering loot feels good so far

bati

That means something.

I still have the damn song stuck in my head lol.

Didn't like the demo on first play through but gave it another chance last night and actually enjoyed it. The combat is satisfying, and the world is dripping with atmosphere.

Might pick this up.

Demo is damn good. I wish they had released it right off the bat. I mean, what did they have to hide? The game runs super smooth, looks good and has satisfying combat. I'll definitely be looking into this later.

DemWalls

As brief as it is, I really, really liked the intro. Does a good job at introducing the player to the setting, and the protagonist certainly ends up being a surprise. Too bad little, if anything, is done with it for the rest of the game, I think. Still, I wonder how people in a similar situation feel about it.

laxu

finally finished it and thought it was very good, definitely my favorite souls clone. Leveldesign is stellar and combat feels incredibly good and satisfying. I dare say I had more fun with the combat here than in Bloodborne.

I had the opposite experience after playing the demo. Level design was uninspiring industrial complexes filled with dark corridors and having seen a let's play of the full game, that is true of the rest of the game.

I found the combat deeply unsatisfying with an extremely limited moveset, enemies that are easy to dodge or are not menacing at all. Went to play BB right after this and it is so much better in nearly every way.

It's not a bad looking game and runs well but the setting doesn't really work and I didn't find much variety at least in the weapons offered in the demo.

HStallion

I had the opposite experience after playing the demo. Level design was uninspiring industrial complexes filled with dark corridors and having seen a let's play of the full game, that is true of the rest of the game.

I found the combat deeply unsatisfying with an extremely limited moveset, enemies that are easy to dodge or are not menacing at all. Went to play BB right after this and it is so much better in nearly every way.

It's not a bad looking game and runs well but the setting doesn't really work and I didn't find much variety at least in the weapons offered in the demo.

The combat has a ton of depth so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There are a variety of dodges/parries and each of those has unique attacks and moves tied to them, sometimes entire combos and boss weapons only add to that and the actual basic combat has a lot of nuance to how it works. Combine that with the limb targeting and you've got a meaty as Hell combat system. Then you add in the mods you can get that can really change up how you play and it only becomes deeper. You might not like it but its by no means limited.

That and the level design, not the art style, is better than several of the Souls games themselves and more similar to Demon and Dark Souls 1.

I picked this up cheap in UK (Tesco for £25). Well worth it at that price.

So much better than LoF IMO of course.

It helps that it's that Sci Fi Souls vibe a lot.

The customisation using the Implant system is brilliant. Really allows you to mix up your playstyles without committing fully to it.

Quick couple of questions though GAF.

I am just evading attacks rather that trying to worry about blocking. Does it have a Parry/Riposte system like souls? Or is it just blocking? I was never very good at parrying in Souls so I have avoided trying to use it here.

Also:

The second boss (Waste Removal Spinning Arm Bot) is kicking my ass a bit. I can get him to the second stage easily enough, but then the spinning, flamey, arms of death tend to screw me over. I am trying to dash attack the centre underside of the disc and then dodge out. Is this the right idea? Or am I missing something?

HStallion

I picked this up cheap in UK (Tesco for £25). Well worth it at that price.

So much better than LoF IMO of course.

It helps that it's that Sci Fi Souls vibe a lot.

The customisation using the Implant system is brilliant. Really allows you to mix up your playstyles without committing fully to it.

Quick couple of questions though GAF.

I am just evading attacks rather that trying to worry about blocking. Does it have a Parry/Riposte system like souls? Or is it just blocking? I was never very good at parrying in Souls so I have avoided trying to use it here.

Also:

The second boss (Waste Removal Spinning Arm Bot) is kicking my ass a bit. I can get him to the second stage easily enough, but then the spinning, flamey, arms of death tend to screw me over. I am trying to dash attack the centre underside of the disc and then dodge out. Is this the right idea? Or am I missing something?

To your question about alternatives to blocking, there are a couple. First thing to know is that the bigger the weapon, the more capable its able at blocking where as the really small weapons like twin rig stuff often are very poor at blocking. They can stop smaller attacks from weaker enemies, but larger enemies or big attacks will blow right through their block. This applies to larger weapons as well but they can handle a lot more except for minibosses and bosses and such.

