• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

im up to security area still running with single handed chainsaw(?) and lynx armor. i like the speed of both. are there any other armor/weapon setups people recommend for ng+? (not a fan of tank builds) im confident i can finish the rest of ng with this setup.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ahh fuck me, just lost 18000 scrap right before I was about to return to Ops and I was going to upgrade all my Lynx gear...

*Splinter

im up to security area still running with single handed chainsaw(?) and lynx armor. i like the speed of both. are there any other armor/weapon setups people recommend for ng+? (not a fan of tank builds) im confident i can finish the rest of ng with this setup.
Twin rigged weapons are even faster I think.

HStallion

Finally really clicked with this game. I've got most of the mechanics down pat now from the jump/duck dodge to the feel of most of the weapon classes. Mostly sticking to the double handed high impact weapons and single rig weapons as now that I've got the evade moves and the enemy attack patterns and timing down I can usually just avoid most attacks and use a well timed block to open up most enemies. Really liking the game and its a pretty huge leap from Lords of the Fallen but I guess that's saying nothing new in this thread.

Area 2 is fucking huge as well, I've already found like a half dozen short cuts and its still going! The level layouts are sprawling and convoluted in the best ways possible. Really well done on the developers parts and feels more like Demon's Souls in some ways than most of the Souls games that have come after it.

nkarafo

Personally, i like staffs. But i still use Lynx armor although i'm only around 15 hours in the game. I don't know if there are better armor sets.

h0tp0ck3t

The only other one I can really think thats comparable to Lynx is the one you get in the last area called
Chrysalis
armor

I believe it has the same stamina reductions as Lynx. Set bonus is health on kill.
Personally though I didn't like it cause it's ugly as sin lol

Personally, i like staffs. But i still use Lynx armor although i'm only around 15 hours in the game. I don't know if there are better armor sets.

This game is nice like that. I don't really think there is a best armor set, they all suit different playstyles. Running Lynx in NG+ and dodging like a madman seems totally viable

HStallion

Keep trying to take out the staff guys in area 2 but those fuckers are tough. I also want that armor their wearing.

h0tp0ck3t

Keep trying to take out the staff guys in area 2 but those fuckers are tough. I also want that armor their wearing.

They don't respawn so when you do take them down make sure to pick a different body part.
You can get the full set plus their staff if your careful (there's 4 of them in the level and they don't show up as regular enemies till later)

HStallion

They don't respawn so when you do take them down make sure to pick a different body part.
You can get the full set plus their staff if your careful (there's 4 of them in the level and they don't show up as regular enemies till later)

Oh didn't realize that. Well then gotta try and get those 4 body parts then.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Fuck sake, those 4-legged machines are a right pain in the dick.

I'm in the Biolabs section, after you drop down the hole and go thru the sewers, you get to a big room with a sentry, one of the fast enemies and two of those robots. I killed the first two enemies and decided to pull one of the 4-legged gits into the previous room. Just one of his attacks is almost a 1HK but I managed to kill him or so I fucking thought, I went back into the room and saw he had respawned.

At first I thought it was the other patrolling robot so I fought him again, he had only a sliver of health left and then disappeared before my fucking eyes. I went back into the main room and, low and behold, he had respawned at full health again!

Seriously, once you pull the enemies you only have a certain amount of time to kill them or else they respawn in front of you at full health! WTF, am I missing something?

I closed the game out of frustration, what a horrible gameplay feature.

Jinaar

Fighting those 4 legged guys outside the bio building right now. Agreed, with a long wind up weapon, the changes to get hit first are about 90%. Don't like them at all.

Question on blocking. I cannot seem to understand it much in The Surge. Against regular human enemies, I have tried to time the block to be pressed just before being hit or just to block in general, and both lead to me taking full dmg regardless. Only drones with regular blocking is possible, or so it seems.

Can someone take the time to explain if I am doing it wrong? I mean most games you can just time things for counters and what not, but here is it suppose to work or not?