As to actual alternatives you can jump or duck a lot of attacks by holding block and then pressing up or down on right stick. There is also an actual parry by timing the block at the exact moment of an attack. Then of course there are your actual dodges to left and right, back and forth. Not only that but certain weapons, boss weapons especially, have some unique moves that can act like dodges/parries. Oh and I almost forgot but each every single one of those moves has attacks tied to it so experiment. You can do some pretty acrobatic shit with the twin rig set up for example.

As to the spoilers:
The second form you just need to run like crazy from the spinning death move where it chases you around. The other moves have some serious tells that you need to take advantage of. The attacks where it spins one of its three remaining arms you need just stand back and then jump in and attack right as its finishing. The move where it slams into the ground you just need to be very aware of.

K.Jack

Also:

Knock off all of the legs before attacking the center. Besides making the fight easier, you'll receive a special version of the bosses weapon as a reward.

psychotron

Do we know if progress transfers from the demo to the full game? It saved my game, so I'm curious. I got all the lynx gear and felt pretty badass by the end.

I tried the demo and I really, really liked what I played. I'm one of those people that hated Lords of the Fallen after the first hour of gameplay, but I can't wait to play The Surge.

Thanks H Stallion and K Jack.

Appreciate the advice.

I am currently sticking to the single rig setup. It works well for me in the levels. I might experiment with some parrying attempts later.

I have only had a few attempts at the spoiler so far and the tells aren't quite sinking in yet.

Knock off all of the legs before attacking the center. Besides making the fight easier, you'll receive a special version of the bosses weapon as a reward.

Out of interest does the damage the legs take in the first form remain, when it goes to second form? One tactic I did try (before getting squished) was damaging all the legs without knocking them off, in the easier first form, to see if it would affect the second form. It wasn't immediately obvious if that did anything, but I was probably a little keyed up and not paying enough attention.

HStallion

Appreciate the advice.

I am currently sticking to the single rig setup. It works well for me in the levels. I might experiment with some parrying attempts later.

I have only had a few attempts at the spoiler so far and the tells aren't quite sinking in yet.

Out of interest does the damage the legs take in the first form remain, when it goes to second form? One tactic I did try (before getting squished) was damaging all the legs without knocking them off, in the easier first form, to see if it would affect the second form. It wasn't immediately obvious if that did anything, but I was probably a little keyed up and not paying enough attention.

Knock off all the legs, you'll know why after you beat the boss.

K.Jack

Appreciate the advice.

I switched from Single Rigged to Heavy Duty, and never went back. The HD combos are insanely good in comparison. The impact and stagger are amazing.

And yes, the damage carries over between forms.

What armor set are you using?

h0tp0ck3t

Appreciate the advice.

Since you like Single Rigged I had alot of sucess against that boss using dash attacks with the
PAX Imperator
. Sprint in, tap attack, jump backwards. As long as you don't over commit you should get out without taking damage

addyb

Going to try the steam demo in a short while. Disappointed the game is still pricey for a pc game. Can't find it cheaper then £29.99 (Amazon UK)

Thanks Stallion. Will do my best.

I switched from Single Rigged to Heavy Duty, and never went back. The HD combos are insanely good in comparison. The impact and stagger are amazing.

And yes, the damage carries over between forms.

What armor set are you using?

I tried most weapons out on the first level. At first the single rigged saw blade thing didn't gel. I did enjoy the heavy blue light blade for a while, as well as the cobalt pole. But then that second area made me learn to love the single rig set-up.

Rocking the full Lynx set at the moment. I favour the speed over tank build.

@H0tp0ck3t

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up

Edit: Out of curiosity does the weapon usage bonus confer much? Like does it really hamper you to switch weapons? Should I be committing to one weapon type all game?

Jingo

Just as i tought, people are trying and liking the game,there was so much hate without even trying the game, this is a true hidden gem and should get much more recognition, it was great from deck 13 to do a demo, they will sell more copies for sure.

K.Jack

Edit: Out of curiosity does the weapon usage bonus confer much? Like does it really hamper you to switch weapons? Should I be committing to one weapon type all game?

I wouldn't use more than 2 weapon types.

Just as i tought, people are trying and liking the game,there was so much hate without even trying the game, this is a true hidden gem and should get much more recognition, it was great from deck 13 to do a demo, they will sell more copies for sure.

Unfortunately some popular Soulsbourne Youtubers were violently against even the idea of this being a good game within the genre.

gogosox82

Well I tried the demo and I think its "meh" and this is supposed to be the best part of the game from what I understand. I think I'll pass. Its doing almost nothing for me. I'm glad they put out a demo tho so I won't waste my money on it.

Top Bottom