Thanks for your time.

h0tp0ck3t

Fuck sake, those 4-legged machines are a right pain in the dick.

I'm in the Biolabs section, after you drop down the hole and go thru the sewers, you get to a big room with a sentry, one of the fast enemies and two of those robots. I killed the first two enemies and decided to pull one of the 4-legged gits into the previous room. Just one of his attacks is almost a 1HK but I managed to kill him or so I fucking thought, I went back into the room and saw he had respawned.

At first I thought it was the other patrolling robot so I fought him again, he had only a sliver of health left and then disappeared before my fucking eyes. I went back into the main room and, low and behold, he had respawned at full health again!

Seriously, once you pull the enemies you only have a certain amount of time to kill them or else they respawn in front of you at full health! WTF, am I missing something?

I closed the game out of frustration, what a horrible gameplay feature.

Maybe a glitch? I've never seen enemies respawn without going to Ops

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Maybe a glitch? I've never seen enemies respawn without going to Ops

It happened to me twice, both when they were almost dead. They just reset and were back to their original spots with full health. It didn't seem like a glitch, the second time I could swear I seen a deconstruction/teleportation animation.

Fighting those 4 legged guys outside the bio building right now. Agreed, with a long wind up weapon, the changes to get hit first are about 90%. Don't like them at all.

Question on blocking. I cannot seem to understand it much in The Surge. Against regular human enemies, I have tried to time the block to be pressed just before being hit or just to block in general, and both lead to me taking full dmg regardless. Only drones with regular blocking is possible, or so it seems.

Can someone take the time to explain if I am doing it wrong? I mean most games you can just time things for counters and what not, but here is it suppose to work or not?

Thanks for your time.

I'm only slightly further than you but in my limited experience, blocking isn't worth it unless you are planning to counter. The counter window seems generous enough so far though.

HStallion

Thanks for your time.

Blocking is only really effective against enemies not using high impact weapons. Instead of just blocking try the jump/duck dodge move which is hitting the right stick up or down while blocking. It gives what I feel is a far more generous window to avoid an attack than the direct counter move by timing your blocks.

Jinaar

Blocking is only really effective against enemies not using high impact weapons. Instead of just blocking try the jump/duck dodge move which is hitting the right stick up or down while blocking. It gives what I feel is a far more generous window to avoid an attack than the direct counter move by timing your blocks.

Fair enough, it seems you may be right in that regard, as it would make more logical sense for the developer to place the Jump/Duck mechanism in for usage and make it generous somewhat, to compensate for the lack of a true blocking mechanism like in a Souls Game that is based on the shields block rating and stamina usage.

Thanks folks!

HStallion

Fair enough, it seems you may be right in that regard, as it would make more logical sense for the developer to place the Jump/Duck mechanism in for usage and make it generous somewhat, to compensate for the lack of a true blocking mechanism like in a Souls Game that is based on the shields block rating and stamina usage.

Thanks folks!

Yeah dodging is often the best bet against a lot of enemies that use heavy weapons or hit very hard but enemies wielding single handed weapons, twin rigs and such can often be tanked with the block but using the jump/duck dodge often leaves them open for a heavy hitting counter attack. You can also counter from a block so I often let enemies run up and hit my block and then attack a split second later which is often a pretty devastating counter and will often stun or stumble enemies. Don't get too greedy though because most recover quickly even against high impact weapons.

HStallion

Fuck so pissed. I took out both of the staff wielding guards but as I was grabbing the drop from the one guy my game or something glitched out and he wouldn't pick it up and I got whacked into the back and lost the armor pick up. Well there goes rocking the full set from the second area.

Fuck so pissed. I took out both of the staff wielding guards but as I was grabbing the drop from the one guy my game or something glitched out and he wouldn't pick it up and I got whacked into the back and lost the armor pick up. Well there goes rocking the full set from the second area.

You will face a tons of those guys soon enough. No worries.

HStallion

You will face a tons of those guys soon enough. No worries.

Yeah I figured as much, mostly wanted to get the full set while I am in area 2.

On a related note, what the fuck do I do now?
I've killed both smelters,
I've killed the security guys with staffs and the 4 Scarab armored guys worshiping the soda machines. Not sure what to do now.

hawk2025

I've killed the security guys with staffs and the 4 Scarab armored guys worshiping the soda machines. Not sure what to do now.

You are basically ready for the boss - just need to find it!

*Splinter

Sounds like you missed a route. If you can't find it have a look around near
where the two smelters were

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I cheesed the 2 smelters by chipping them to death with the drone, from across the chasm.

Two damage at a time takes dedication.

N° 2048

I cheesed the 2 smelters by chipping them to death with the drone, from across the chasm.

Two damage at a time takes dedication.

I got lucky because I fought one (didn't kill it), fell and died and when I went back there was only one left. Bug perhaps. Still got two coins.

HStallion

The two smelters can be
separated using the controls in the room that the elevator in the Smelter area leads to. Connect the bridges and then reassign their positions
Just clear the smaller enemies out beforehand and it makes for a much more manageable fight.

I also just go to the boss. Not too hard actually but I've gotten much better at the game. Now just fucking around with the staff though, not sure I'm a fan yet despite it having a fun move set.

SLOSifl

The game finally clicked for me recently. I'm past the NPC in the executive forum, level 80, with some MkV gorgon (the rest stuck at 3, but then will go to 5 right away). Switched from the one handed chainsaw after getting the good Black Cerberus boss weapon and taking it to MkV as well.

Those shitass robots with the tail eventually got super easy. I used their implant drop from the tail to get an extra 2k per kill and leveled up enough to unlock all the overcharge boxes. Also went back and easily killed the smelters, got my maus on for a while. I love the weird sound effects (and I think the ops music changes?) and the zero energy cost, really gave me space for scrap and heal implants for long runs through levels to find security doors, high-level overcharges, etc.

Even this far in I'm still surprised when I open shortcuts or realize where I am in relation to earlier areas. The level design is very good. The power curve is well paced too. Going back to the starting area and wrecking shit is fun, but it's also totally possible to overreach and get murdered by the most basic enemies.

I'd love a sequel, and I hope this sold well enough to make that a possibility.

No doubt poster above this post. It takes a bit but once you get it, you get it. I really, really like this game. Hope for DLC or a sequel

HStallion

Just got to the third area. The second was rather huge and very interconnected. Really liked that and the simple realistic signs pointing out points of interest where rather helpful when I did get lost on occasion. Second boss wasn't bad, the second half was a bit of a bitch but rather easy once figured out. Got the 2.0 weapon, is the difference just stats?

Just got to the third area. The second was rather huge and very interconnected. Really liked that and the simple realistic signs pointing out points of interest where rather helpful when I did get lost on occasion. Second boss wasn't bad, the second half was a bit of a bitch but rather easy once figured out. Got the 2.0 weapon, is the difference just stats?
It also changes the effects of some of the moves. Try the spin attack and the back flip attack,some cool shit happens

HStallion

It also changes the effects of some of the moves. Try the spin attack and the back flip attack,some cool shit happens

I'll have to try it out, haven't been a big fan of the low impact weapons that much though I will have to give it a try. Makes me wish I got the 2.0 weapon from the first boss.

Moff

I love the way how you upgrade your gear in this game with the decapitations, really well done and motivating. level design is very good as well. the setting and art design is not very exciting, I think that's the main reason this game is overlooked and not rated very well. they should have done it a bit crazier and add even more bioforge to this. I also would have loved to see ranged weapons and some kind of magic, but I guess they were on a very limited budget.

the limb mechanic is just so good that I am sure we will see more of that in similar games in the future.

HStallion

I would actually love to see MP in a sequel. The game is so focused on fighting humanoid enemies that it would make a really cool PvP experience. With as varied as the moves are for the different weapons and all the implant variations it could make for some really cool match up's.

Q8D3vil

I like this game very much, oddly enjoying it more than DS3.
Weapon and customization are fantastic and a step in the right direction. DS should have evolved it customization after DS2 but it got stuck doing same old shit.

Really hope this one sells well, i really want to see how they evolve next.

HStallion

So I'm in the third area and I've unlocked the first shortcut. Is the only route through
the toxic waste filled area with the Smelter?

HStallion

You can drop down underground in that area :) Smelter is a dead end!

I totally missed
that hole
for the longest time. I knew I was missing something obvious. I've now
disabled the security lock down for the Biolabs
but taking a break for the time being. Hoping to get the rest of the MG Gorgon set. I'm guessing the MG stands for Military Grade?

h0tp0ck3t

I totally missed
that hole
for the longest time. I knew I was missing something obvious. I've now
disabled the security lock down for the Biolabs
but taking a break for the time being. Hoping to get the rest of the MG Gorgon set. I'm guessing the MG stands for Military Grade?

When you beat area 3
go back to area 2 all the way back to the train station that leads to area 1. 2 security guards respawn there and you can finish off the Gorgon set. They also have a suped up dog mech with them so watch out

HStallion

When you beat area 3
go back to area 2 all the way back to the train station that leads to area 1. 2 security guards respawn there and you can finish off the Gorgon set. They also have a suped up dog mech with them so watch out

That's good to know. Didn't think they respawned at all. I'm still trying to figure out where to go next in Area 3 after
meeting the Doctor. Trying to find more of those drone accessible doors now.

Moff

That's good to know. Didn't think they respawned at all. I'm still trying to figure out where to go next in Area 3 after
meeting the Doctor. Trying to find more of those drone accessible doors now.
I searched for 2 hours until I remembered where I saw a drone sign.

The metro station at the end of level 2

HStallion

I searched for 2 hours until I remembered where I saw a drone sign.

The metro station at the end of level 2

I'm still trying to find the boss in Area 3 or at least what to do next. I believe I saw another one in Area 3 and hoping to stumble across it on my exploration. That and I have to kill the Smelter.

Moff

I'm still trying to find the boss in Area 3 or at least what to do next. I believe I saw another one in Area 3 and hoping to stumble across it on my exploration. That and I have to kill the Smelter.
The third boss is
in area2
, after the place I mentioned before.

h0tp0ck3t

You have to go back to Area 2 to proceed.
There is a giant door labled Circulation Tower with a Drone lock next to it

HStallion

Ok that explains a lot. Felt like I was running around in circles and it seems I actually was.

HStallion

Did find a few drone doors in the third area before
returning to the second.
Is there a trick to taking out that one smelter in the toxic area?

Also now that
I'm back in the second area I gave the one addict dude his drug implant but what happened to the lady looking for a staff? Did I fail that quest?

h0tp0ck3t

Well that was fun NG+ spoilers
MK X Claws of the Gestalt + MK IX Black Cerberus set just fucking destroyed the Black Cerberus boss in 2 minutes

Did find a few drone doors in the third area before
returning to the second.
Is there a trick to taking out that one smelter in the toxic area?

Also now that
I'm back in the second area I gave the one addict dude his drug implant but what happened to the lady looking for a staff? Did I fail that quest?

If you equip the Liquidator armor set you will take less damage from Toxic waste. I think a patch in beta on PC makes it so you take no damage. As far as
Irina
I think you are screwed

HStallion

Well that was fun NG+ spoilers
MK X Claws of the Gestalt + MK IX Black Cerberus set just fucking destroyed the Black Cerberus boss in 2 minutes

If you equip the Liquidator armor set you will take less damage from Toxic waste. I think a patch in beta on PC makes it so you take no damage. As far as
Irina
I think you are screwed

Ahh had no clue how to finish her quest. I must have missed a hidden spot or something.

hawk2025

Is it me, or is the (hidden gear spoiler)
Ironmaus armor very overpowered? Very light core usage, good defense. What's the downside? I don't even have enough great implants to max out my core meter with this full set equipped!

Top Bottom